[FM17] USA Real Life Expansion

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Giving all teams a youth intake would erase all of the MLS Default rules (no Wage Cap, no Designated Player, no Allocation Money, etc etc). You could re-create SOME of those rules, such as the wage cap, but you would never be able to sort it out perfectly. It would also mean that the MLS SuperDraft never occurs and there would be no MLS All-Star game. I'm honestly not sure what other knock-on effects would occur.

As for how to do it, with this file I believe you would have to go to the Nation Rules for USA, and set it to "Override All Original Rules" (or something like that) and then test all the rules. I doubt it would validate as is, and there would be some necessary changes. I might muck about with it and see what I can do.

Thanks for the response I want to play as a college team and have it that all teams  have a full compliment of players at any given time would it possible to only give a youth intake to the NCAA and pdl and not screw up the draft

Cheers for the updated file man, just restarted using it as I wanted to use the most upto date version, I'm only into third year on my original save. Have you had any issues with the new file? Does the draft still take players from NCAA teams, and do NCAA get players generated so they can leave them and go to the MLS?

They way that SI have designed the USA system is to have the USSDA Academy teams generate players. When they turn 18 they go directly to the PDL (NCAA in my file). There really isn't a way to change how that works without completely getting rid of the Default rules. That would mean every US team generates players, and all of the MLS rules would be gone, also no draft, no all-star game, etc.

6 hours ago, Uncle_Sam said:

They way that SI have designed the USA system is to have the USSDA Academy teams generate players. When they turn 18 they go directly to the PDL (NCAA in my file). There really isn't a way to change how that works without completely getting rid of the Default rules. That would mean every US team generates players, and all of the MLS rules would be gone, also no draft, no all-star game, etc.

Can Canadian players go to ncaa

3 hours ago, Uncle_Sam said:

In my current game a quick perusal of some the NCAA showed about 5 Canadian players, as well as Mexican, German, and Italian nationalities as well.

How does the ncaa work for signing players or is it just auto youth intake players assigned to u

55 minutes ago, Fmfan00 said:

How does the ncaa work for signing players or is it just auto youth intake players assigned to u

there are two ways to get players (to my knowledge):

1. you sign players UNDER the age of 23 on free transfers either as free agents or from other nearby schools etc

2. on January 1st every year you get a random number of players that "sign" for your school that come from the various academies around the USA. In my experience with my current NCAA save this number ranges from as little as one to as high as five

2 hours ago, drewedborg12 said:

there are two ways to get players (to my knowledge):

1. you sign players UNDER the age of 23 on free transfers either as free agents or from other nearby schools etc

2. on January 1st every year you get a random number of players that "sign" for your school that come from the various academies around the USA. In my experience with my current NCAA save this number ranges from as little as one to as high as five

This is how it works, and the January 1st bit is "hard coded".

2 hours ago, Fmfan00 said:

I'm playing as Boston College.. I know MLS academys its 15-18 once they turn 18 can we offer them deals to our colleges? also can players transfer schools or no?

In my experience, yes, players can "transfer" schools. In my current game the University of Virginia has snatched 10 players from other schools. While that obviously isn't a great representation of real life, it does help the traditional powers to stay closer to the top of College Soccer which is accurate.

As for signing the Academy players, I believe that most them get automatically assigned. To be honest I haven't yet played as an NCAA team on my latest iteration of the file. Right now I'm going through testing out the various levels to see what it's like to play in each league. My current team is the Knoxville Force in the NPSL South and next I will try to jump to either a PDL or NCAA team.

Future of the File

Please keep posting feedback on the file's "playability" at all levels. I know that it isn't perfect. Sadly, it likely never will be. 

Limitations - So the hard-coding with the USA system severely limits the file in ways that I don't believe that I can even fully know. I believe that it can be most glaringly seen in the lower divisions (Everything below the NCAA).

Known Issues:

1. Teams below the NCAA lose their coaches and never hire a replacement - I believe that this is an issue connected with the hard coding. I honestly don't know how to begin sorting it out. My only thought is to drastically alter the reputations, but this would mean raising the reputations for ALL clubs in the USA to very high levels and there are no guarantees that it will work.

2. Very few teams below the third division fill their squad - Another issue I believe is to do with hard coding. For one, I believe that there is a hard number of players. I theorize that I could activate 2000 clubs, but there still would be the same number (-ish) of players based in the USA.

Future Changes (FM 2018)

1. Add whatever expansion teams MLS adds this year. Right now it looks like Tampa Bay and Sacramento are shoe-ins, but after that it's quite the logjam. Nashville SC and FC Cincinnati are strong candidates, but there has recently been positive news for North Carolina, Detroit, and St. Louis. Of the 12 cities it seems like only San Diego, San Antonio, and Charlotte are out.

2. I plan on developing a companion file that includes the recently announced USL3 and NISA. Neither division has announced any teams so the file would be almost entirely speculative, but it would add the element of promotion/relegation to an MLS compatible file.

Playing as FC Dallas my team was eligible for the FIFA World Club Championship but I had to forfeit because no player registration prompt came up with the result that all my players we ineligible.  I checked my log to ensure that I didn't simply overlook something but I saw no prompt for registration.  Normally things that require a response nag you but that didn't happen either.  Was this an isolated incident or has someone else noticed this?

On 8/9/2017 at 21:06, Longhorn said:

Playing as FC Dallas my team was eligible for the FIFA World Club Championship but I had to forfeit because no player registration prompt came up with the result that all my players we ineligible.  I checked my log to ensure that I didn't simply overlook something but I saw no prompt for registration.  Normally things that require a response nag you but that didn't happen either.  Was this an isolated incident or has someone else noticed this?

I have never had that issue and played the Club World Cup multiple times. If you're using a custom DB file for the "FIFA World Club Championship" then there could be a conflict.

On 8/7/2017 at 18:03, Fmfan00 said:

Any possible way to scout all of the PDL leagues all at once with 2 scouts and a director of Football or no?

I'll have to look into this one... If not it's a hard coding issue. I know that scouting the USSDA and NCAA is difficult because your scouts are only looking for players that you can feasibly sign, which in the USSDA are only the players in your Academy team.

2 hours ago, Uncle_Sam said:

I have never had that issue and played the Club World Cup multiple times. If you're using a custom DB file for the "FIFA World Club Championship" then there could be a conflict.

I went back to an older save and reran the game.  Still no prompt.  I checked the ingame competition rules which stated that I should register the team on November 27th and there was no prompt on or around that date to register.  So, something is amiss, and no, I am not using anything else that modifies the database.

2 hours ago, Uncle_Sam said:

I'll have to look into this one... If not it's a hard coding issue. I know that scouting the USSDA and NCAA is difficult because your scouts are only looking for players that you can feasibly sign, which in the USSDA are only the players in your Academy team.

I looked into it and yah you can instead of scouting the scouting range when u assign a scout to scout somewhere gol to nation and then it will show PPDL or whatever the league is

On 8/11/2017 at 19:51, Longhorn said:

I went back to an older save and reran the game.  Still no prompt.  I checked the ingame competition rules which stated that I should register the team on November 27th and there was no prompt on or around that date to register.  So, something is amiss, and no, I am not using anything else that modifies the database.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've run multiple tests now and I've simply not come across it.

4 hours ago, Uncle_Sam said:

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I've run multiple tests now and I've simply not come across it.

Does it matter which database we load with this update?  I don't recall whether I used the original FM 2017 database or the updated one.  Also, I made a copy of your mod and then made a few tweaks to FC Dallas to reflect roster changes.  Perhaps I inadvertently affected something else although I don't recall touching anything other than FC Dallas.  Anyway, if nobody else is seeing this problem then good since it is a nice mod to the game.

Can someone please explain to me where to put the graphics ? Do i need to rename the folders ? Or take the image files and drop them somewhere ? 

I was under the impression that logos go to the folder "logos" etc, but aparently not ... Just pretend i am slow and stupid :)

Also, if anybody could be so kind as to direct me (via pm, if preferred) to a real name file working with this, i would be much obliged. Could only find some cryptic remarks about it on sortitoutsi ... Thank you

Edited by Marinho

Linking to a file that alters the names of the competitions on the Official SI Forums would be a violation of their terms of service, due to licensing agreements and restrictions. Unfortunately I can't really say anything more than that without breaking forum rules. I do apologize.

As for the graphics, it goes in the "Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2017/graphics" folder. If such a folder does not exist, then you must create it. Once you are in the game, go to the FM Drop Down menu, select "Preferences", then "Interface", push the "Clear Cache" button, then go back and click on "Reload Skin". The graphics should showup afterwards.

Thanks for the quick reply, but ... :)

"It goes in ..." ---> Which folder do i have to copy where ? considering you provide 1 Folder containing 3 Subfolders (which then contain both images and further subfolders) , "It" does not really help my confusion. The one name "USA Expansion Graphics" with the 3 sub-folders ? or the three single ones contained within the subfolder ? Had no success with either method. Maybe a screenshot of their placement ? Especially confusing is yout comment about having the competition logos in a seperate folder within graphics.

I got the club logos to work by placing them in a "logos" folder I created within the graphics folder (and which contains different logo packs as well) and the kits seem to work as well , but not all of the competition logos work.

Great! Here's the file then. Have in mind that I increased the MLS reputation a bit to 140, so now it is in line with the Turkish and Swiss leagues (which is realistic IMO) while still below the Mexican league (145 reputation in the original DB). Team reputations were also increased accordingly. I did this in order for the transfer market to be more realistic. Have in mind that I haven't tried the file yet but I didn't have any problems when I verified it in the editor so it should work.

59812e65f3092_USAExpansion1.3_90EDD1D6-0000-4DFB-9314-9B31364516F7.fmf

And here's a bonus file. I edited the transfer preferences for the US for them to be (IMO) more realistic than they are in the original DB.

USA transfer preferences_B7205421-C8CF-4C80-9A6E-689A8F28C0D2.fmf

On 8/23/2017 at 11:38, Javier said:

Great! Here's the file then. Have in mind that I increased the MLS reputation a bit to 140, so now it is in line with the Turkish and Swiss leagues (which is realistic IMO) while still below the Mexican league (145 reputation in the original DB). Team reputations were also increased accordingly. I did this in order for the transfer market to be more realistic. Have in mind that I haven't tried the file yet but I didn't have any problems when I verified it in the editor so it should work.

And here's a bonus file. I edited the transfer preferences for the US for them to be (IMO) more realistic than they are in the original DB.

Javier question for u.. Whenever i played before i would see england teams go after my players on the academy team wihtout the MLS teams even looking at them or matching the england teams offer as they have the first to buy type thing. With u improving MLS's reputation does that mean we will see more MLS teams signing players from their academy?

2 hours ago, Fmfan00 said:

Javier question for u.. Whenever i played before i would see england teams go after my players on the academy team wihtout the MLS teams even looking at them or matching the england teams offer as they have the first to buy type thing. With u improving MLS's reputation does that mean we will see more MLS teams signing players from their academy?

I don't really know TBH. But it's certainly possible that it could have an influence.

I want to put Ottawa Fury's academy squad from PLSQ league they are listed in FM17 which isnt playable to USSDA Northeast Division.. is it do able even if i swap one of the Northeast teams and put them in PLSQ and move Fury Academy to that league in the database

Edited by Fmfan00

Would love to use this file but unfortunately it messes up my Indian Super League file as you have changed the Indian Third Division to one of the lower leagues in America, apart from that problem the file looks great! Good job.

• 3 weeks later...

One thing is have noticed is the Manager reputations seems to rise very quickly... I have won the Usl with Reno and suddenly I'm getting job offer's from MLS side's. Also they are bringing in managers with little to no experience.

On 23/8/2017 at 12:38, Javier said:

Could you put the files in other host?

• 1 month later...

So I have a question. It's just after the first year of the game, I've managed to win the NCAA championship as Marist, and we've rolled over to when the schedule has started for next season... and I've been informed of my berth in the championship again?

Is this working as intended? Is this part of the at large teams system, or has something broke?

• 2 weeks later...

An issue brought up in this thread about starting a save in 2017 season and trying to keep the US league added after starting the save.

The problem with a load of "fake" players added to US teams in MLS and others when the league eventually are to start in 1/1/2018 has nothing to do with this Expansion. I've tried without and even with other Expansions for US and the terrible thing of getting hundreds of fake players added when the 2018 kicks in is something SI hasn't been able to fix in their "last" 17.3.2 fix.

It's a bloody shame since in the past (2015 for sure) you could add the US leagues directly "After NewYear" without getting this. Having a game with an option of starting all other leagues in the second half of a normal European Leagues season (that's start in 2017 in FM2017) should work even with US league. Not sure if they fixed it in FM2018 (lets hope it, haven't bought it yet)

Talking about licenses is just crazy since starting in "normal" period makes the US league kicking in for that opening after New Year without problems. It's only if one keep the US dormant for that first year and then add it as a playable league this fill-up of players kicks in.

If someone has come up with a solution to the problem I would like to know. (And that is not starting the save during the summer or fall). 

Uncle_Sam might think of setting the off-period (holiday) for US a little different so that teams are not in holiday-mode when the new year kicks in. That might make the teams to understand they have enough players on their rosters and NOT add the fake players. Just my 2 cent of thought.

I must add this that not ALL MLS team get these "fake" new players, 5-6 teams doesn't even if they have all theirs on holiday, so the bug isn't about holiday but unknown. Same goes for teams in the lower leagues. One can accept those since some players do pop up without having too much of "history" in lower leagues, but the MLS should be "clean". 

Edited by mine

• 2 weeks later...
On 3-11-2017 at 04:20, Silent_Thunder said:

So I have a question. It's just after the first year of the game, I've managed to win the NCAA championship as Marist, and we've rolled over to when the schedule has started for next season... and I've been informed of my berth in the championship again?

Is this working as intended? Is this part of the at large teams system, or has something broke?

I had this exact same problem. Immediately after the season had ended, the entire NCAA Championship had the full 48 teams drawn into the tournament, which wouldn't start for another 10 months. So far I've been pretty unable to find out how to qualify for the tournament other than through the confederations, because the game doesn't really give a clear overview of where all the qualified teams come from. With a completely filled tournament by January, when the regular season hasn't even started by a long shot, I'm doubting whether the qualifiers allocation is completely right...