Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
thomas166

What to do when you've overachieved

A lot of us when we start a new save set a target/overall aim such as toppling PSG if you're in France or having an entirely homegrown XI etc. My aim when I started with Porto was simply to get back to the better days when they were the top club, whilst also bringing youngsters through.

Come the near end of the first season, I've won the Portuguese League Cup, won the league by about 15 points (4/5 games of the season left) and am in the final of the Taca de Portugal with Benfica. I'm in the semi finals of the Champions League where I play Barca in my next match.I'm unbeaten across all domestic competitions, and have only drawn 3 games, and in Europe having lost one game to Juventus in the group stage and drawing twice with PSG in the quarter finals.

The question is, where do I go next? I kind of feel like defending the titles won't be enough moticvation to keep the save going, and there's only so many youngsters that cna be brought through.

Beat Barcelona & go on to win the CL before thinking about what to do next, then maybe look to successfully defend every title & win all the others. Until there's at least 3 consecutive seasons of vlean sweeps I'm not done at a club, if that's achieved then I move to a fallen giant or a consistent underachiever with potential & look to repeat.

first try win everythihng andthen next season let go of some of your best player and try defend title withouth big name pif you think why would u let go f your best player well obv bcz your are porto and laliga prem is better dvision no matter waht u win and make a scenario where people want to move to a better leageu as they might be offering better wages then porto

Managing Porto is too easy if you are an experienced FM player. Three suggestions:

1, Sell everybody who is 20 or older.

2. Only use players that are born in Portugal.

3. Simply start a new game in the Spanish league where you manage one of the weakest teams in La Liga.

Edited by HansJoachim

Time to move on to a new club. Sure you could start a new save for that, but having an actual journeyman career is a lot of fun too. Try to do the same but then with a club from a smaller competition, like Steua Bucharest or Red Star Belgrado, or perhaps bring European glory to country who has never experienced it, like Sweden.

Just find either a World Super league, or an European Super League. Or if you're into Legends, go get a database of that. Those are tough and competitive for more than 15 years into the game. 

For instance, i'm still playing FM 14; on a World Super League and this is what the Premier and First divisions look like

It's getting harder with each passing season, rather than less competitive; and I honestly can't see myself going back to the normal database anymore.

In fact, if/when I get FM 2018, I'll start with a Super League straightaway. IT'S Marvelous. 

league 1.png

premier league.png

59 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

Just find either a World Super league, or an European Super League. Or if you're into Legends, go get a database of that. Those are tough and competitive for more than 15 years into the game. 

For instance, i'm still playing FM 14; on a World Super League and this is what the Premier and First divisions look like

It's getting harder with each passing season, rather than less competitive; and I honestly can't see myself going back to the normal database anymore.

In fact, if/when I get FM 2018, I'll start with a Super League straightaway. IT'S Marvelous. 

league 1.png

premier league.png

Whats the money like in these leagues?

6 minutes ago, ssrider said:

Whats the money like in these leagues?

There are 19 divisions, and the team that gets 1st place in the Premier division wins $78M. 

It is then graded down for the other teams and so on and so forth (including TV money for live matches, and Match win income (W = $455K, D =  $233K)) I surely can't start posting all the screens :| Just wanted to show the OP that there are better leagues than the default that guarantee a challenge for years. 

For instance, the premier division keeps having the top 3 from the next placed league feeding it and the usual relegation rules. If you want to manage at a lower level, you can start on any of the other divisions with teams of equal caliber. So all the divisions are incredibly tough and challenging season on season.

And there are other cup competitions in place as well (one for all the winners and 2nd place teams across all 19 divisions after each season, another for all the club teams in a straight knockout format for divisions 1-10 and 11-19, and other lower cups)

International management is also there of course

Edited by samuelawachie