Players must understand when not making Champions Cup registration and so on

There is always this fuzz around the players who miss out on registration spots for Euroean competition and it rarely ends up well as most players will want to play. There should at least be some kind of option where you can ask the entire squad before the European pick where you ask the squad who would be willing to miss out on European matches? Like a team meeting with the new inclusion where you could ask the squad that as I am quite certain that is the case in IRL football too. Some players miss out so what, they have to be able to deal with it instead of becoming angry at you. Special cases where star players want to play in Europe does not amply to this team meeting. Just an idea that would make the game easier to play sometimes. 

How have you got a squad where you have too many players to register???

You either have too many players or you haven't managed your home grown quota very well, either way I would be looking at your squad building.

3 hours ago, FootballTrainer said:

Like a team meeting with the new inclusion where you could ask the squad that as I am quite certain that is the case in IRL football too. Some players miss out so what, they have to be able to deal with it instead of becoming angry at you.

you dont really think this has ever been asked in real life? a manager is in charge of squad selection, not the squad. and if a player ever stood up and said he was happy to not play, it would end his career. no one wants to be around people like that, and they would never of reached the heights of the game with that attitude...

also, if you manage your squad properly this should never be an issue in the first place. no team has players good enough to play for there league and in europe that they dont use. you decide who you want there, and get rid of anyone else. because if they arent playing, you are wasting money paying them for nothing

11 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

How have you got a squad where you have too many players to register???

You either have too many players or you haven't managed your home grown quota very well, either way I would be looking at your squad building.

I find it's pretty easy to do if you have risen quickly. I'm managing Rotherham who have bugger all youth facilities and took them from League 1 to the Europa over 4 seasons. None of the players coming through the youth system are remotely good enough and I've only managed to get a couple of youngsters I signed into 'home grown' status so I now have to leave a couple of players out. 

In my case players just are not good enough when talking about the four players who occupy homegrown and own product status. I have very high standards for my 25 man squad. I expect them all to be world class players. But I don´t really like for someone who is not even my first choice and plays only as back-up starts moaning about not getting chances in European football. Surely it would be right to assumt that players would be intelligent enough to understand sometimes why they are not picked for European squads?

I get that too sometimes but the more save games I am uploading there is always someone looking to leave the club just because they are not registered. And sometimes it´s even so bizarre that the registration window occurs after the transfer window usually. So how am I going to sell that player on if they don´t complain but want to leave the club? Do I have to wait until January to sell that player? Why can´t the registration spots and the transfer windows be synked always. 

18 minutes ago, FootballTrainer said:

Why can´t the registration spots and the transfer windows be synked always. 

You can't have the registration deadline before the window closes.

You just need to improve your transfer policy to ensure you have 25 players worthy of being registered.

Quite easy to have too many players, 2 keepers and 2 players for each position = 22 & I always have a 3rd option for key positions, CD, Regista, Playmaker, striker. Need 30 players for an EPL challenge plus European campaign

Usually got 2 players for each position that are at least decent, then some prospects that I try to get early enough to make them home grown in 3 years. Switched jobs 1.5 seasons ago and took over Chelsea where there were very few players of any worth that was home grown. It is a slow process to build a team for european football and while that is going on players will be upset that they don't make it into the squad as I can't really sell off all the good players untill I've had time to develop some of the youngsters. When I left my old job I had started the same process there and put the youngsters I planned to use in Europe as unavailable for loan for that simple reason as soon as I left all those players were loaned right left and center so I guess AI controlled teams don't really plan ahead for things like this which was also kinda obvious when looking at the squad I took over.

57 minutes ago, Melroseby said:

Quite easy to have too many players, 2 keepers and 2 players for each position = 22 & I always have a 3rd option for key positions, CD, Regista, Playmaker, striker. Need 30 players for an EPL challenge plus European campaign

You really don't.

22 players is usually about enough and you can then add either 2/3 utility backups or use developing youth players which don't need to be registered.

8 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

You really don't.

22 players is usually about enough and you can then add either 2/3 utility backups or use developing youth players which don't need to be registered.

Under 21's can only play and not be registered if they have been at your club at least 3 years though right?

As Celtic I found my second season registration quite difficult. I've improved my squad massively, but with no Scottish players. I think I registered 24 players for Champions League but 2 players had to miss out.

SPL has no rules, and while I have tried to thin the squad out, because there isn't much Scottish talent that isn't already playing in England, it is quite a challenge if I want to compete in Europe.

6 minutes ago, craiigman said:

Under 21's can only play and not be registered if they have been at your club at least 3 years though right?

he was replying to premiership rules, where only the age counts

agree it can be hard, but everyone knows what the have to abide by. if you think your squad is better managed like that, and you can control the locker room when players are left out, then great. if you prefer to keep it to the registration rules, cool. but you cant have both ya know? 

i like challenges like that personally. just started a new save hoping for a really tough brexit, and im not gona prepare before i find out which one it is. hoping i can get down to 4 or 5 english players in my team, then have to find another 12 lol

9 hours ago, mimland said:

Usually got 2 players for each position that are at least decent, then some prospects that I try to get early enough to make them home grown in 3 years. Switched jobs 1.5 seasons ago and took over Chelsea where there were very few players of any worth that was home grown. It is a slow process to build a team for european football and while that is going on players will be upset that they don't make it into the squad as I can't really sell off all the good players untill I've had time to develop some of the youngsters. When I left my old job I had started the same process there and put the youngsters I planned to use in Europe as unavailable for loan for that simple reason as soon as I left all those players were loaned right left and center so I guess AI controlled teams don't really plan ahead for things like this which was also kinda obvious when looking at the squad I took over.

Having two players for every position isn't the best way to build a squad, unfortunately that's precisely what the AI managers do & they pay the price for it.

Personally I find that the ideal squad is a core of 14 or 15 regular starters, 4 or 5 versatile backups who can each rotate into a few positions as required followed by  group of prospects who can be called upon for less important/easier matches.

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

As Celtic I found my second season registration quite difficult. I've improved my squad massively, but with no Scottish players. I think I registered 24 players for Champions League but 2 players had to miss out.

SPL has no rules, and while I have tried to thin the squad out, because there isn't much Scottish talent that isn't already playing in England, it is quite a challenge if I want to compete in Europe.

But there is your answer.

You improved your squad massively which you saw as a key requirement but you didn't keep within the squad rules while doing it and paid the price by having to leave two players out.

3 hours ago, Barside said:

Having two players for every position isn't the best way to build a squad, unfortunately that's precisely what the AI managers do & they pay the price for it.

Personally I find that the ideal squad is a core of 14 or 15 regular starters, 4 or 5 versatile backups who can each rotate into a few positions as required followed by  group of prospects who can be called upon for less important/easier matches.

Feels kinda needed though with injuries and a tight schedual if you play all the competitions and when your first are national players they wont even get any rest during those time. I find myself using a lot of players just to ensure they stay remotly fit, even with rotation and rest when possible I find I have a lot of players with the rst icon by their name from time to time. It might not be the best way but it keeps me competitive.

14 minutes ago, mimland said:

Feels kinda needed though with injuries and a tight schedual if you play all the competitions and when your first are national players they wont even get any rest during those time. I find myself using a lot of players just to ensure they stay remotly fit, even with rotation and rest when possible I find I have a lot of players with the rst icon by their name from time to time. It might not be the best way but it keeps me competitive.

i might get the odd rest sign if there has been a world cup and the players havent had a long enough rest over the summer, but they are fine before the season starts. what is your training like that you need 2 players for every position?

also, with every competition being played it is more about prioritising than anything else i think. do you really need a second first team for the league cup? if you are a big team in europe, your board probably dont care about it so play the fringe players and a few kids :)

12 hours ago, craiigman said:

It's two years for Europe. (which is a little annoying when you sign some promising youngsters don't register them as they aren't needed yet, but then have one or two meaningless group games that they then cannot play in).

I tend to avoid the problem of having too many players by selling players when they turn 22 if they aren't my first or second choice, which means most seasons I don't even end up using the full quota as most of my second string will be under 21.

Archived