Wingers staying wide

58 minutes ago, looping said:

why he is not staying wide

Because wingers don't always stay wide, neither in FM nor in real life.

Tactical settings and/or PPMs may encourage or discourage such behaviour and a player's own decision making may also have an effect.

But keep watching through the match and I guarantee you will find instances where your winger has indeed stayed wide.

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

Because wingers don't always stay wide, neither in FM nor in real life.

Tactical settings and/or PPMs may encourage or discourage such behaviour and a player's own decision making may also have an effect.

But keep watching through the match and I guarantee you will find instances where your winger has indeed stayed wide.

Ok. Not going to discuss this.

While ideally I'd like them to stay wide all time (except to get into opposition área to finish crosses) and already assuming that's not posible because they won't behave like that, the problem is it seems to me they stay wide when I don't want them to stay wide and they roam when i want them to stay wide. Is there any way I can influence this?

The pattern is most of the times they stay wide and sometimes they move from that position. Can I influence when, in which specific situations, they'll stay/roam? Or it is just up to the players?

I'd like them to stay wide until my fb comes there to créate an overload, and then roam from that position but if the fb stays back I want my winger to provide width.

In their off the ball movement wingers eventually tend to narrow some in front of the box so that they can also get into shooting positions. Whilst it were possible to make this more customizable so that they would always hug the touchline no matter what [in theory it is also possible to code an option that makes the goal keeper running towards the corner flag], to me that's largely the way it is. You can almost tell this is a looping thread as soon as you see a screenshot involving 4-4-2ish tactics with wide guys pushed forward on attack duty quickly on both flanks, which means he will rarely see anybody there sticking out wide to stretch or start anything from deeper positions for overly long. An interesting question henceforth to ask would be why precisely one would want to prefer the wingers to sit out wide, not as some micro tweak, but in the bigger picture: "I would prefer them to stay wide so that they may stretch the defensive line for one of my central guys to have more space to thrive in" is something else to "I would prefer them to stay wide because I think I have seen this on television, if not on FM overly much yet", for instance.

Not only can that make for decent points, perhaps even feature requests, it may also reveal lines of thinking. E.g. to me it's oft never fully understood the implications of what is done when having both wide guys pretty much always on attack duty in general, also in terms of coming against deeper opposition who may deny the space behind the lines they push forward into some more and some less. Which also concerns possibly "overlaps" in such a set-up, how's it easier to create overlaps, with the wingers immediately pushed into forward positions or have them slightly deeper? Are wingers the more ideal role for this to begin with? And with an option that causes them to always sit wide and high squeezing the space on the sidelines rather than narrowing -- what *is* an overlap anyway? There's a limit as how far you can push the engine, luckily they also apply to opponents. However there is also a limit how far you can push your side if you would only worry about micro details, rather than what you are trying to overall achieve with all of that possibly micro fiddling. For some limitations can also be a blessing in disguise in that sense.

It looks like he is dropping into space in the midfield, so he can either provide a supporting option to the fullback who is going to get the ball, or as an attempt to draw out the defender and create space for the fullback to attack.

Of more importance, why do you have a problem with this? Players are not robots, you cannot program them as such. Here, a player made a choice about what to do (a sensible one in my head). Often he would make a different one. If you want to control absolutely what each player does down to the very last movement, FIFA rather than FM might be for you.

Tbf it frustrates me as well that advanced wide players position themselves too narrowly in the final third irrespective of role/duty/TI/PI.

When trying to break down a particularly stubborn defence I'd like to have a winger really stretch the opposition but even with the most extreme width instruction they aren't wide enough to be an option.

You haven't said what instructions you've given the team, the winger & the FB/WB sitting behind him so for all we know the player is doing exactly what you've asked them to do.

Archived