[FM17] The Armenian Story: From near bottom to top (hopefully)

RPM13

2018/19 Season Review

n1WrdUY.png?1

In the latter half of the season, we had two excellent runs in which we could not stop scoring (or winning), but sandwiched between those, we were very poor and I was afraid that the tactical revolution was backfiring even to the point that I switched back to the 4-2-3-1 for the second leg of the cup tie. Needless to say, that didn't work either. I came back the next day and BOOM! We were incredible and I am now confused :D

HFVjtiL.png?1

With that incredible run of form, we finished 3rd and secured European qualification for a second consecutive year. As you can see, we were a quite entertaining team to watch scoring a league-high 49 goals. There were 89 goals in the 28 matches we were involved in! No wonder our attendances rose toward the end of the year. 

NPzupfH.png

POTS was Narek Balayan  with his team-high 14 goals, in addition to his 6 assists. He averaged a 7.22 rating. Signing of the season was Armen Ghazaryan, the young right back that was brought in. He came into the first team and started most games with the new tactic. He averaged a 7.17 and got 5 assists.

DsjRHgY.png

This also features as a sneak peak into our Europa League campaign next season.

hHop9PQ.png?1

I don't think I've ever seen quite as much of a 'Jekyll and Hyde' performance. We went in at the half, 17 year-old Gor already had a brace with Narek bagging in another just before the half. We were on a massive high and I naturally told the team to not get complacent. That worked well :lol:. We wound up completely bottling it and conceded two away goals :seagull:. Worst team talk ever!

I apologize for making you wait over a week for the second leg result, but I've been busy over the last week. I have played the first half of the season though so I should have quite a few updates over the weekend (really busy the rest of this week).

Ug4oBwn.png?1

With the second leg being the 100th match of my managerial career, I'm really hoping to get a good result. The additional Europa League money is an extra incentive.

6sQKJfQ.png?1

Are you kidding me!?! We were 5-2 up on aggregate with under half an hour to play! We had 6 Clear cut chances and 3 half chances compared to 2 and 4 for them in this match and we still lost. We even missed a penalty in the 88th minute!

:seagull:

Trackers

Facilities and Reputation

Training Facilities Youth Facilities Junior Coaching Youth Recruitment Club Rep Club Ranking League Rep Euro League Rank (Rep) Euro League Rank (Coeff)
Poor Basic Basic Limited 0.5 stars N/A 1 star 113th 48th
Poor Basic Adequate Limited 1 star N/A 1.5 stars 103rd 38th
Poor Basic Adequate Limited 1star 383rd 1.5 stars 80th 36th

Finances

Year Value Balance Avg Tkt Price Avg Season Tkt Price Avg Attendance Season Ticket Holders Sponsorship Money TV money Merch Money
2016/17 $55k $25.6k $5 $13 224 65 $6.25k $18 427 $2 147
2017/18 $55k $2 530 $7 $18 367 94 $13 810 $67 637 $3 885
2018/19 $450k $389 146 $9 $24 693 104 $80 760 $127 970 $5 391

Improvement across the board (for finances at least) :thup: 

• 7 months later...

After 2 unsuccessful attempts at getting an entertaining FM18 save, I'm back to this one. Since I last updated, I have played 4 seasons and have made tremendous progress as you will see soon. Firstly, I'll start with our domestic achievements in the last 4 years:

jPXf2kk.png?1

As you can see, it's gone quite well with us having won the last 4 league titles.43p0aEo.png?1

We've also won 2 of the last 4 Armenian Cups.

In Europe, we've been less dominant (but that's to be expected), but it has gone better than I've expected it to go.

aYZpxLU.png?1

EKcmdfA.png?1

We've made it to the group stage of a European competition the last 3 years, including one appearance in the Champions League group stages! Granted, it didn't exactly go well, but we made it there anyway. All of this leaves the updated trackers looking like this:

Finances

Year Value Balance Avg Tkt Price Avg Season Tkt Price Avg Attendance Season Ticket Holders Sponsorship Money TV money Merch Money
2016/17 $55k $25.6k $5 $13 224 65 $6.25k $18 427 $2 147
2017/18 $55k $2 530 $7 $18 367 94 $13 810 $67 637 $3 885
2018/19 $450k $389 146 $9 $24 693 104 $80 760 $130 389 $5 391
2019/20 $675k $597 377 $10 $26 667 108 $103 601 $161 678 $5 994
2020/21 $6M $6 186 860 $12 $31 1845 120 $103 601 $3 315 747 $8 846
2021/22 $33.66M $27 494 471 $13 $34 3547 157 $140 252 $10 121 224 $16 018
2022/23 $47.05M $25 659 150 $15 $38 2922 197 $140 252 $3 410 688 $24 277

Facilities and Reputation

Year Training Facilities Youth Facilities Junior Coaching Youth Recruitment Club Rep Club Ranking League Rep Euro League Rank (Rep) Euro League Rank (Coeff)
2016/17 Poor Basic Basic Limited 0.5 stars N/A 1 star 113th 48th
2017/18 Poor Basic Adequate Limited 1 star N/A 1.5 stars 103rd 38th
2018/19 Poor Basic Adequate Limited 1star 383rd 1.5 stars 80th 36th
2019/20 Basic Basic Good Limited 1.5 stars 365th 1.5 stars 73rd 36th
2020/21 Below Average Basic Excellent Limited 1.5 stars 261st 2 stars 64th 35th
2021/22 Adequate Poor Exceptional Limited 1.5 stars 158th 2 stars 60th 34th
2022/23 Average Below Average Exceptional Limited 2 stars 126th 2 stars 49th 31st

There will be a squad report up soon showing the first team (who consists almost exclusively of new players) and a new tactic which I have been using.

Squad Report

Goalkeepers

P73q4dw.png

75HzM80.png

J0OrzD6.png

Sweepers

XJJIHP0.png

6Xbo9uy.png

Center Backs

g5kmvPn.png

Z4OTN3P.png

AGWkbY9.png

cruPuGY.png

Left Backs

XDLYRXE.png

OVTwbZs.png

Right Backs

2VPAxxT.png

PFxOhwe.png

Central Midfielders

IKsoTgw.png

9pdBvdO.png

LOsVAAN.png

dPr0ku1.png

PYU3tMb.png

FUIfWhv.png

Attacking Midfielders

dBykpic.png

wjIKklS.png

4VuHeUS.png

kDmorlm.png

Now you may notice the lack of strikers in my first team and I'm sure you can guess that I have gone strikerless. This is the tactic that I have been rolling with the last few years:

9nY2HeX.png

The movement from the midfield is incredible and generally hard for the opposition to deal with. It is such as fun style to play and I think it is allowing us to over perform massively in Europe. 

Tried a few saves in Armenia, Georgia, Latvia and Estonia over the past few FMs and could never settle into a save. You done well to really build club up with good European showings and finances are very healthy. 

Fantastic looking tactic with that Libero, something else I've never managed to incorporate into a save.  

Champions League Update

The last thing to get you caught up on is our European campaign so far (only one match). You may have had a bit of a spoiler in the squad overview update with the player performances. You can probably tell that it went quite well :D.

WMLFJQ2.png?1

This leaves us in an exceptionally good position heading into the second leg at home. I'm really excited about Bruno, seeing as he got a brace and MOTM in his debut at only 20 years old!

6 minutes ago, ToMexico!! said:

Tried a few saves in Armenia, Georgia, Latvia and Estonia over the past few FMs and could never settle into a save. You done well to really build club up with good European showings and finances are very healthy. 

Fantastic looking tactic with that Libero, something else I've never managed to incorporate into a save.  

Thanks, I have to give most of the credit for the tactic to @Guimy because it is basically a combination of some of his tactics. This is b far the most enjoyable save I've ever had in any FM.

26 minutes ago, RPM13 said:

Champions League Update

The last thing to get you caught up on is our European campaign so far (only one match). You may have had a bit of a spoiler in the squad overview update with the player performances. You can probably tell that it went quite well :D.

WMLFJQ2.png?1

This leaves us in an exceptionally good position heading into the second leg at home. I'm really excited about Bruno, seeing as he got a brace and MOTM in his debut at only 20 years old!

This save looks really fun!  Strong performance in the league and the first promotion was so so hilarious :lol:

Nicely done qualifying for group stage for three years now too.  How is the rest of the league doing, is anyone making strides yet?

Champions League Update

omXZ7fG.png?1

Well that was disappointing. After the first leg, I was expecting big things, but instead I got a big bag of nothing. To be fair, we did perform well and actually created more good chances than they did, but could not finish any of them. Luckily, we were good enough in the first leg that we're still going through to the next round to face...

Zl6la7O.png?1

Could be better, could be worse. After the first leg against Qarabag, though, I'm confident that we can take anyone on and give them a good match.

46 minutes ago, rodesire said:

This save looks really fun!  Strong performance in the league and the first promotion was so so hilarious :lol:

Nicely done qualifying for group stage for three years now too.  How is the rest of the league doing, is anyone making strides yet?

Shirak made it to the Europa League Playoff in 2022/23, but other than that everyone has been eliminated in either the first of second qualifying round.

New Signing!

Today, the club has completed the signing of Nicolas Giordano on a free.

D2fYuVs.png

He's coming in on a free after his contract expired. He has bags of potential and I'm going to retrain him as my left inverted wingback. He will be my replacement for Hamlet Mkrtchyan who is leaving in January.

Champions League Update

a7U92aI.png?1

A solid first leg against Malmo leaves us in a good position going into the second, but with the way the home leg went against Qarabag, I'm still slightly concerned. 

Champions League Update

xlr8WGb.png?1

I think I should contact Thesaurus.ca that I've found a new synonym for dominant. This match was dominated b us from start to finish. We had 64% possession! The started to come back into it at the end in terms of shots, but they never really threatened our goal. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, we've now qualified for the group stages of a European competition for the 4th consecutive year, since a loss in the playoff would put us into the Europa League groups.

Champions League Update

Cqu3FDK.png?1

I'm glad I was quietly confident and not openly confident because I'd look really stupid right now. We really drew 3-3, which would be a great result. Unfortunately, we had two players who forgot which net was ours. :seagull: We did get an away goal, though, so I'm quietly confident.

Champions League Update

7jABY8L.png?1

The worst part about this is that we actually created enough chances in this match to win the tie, we just weren't clinical enough. I guess we'll have to wait another year before returning to the Champions League group stages. On the bright side, we now have the Europa League group stages to look forward to, so it's not all bad at Kotayk Abovan (it's quite good actually). 

Europa League Update

LozqBPA.png?1

Oof. We got a tough draw. I'd be happy if we can get any points in a group like this. At least we should make lots in revenue from these matches.

2 minutes ago, RPM13 said:

Europa League Update

LozqBPA.png?1

Oof. We got a tough draw. I'd be happy if we can get any points in a group like this. At least we should make lots in revenue from these matches.

That looks like a really rough draw.  Really unlucky there..

Armenian Super Cup Update

LXfFNA4.png?1

Ok I know this isn't exactly the most prestigious of trophies and it definitely wasn't the most convincing performance, but it still counts.

Europa League Update

EEwJss8.png?1

:D Some would say we were lucky, I like to call those people wrong. We absolutely dominated the majority of the match. They did well for the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes, but we were the better team for the rest of the match. What a performance!

This result leaves the group wide open after 2 matches:

pqKAj0q.png?1

(We played against Brugge in the first match and lost 1-0)

Europa League Update

For those of you who thought the Swansea result was good, I present to you, this...

Za0XhQu.png?1

I don't even know. We seem to be dominant at home, even in the Europa League where we're facing much stronger sides. We lost away to CSKA 1-0 just 2 weeks ago! I guess playing at home gives us a significant advantage. This leaves the group table looking like this:

4Mruvxv.png?1

We're in second! The result against CSKA was very significant as we now have a better head to head against them. I didn't think we'd have a chance in this group, but now I'm feeling hopeful that we could possibly make it through.

16 minutes ago, RPM13 said:

I don't even know. We seem to be dominant at home, even in the Europa League where we're facing much stronger sides. We lost away to CSKA 1-0 just 2 weeks ago! I guess playing at home gives us a significant advantage. This leaves the group table looking like this:

4Mruvxv.png?1

We're in second! The result against CSKA was very significant as we now have a better head to head against them. I didn't think we'd have a chance in this group, but now I'm feeling hopeful that we could possibly make it through.

So there is this thing called travel distance.  Any side visiting you will be experiencing tiredness due to travelling and it seems you've got the team to exploit it to the max :) 

Europa League Update

oQOVPG1.png?1

Teams really aren't enjoying their trip to Armenia. This is just incredible! I barely even expected us to get a point out of this group. Instead, we've won all of our home games. That leaves the group looking like this with only our match in Wales remaining:

JsRwEKo.png?1 

If we can get a draw against Swansea, we're through to the knockouts. Let's do this.

Europa League Update

biYdJ9e.png?1

I'm absolutely crushed. I know we had no expectations coming into this group, but to come so close and fall is tough. Still, we gave a very good account of ourselves and will likely have improved both our reputation and European coefficient, so there are still positives to come from it. These are the final group standings:

svgPeAK.png?1

National team Update

v0CMVtT.png?1

We'll be very lucky to qualify for the Euros, but that was to be expected with us being in the 4th pot. Hopefully we'll be able to win against Georgia and maybe get a result against Slovakia. Serbia and Spain will be very tough to play against.

Mid-Season Break/Transfer Window Update

kBVqvtR.png?1

We had an absolutely flying start to the season, winning our first 6 games. We slowed down a bit after that, dropping points in 3 of our 4 next games. We then went on another winning run, including a 4-1 win against our closest rivals Gandzasar. Our last 2 league games before the break were poor, though with us dropping points in both. That leaves the league table looking like this:

8gx4hIu.png

We're at the top of the league, but it's closer than I'd like. There seem to be three main groups appearing this season: the top 3, Alashkert and Banants in the middle, and the bottom 3. There are significant gaps between each of these groups that I cannot see anyone overcoming. 

In the first round of the cup, we drew one of the bottom 3, Pyunik. We were good offensively, but our defense left much to be desired over the two legs:

WDK9aIv.png?1

We made 2 solid signings during the window which will both improve the team. Both are also very young, so are still improving. Overall I'm very excited about the signing of these two.

ypdKBNy.png

He's coming in to be another option at Libero which is becoming our deepest position. He cost a fairly hefty $500k, but we have a budget of well over $10M, so I have no concerns with the fee.

P5NMLTe.png

He's coming into another very deep position, shadow striker. I love his physicals (especially pace and acceleration) and his work rate is also exceptional. I also like that he has good penalty taking as our previous best was 8 or 9.He came in for $225k, potentially rising to $325k. He got a hat trick and an assist in his first friendly for us, so hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

Youth Intake Update

l49luou.png

What a disappointment compared to the last few years. One of our largest expenses currently is the youth setup, so I'd like to think that we'll get some top quality players in our youth intakes, but this one is just a disappointment.

i5Pjjd7.png

This kid is the pick of the bunch. He is decent, especially his tackling and a few of his mentals. I'm currently training him to play at libero.

League Update

8VJE0qU.png?1

What a way to win the league! I believe the were third prior to this match. Hands down one of our best league performances ever.

Archived