Transfer fee calculation

Firstly, if this is in the incorrect section I apologize; please feel free to move it. 

How do you as managers calculate what you will accept from a team for a player? I understand that there are plenty of variables to consider, status in squad, performance, but what is the most basic way you decide how much to sell a player for? 

Dan 

Personally for me, I look at age, (if they are young, potential) form, how much I use them, if I have suitable alternatives for that position or how much a replacement would cost, time left on his contract, and finally his happiness. After that it's whether the buying club are in the same league (and add extra if they are) 

but the basic two are how often I use him, and how much I pay him to do whatever.. there's no point paying a guy 200 grand a week if he's not even making the bench :) 

There are patterns in FM, depending on your reputation as a club, the player's reputation, his age, value and various other factors that work under the hood and I am unaware of.
Let me give you some of my examples with Olympiacos from Greece in FM16, after one year with a reputation of 4*, and hopefully you'll get the point.
-A 30y old GK, with a reputation of 3* and a value of 4M, can be sold for 12M.
-A 30y old DC, with a reputation of 3* and a value of 2M, can be sold for 4M.
-A 26y old DC, with a reputation of 2* and a value of 2.5M, can be sold for 7M.
-A 24y old DR, with a reputation of 3* and a value of 5M, can be sold for 16M.
-A 22y old DL, with a reputation of 3* and a value of 5.5M can be sold for 30M.
-A 25y old DMC, with a reputation of 3* and a value of 4.5M, can be sold for 18M.
-A 34y old DMC, with a reputation of 3.5* and a value of 1M, can be sold for 500K.
-A 20y old DMC, with a reputation of 2* and a value of 1.5M, can be sold for 9M.
-A 25y old MC, with a reputation of 2.5* and a value of 2.5M, can be sold for 8M.
-A 24 y old AMC, with a reputation of 3.5* and a value of 7.5M, can be sold 28M.
-A 17y old AMC, with a reputation of 2* and a value of 1M, can be sold 11M.
-A 21y old AMR, with a reputation of 3.5* and a value of 7M, can be sold for 30M.
-A 25y old AMR, with a reputation of 2* and a value of 3M, can be sold for 12M.
-A 19y old AML, with a reputation of 3* and a value of 7.5M, can be sold for 45M.
-A 25y old AML, with a reputation of 3* and a value of 11M, can be sold for 18M.
-A 30y old ST, with a reputation of 3* and a value of 4M, can be sold for 8M.
-A 24y old ST, with a reputation of 3* and a value of 3M, can be sold for 20M.
-A 17y old ST, with a reputation of 2* and a value of 500K, can be sold for 9M.

(the previous is not 100% a hard rule and amounts are in €)

What I personally do, is to check each player's value, and try to estimate how much I can get. Then I compare him with a possible future signing in his position (attributes, price, reports, etc.).
Finances may play a part (if I am in need of money).
I don't necessarily think to myself "I paid a total of 5M for player X (transfer fee+wages+bonuses+etc. for X amount of years at my club minus his "help" at my club), therefore I have to sell him for 5M+ to make a profit".
No. I might sell for less, if I am in an good financial position and I have to get another player in his position no matter what.

9 hours ago, danthemanwhocan said:

Firstly, if this is in the incorrect section I apologize; please feel free to move it. 

How do you as managers calculate what you will accept from a team for a player? I understand that there are plenty of variables to consider, status in squad, performance, but what is the most basic way you decide how much to sell a player for? 

Dan 

Its really all about the club you are at.

What are there finances like, how valuable are the players and how easily can you replace them.

Take my current club - Pogon in Poland.  We are somewhere between a mid table-European places club so similar to say a West Ham, Southampton or Everton in England.

Money wise we have less than £1m in the bank and we just about break even over a season with maybe the sale of one player.  Both income & expenses are around £7-£8m a season.

The better players in the team are valued at between £200k & £500k with an odd one up towards £750k. 

For a first team player I've set a personnel target of £1m, if I get an offer above that I will generally accept it.  Its a significantly sum for the club which is usually around double/triple what a player is valued at.  If I want to get rid of a player I have to accept less but I try to maximise what I can get.  Sometimes you get a decent offer, sometimes you don't.

I appreciate the replies, thank you. 

The reason I asked is because I was in the middle of making an Excel workbook which would help me organise my team and track their developments, supposedly anyway, and I was struggling with a calculation which would be within acceptable parameters to provide an approximate sale value. With that calculation so far I have factors in it like, if the player is an academy graduate, the role of the player in the team, first team etc. the current value of the player, I will be adding in the age of the player as a factor too.  

The whole thing is far from finished as I will be adding macros and the like to promote players to the first team and move other to a transfer list type thing. 

I realise that most of this stuff is already in game in a way, and some of it is how I would show something, some of it is I was doing a project for a school assignment to demonstrate certain skills with Excel and technical writing. 

Anyway, thanks again!

Ahh. Now then your best bet would of been to screenshot any random player from your squad stats screen and basically "asked the audience" for what they would sell him for and why. Although now I've wrote that I'm willing to bet that if you did that, you would get completely different valuations from myself, ilkork and cougar lol 

Yes! That seems like a useful exercise. It will also allow me to see if the projection I have and the variables are accurate to an extent based on what you would sell for or how much you would buy for. Nice idea. 

I will post a screenshot of Ben Garratt when I get back home. 

Cheers! 

3 hours ago, Mrlee.1986 said:

Ahh. Now then your best bet would of been to screenshot any random player from your squad stats screen and basically "asked the audience" for what they would sell him for and why. Although now I've wrote that I'm willing to bet that if you did that, you would get completely different valuations from myself, ilkork and cougar lol 

So, how much? haha

Ben Garratt.PNG

I usually only sell for two motives;

1) player is no longer needed and I'm sick of paying his wage - i'll accept the highest offer I get when I tout him to other clubs

2) I have a specific target in mind and need to raise money - I try and sell the highest value rotation/backup player, whom I can live without, for the amount I need (or more).

If I have a first team player or youngster that is key to my team or plans... then generally no figure will prise him away.  

3 hours ago, danthemanwhocan said:

So, how much? haha

Ben Garratt.PNG

If an unsolicited bid came in for him, and I have somebody on my shortlist I can get for a cheap-ish amount, I'd look to get around 1m for him. He's still young and got decent stats for a keeper. He'll never be a regular Prem keeper and will probably not be good enough to help you go up either. On the other hand, he's still young for a keeper, has no stand-out weaknesses, has been a starter at 2 successive promotion-winning teams, and has just signed a long-term contract, so at least 1m (or thereabouts), plus any clauses/bonuses I can get away with, would be my asking price.

4 hours ago, danthemanwhocan said:

So, how much? haha

Ben Garratt.PNG

As I said its not just about the player but the club as well and what their finances are like.

So lets see what I can get from the pic.  Ok you are Crewe and have just been promoted to the Championship which suggests finances are somewhere between poor and ok, I doubt you have millions sitting in the bank unless you've sold a lot of good young players.  Garratt is a former youth player who has a lot of apps for a 24yo but you've also promised him more first team action next season which suggests that you have another keeper that you perhaps preferred as first choice last year.  He has three years left on his contract while at 24yo he has more or less reached his level.

The next question is what sort of club is going to buy him and how much money do they have.  He is probably not going to go to a Premiership club which leaves Championship/SPL/2nd tier clubs in major nations/top tier clubs in countries like Holland/Belgium.  Out of those the Championship clubs are probably likely to have the most money to spend aside from clubs competing in Europe (But they aren't likely to be interested in him).  Overall I more or less agree with Mons about the £1m mark would seem about right if you aren't that bothered about selling.  If you are forced to sell its a different story and you might have to accept as low as £400kish.

EDIT

TBH If I had a replacement lined up from the youth team or cheap transfer I would probably consider offers over around £750k.

I stand corrected then, around 750k to 1 million - plus maybe a sell on % - seems fair if you're not actively looking to sell, he's young, English, premier league, those stats ain't too bad either to be fair - although I will disagree with @Cougar2010 slightly, I believe goalkeepers generally peak a few years later than outfield player. I'm sure it's into the 30s. 

39 minutes ago, Mrlee.1986 said:

I stand corrected then, around 750k to 1 million - plus maybe a sell on % - seems fair if you're not actively looking to sell, he's young, English, premier league, those stats ain't too bad either to be fair - although I will disagree with @Cougar2010 slightly, I believe goalkeepers generally peak a few years later than outfield player. I'm sure it's into the 30s. 

Generally I would agree with you but improvement seems to take a significant nosedive after 25yo and its also the age where the CA & PA stars align.

Thats not to say they can't improve further but it is far less likely & much slower.

7 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

TBH If I had a replacement lined up from the youth team or cheap transfer I would probably consider offers over around £750k.

i think this is the main reason you should ever let a player go, and where AI squads fail. although teams are a lot better at getting youngsters through than they used to be, they arent quite there yet for knowing when those 'squad' players can be moved on without being missed that much

it is the best weapon you have to give yourself the edge in a tricky save, where a couple of million from squad planning can make the difference between going back down and getting that 1 extra player that can change a season

15 hours ago, Cougar2010 said:

As I said its not just about the player but the club as well and what their finances are like.

So lets see what I can get from the pic.  Ok you are Crewe and have just been promoted to the Championship which suggests finances are somewhere between poor and ok, I doubt you have millions sitting in the bank unless you've sold a lot of good young players.  Garratt is a former youth player who has a lot of apps for a 24yo but you've also promised him more first team action next season which suggests that you have another keeper that you perhaps preferred as first choice last year.  He has three years left on his contract while at 24yo he has more or less reached his level.

The next question is what sort of club is going to buy him and how much money do they have.  He is probably not going to go to a Premiership club which leaves Championship/SPL/2nd tier clubs in major nations/top tier clubs in countries like Holland/Belgium.  Out of those the Championship clubs are probably likely to have the most money to spend aside from clubs competing in Europe (But they aren't likely to be interested in him).  Overall I more or less agree with Mons about the £1m mark would seem about right if you aren't that bothered about selling.  If you are forced to sell its a different story and you might have to accept as low as £400kish.

EDIT

Not quite. I promised the team I wouldnt make many transfers in the end of season team talk, that I will give them the chance or something along those lines.  

Archived