Question about youth training (would like to set them to a coach)

Hello

basically, since i'm not exactly good on this part, i would like to set 1 of the coach or the hoyd or some1 of them to lead general and individual trainings for under 20/18 teams.

But googling, searching on forums, i can't figure out which attributes should i look for this specific role.

Somewhere i did found DDM + work with young + tactical knowledge, other side i found judging potential + judging ability + work with youngsters, and so on. Can't understand which one should i really look for and that's why i'm here.

Which attributes i have to look for, if i want to assign general and individual young training, to my coach/hoyd?

I hope someone can help me to figure it out, thanks

depends what you want. if im not doing it myself i personally always leave it to the manager of that team to do general training. hes picking the team, so he decides what to train in match preperation and days off etc

for individual training, i focus on the working with youngsters and man management. 

lots of things to consider though, who is available, what level you are at, your coaches style etc. you can always check once they do it and take control of any player you disagree about

Just now, lemeuresnew said:

for individual training, i focus on the working with youngsters and man management. 

and if i would like to go for both general and individual? i should add tactical knowledge, or something else?

thanks man :)

47 minutes ago, lemeuresnew said:

https://www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-staff-responsibilities-backroom-advices-explained/

just found my old saved page of this. got a pretty good list of key attributes for staff responsibilities. everything covered there

i did read most of the article, there are lot of infos there O_O

but i did found something who confuses me, in the hoyd article it is written that for individual training doesn't need the tactical knowledge, but on the link you gave me there is a table which says the opposite, and consider tactical knowledge as a key attribute. I'm a bit confused on it O_o

The FAQs section found in the pinned thread at the top of this forum contains a lot of info about desired attributes for coaches.

There is also a difference between the tactical coaching and tactical knowledge attributes.  Tactical coaching helps with the various coaching categories (I'll amend the FAQs later to reflect this).  Tactical knowledge can be more useful for scouts when scouting opposition teams and for staff in the build up to matches (for setting OIs for example) or during matches (such as youth team managers).

The HOYD's personality and favoured formation can also have a direct influence on the personality of newgen players and their positions.

I'll also add that youth team managers/coaches will benefit from a high attribute in working with youngsters.  The Man Management attribute is kind of the equivalent for senior players and so less important for youth team staff.

Other than that, it can be useful for the "leader" of the youth teams(s) to have good attributes in judging current and potential ability as you'll be getting reports from them - the better the attributes here the more likely the reports are to be accurate.

TL;DR - start with working with youngsters and build a variety of coaching staff to cover each training category.

i think the article about the hoyd is talking about his training rating, same s all the other coaches if that makes sense? then can consider tactical knowledge for setting individual players in the responsibilities 

i personally dont worry about the tactical knowledge, think the man management is more important of the 2. just a personal preference, not sure it is really right lol

i only leave training to other staff on journey man saves where i dont expect to stay very long. my usual saves are 1 team for as long as i dont get bored, so control it all myself

3 minutes ago, lemeuresnew said:

i think the article about the hoyd is talking about his training rating, same s all the other coaches if that makes sense? then can consider tactical knowledge for setting individual players in the responsibilities 

i personally dont worry about the tactical knowledge, think the man management is more important of the 2. just a personal preference, not sure it is really right lol

i only leave training to other staff on journey man saves where i dont expect to stay very long. my usual saves are 1 team for as long as i dont get bored, so control it all myself

well, my idea is to stay as long as possible aswell, but the training part has been a problem for me since ages now. With this new system it is even harder -.-''

i did have read many articles about the general/match and individual training, and more i read and less i figure out >.<

the selection of coaches is fine, the roles are pretty fine aswell, more or less figured the general and pre match training, but individual one just put me in the corner... So i was trying to find how to let the AI manage it for me with a decent coach or whatever to avoid me this headcache :/

11 minutes ago, herne79 said:

The FAQs section found in the pinned thread at the top of this forum contains a lot of info about desired attributes for coaches.

There is also a difference between the tactical coaching and tactical knowledge attributes.  Tactical coaching helps with the various coaching categories (I'll amend the FAQs later to reflect this).  Tactical knowledge can be more useful for scouts when scouting opposition teams and for staff in the build up to matches (for setting OIs for example) or during matches (such as youth team managers).

The HOYD's personality and favoured formation can also have a direct influence on the personality of newgen players and their positions.

I'll also add that youth team managers/coaches will benefit from a high attribute in working with youngsters.  The Man Management attribute is kind of the equivalent for senior players and so less important for youth team staff.

Other than that, it can be useful for the "leader" of the youth teams(s) to have good attributes in judging current and potential ability as you'll be getting reports from them - the better the attributes here the more likely the reports are to be accurate.

TL;DR - start with working with youngsters and build a variety of coaching staff to cover each training category.

Ehm, the problem isn't the attributes for coaches, but instead the attributes needed for a coach or hoyd to be able to handle by himself general, individual and match training for youth team. Basically assigning tru the function that role to an AI, instead to have to handle it myself

there are loads of different ideas on how to do individual training. depends on what type of player you want

for instance, if a player has an obvious weakness you can tell him to work on improving it, so if a full back cant cross very well you can improve his crossing, or tell him not to cross when he plays and tailor him to his specific instructions

if you like to play passing football, you can train a central defender to focus on passing or first touch, maybe technique. if you like your defenders just to defend, then a key attribute for the limited defender role like tackling or marking would be better

have you got a specific player you are confused about what to do with as an example?

mostly is the youth team which worry me, because of the improvement and the need of "follow them" on their stages. I mean, even if you have a possible wonderkid, if u start to take wrong decision on the training, you gonna screw up everything and it is quite sad.

an example could be this one, could be traine as wing/atk or inside forward/atk ... in this situation i did set his role in the individual training for 1 of those and set any focus? when it is a good time to go for preferred moves? Those are the things which gives me troubles and if it is for a player which is already on good way, thinks about some which are still on the first stages of development :/

Kingsley Coman_ Generale Profilo.png

for me, his crossing. if he is a winger or inside forward, i want his crossing up.  either that, or his stamina

so at start of a season, i always do fitness for general training. so, would put him on stamina to try and shift as much focus as i can on his physical weakness. so 3 months fitness training and focus on stamina will hopefully see an improvement

after 3 months, i will change general training off of fitness. so start of october, i will see how he has developed. if it has gone up, i will change him off to his next weakness, crossing. if he hasnt developed, i will leave him for another month and check again

1 hour ago, GoldKnight said:

Ehm, the problem isn't the attributes for coaches, but instead the attributes needed for a coach or hoyd to be able to handle by himself general, individual and match training for youth team. Basically assigning tru the function that role to an AI, instead to have to handle it myself

49 minutes ago, GoldKnight said:

mostly is the youth team which worry me, because of the improvement and the need of "follow them" on their stages. I mean, even if you have a possible wonderkid, if u start to take wrong decision on the training, you gonna screw up everything and it is quite sad.

The AI is never going to be as good as you because the AI doesn't know what you want to achieve.

There are a load of hidden attributes for staff members that we never know about, such as hardness of training for example and player rotation, which may make staff better (or worse).  But all we have to go on are their visible attributes and personalities. 

So just going by the visible items we know about, if you want the AI to take over control of Youth training, start by going for someone with a good personality (such as Professional); add on high values for working with youngsters, judging current/actual potential; and then cover the bases for coaching skills as they'll also form part of the coaching staff.

As a quick question following the theme of the thread. When dealing with a HoYD, are you more concerned with attributes or personality?

After 6 seasons of junk coming out of our acad, I tried to switch direction and found a model professional HoYD with 20 determination to lead the effort. But his working with youngsters, judging ability, and judging potential are all in the 14-16 range.

I have very average, maybe even below average, facilities and I know that is a lot of the problem, but fixing that isn't possible at this time. My hope is to get players with good hiddens that don't need mentoring, and would reach their full (meager) potential. If I could at least get a few potential role or backup players out of my academy, that would be a huge win. 

Is this a viable solution and realistic goal? Or should I try to get a different HoYD who has higher attributes to try to get better players to offset my poor facilities?

7 hours ago, VinceLombardi said:

As a quick question following the theme of the thread. When dealing with a HoYD, are you more concerned with attributes or personality?

After 6 seasons of junk coming out of our acad, I tried to switch direction and found a model professional HoYD with 20 determination to lead the effort. But his working with youngsters, judging ability, and judging potential are all in the 14-16 range.

I have very average, maybe even below average, facilities and I know that is a lot of the problem, but fixing that isn't possible at this time. My hope is to get players with good hiddens that don't need mentoring, and would reach their full (meager) potential. If I could at least get a few potential role or backup players out of my academy, that would be a huge win. 

Is this a viable solution and realistic goal? Or should I try to get a different HoYD who has higher attributes to try to get better players to offset my poor facilities?

"When dealing with a HoYD, are you more concerned with attributes or personality?" - Both. 

The HoYD is the person (usually) responsible for bringing new young players ("newgens") into your club.  Their personalities can be directly influenced by your HoYD's personality.  You can of course tutor such players to improve/change their personalities, but having an HoYD with a decent personality can provide a kind of short cut.  Note that not every newgen will be affected by this, so don't expect all of them to have the same or similar personality.  Also be aware this concerns improving newgen personality and so has nothing to do with offsetting your poor facilities.

But your HoYD also forms part of your youth team coaching staff.  You can ignore him for this task (to an extent) if you so wish and have other coaches cover all coaching categories and therefore not worry about his own coaching attributes.

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:00, herne79 said:

Probably just me being stupid but I've never really thought about that! My youth teams have struggles for wingers last few seasons and checked my HOYD has a favoured formation of 4-4-2 narrow diamond so would explain it. Another question probably at home in the stupid questions thread but does the HOYD nationality have any influence? say if yours came from Germany would you get a couple of random Germans every now and then?

13 hours ago, Marc.Foster050 said:

Probably just me being stupid but I've never really thought about that! My youth teams have struggles for wingers last few seasons and checked my HOYD has a favoured formation of 4-4-2 narrow diamond so would explain it. Another question probably at home in the stupid questions thread but does the HOYD nationality have any influence? say if yours came from Germany would you get a couple of random Germans every now and then?

nationality AND scouting knowledge have an effect. for the simple reason he knows more places so sees more people :)

doesnt gaurantee anything of course. just increases the chances

• SI Staff

Regarding what sort of training a coach will favour if you leave it up to him, take a look at his preferences, particularly his "Coaching Style".

Archived