[FM17]I hear the sugar around here is fantastic...

BoxToBox

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, full season review time. We underachieved in the cup, but snuck a win in the CL against a United side that battered us until that ludicrous two minutes of madness that saw their entire engine room sent off. In the league we finally looked a dominant force, and destroyed many teams, especially early season.

970a98e3d3fb73b6924249e2cb680235.png

5bcd3462d0b3df664c26b635d4dfe063.png

46071f03ec7da51555ebdf8a92b49f8a.pngd123976845c87474e2d2c9e36a37cbd8.png

Almamy Toure is amazing! Consistently excellent attacking and defending.

c0b988e5b76c78712e685f5aeb46b3a8.gif

The problem is I'm just not all that enthusiastic about next season and going forward, as it's a case of much of a muchness at club level whilst hoping enough decent Sammarinese lads come through to kick on the national team.

We're back with a new season, and in an effort to keep things interesting, I decided to shake up my tactics. Sold a lot of players, and reshuffled the side, expecting a quiet "mostly sales" window.
That was all well and good, until the system I'm trying to build turned out to be mostly ineffective. Dominant, but completely rubbish in front of goal, like a recent Man Utd side. A couple of days before the deadline, I decided it must be that I need wingers so spent 70m on some..... :rolleyes: So, hopefully that's what's wrong, but it likely isn't!

6534fde87575c41f07bd4f71a225a822.png

Lot of players out, lot of money in, the only one I second guessed was Melegoni, but that's a lot of money for a rotation option.

dfaf893f8f12d463389e91418e89e2c2.png

9de024ebed1adf249c37fb2bcafe19cf.jpgb75bbf293665caaf7e1a86f02451af34.jpgc771b40ecb91348c6ec0a8b548e604be.jpg

Bani looks an absolute beast, Hernandez replaces Melegoni. Kohler, I didn't realise I had negotiated the deal up that high until the confirm deal message popped up, but I did really want the player and reckon he'll be an absolute monster winger/inside forward.

436e2b17a9893bcbd309b8fbbd2a2e33.jpge941a27c9797dd0943a9ac3d6c60d9eb.jpg088e4776319da6419cbef1ea42f2edd1.jpg

Lima was a bit of a crime of opportunity, but you can't leave a player of that quality sitting cheap. Playing him as a wingback. Jesus Maria, and Cruz are the new right wingers, luckily, should the winger plan fail, they're versatile enough to play other positions and roles.

1 hour ago, Slipky said:

How much are you concentrating on youth development at the moment? Just curious.

Great achievements, bro!

It might not seem it, with the amount of money I've spent, but I'm always working on youth development. Currently have four players from San Marino intakes in the senior squad, and both u-20's and u-18's are packed with talent.

Cheers!

Your "recent Manchester United" crack has aged like a bottle of wine sitting on the radiator. I love it, and credit you fully with sparking today's win.

We'll show him, lads... That snide ****. Yeah.

16 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Your "recent Manchester United" crack has aged like a bottle of wine sitting on the radiator. I love it, and credit you fully with sparking today's win.

We'll show him, lads... That snide ****. Yeah.

I only do it because I love..... It's my whole managerial philosophy distilled into a single comment too, for example, this season the only game we've not won is the Italian Supercup, yet there have only been two games I haven't given the team both barrels at full time.

Funnily enough, I missed the first 10 minutes of the game today, as I had to visit a stone supplier to look at a headstone. One that was the Liverpool crest carved in granite. From what I can tell from my phone updates, Swansea had a fairly decent start until I got the tv on. :lol:

5 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

:lol:

That 4:30 am kickoff couldn't happen this morning.  Had to DVR it after the last few weeks of insanity.  

Aye, I can imagine that'd be lunacy to try with your brutal schedule.

On topic, I'm not sure what's going on, I'm struggling tactically. I mean, I could get away with what I've been doing all along or a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, etc.... but I've been wanting to try some stuff and build something different to keep my attention, as more and more, I'm thinking of the next save(which may not even be until FM 18)...

What I wanted, was a 3-4-3, with a libero, wingbacks, wide forwards to stretch the play, yada, yada, yada....

We're winning, which is good, but mostly via penos and free kicks, which is not. Completely blunt up front, so I change something, one step forward, one step back....

The striker and inside forward weren't getting good service, so I bought wingers for AMR...
The winger couldn't beat the first man, so I moved the striker deeper to AMC...
The winger now had nothing to cross to, so ended up in dead ends... Striker goes back up top...
Perhaps it's a lack of service and through balls, inside forward is switched to AP(a)...
Now he's isolated, AP(a) is moved to AMC, to link up better....

On and on and on...... Now I have myself convinced half the problem is the right side having a winger and a wingback who want the same space, so I'm off to try an inside wingback on the right, which should let me loose the shackles on one of my CM's too.

Still, I'm loosing patience with it.

On the upside, with zero players through the centre slot at CB, DM, MC or AMC, I've never had more success with the libero. He's doing everything I could want. Berisha of course, taking to it like a duck to water.

7 minutes ago, oneronaldo said:

Migliaccio must be the greatest American footballer in history. Absolute monster the lad is.

Indeed!

Half Italian too, so Italy really missed out, and are now seeing him every week in the Serie A must be a bit annoying.

13 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Indeed!

Half Italian too, so Italy really missed out, and are now seeing him every week in the Serie A must be a bit annoying.

Until they see he puts pineapples on his pizza or eats pasta with ketchup, the Italians be like "meh, you can keep him" :lol:

We're at the half, and tipping away nicely, though tactically, still not perfect(strikers are still all off game), it's much more settled and usually successful. We do struggle against flat back 5's and defensive sides.

42a468b3b09849d024ea37dcad9b08d3.png

901c0fdc3bb369a511e91c5fea021ad4.png

bd08c173e5c256f6403960c93f7b11a1.png

The wingers, had finally started finding their place in the squad, it was especially slow going for Cruz.

So once he settled, of course he broke his foot, why wouldn't he?

ef4a9d8ce7795dde3c53500ac08ee272.png

15 minutes ago, john1 said:

Decent start :thup: Shame Cruz broke his foot :( Who the hell is Juve Stabia?! :eek: 

They're from a region of Naples called Castellammare di Stabia, and are one of those classic Italian lower league clubs, the ones that go bankrupt every few decades.

On 16/08/2017 at 02:03, BoxToBox said:

e2520e8c34991002e20bda61c549872c.png

Never seen a bigger meltdown! Pogba dived in with a two foooted tackle, gets red, Keita argues with the ref over it, gets yellow. The free kick from Pogbas foul is chipped at the box and.... Keita fouls a man, second yellow, off. :lol:
Before that, we had a single shot, and it looked like they were going to shut us out until another foul near the box, and Lourencon curls it into the top corner.

Bribed the ref, then?

About the most recent posts, I love how your "struggling tactically" is winning the CL group with 16 points and having a 6 points lead in the league with 2 games in hand. :D

29 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Bribed the ref, then?

About the most recent posts, I love how your "struggling tactically" is winning the CL group with 16 points and having a 6 points lead in the league with 2 games in hand. :D

The results were there, true. The defence was, and is, solid, the Libero rampant.

The attack was blunt though, you'll see early on, a string of 1-0's, all either a peno or direct free kick. A 3-1 win, a peno, free kick, and one of our DM's pegged one in from 30 yards. That 5-0 with the FCK'ers, was a peno, two direct frees, a long shot, and a header off a corner. That's the kind of thing you can't build on.

That said, through Nov. and Dec, it's starting to fall in place. That Chelsea battering though, I actually switched to a diamond for, as I wanted a player in the DM slot to stand on their AMC, but figuratively and literally(classic Mourinho, I actually played A CB there). Plus, Berisha was out with a knock, and I don't have any proper alternate liberos anyway...

6 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

How isn't the great Berisha's reputation  world class yet.

I'm guessing to be counted world class there's a specific CA number a player has to reach, and perhaps he's peaked shy of it?

Just a few moments.

First, Berisha in action...

4c22dff76005682fdde479c4dadadd68.gif

No goal in the end but this is the kind of run that was impossible for a Libero in FM 15 and 16, as they'd be practically tethered to the centre circle when the team is attacking.

They say Migliaccio's one weakness is his lack of taste for the big games, well, that and the fact he has Antonio Valencia's left leg...

a9bca1f6bc803f74073e567cdb3db1c6.png

Seems alright in the big games to me, though!

Season review time! Dominant in the league, despite it taking quite a while to get the team playing the way I want. Scraped by in Europe a bit more than I'm completely comfortable with, and handled the cup well enough.
Strikers still remain a slight issue, only Ricciardi, with 18, came anywhere close to the standard I expected of them. Young star Tim Ermert is especially annoying, clearly a top, top forward, all season he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a shotgun from two yards out.

2622afbb98fd746f3da5c27ce79aafc4.jpgbec54456e50f1edc56ead56699d91809.png

336 minutes per goal....

b9112720deea5e09385f3b9e96cff8bf.png

3354a8f1d8d0a07e5070513232267ea9.png

8dc7176ccbf8fbf35cdff67727b1fe65.png

fb1099fe20c73f0f3b39632ee7ecac5a.png06d979704c4ab418e4c8f4c8c9f2821f.png

e460a923fd960a2fbdbaf5dd12aa423c.gif

4 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

Mamani is making a habit of these isn't he at yearly awards, shows up, goal of the season, thankyouverymuch kthxbye.:lol:

They're the only kind of goal he bothers with. Supposed to be our holding mid, but gets a bit board of tackling, I guess, and drifts forward enough to launch a screamer in.

1 hour ago, BoxToBox said:

They're the only kind of goal he bothers with. Supposed to be our holding mid, but gets a bit board of tackling, I guess, and drifts forward enough to launch a screamer in.

Is this what they call "doing a Tioteeeeeeee" in the industry

Archived