No Sweeper Keeper Newgens

Hello Everybody!

A Sweeper Keeper is an essential part of my current tactic ,  he's got to be comfortable with the ball at his feet. I've got Mile Svilar who is doing an awesome job, but I need a backup SK. Currently I'm in my 8th season, I'm looking for a SK newgen every year, all over the world, but I just could not find any! All of the newgen keepers passing and first touch attributes are between 1 and 3....

I understand that Sweeper Keepers are rare, I don't expect a  SK to be as good as Neuer, but I think I should be able to find at least a competent SK newgen with passing and first touch attributes closer to 10 than 0....

Has anybody encountered newgen Sweeper Keepers, or is it something the game misses?

Don't know how much it makes a difference (although I could swear I've seen a couple of purely passing-related mistakes by my regen GK leading to a goal) but it definitely is one of my pet peeves in the game. In my Ebbsfleet save I'm in the year 2026 and looking at my scouting screen, two keepers with passing 10+ are regens, the rest (about a hundred maybe) are original database keepers. Even lowering the filter to passing 7 only gives 15 regens. And in my experience making them train passing doesn't help either, you get the "training is not beneficial" message very quickly.

Again, I don't know how much it really makes a difference but there's obviously something wrong here, and I hope it gets fixed for FM18.

6 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

You really can use any keeper as a Sweeper Keeper. It doesn't make a difference. Certainly not a noticeable one, anyway.

I partly agree, altough not 100% :

5 hours ago, kozmik said:

Don't know how much it makes a difference (although I could swear I've seen a couple of purely passing-related mistakes by my regen GK leading to a goal) but it definitely is one of my pet peeves in the game.

I may not notice a difference for the rushing out part of the sweeper keepers, but in my tactic that's not the priority task of the keeper (since my defensive line is not always high). I use my SK as an extra passing option for my defenders, so that we can get the ball out of the defence with simple short passes, even if the opposition's forwards are closing down.  In my first season I didn't have a SK, used my regular GK as a SK, and when he was closed down, he - more often than not - just simply kicked the ball forward without destination, and then we lost the ball. Now that my SK has good composure, first touch and passing, he calmy (at least most of the time) passes to one our defenders and we can retain possession. 

It's the same as with the defenders, if I want to play out of defence effectively, I need central defenders with good enough composure, first touch, passing, and preferably vision.

1 minute ago, cocoadavid said:

I partly agree, altough not 100% :

I may not notice a difference for the rushing out part of the sweeper keepers, but in my tactic that's not the priority task of the keeper (since my defensive line is not always high). I use my SK as an extra passing option for my defenders, so that we can get the ball out of the defence with simple short passes, even if the opposition's forwards are closing down.  In my first season I didn't have a SK, used my regular GK as a SK, and when he was closed down, he - more often than not - just simply kicked the ball forward without destination, and then we lost the ball. Now that my SK has good composure, first touch and passing, he calmy (at least most of the time) passes to one our defenders and we can retain possession. 

It's the same as with the defenders, if I want to play out of defence effectively, I need central defenders with good enough composure, first touch, passing, and preferably vision.

My keeper has a passing attribute of 1 and vision of 4 for the Bundesliga and he's doing just fine as a sweeper keeper. He's very effective with no mistakes so far, going on season 3.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

My keeper has a passing attribute of 1 and vision of 4 for the Bundesliga and he's doing just fine as a sweeper keeper. He's very effective with no mistakes so far, going on season 3.

That's actually a very poor reflection on this area of the ME, a keeper with those ratings who is asked to play the SK role  should be making mistakes in distribution on a fairly regular basis, if anything the regularity of mistakes should be much more frequent & have an increased level of of severity in such a high standard league

To have no standout errors in 3 seasons is actually appalling.

1 minute ago, Barside said:

That's actually a very poor reflection on this area of the ME, a keeper with those ratings who is asked to play the SK role  should be making mistakes in distribution on a fairly regular basis, if anything the regularity of mistakes should be much more frequent & have an increased level of of severity in such a high standard league

To have no standout errors in 3 seasons is actually appalling.

Yeah, not saying it's good at all, but I've had no issues. Granted, I'm not using an Attack Duty (Support in my case), but he gets his fair share of back passes and calmly distributes to the defence if he can and I've had no issues there.

Also like the OP I'm a fair few years into my save and have yet to find a reasonable sweeper keeper. I do think this needs fixing for FM18 but I can understand there's much more important issues than lack of sweeper keeper regens.

It ought to be a relatively simple issue to fix though: tweaking a couple of parameters to make a couple of particular variables high on rare occasions doesn't seem as finely balanced as some of the other compromises players have to make.

As Barside pointed out, the problem of keepers with very poor attributes for sweeper keeper playing it just fine is a bigger issue (though that is quite low down the match engine issues with keepers)

43 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Yeah, not saying it's good at all, but I've had no issues. Granted, I'm not using an Attack Duty (Support in my case), but he gets his fair share of back passes and calmly distributes to the defence if he can and I've had no issues there.

One thing it does suggest is that the OP's concerns are unfounded, that shouldn't be the case but it is.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

I accept that a goalkeeper with poor distributing ability can be used as a sweeper keeper and he will be doing just fine, I don't say there is a big difference. In my first season my regular GK playing as a SK did just fine most of the time, did no costly mistakes. I only noticed the difference when I was watching every single goalkick of the game on full match mode, and the opposition team were pressing very aggressively, and my 'true' sweeper keeper just seemed to handle these situations better, with more successfull passes. So like 95% of the time there is no significant difference, as you've already said.

One thing I can think of is that in case of short simple passes under pressure, maybe the most important attribute is composure...? And passing and vision may not really count that much (at least for the keeper).

18 minutes ago, cocoadavid said:

One thing I can think of is that in case of short simple passes under pressure, maybe the most important attribute is composure...? And passing and vision may not really count that much (at least for the keeper).

composure and decisions when under pressure i think. it looks bad when they just punt it, but its better than trying to be too clever. i think decisions are definitely under rated for keepers

Archived