Iran Population... ermm....

Crab Lungs SFC

Evening all

Just started a new game in Iran as Persepolis... different challenge and all that, anyway... last time I checked, Iran had a population of around 70m... any reason as to why it's this in the game? Anyone else got the same on there game? (If you don't mind checking)... and is there any way to change it?

iran.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, nie jem frytek said:

Why would Iran be rivals with United States? How many times they have even played against each other? Not to mention they probably hadn't played against Israel even once in last 40-50 years.

Rivalries in FM are more based on politics / history than football. If you read the news you'll see that, well, they don't get on too well.

Iran played the USA at the 1998 world cup and it turned into a lovefest.

• 2 months later...
On 04/11/2017 at 22:15, nie jem frytek said:

Why would Iran be rivals with United States? How many times they have even played against each other? Not to mention they probably hadn't played against Israel even once in last 40-50 years.

Oldish post I know but you're right. It's an interesting subject but I'll flesh out the Iran 'rivalries' a little if I may, I'll try to keep it short.

Iran's rivals are definitely South Korea (due to being two Asian powerhouses and recent controversial encounters).

Followed certainly by Saudi Arabia (they're also a powerhouse, but this one is really a political/historical rivalry).

Iraq is arguable at best. In short, Iraq and Iran before and after Saddam are fine. So if this is FM 1998 then yeah they would be rivals, not any more though. More an Iran-Saddam rivalry, and he's so 1990.

U. S. A. is a big nope. The 'rivalry' in 1998 was entirely media-created, and will be next time. You've always got the loudmouth religious Conservative nutters in charge (think Trump but if he had power over everything in America and you couldn't vote him out, but you can vote for the people under him, who he's vetted. Hooray?), but the people (thus the fans) are very pro-US and always have been. Always been heavily influenced by American culture. Notably, American sports teams play in Iran all the time, and it's not like you hear booing while the American national anthem plays. So I wouldn't say rivalry. There are a long list of countries Iran would enjoy being drawn against and beating before you reach America.

Israel is the real interesting one. You're right in that they haven't played since the Iranian Revolution in the 70s, for the same reason many other Asian and Arabic nations haven't, in any sport. Israel aren't acknowledged as existing by these countries, so events are boycotted if they're forced to face Israelis, even to the detriment of Olympic gold medals. So if Israel ever qualify for a World Cup... Jesus. That would be a HUGE global diplomatic incident. It could shape history. Or it might eventually get swept under the rug. Or FIFA dig their heels in and a North Korea, Iran, Iraq etc. is left with a choice of pulling out of a World Cup midway and possibly starting riots, or worse revolution, or facing Israel and opening Pandora's Box.

Anyway... does that constitute rivalry? Even if the rival doesn't 'exist'? I guess the answer to this question is consistency. If North Korea, Iraq etc. have Israel listed as a rival then Iran should too. I don't know if FM keeps teams apart in draws for political reasons, this would be another factor to consider.

Archived