What would you do (Advice needed / wanted)

bigmattb28

So I decided on a journeyman save to keep me going until FM18. I started off unemployed and got a job in Vietnam before getting the Malaysia under 23's then the job at Perlis in Malaysia. I have been there 4 seasons and won everything there is in Malaysia including the confederations cup. I got knocked out of the quarter finals of the Asian Champions league and am not sure whether to stay or go. I've saved it an left just to see what chances of getting another job are and had interviews with Orlando Pirates & Ajax CT both in South Africa and both went with someone else. I did get a job in South Korea but after a few games I'm not enjoying it like I did with Perlis, not entirely sure why.

My question is what would you guys do? I'm a couple of days away from being able to load leagues in Europe and was thinking shall I just remove the Asian leagues I'm not using and go for England because I reckon with the trophies I've won in Malaysia I'd get at the very least jobs in league 2 or I'd even go for Conference or maybe Serie C in Italy. Am really unsure what to do, any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

You can only make the decision yourself and knowing when is the right time to move on isn't always easy.

What I can tell you though is moving from Asia to Europe is like starting again.  Your reputation is in Malaysia & Asia and basically no-one in Europe will know you.  In FM16 I managed like you in Malaysia and eventually moved to Europe but it was in the Northern Irish leagues at a semi pro club (Other offers came from non league in England, low end of Scotland/Sweden).

If you don't want to do that you have two other routes to consider:

A) Bigger route in Asia/Outside Europe - So think Korea/China/Australia or alternatively South Africa/MLS to build more rep which would see you up to more tier 2 level in Europe.

B) An international job is often a good stepping stone that can give your rep a boost, especially if you get a team to a major competition.  You already have rep in Asia so if you could get an Asian team into the World Cup that would be a big boost that would see Europe open up.

I guess its like real life if an English manager who started and spent 5  in Asia and comes back to England he's probably only going to be considered for league 2 / conference jobs isn't he. Think I'll stick it out unemployed til either a decent 'project' in England comes up on an A League team becomes available.

Archived