Your most memorable/longest FM save?

My most memorable save was in FM 13. I was managing Real Valladolid and bought a 16 year old newgen striker. A year later he had better attributes than Romelu Lukaku does now. Another year later we won the Spanish league.

I uploaded a screenshot of him to Imageshack but it has disappeared.

I have had quite a few saves I can still remember well, and I loved them. One of them, my fm14 Annan athletic save is immortalised on this forum, I love going back and reading it every now and again. Also my saves with IF Sylvia and Sancataldese has turned me into a fan of those clubs.

However, the 2 most memorable are both network games, if you find someone equally as good at FM as you then it's so much fun.

Firstly there was my FM16 game with my mate who is a York City fan. He goes as York, I go as Chester. Media expects him to finish 2nd, me 17th. After some class signings from me including David October, a cm called McKeever, and a gibraltain winger called Gosling I seem to remember, we fought it out for the title all season, with me being top for most of it. Well in the end I collapsed in the final 2 games, one win vs Dover would have won me the title with a game to spare, instead I lost both games and Dover won the league, with York 2nd and me 3rd. We both won in the playoffs, so met in the final, where he won 3-1 after going 3-0 up in about 20 minutes. Disappointing result but what a season.

The other game was with my mate from uni, who was from Malton and supported Scarborough. Both Scarborough and Chester were in the playoffs at the time, and both struggling. We started a game at the clubs we supported, and agreed career mode with the first person to win the champions league winning £50 from the other.

season 1, we both finish right up the top but don't go up. Scarborough are in huge financial difficulties and my mates wage budget is slashed to 7k a week, and he nearly quits to find a new job. However he stuck with it, and in this old version you could pick up teenagers released from premiership teams for £100 PW all day long. He signs a load of these, and keeps his best player Keith Gilmour, and one of his strikers ends up being amazing, on £100PW and knocking in nearly 40 goals as he wins the league, with me 2nd.

3rd season and we both won our leagues, but into the 4th season with us both gunning for promotion, he is offered the Liverpool job! Game over I'm thinking. So as I toil away in division 2 with Chester, he is putting together an amazing squad lead by Steven Gerrard, and finishes 2nd in the league guaranteeing champions league football.

Well, Man City have somehow won the league (this was before their billionaire owners so was a little miracle), but their manager leaves for a new job in Italy, and I apply for and get the man city job, game back on.

My mate had amassed this amazing squad, had 22 world class players to choose from every match, and I was still fearful he was going to win as my squad was poor. The starting 11 were a match for anyone, but the subs and reserves were worse than terrible.

Into the season and Liverpool dominate, he got Gerrard to score 25 goals from midfield alone, I think he only lost 1 game all league season and ended up winning the league by 20 points, where as I struggle to a 3rd place finish. If memory does not fail me he also won the league cup and fa cup, just an amazing squad.

I've not mentioned the champions league yet. We both progress in all our groups very easily, and end up avoiding each other in the knockout stages. We both win our semi finals and we both realise we have a 1 off match for £50. To cut a long story short, my man city team beat him 3-1 in the final, and the £50 is mine. With the quality of his squad he was absolutely gutted, will never forget this game. It was on champ manager 03/04 I think, maybe 02/03, what a game.

The one that won the FMCU Best Career Thread - this one.  Started out as just an international career managing Scotland to get to know FM16.  That first manager stayed with Scotland until 2044, winning the Euros twice but coming up short in the World Cup final twice.  First was a 6-1 pumping by Brazil in 2034, followed by a crushing defeat on penalties in 2038 to France.  He retired having never won the big one, and also having lost to France again in the European Championships final inside Hampden in 2044.  Oh, and he took every opportunity to noise up any sitting England manager, including getting Eddie Howe so seething that he resigned after a particularly enjoyable defeat.

Then in 2044 his "son" took over, starting with professional rep with a view to bouncing around the leagues and eventually taking on the Scotland job.  Through Airdrie (resigned to move), Hearts (resigned before I was pushed), Ross County (hilariously sacked), my early time in Scotland was pretty dreadful.  Linfield's gang of angry men gave me a chance to rebuild, and rebuild I did, guiding them to all but one of the available domestic trophies over three seasons, and a Champions League Group Stage appearance.  Then it was back to Scotland and Kilmarnock.  Sacked.  So I left once again, joining up with the Republic of Ireland National Team.  Just two and a bit years with them, guiding them from 4th place in their World Cup Qualifying Group to the European Championships where we somehow scraped our way to the Quarter Final.  Then after being rejected for the Scotland job, I took the vacant post at Aberdeen, hoping that my Scotland hoodoo was at an end.  It wasn't.  After a great start I ended up in the boardroom in the winter explaining myself.  They gave me a stay of execution.  A few months later I was back, but once again I talked myself out of it, and they said they'd give me to the end of the season.  I drew 0-0 with Partick Thistle the next day, and that was that.  The "end of the season" became now, and off I went.  And it was at Partick Thistle, who had just been relegated, that I set out my last stand, my last attempt at being anything other than a failure in Scotland.  After a bit of a wobbly season we finished strongly, eventually getting promoted via the playoff, sending down Ross County - the side who sacked me for my "poor" media handling - in the process.  We survived our first season in the Premiership and then managed 5th in the 2nd, which is a massive success given how terrible I'd been previously.  Unfortunately, I flew too close to the sun.  Moneybags Dundee United came calling, and I made the Jackie McNamara move North.  Needn't have bothered, got sacked by November.  Lol.  There was only one thing for it - get another international job.  Poland was an interesting prospect, and over two years I took them to the European Championships, and then on to the final somehow.  England pumped us 5-0 there, and after that it was time to return home to the Scotland National Team job.  It had been 16 years in the making, but I'd finally made it there.  In the Bird's nest stadium in China, Scotland beat Croatia 4-1 to win the 2062 World Cup, almost 30 years after their first appearance there, led by the son of the man who did it.  In 2066, they banished the memories of that 6-1 defeat by Brazil, and 100 years after England's finest hour, we won it for a 2nd time on penalties.  The next two years were difficult, with our double World Cup winning heroes deciding they'd rather do it the hard way to qualify for the Euros.  We scraped through a playoff, but then somehow squeezed our way to the final where we overwhelmed a poor Dutch side in extra-time to lift the trophy.  Three in six years.  And that was the end of his career.

But not the end of the save.  Bobby Nicol was one of the greatest players to ever pull on a Scotland shirt, and he was the main reason for all that success in the 60s.  Only right that he took up the mantle.  I waited until he retired (163 caps, 122 goals) and then set about the biggest challenge of the save - the Octadecagon.  Like the pentagon, but instead of winning the big 5,  you have to win all of those plus all major international tournaments.  18 in all.  I won't go into it in much detail, but through Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando City, Senegal, Atletico Mineiro, Perth Glory, China, USA, Persib Bandung, Partick Thistle, Australia, South Korea, Man City, Spain, Brazil and Juventus, I managed to pick up all but two of the 18 trophies.  Which ones were left?  The World Cup and the Euros.  Obviously I waited for the Scotland job to come up so I could end it there, but after a terrible start I was sacked.  Dream over?  Nah, given Bobby Nicol had history with Juventus both as a player and a manager, I took on the Italy job.  Won the Euros and put full focus on the World Cup two years later.  Ended up in the final against France of all teams, the nation that has handed out several crushing defeats.  And they handed out another, 2-1.  Another European Championship win later (a third in a row for Italy), and 4 years after that horrible defeat, we beat Mexico 3-1 in Tokyo to win the 18th and final trophy.

Then Bobby retired, and the save ended.  May well go back to it some day.

12 hours ago, forameuss said:

The one that won the FMCU Best Career Thread - this one.  Started out as just an international career managing Scotland to get to know FM16.  That first manager stayed with Scotland until 2044, winning the Euros twice but coming up short in the World Cup final twice.  First was a 6-1 pumping by Brazil in 2034, followed by a crushing defeat on penalties in 2038 to France.  He retired having never won the big one, and also having lost to France again in the European Championships final inside Hampden in 2044.  Oh, and he took every opportunity to noise up any sitting England manager, including getting Eddie Howe so seething that he resigned after a particularly enjoyable defeat.

Then in 2044 his "son" took over, starting with professional rep with a view to bouncing around the leagues and eventually taking on the Scotland job.  Through Airdrie (resigned to move), Hearts (resigned before I was pushed), Ross County (hilariously sacked), my early time in Scotland was pretty dreadful.  Linfield's gang of angry men gave me a chance to rebuild, and rebuild I did, guiding them to all but one of the available domestic trophies over three seasons, and a Champions League Group Stage appearance.  Then it was back to Scotland and Kilmarnock.  Sacked.  So I left once again, joining up with the Republic of Ireland National Team.  Just two and a bit years with them, guiding them from 4th place in their World Cup Qualifying Group to the European Championships where we somehow scraped our way to the Quarter Final.  Then after being rejected for the Scotland job, I took the vacant post at Aberdeen, hoping that my Scotland hoodoo was at an end.  It wasn't.  After a great start I ended up in the boardroom in the winter explaining myself.  They gave me a stay of execution.  A few months later I was back, but once again I talked myself out of it, and they said they'd give me to the end of the season.  I drew 0-0 with Partick Thistle the next day, and that was that.  The "end of the season" became now, and off I went.  And it was at Partick Thistle, who had just been relegated, that I set out my last stand, my last attempt at being anything other than a failure in Scotland.  After a bit of a wobbly season we finished strongly, eventually getting promoted via the playoff, sending down Ross County - the side who sacked me for my "poor" media handling - in the process.  We survived our first season in the Premiership and then managed 5th in the 2nd, which is a massive success given how terrible I'd been previously.  Unfortunately, I flew too close to the sun.  Moneybags Dundee United came calling, and I made the Jackie McNamara move North.  Needn't have bothered, got sacked by November.  Lol.  There was only one thing for it - get another international job.  Poland was an interesting prospect, and over two years I took them to the European Championships, and then on to the final somehow.  England pumped us 5-0 there, and after that it was time to return home to the Scotland National Team job.  It had been 16 years in the making, but I'd finally made it there.  In the Bird's nest stadium in China, Scotland beat Croatia 4-1 to win the 2062 World Cup, almost 30 years after their first appearance there, led by the son of the man who did it.  In 2066, they banished the memories of that 6-1 defeat by Brazil, and 100 years after England's finest hour, we won it for a 2nd time on penalties.  The next two years were difficult, with our double World Cup winning heroes deciding they'd rather do it the hard way to qualify for the Euros.  We scraped through a playoff, but then somehow squeezed our way to the final where we overwhelmed a poor Dutch side in extra-time to lift the trophy.  Three in six years.  And that was the end of his career.

But not the end of the save.  Bobby Nicol was one of the greatest players to ever pull on a Scotland shirt, and he was the main reason for all that success in the 60s.  Only right that he took up the mantle.  I waited until he retired (163 caps, 122 goals) and then set about the biggest challenge of the save - the Octadecagon.  Like the pentagon, but instead of winning the big 5,  you have to win all of those plus all major international tournaments.  18 in all.  I won't go into it in much detail, but through Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando City, Senegal, Atletico Mineiro, Perth Glory, China, USA, Persib Bandung, Partick Thistle, Australia, South Korea, Man City, Spain, Brazil and Juventus, I managed to pick up all but two of the 18 trophies.  Which ones were left?  The World Cup and the Euros.  Obviously I waited for the Scotland job to come up so I could end it there, but after a terrible start I was sacked.  Dream over?  Nah, given Bobby Nicol had history with Juventus both as a player and a manager, I took on the Italy job.  Won the Euros and put full focus on the World Cup two years later.  Ended up in the final against France of all teams, the nation that has handed out several crushing defeats.  And they handed out another, 2-1.  Another European Championship win later (a third in a row for Italy), and 4 years after that horrible defeat, we beat Mexico 3-1 in Tokyo to win the 18th and final trophy.

Then Bobby retired, and the save ended.  May well go back to it some day.

I remember following that career. What a journey it was.

• James Buchanan changed the title to Your most memorahttps://community.sigames.com/topic/405536-your-most-memorablelongest-fm-save/ble/longest FM save?

My longest and most memorable FM save is my current one on FM13. I've played 27 seasons so far, getting to the end of the 2038/2039 season, and am still nowhere near finished.

I started out at my hometown club Romford, taking them from the Isthmian League Division 1 North (the 8th tier) to the Conference South. Sadly, I never quite made it to the Conference Premier with Romford, and resigned late on in my 10th season.

I then tried a different challenge in the new season (2022/2023), moving to Elgoibar in the Spanish third division. They'd just been promoted from non-league and were strong favourites to go straight back down. I thought I could make something of them... until we lost our first five matches.

Then the Dagenham & Redbridge job came up. They'd been relegated to the Conference Premier and were looking to go back up at the first attempt. Being another local club to me, I wanted to achieve with them what I couldn't at Romford, so I applied for the job. That angered Elgoibar's president so much that he gave me an ultimatum - withdraw my Dagenham application or resign. I got out as quickly as I could.

Thankfully, Dagenham did give me the job, and so I set about taking them back to where they belonged - the Football League. The rest of the story is documented here, but I've included a synopsis below in the spoilers.

Spoiler

After sneaking into the play-offs with a last-minute equaliser on the final day, we beat Newport County in the Semis and went on to meet Stevenage in the Final at Wembley. Sadly, we lost 1-0.

We made amends the following season, winning the Conference Premier title and the FA Trophy. We gradually rose up the leagues from there, and ten years later (in 2034), we found ourselves back at Wembley for the Championship Play-Off Final against Blackburn. Another dramatic late goal, from our then club-record signing Stipo Brkic, decided the game and sent us into the Premier League.

The step up to the Premier League was a steep one, but we survived our first season somewhat comfortably in the end and finished 12th. That also happened to be our final season at Victoria Road before we moved into a brand new stadium in the summer.

That was where we stood when I last updated my story at the end of the 2034/2035 season. My save game is currently four seasons ahead of the story, so I shan't reveal too much more right now, but what I will say is that the future of Dagenham & Redbridge is looking bright...

I also became manager of Norway in the mid-2030s. You can read more on that here if you so wish.

Billericay Town on CM01/02 where I got them to runners up in the Premier League and an F. A. Cup win.

The online Zealot Clan game on the same version which saw us get into the 2040s.

My Newcastle Town save on FM11 where I reached the Premier League though didn't survive.

Mine has to be my 2015 save with Reading, my home team. Got promoted first season to the premier league, thank god as another season in the championship would have made me bankrupt. Narrowly survived and gradually built up an amazing, young squad. Had some world class players come through my academy including Dayle Baxter. Reading born central defender who became a first team regular in his first full season with me, key player the next and was my captain by his low 20's. He went on to become England captain and one of if not the most capped England player.

I still have the save, look at it occasionally but don't play it anymore. It's the late 2030's I believe. Baxter is coming to the end of his career having retired from international football a couple years ago and is mostly seen on the bench for my Reading side now. Tempted to carry it on and see if he'll make a world class coach or manager.

I had other amazing talent come through my youth teams including Terry Grant (a late bloomer who I nearly sold for cheap until he suddenly started performing at his mid 20's). Grant was primarily an AMC but could also provide backup on the wings. I also had Roy Kennedy who was a word class AMR winger. Believe he may have won the ballon d'Or or come runner up. These 3 amazing players helped take my Reading team to champions league glory. All spent most their years at Reading. Think I might have let Kennedy go when he got old and slow and well past his prime. Grant I think plays from the bench, can't remember, haven't played the save in ages.

But yeah, basically the combination of taking my home team to champions league wins and producing world class talent that went on to be key players in the England national team made that a very memorable save. Oh and Reading play in the 65,000 seater Robin Friday Arena. Robin Friday is well remembered for being violent, a drug addict and taking a dump in another players bag after being sent off. So a good player to name a stadium after 😂

Archived