Sports Interactive Community
mimland

Reasonable bids according to the players

As a smaller club risen to success (took Nuneaton to PL and CL) I'm constantly having players wanting to move to bigger clubs which I can understand.  The problem is that the transfer market is getting kinda crazy and players of decent quality are expensive and players of good quality are really expensive. A reasonable bid for a non transfer listed player of decent/good PL standards are some 40+M don't even want to think about the world class players. The money is present in the game so it doesn't make it a huge problem on itself but combined with players wanting to join a bigger club it becomes one. I don't mind selling my players when they want to move but to keep the team going the key players need to be replaced with equally good players or at least decent players with potential. When the players come and ask to be allowed to move I can tell them that I will sell them if a reasonable offer comes in but the amount I can get them to agree to is far from reasonable considering the current market.

As an example my WB R came and asked to be allowed to move to some chinese club for better wages and since he is already making almost 100k a week and I'm not prepared to offer him higher wages I say I'll sell him if I get a reasonable bid and he wants to know the amount of money so I say 9M (he is valued at 6.5) but that he apparently think is too high and we can't agree on a set price and he gets angry and thinks that I could have just told him I wouldn't sell him in first place. The argument ends there and I can't tell him that I'm still prepared to sell him for a bid that actually is more a crazy bargain for the buying team than a reasonable offer during the circumstances and the current market. And if a club is prepared to pay him over 100k a week in wages they shouldn't have much of a problem paying 8-9M to buy him.

Since I know that if I want to buy a key player from a team that doesn't actually want to sell the player I will have to pay several times his value to even spark negotiations  I'm not prepared to promise to sell my key players, that I don't really want to sell, for silly bids that wont even pay for the shirt of a replacement player, but at the same time I don't want them unhappy and underperforming for thinking I wont sell them. The big teams are spending 60-100+M for starting players and don't seem to have a problem spending 40-50M for players they stick in their reserves, sold a striker for 47,5 that has got less than a handful games for his new club as they have way better options around and yet my players think that it is unreasonable to at least expect the same clubs to pay an even slightly higher price than they are valued at. 

It feels like the players need to get a better understanding of the market for the willing to sell for a reasonable fee is going to be of any use or we need the option to tell them that we don't want to sell but if a good enough offer was to come in we could be persuaded. The option to say as soon as I find a replacement is made useless by the promise to accept ANY bids. Players with release clauses should pretty much accept that the clause they seem to have thought reasonable in their negotiations should be the pricetag as long as they are key players, if they found that to be an unreasonable price they should had negotiated a lower one.

To avoid these conversation dead end issues I'll tend to only speak with players I want to keep so that I have a chance to convince them to stay. if I'm happy to let the player leave I just ignore their conversation request & get on with sorting out a move.

10 hours ago, Barside said:

To avoid these conversation dead end issues I'll tend to only speak with players I want to keep so that I have a chance to convince them to stay. if I'm happy to let the player leave I just ignore their conversation request & get on with sorting out a move.

I'll probably start doing the same since actually making an effort to keep the peace seems to cause a whole lot of more trouble than I need.

If I don't really want to sell a player, but will for a decent price and we can't agree on it, I tell him to jog on.

Another thing that is annoying me in the situation is when a player gets upset that I wont let him move because he would make a lot more money. I ask how much he want and tell him that can be arranged and go on to offer him a contract and his agen put something absurdly stupid in the contract that he refuses to negotiate, like in the latest case a minimum fee release limited to 30M for a player worth over 20M. The moment I press offer contract with an on all accounts improved deal, the wages we agreed to, better bonuses and clauses (all was what the agent asked for) and even lower the current minimum fee I think my obligations are met and the player should go be cranky at someone else. I should also have  the tools and opportunity to at least tell him why negotiations broke down. 

Which is kinda why it's way easier to just tell them that I said no and I don't care if they get mad even if I do plan to sell them or don't mind letting them go. Ironically it's way easier to convince the whole locker room that letting them go is a bad idea. The promise system works in such a way that it's simply a better idea not to make any promises at all and just deal with the lower morale.

I find it incredible that a player I bought for £100 million in 2017  is demanding I sell him at a £50 million loss.  Dude's 21, and he's won a European Golden Boy, World Player of the Year, Footballer of the Year, World Golden Ball, Best Player in Europe twice, a Golden Boot, a Golden Shoe and been runner-up for some of those awards as well.  He's arguably the best player in the world.  Why should I take a bath on him?

Fortunately, the media continue to speculate about an 'astonishing' bid of £71 million, or still nearly £30 million less than I paid.

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

5 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

He's probably the best player in the world; I don't think I did.

So in other words, there is no reasonable price for him. In your case, it's not even a conversation I'd enter into.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

So in other words, there is no reasonable price for him. In your case, it's not even a conversation I'd enter into.

Basically.  He does have a release clause, though; I'm happy to let him move if his clause is activated, and I'd like the option to say so.

51 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Basically.  He does have a release clause, though; I'm happy to let him move if his clause is activated, and I'd like the option to say so.

That should be one of the options in the conversation panel when he asks for a move. (I think it is also sometimes an option in press conferences).

What's the players current value as that is likely influencing the amount he wants to go for?

29 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

That should be one of the options in the conversation panel when he asks for a move. (I think it is also sometimes an option in press conferences).

What's the players current value as that is likely influencing the amount he wants to go for?

My players never accept that reasoning :D

To be fair, I always make sure the clause is quite high!

Mine do some times, though at the moment I can generally get players who cost under £30m to accept a reasonable bid is over £40m. Though I haven't found it much of a problem because regardless of which option you select if a team doesn't bid for the player then the player will generally cancel the promise after the transfer window closes and teams don't seem all that willing to pay up for my players who want out.

4 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

£52 million (£145kpw, two years remaining).  He's the ninth most valuable player in the world by that measure.  Thomas Lemar and Neymar are the highest at £63m; Lemar moved to Manchester City for £113 million in the previous season.  Dybala is the third-highest at £61m; he moved to United two seasons ago for £112 million.  Lemar and Dybala are the two high fees in this save.  Interestingly, the third-highest fee was Alvaro Morata to PSG for £111m; he's T-9 in value with my player.  Of the players above or equal in value to my player, Neymar hasn't moved; Lemar, Dybala and Morata have moved for more than mine's original fee; Pogba, Renato Sanches and Anthony Martial have all moved for significantly more than the £56 million he views as acceptable and the 'astonishing' £71 million figure attached to him.  Only Icardi and Hirving Lozano have moved for less than that £71 million number.  I sold Lozano myself for £70 million to facilitate a move for Bernardo Silva.  Icardi moved for £45.5 million after refusing to extend his contract (and also at the very end of a window where Inter turned down multiple bids of £75 million or more).

To be clear my issue here is with the context of the game world not keeping up with its reality, not with a player wanting out or whatever.  There've been thirteen transfers of more than £71 million since the start of the save.  Of those, three have or had higher CA at the time of their transfer; two had higher PA.   All of them are older and none of them have higher World Reputation (although that's a bit screwy; Leon Goretzka is currently the player with the highest reputation).  Certainly none of them have won the awards he has; he added a BPiE runner-up and a Young Player of the Year despite a fairly pedestrian season.  A bid of £71 million really isn't astonishing.  It'd be more noteworthy for how low it was, really. 

I've kept the name of my player out of this post because I've compared him to other players in CA and PA,

Player wants to leave that reduces his value, he is asking for around his value which is fair.  Its not his fault you paid double that for him.

Look at Diego Costa IRL, if he was happy at Chelsea and they wanted to keep him how much would it take to buy him? but as he isn't and talk today is a transfer of around £44m, it may end up less if Costa really pushes for a move.

Diego Costa isn't 22 and the best-performing player in the world.   He also wants to leave, while my player was never unhappy, never handed in a transfer request and is basically fine.  These are not similar situations.  

How much would it cost to get Pogba if he was agitating to leave?  Apparently about £90 million!

If a player wants to leave, they are naturally going to want to set a fee they see as realistically ensuring they get sold. This will be quite close to their value, to encourage bids. As the selling club, you will want to get as much money as possible from the player, and will as such value him higher. So my advice is that unless you want to sell a player for close to their value, do not even enter into these talks. If there is a huge bid you would accept, but it is unlikely you go for anything lower, then just telling you will not sell him. Yes, you have to live with an unhappy player, but that is life. You cannot please everyone all the time. I find that players tend to settle down again anyway, especially if it is interest that is causing them to be unsettled. They settle after the interest goes away.

3 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Diego Costa isn't 22 and the best-performing player in the world.   He also wants to leave, while my player was never unhappy, never handed in a transfer request and is basically fine.  These are not similar situations.  

How much would it cost to get Pogba if he was agitating to leave?  Apparently about £90 million!

Your player does want to leave, because he has asked you to leave. If you do not want to sell him, just straight up tell him he will not be sold. 

7 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

As sporadic has said above the player is asking you to accept a reasonable offer therefore you are having a discussion about him leaving.

7 hours ago, sporadicsmiles said:

If a player wants to leave, they are naturally going to want to set a fee they see as realistically ensuring they get sold. This will be quite close to their value, to encourage bids. As the selling club, you will want to get as much money as possible from the player, and will as such value him higher. So my advice is that unless you want to sell a player for close to their value, do not even enter into these talks. If there is a huge bid you would accept, but it is unlikely you go for anything lower, then just telling you will not sell him. Yes, you have to live with an unhappy player, but that is life. You cannot please everyone all the time. I find that players tend to settle down again anyway, especially if it is interest that is causing them to be unsettled. They settle after the interest goes away.

Your player does want to leave, because he has asked you to leave. If you do not want to sell him, just straight up tell him he will not be sold. 

He wants to leave and I'm happy to sell him as long as I get enoug out of the transfer to replace him, which means more and more every season. At this time a good player ready for PL football is around at least 90M, if you get extremly lucky you can get a bargain off the transfer list for 30-40M. And yes my player want to leave and would ensure that the price is fair but why can't I will sell you for this be my last word instead it has to be either to lower the price I find acceptable or I changed my mind you're going nowhere, which totally pisses the player off. This is one of the biggest reasons I have stopped talking to my players when they want to leave, they might be a bit unahppy but nowhere near as bad as the I changed my mind comment makes it.

Transfer market is broken in this game. I'm pretty much always forced to pay more than the player's value, even if he's from a different league and 30 years old. When I'm selling though I never get any reasonable bids. Bellerin told me he wants to leave and I said I'll let him go if I get 40 mil. He says that's unrealistic so I tell him 30 mil. He says that's daft and thinks that he should be sold for 20 mil. Then later Barcelona offer me 500k. WTF. Also another annoying thing. When someone asks me to let him go and I accept, and they're wanted by some club, I literally don't get any offers. Not even when I offer them. And then they become mad for half the season. How great.

Pretty much half of the last season I have gotten news how Real Madrid are planning to buy my D/WB/M/W R for astonishing 59M, he was valued at 54M. I kept issuing hands off warnings and the player is more than happy at the club and has not said anything about wanting to leave. Still every other day I kept getting the same message about how happy RM was that the player was playing good and how they were gonna buy him for 59-60M. Will be interesting to see what will happen when the transfer window opens in a few days as he is currently valued at 61M and happier than ever before after winning 1 domestic cup, the PL and CL last season.

24 minutes ago, pesek32 said:

Transfer market is broken in this game. I'm pretty much always forced to pay more than the player's value, even if he's from a different league and 30 years old. When I'm selling though I never get any reasonable bids. Bellerin told me he wants to leave and I said I'll let him go if I get 40 mil. He says that's unrealistic so I tell him 30 mil. He says that's daft and thinks that he should be sold for 20 mil. Then later Barcelona offer me 500k. WTF. Also another annoying thing. When someone asks me to let him go and I accept, and they're wanted by some club, I literally don't get any offers. Not even when I offer them. And then they become mad for half the season. How great.

The transfer market isn't broken at all.

You simply don't understand the concept of buying & selling. 

3 hours ago, mimland said:

He wants to leave and I'm happy to sell him as long as I get enoug out of the transfer to replace him, which means more and more every season. At this time a good player ready for PL football is around at least 90M, if you get extremly lucky you can get a bargain off the transfer list for 30-40M. And yes my player want to leave and would ensure that the price is fair but why can't I will sell you for this be my last word instead it has to be either to lower the price I find acceptable or I changed my mind you're going nowhere, which totally pisses the player off. This is one of the biggest reasons I have stopped talking to my players when they want to leave, they might be a bit unahppy but nowhere near as bad as the I changed my mind comment makes it.

For me there are essentially 3 types of players when it comes to transfers.

1. The players I want to sell, and will accept bids at or below their market value. These are players I have no use for, and want to get off the roster. These are the players I would talk to about a reasonable bid, because every other time I am being unreasonable because I want to sell high.

2. The players I do not want to sell, but would for a relatively modest bid, not too high about their value. These are usually players who either have little potential and I know I can replace for less money/wages, players who have peaked and are on high wages and it is better to sell them now than be stuck with their high wages when they decline, or squad players where I know exactly who I will replace them with and roughly how much that costs. In a conversation, I would tell the players they are going nowhere, and then set a valuation on them and talk to any bidding clubs. 

3. The players I do not want to sell, and will only accept stupid amounts for. These are the best players in my squad, they are not replaceable easily or cheaply, and so if you want to sign them you are paying stupidly high to do so. The last player I sold like this was for £90 million to PSG, after being purchased for £10 million and having 2 amazing years (he was one of the best talents in my game). These players will always be on long contracts because I will regularly extend it, especially if I suspect a player may want to leave or there will be clubs sniffing around. In a conversation, I tell him he is going nowhere, or ask him if he wants more money. If it is available I will do the "what do you want to stay" which may give me a promise about a cup I can win (risky, that). The player can be unhappy all he wants, he will normally get over it. Your player seems to me to fall into this category. You will accept what amounts to a stupid amount (in absolute terms). 

Honestly, I really do not care if I end up upsetting some of my players doing this. Only rarely do they carry on being unhappy once a transfer window is open and nobody wants them right there and then. Then it is often new contract time. You really cannot please all players all the time, and you do not need to get hung up on having unhappy players. Much, much worse is having your squad turn against you because you keep breaking promises. 

52 minutes ago, pesek32 said:

The transfer market can be annoying, but it is far from broken. AI teams try to unsettle your players so they can get them cheaper - they do this to each other too all the time. The user can do the same to AI players. Then you have the choice of selling below what you want, or playing their game and refusing to budge. I get stupid offers to unsettle my players frequently, I just reject them out of hand. I do the exact same as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The real key to the transfer market is to realise sometimes you cannot keep a player and may as well just sell them, and sometimes to realise that you are just not going to land that one player you had your eyes on this year, and try again the next. It pays to be patient, and it pays to have multiple targets including one you absolutely know can be signed during a particular transfer window.

16 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

£52 million (£145kpw, two years remaining).  He's the ninth most valuable player in the world by that measure.  Thomas Lemar and Neymar are the highest at £63m; Lemar moved to Manchester City for £113 million in the previous season.  Dybala is the third-highest at £61m; he moved to United two seasons ago for £112 million.  Lemar and Dybala are the two high fees in this save.  Interestingly, the third-highest fee was Alvaro Morata to PSG for £111m; he's T-9 in value with my player.  Of the players above or equal in value to my player, Neymar hasn't moved; Lemar, Dybala and Morata have moved for more than mine's original fee; Pogba, Renato Sanches and Anthony Martial have all moved for significantly more than the £56 million he views as acceptable and the 'astonishing' £71 million figure attached to him.  Only Icardi and Hirving Lozano have moved for less than that £71 million number.  I sold Lozano myself for £70 million to facilitate a move for Bernardo Silva.  Icardi moved for £45.5 million after refusing to extend his contract (and also at the very end of a window where Inter turned down multiple bids of £75 million or more).

To be clear my issue here is with the context of the game world not keeping up with its reality, not with a player wanting out or whatever.  There've been thirteen transfers of more than £71 million since the start of the save.  Of those, three have or had higher CA at the time of their transfer; two had higher PA.   All of them are older and none of them have higher World Reputation (although that's a bit screwy; Leon Goretzka is currently the player with the highest reputation).  Certainly none of them have won the awards he has; he added a BPiE runner-up and a Young Player of the Year despite a fairly pedestrian season.  A bid of £71 million really isn't astonishing.  It'd be more noteworthy for how low it was, really. 

I've kept the name of my player out of this post because I've compared him to other players in CA and PA,

Who are you playing as, what's your clubs rep and who is after him? - If you aren't one of the elite teams and he is the best player in the world he may feel he has outgrown your club and wants a move to one of the elite teams. Did you try increasing the value he wanted or did you just accept the first value he stated - you generally get three rounds of talks, you can also stand your ground and let him storm out of talks which would be equivalent to saying this is the amount I want, and whilst the player will become unhappy, though if no bids are forthcoming I find they tend to forget about it when transfer window closes provided they have plenty of time left on their contract.

And to be fair £71m is still an astonishing fee for a player, whilst I don't think the game really takes into account purchasing fee when selling a player (well apart from those news items that tell you how much a player cost per game when selling a flop) with the problem worse due to your vastly overpaying for the player compared to his value.

If you have a save game from before the talk with the player you can always upload it to the bugs forum and someone from SI can have a look at it to see if something has gone wrong.

Michael, I don't think it's a bug.  I want to be clear about that.  I think it's just the result of an opaque system that isn't particularly well implemented.  Player value is simply not a useful number as its currently calculated and presented to the player.

In this case, I'm Arsenal.  At the time of the interaction, Arsenal were the second-most reputable club in football, behind United.  Real Madrid are trying to buy the player; they're fourth. 

I think where we differ is this:

£71m is still an astonishing fee for a player

In FM's 2020, it's not that astonishing.  There've been 20 transfers for £60m or more so far, and probably another 20 of £50 to £60m so far.  Of the player's peers in value, ability or potential who have been sold, only one has moved for less than £70m; that was Icardi, who went under the most buyer-friendly circumstances possible.  There are four players who play in the same position, have similar value/CA/PA and have been sold; counting my player's original transfer, the average fee has been £89.5 million.  Take Icardi's £45.5m out and the average rises to £100m.   (EDIT: Looking at this again, I made some mistakes.  I had Martial down for £78m, but with clauses that rises to £92m.  Icardi's £45.5m rises to £87 million.  The average fee for similar players is £100.4 million.)  

Maybe those are all overpays.  I'm willing to concede that.  But the market would seem to suggest that overpaying is necessary for this sort of player, both in reality and in game.

Manchester United are preparing an astounding bid of £60m for Koke, according to the news of 21 Sep 2020 in this save.  How astounding would £60m be for a player of Koke's quality? 

I looked at all players with similar PA/CA/value rated as Natural at CM or LM.  By this measure, Koke has several peers in 2020.  The list is Pogba, Goretzka, Neves, R Sanches, Dier, Verratti, Casemiro, Alli, Thiago Maia, Neymar, Lemar, L Bailey and L Sane.  That list can be cut down a bit for my purposes; Casemiro, Deli Alli, Leroy Sane and Neymar haven't changed clubs, and Thiago Maia is my player; Goretzka has been both bought and sold by me, so I've removed him as well.  That leaves us with Pogba, Neves, Sanches, Dier, Verratti, Lemar and Bailey as our comparable players who have been involved in an AI transfer.  The average value of those deals is £83.4m.  Lemar is the high man at £113m and Dier the low at £48m.  Dier is also the worst of the bunch (slightly) by CA/PA; the next-lowest fee is the next-worst player.  The player with the most similar blend of defensive acumen, passing ability and physical traits to Koke is unsurprisingly Ruben Neves, who moved for £99 million.

So again, our astonishing fee is at least £20 million less than the average price paid for comparable players, and not that much more than the fees on the low end.  Yet again, player value isn't adding any useful information into the system.

Edit again: Thiago Maia is now being watched by Real Madrid, who are said to be ready to make a 'breathtaking' £49m bid, or tied for the 36th largest transfer fee since July 2017. 

Edited by Sunstrikuuu

Part of the problem is that there is no inflation in FM, if you buy a player at the top of the market in 2017 & are selling in 2021 you are unlikely to recoup your money & making a profit will be close to impossible even if clubs have significantly greater financial strength.

3 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

In FM's 2020, it's not that astonishing.  There've been 20 transfers for £60m or more so far, and probably another 20 of £50 to £60m so far.  Of the player's peers in value, ability or potential who have been sold, only one has moved for less than £70m; that was Icardi, who went under the most buyer-friendly circumstances possible.  There are four players who play in the same position, have similar value/CA/PA and have been sold; counting my player's original transfer, the average fee has been £89.5 million.  Take Icardi's £45.5m out and the average rises to £100m. 

Maybe those are all overpays.  I'm willing to concede that.  But the market would seem to suggest that overpaying is necessary for this sort of player, both in reality and in game.

There is a slight difference in that here you are not negotiating with another club, you are talking to one of your own players who wants to know the level of offer you'll accept.

He doesn't care about what other players have gone for or anything else, he only sees his in game value as a starting point for that discussion.  He also wants you to accept an offer therefore the figure in his mind is always going to be not much over his value, the more he wants to leave the lower he wants that figure to be.  If he didn't want to leave he wouldn't have started the conversation at all.

Yes, Cougar.  I understand that.  My position is that using in-game value as a starting point for that discussion is not appropriate.

30 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Yes, Cougar.  I understand that.  My position is that using in-game value as a starting point for that discussion is not appropriate.

The problem is if you don't use that where is the starting point.

We already know that players/teams don't "remember" previous transfer/contract offers and that if they did then the FM would slow to a crawl even with top end PCs.

SI have also been refining the value figure over the last few versions so that it includes many factors and is fairly decent as a guide.  Could it be better? probably but you need to focus on how it could be improved rather than just saying don't use it.

No, just don't use it.  Get rid of it entirely.  It does not now and has not in the past provided the player with useful information.  And use, as your starting point for these negotiations, the context of the game world.

A bit of followup to my post from yesterday about Koke and Thiago Maia.  Maia was to be the subject of a massive bid of £49.5 million.  Maia had a release clause of £80 million, and Real Madrid activated it with their first and only bid.  Additionally, Koke has been the subject of speculation for a gigantic £60 million bid.  Casemiro is a player I identified as a comparable based on current value, CA and PA.  Casemiro moved for £62 million.  That brings the average transfer fee for Koke comparables down from £83 million to £80.6 million, though that's slightly skewed by Maia's release clause.  Either way, I've yet to see a player identified as a top transfer target for high-reputation clubs move for anything like the suggested fee; they're all going for significantly more.

If you are buying a player for 80M£ or more you would want to re-generate that through a sale. I´m not sure if SI actually has planted in contract terms becoming valuable when selling players but IRL-football footballers become the more expensive (even the mediocre ones) the longer contracts they have signed with their club. Of course you should be looking to get less paid for a player that is perhaps in the last year of his contract and would want to avoid the bosman ruling too in the middle of all this than a star player having a contract until 2023. But I am not even sure if SI have implemented these basic facts when it concerns sellings and buyings. 

As for the reasonable bids according to players-discussion most players seem to only get happy if you are selling them for a value that the players feel will be easy for other clubs to come in and poach them from you. Once you as an manager start putting high reasonable bids then they are all behaving like spoiled little children who can´t expect that fee to be paid. So then you go on and lose a player for a club that he didn´t even want to join in the first place and the merry goes around. It´s called comedy sometimes. And I really don´t see it happening IRL that players call you into a meeting and saying "Hey will you let me go for this price to this specific club" when the season is played. If players want to leave IRL fine it happens, but players simply do not demande to determine the asking price for themselves. That´s only the club and it´s board (not working in FM) and manager to take into consideration.