Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
itaynag

Natural Winger With "Cut Inside" PPM?

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I'm having doubts about how to position my wide attacking midfield.

Hi is my best player on the team, extremely good with dribbling and technique, acceleration, pace and agility. Obviously, he is a natural winger.

The thing is that he has a PPM of "Cut inside from left wing", making me wonder if "Inside Forward" wouldn't fit him more.

He's not the best finisher or passer. His best role is to get the ball and make a quick dribble over his opponent.

How would you suggest me positioning him on the field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heya,

I'm playing with a natural winger with the PPM "cut inside from left wing" (left foot strong, right foot weak) and have to say I noticed quite

some nice actions from this dude. Going round his opponent to deliver a cross or cutting inside and finishing with his left foot, both work well.

He also has the PPM's "place shot and run left side".

In my team he's positioned AML.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the Winger role along with a player with the PPM to cut inside can be quite a nice option and give you variety in his play.  Variety can be a very effective tool when attacking.

Remember it's only a tendency.  The Winger won't cut inside all the time, he'll just do it a bit more often than he would if he didn't have the PPM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Remember it's only a tendency.  The Winger won't cut inside all the time, he'll just do it a bit more often than he would if he didn't have the PPM.

And to add to Herne's point, you'll see it as a tendency (meaning he will still run to the outside as well) if he's a left footed player on the left hand side too.

If his stronger foot is the right and he's played on the left, he'll cut in most of the time as that is more natural.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

And to add to Herne's point, you'll see it as a tendency (meaning he will still run to the outside as well) if he's a left footed player on the left hand side too.

If his stronger foot is the right and he's played on the left, he'll cut in most of the time as that is more natural.

To second this. A player's footedness can have a large influence regardless of any Payer Traits or PIs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had success playing even "off footed" players as inside forwards from time to time (done just for spacing/movement) and have had good players do well.  If they have good technique/finishing I had one decent winger chip in about 8 goals/8 assists but getting into the corner of the box and looking for their own shot or short crosses from IMO a more dangerous spot on the pitch than a wide byline cross.  Depends on the player of course. It might be helpful to make sure he isn't too uncomfortable on the off foot just for the versatility (i.e. go from Left Only to Left)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, herne79 said:

Using the Winger role along with a player with the PPM to cut inside can be quite a nice option and give you variety in his play.  Variety can be a very effective tool when attacking.

Remember it's only a tendency.  The Winger won't cut inside all the time, he'll just do it a bit more often than he would if he didn't have the PPM.

http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/players/player-preferred-moves

This is wrong, then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For instance:

PPM cuts inside from both flanks. Player more likely to take the ball from wide position to central áreas.

Contrasting tactical instructions: Run wide with the ball,

So the opposite. You are telling a player to do the opposite he does. Hey Messi, stay wide in the right flank, run wide with the ball and cross. He won't do that or he will do it wrong. It's, at least, confusing for the player.

I see it like using contrasting tactical team instructions: pass into space+retain possession. Hey guys, let's play risky passes but pass short.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're being too literal.

Run wide with the ball, to follow your example, instructs a player on how to behave with all things being equal.  He's not going to do it all of the time - you've seen that yourself already when you questioned why your winger was coming inside when you wanted him to stay wide.  Sometimes he'll decide (Decisions attribute) to come inside, but usually you can expect him to be out wide.  It's not a hard and fast rule as due to the variety of play in the ME, things won't always be equal.

And all of that is before you give him a PPM to cut inside.  Which is a tendency.  So you can expect him to do it a bit more often with the PPM than without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd imagine a side effect of having both the PPM to run with the ball in one direction and an instruction encouraging them to run with the ball in the other direction is that they'll run with the ball more 

(if a player is strongly encouraged to run with the ball in [only] one direction by a tendency or instruction but the defence block it off  then the player usually has a a choice of passing the ball or having a shot instead of dribbling in another direction. Encourage them to dribble in the other direction as well, and they'll usually have an option of dribbling in one or the other direction and encouragement to prioritise that over passing or shooting)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, looping said:

For instance:

PPM cuts inside from both flanks. Player more likely to take the ball from wide position to central áreas.

Contrasting tactical instructions: Run wide with the ball,

So the opposite. You are telling a player to do the opposite he does. Hey Messi, stay wide in the right flank, run wide with the ball and cross. He won't do that or he will do it wrong. It's, at least, confusing for the player.

I see it like using contrasting tactical team instructions: pass into space+retain possession. Hey guys, let's play risky passes but pass short.

 

I bolded the important part for me.

Games are fluid and the players are not robots. As the circumstances come up players will have to make decisions. Even with a "stay wide" role/team instruction sometimes circumstances will come up where it's a good (or bad!) decision to not follow that instruction and players will make that take.  It's like when I played high school basketball and my primary role was spot up for 3 point shots.  I did it enough that my PPM was to spot up behind the arc. It didn't mean that when I saw a good opportunity to cut for a layup I didn't take it. It'd be like me on a fast break saying "I have a clear path to the hoop, but my PPM is to shoot threes so I'm going to do that even though it's not the smartest thing to do."

To use your passing example, if I tell the team to play short it does indeed still mean that a player with a tendency to play through balls will still do that from time to time.  If I train someone to do that though it probably means I'm okay with them exercising their judgment on making that type of play. If I'm not, I try to get them to stop that PPM.

This doesn't factor in all sorts of other aspects like vision, flair, etc that can play into things.  So if I'm telling Messi to stay wide as a wing, but with his vision and anticipation he recognizes that a player is about to make a late push from the center and cutting to the inside will create a chance, he'll be more inclined to do so since he already likes cutting inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...