Help for buying a laptop.....specificaly for FM

Hi everyone, I am going to buy a laptop which will 80% of the time will be used to play FM. I currently play FM on a desktop but it is an old machine. I am after a laptop that will make my network games run faster as all my network games run slower than when I am playing on my own.

Things to consider could be;

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> Brand Name of Laptop

Processor Type

Processor Speed

Hard Drive Capacity

Memory

Help much appreciated icon14.gif

Hi everyone, I am going to buy a laptop which will 80% of the time will be used to play FM. I currently play FM on a desktop but it is an old machine. I am after a laptop that will make my network games run faster as all my network games run slower than when I am playing on my own.

Things to consider could be;

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> Brand Name of Laptop

Processor Type

Processor Speed

Hard Drive Capacity

Memory

Help much appreciated icon14.gif

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720:

Intel Core Duo processors 2ghz

2gb Ram

140GB hard drive

I've not really had any problems running about 20-30 leagues from 7 or 8 countries on this. Also played network games with it and no problems. Just depends on you budget I guess tho.

I wouldnt worry too much about brand name tbh but if you need a good brand go for a Toshiba as they are cheap but reliable.

Id go for the cheapest laptop you can find with these specs:

Any dual core (Intel) 2GHz+

2GB Memory

HD size matters very little if you are only going to use it for FM.

Also if screen size doesn't matter, go for a 15" as you will save some money. If you went for a 17" youd be either paying more or sacrificing something else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the_gaffa:

If possible, make sure you get a laptop that doesn't share PC ram and graphics card ram. You'll be taking a slight perfomance hit if you do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldnt worry about that tbh. Not if its only for FM and Uni work. Shouldnt make much of a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by the_gaffa:

If possible, make sure you get a laptop that doesn't share PC ram and graphics card ram. You'll be taking a slight perfomance hit if you do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldnt worry about that tbh. Not if its only for FM and Uni work. Shouldnt make much of a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In my opinion it should it should be a consideration. A share of his total ram will be constantly busy powering a graphics card and Vista (presuming he uses this OS) is well known to be memory hungry. The more ram you can free up, the better.

Well the sort of things to look for are:

Brand: Dell/HP/Toshiba/Acer/Fujitsu/Samsung

Processor: Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz+

Memory: 2GB+

Hard Drive: 80GB minimum, 5,400 RPM or 7,200 RPM

Portability is something tyou might want to consider, are you after a Desktop Replacment (DTR) or a portable computer you can use anywhere?

For example:

DTR

Dell Inspiron 1720 (3rd & 4th choice on page) for a Desktop Replacement, expect limited portability due to size.

Portable

Dell XPS M1330 (2nd choice) would give you very good portability & performance for FM. More so if upgraded to the T8100 processor as it will lower heat & power draw (ie longer battery life) while boosting performance further.

Novatech have a sale on at the moment covering laptops so you can get a really good deal from them if you hurry: http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/clearance/I0

Yea I will be using the laptop everywhere so the laptop has to be very portabile, not too heavy or big. I have looked at the Dell Inspiron 1720 already and I like what I seen, will have a look at the Advent 7211 and HP Pavillion aswell icon_smile.gif thanks for the help everyone, keep them coming icon_smile.gif

Going to look at the Dell XPS right now and browse the Novatech laptops.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Celtic 08:

Mines is good </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very helpful.

Ps. do not listen to any BS from Dell about battery life.

I got it in writting from them (via there technical chat) that a battery will last 4.5 to 5 hours at full power. I bought two batters and just 3.5 hours later, my laptop was shutting down.

Either FM was power hungry (its not) or they were full of it...... needless to say, i got my money back

Yea I should have posted this thread in the "you know when you are addicted to football manager...." I am buying a laptop just to play FM lol icon_biggrin.gif

Dedication for you icon_razz.gif

As for the laptop's battery life, the longer the laptop lasts without charging the better!

Keep the suggestions coming lads icon14.gif

Archived