Sports Interactive Community
robman90

Breaking the 1000 pass mark

Playing as Torino against Sassuolo I managed to complete 1037 passes in the game. Also had 73% possession.

c32d5beb08fde03ab3f6d3cedb94f613.png

Edited by robman90

9 hours ago, Ji-Sung Park said:

And then what happened?

he'll say he lost then say he got FM'd ha

19 hours ago, robman90 said:

Playing as Torino against Sassuolo I managed to complete 1037 passes in the game. Also had 73% possession.

c32d5beb08fde03ab3f6d3cedb94f613.png

wow :o what kind of tactic did you use?? i cant even manage that kind of numbers with barcelona

impressive, i manage around 500 a game with my 3-5-2 but i guess i play to open up spaces rather than ball retention, i dont have retain possesion or work ball into box etc would be interesting to see your tactic and TIs etc 

Tease! Didn't give us the score line or the tactic. 22 shots 14 long shots :lol: it sounds hideous, and probably not built for success...

But taking the possession/passing in isolation it's still intriguing how you got over 1000.

Completing 94% of them at that I'd wager the opposition just stood around the penalty area and let him do what he wanted hahaha.

11 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Tease! Didn't give us the score line or the tactic. 22 shots 14 long shots :lol: it sounds hideous, and probably not built for success...

But taking the possession/passing in isolation it's still intriguing how you got over 1000.

That's 63-64% shots on target. I wouldn't call that hideous at all. Anything over 50% is pretty good.

If I had to hazard a guess, it'd be a very cautious tactic in a formation with lots of buildup triangle (possibly 4-1-4-1) against a team he's much better than (so his players are also quite good) playing very cautious against him as well. So most of the game, it'd be his midfielders and defenders passing the ball to each other, as the opponents just sit back and watched.

Not necessarily @Kawee

At AEK (third best team in the league) I was regularly reaching these numbers playing a control mentality and very fluid shape. I wasn't using any team instructions like pass it shorter or retain possession. It's about creating space and opportunities for successful passes and possession. But they key is to use the possession, rather than just have it. 

17 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Not necessarily @Kawee

At AEK (third best team in the league) I was regularly reaching these numbers playing a control mentality and very fluid shape. I wasn't using any team instructions like pass it shorter or retain possession. It's about creating space and opportunities for successful passes and possession. But they key is to use the possession, rather than just have it. 

Not for 1000 passes! You are just talking about how to make a good possession tactic.

2 minutes ago, fmFutbolManager said:

@westy8chimp I'm not sure what you mean?

You were hitting 1000 passes regularly? In a well balanced tactic? Without shorter passing?

700-850 is about the best I can manage while also playing to win.

If I create an exploit tactic short, low, cautious, bottom heavy, retain possession etc - I still rarely see 1000 passes

Correct. I was regularly doing this. And against strong opposition too. Simple instructions like much lower tempo, deeper defensive line, play out of defence. I used mixed passing and my two central midfielders were instructed to play risky passes.

Possession is a pretty easy commodity, as per the game which is partly a long-term ME weakness in my opinion accentuated in this release, plus AI too [they wouldn't be able to "spot" if you aimed to recycle the ball to disrupt and change to something better suited to push those guys recycling it so easily]. Which is interesting considering that the ball in itself has always played out of the back-line fairly quickly, and you barely get any interaction you get from more cautious or time wasting teams in real football, where the ball can be actually played in between the CBs and also move back to them for pretty long periods. A bit older thus, but as something more on the funnier side, basically 600 passes played per attempt from an older release.

mxrw4fG.jpg

The main key for me has been in holding the ball deeper, as the closer it moves to the opposition goal, the more pressure players find themselves in. This has always been formation and duty area primarily, as they govern forward runs. Plus, naturally, creating a man advantage in the middle of the park, as that is where the pitch is controlled (guys out wide don't have all those options). It's actually been quite useful for seeing out games for rather long, but when applied from kick-off you could also target strings of results not seen in real football much for the fun of it.  :) The number of shots in the OP suggest either a more aggressive mentality, as they look to get the ball forward, and/or it being paired with a number  of players who approach the opposition third (either advanced positions by default), or enough supp/attack duties, as eventually that will lead to shots. The long shots number may look to give it away in a sense, as that looks a select few advanced players running out of options. I found that there's always a shot in there as long as guys receive the ball in the opposition third, as eventually there'll be a foul, which leads to a set-piece, which leads to an attempt. I would however strongly urge anybody to not turn this into a game of who got the most passes. Eventually you may be seen as LvG reloaded.

4uVxAVO.jpg