Sports Interactive Community
FootballTrainer

The financial sections of the game

The basic argument is that if transfer fee´s become higher and higher in the game so therefore the economic muscles should be enhanced too vastly to go in accordance to that. Nowadays paying 100M£ is becoming more and more often even in IRL-football because of the fact that the clubs are making so much money aside from the footballing aspects. Transfer fee´s should always and saying always go up the more you progress into the game world in FM (future versions). You can´t just be stuck with the same prices for transfers in 2020 as you were in 2017. This is why some feel that FM lack reality as the game doesn´t process that for each year there has to be financial changes for each FM-year based game save a year.

If you simulate a FM-save 10 years on the figures are still all the same, transfer fees, transfer budget etcetera in some cases, not in all cases albeit. This is a far out cry from how football is developing each year in IRL-football. The sport called football just grows bigger and bigger and it should be easier to be making more money and even more money into your club at FM if you are regularly fulfilling the goals and terms who are there to be set to achieved. I would like as the game world progresses 5 years into a save that that´s also reflected on the financial strengths vast more than it is right now in FM 17. And I would even like for more and more clubs becoming richer and therefore providing you as a manager a even bigger task of landing titles. The more financially strengthened clubs the more competition you will face as manager in your save. And that´s basically what we all want as the game world progresses. 

For the odd occasion there just is´nt enough money pumped around in FM as to compared to IRL-football. This is an area I would hugely appreciate SI to be working on in order for it to be there in FM 18. There is just this general feel that there should be more money thrown around here and there, especially if you are managing a big club.

UEFA should also always be looking to make changes every 5 years on in the game with updates on new formats etcetera just like IRL. Generally as the game world progresses and you are into your 5th or 10th year you don´t want to play the game in the same manner as you did when you first started a save on FM17. For FM18 I truly do hope that the time level is checked upon vastly with new updated tournament changes, new transfer manners, new additions to the game. And on a further note it would be great for SI to introduce somethings radical that only happen when you have played 10 seasons on a save, new changes just so that the game never get´s boring and on repeat and repeat. 

so the guys who programme a football manager simulation should have the insight to predict financial models, and future rule changes? Unrealistic I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, chestermike said:

so the guys who programme a football manager simulation should have the insight to predict financial models, and future rule changes? Unrealistic I'm afraid.

SI have attempted to predict the outcome of Brexit so the future is tough to predict rationale is no longer valid. SI have opened the door & shown they are capable of changing the landscape of football, as a result I'd like to see them add the possibility of  more dynamic events (where licenses permit) such as competition/transfer rule changes, league restructuring, inflation/recession models, etc, etc & make the inclusion of dynamic events a game setup option.

Why should there only be inflation and not deflation as well? Just coz you're having inflation where you are at right now irl doesn't mean there aren't others experiencing the exact opposite of that elsewhere (where prices are falling for things).

Actually, i think the "financial side" of the game should be left untouched. There are way more pressing concerns that need URGENT and VAST work; than fiddling with something that's okay more or less

PS: if the game is boring for you, there are a myriad of ways to spice it up. They shouldn't spice it up with unbalancing the "financial side". That's just suicidal and silly

Edited by samuelawachie

yeah barside I get you. Difference is brexit is definitely happening, and even though we don't know the form it will take, it's coming so can be predicted. Looks like the type of brexit has been quite successfully randomly modelled around a normal distribution, id say S.I. have done a decent enough job here.

However, when it comes to finances even professional economists with super computers and very detailed analytical models can't predict the future correctly in terms of inflation/deflation, growth, productivity etc etc, so there is no chance S.I. can. Also it would take a huge amount of programming, as every country in the world would need their own specific financial model coded in, as well as all the pure guesses about the future. It's simply not do able, and certainly no where near as important as fixing goalkeeper animations, fixing player interaction bugs, improving training and media interactions, and giving us ever more options in the tactics, especially set pieces which is very rudamentary IMO.

As for rule and format changes....dunno where to begin. Yes SI could put in future rule changes such as video refs, then robot refs, then big brother reffing through their magic eye. They could make the pitch circular instead of rectangular when you get to 2033. They could put in it goes to 13 a side in 2025. It could be coded that the top 6 prem teams break away in 2020 and form a super-premier league just for themselves, taking all the TV money with them. They could programme the champions league changing to groups of 8......fa cup to 2 legged finals......body armour for all players.......the inclusion of the aliens who take up football as a career after they land........anything you can think of really. Quite how you expect SI to predict these future changes even nearly correctly is beyond me. I wonder how many fans in 1985 saw all seater stadia coming......or backpassing outlawed.....or tackling being slowly taken out of the game.....or £200million bids for Neymar........or goal line technology.......or ex league clubs going bust while agents take hundreds of millions per year out of football....or the European cup changing to the champions league.....or the abolishment of the cup winners cup.....or under 23 prem teams playing in the football league competitions.....or etc etc etc.....

Edited by chestermike
typos

I wouldn't expect SI to predict the future, a system that creates more varies futures across multiple saves is possible & it doesn't matter if there is no correlation to how things turn out irl.

Future predictions are tough, not least because nobody knows exactly where things are headed (Brexit, Football Leaks, FifPro getting EU involed as for the transfer systems, future regulations in general, plus there must bea limit as how far even  football can grow). My biggest gripe with the financial models in the game are on a broader scale and they relate to the right here right now. It's nothing new anyway, but there's far, far too much money generated in the game. The German comm used to collect numbers at the end of the first season on prior editions already, and this involved big universally profits during years in which that wasn't a reality. And naturally some more recent overhauls plus the bigger TV money deals pump even bigger amounts in the game. Whilst in reality most clubs are forced to balance, on FM you can gain promotion from the 2nd Bundesliga and immediately amass a kitty of millions. There's lots of details on an individually micro level going on, the inclusion of Brexit scenarios, merchandise deals between clubs, though at the same time, FM has never replicated the domestic regulations in much detail, i.e. the stricter ones  in Germany which can cause top tier sides to be relegated to lower tiers quickly). But in terms of simulating the actual economy on a large scale, FM's never been particular realistic, with one of the easiest "Deus Ex Machina" mechanisms to balance it out in very early iterations in particular the board magically stepping in and providing "cash injections", should the balances have ever threatened to spiral out of control.

Money isn't much a problem whatsoever in current editions naturally in general, quite the contrary. KNow a few people for which this sucks one of the main challenges out of the game, which is... in reality, for most clubs money is a problem.Doesn't help that some research seem more keen on realistic numbers, others not. Whilst in real football a few years back La Liga clubs were accumulating massive amounts of debt forcing a few clubs to sell some of their best assets, severe financial crisis that forced a dozen plus clubs into administration woes, unable to pay player wages for months, this never happened in-game. It is understood that is a challenge though in particular on a global scale, and depending on which, not the no.1 priority. E.g. some are raised in countries which forced clubs to be run like some "serious" business to different extents, in others not as much. No doubt same as in a few other areas of the game, there's a portion of the player base who prefers that fantasy, where nothing much is a huge problem to solve, even without much thought and planning, which is why this seems rarely raised as a "problem" -- in particular as most feedback is linked to frustrations -- there is no frustration to raise if there's always a decent amount of money around no matter what.

Edited by Svenc

Figured i'd throw in some transfer figures from my save to corroborate what's been discussed above (i'm in 2021).

Some of the fees in the first window aren't that far from those that are floating about right now (e.g. Nainggolan to United for 68m pounds does not look out of place right now).

However it's only till 2020 that the 100m pound mark was breached, granted it's only 3 years into the future but i think the amount of inflation seems reasonable. I am expecting fees to keep increasing.

Sorted by date so you can see the transfer fees as time passes:

kq4qFPD.png

I agree transfer fees should start rising promptly, I'm almost in 2020 myself and fees are still hovering around the 40-60m mark for top end players.

That said I'm not a massive fan of SI predicting stuff, like Brexit for example - this was one of the major factors that put me off buying FM17, I didn't agree with that, nor the consequences of it, but I understand people like that sort of thing. I prefer to keep the status-quo until we know what is happening IRL in that respect, and while we know Brexit is happening (even if suddenly the media seems to be going 'ooh this is a bad decision maybe we should change our minds'), we don't know exactly what is going to happen, or in what form, (and neither does the British Government it seems).

Tough spot for SI to be in I guess. I'd actually wouldn't mind if they put these scenarios in but allowed the user to decide if they are enabled on a new save or not as a compromise?

But I don´t really get the IRL type of think. FM is not IRL football would you think that when purchasing the game then you would be mistaken. Once you hit the continue button for let´s say six months or at least a year everything is different to what you call IRL-football. FM is still a simulation game and a game and nothing IRL-related super symmetrical defined type of game that to the utmost relates to IRL football. But since everyone likes to stick with the argument "IRL" then yes IRL changes happen frequently to world football IRL and since you are all so sure about the game being IRL based why shouldn´t SI introduce a variety of changes every 5 year in the game?

1 minute ago, FootballTrainer said:

But I don´t really get the IRL type of think. FM is not IRL football would you think that when purchasing the game then you would be mistaken. Once you hit the continue button for let´s say six months or at least a year everything is different to what you call IRL-football. FM is still a simulation game and a game and nothing IRL-related super symmetrical defined type of game that to the utmost relates to IRL football. But since everyone likes to stick with the argument "IRL" then yes IRL changes happen frequently to world football IRL and since you are all so sure about the game being IRL based why shouldn´t SI introduce a variety of changes every 5 year in the game?

I would love changes in the footballing world but I suspect licences would restrict what can & can't be changed by SI.

On 22/07/2017 at 11:29, Barside said:

I wouldn't expect SI to predict the future, a system that creates more varies futures across multiple saves is possible & it doesn't matter if there is no correlation to how things turn out irl.

Motorsport Manager implements rule changes in that game very well so I see no reason why Football Manager can't implement something similar.

On 22/07/2017 at 06:55, Barside said:

SI have attempted to predict the outcome of Brexit so the future is tough to predict rationale is no longer valid. SI have opened the door & shown they are capable of changing the landscape of football, as a result I'd like to see them add the possibility of  more dynamic events (where licenses permit) such as competition/transfer rule changes, league restructuring, inflation/recession models, etc, etc & make the inclusion of dynamic events a game setup option.

As long as they are optional in some form, then yeah sure.

On 7/25/2017 at 00:04, Nobby_McDonald said:

Motorsport Manager implements rule changes in that game very well so I see no reason why Football Manager can't implement something similar.

The teams, drivers etc in MM are fictional though. That may well be the difference.

On 7/22/2017 at 19:28, outtasync said:

Figured i'd throw in some transfer figures from my save to corroborate what's been discussed above (i'm in 2021).

Some of the fees in the first window aren't that far from those that are floating about right now (e.g. Nainggolan to United for 68m pounds does not look out of place right now).

However it's only till 2020 that the 100m pound mark was breached, granted it's only 3 years into the future but i think the amount of inflation seems reasonable. I am expecting fees to keep increasing.

Sorted by date so you can see the transfer fees as time passes:

kq4qFPD.png

Hmm, I'm Monaco and the second January in game I sold Bernardo Silva for 112 million..straight up so idk.