I am rubbish at FM - take a look at my tactic

Context

• So I have never overachieved in FM, the best I've ever done is meet my media prediction. Whilst this might sound 'ok', it makes the game rather boring as it's fun to do well right?
  • I'm playing FM16
  • I'm playing as Bochum in 2.Bundesliga, predicted to finish 8th
  • I've chosen the recommended coaching badges so as not to handicap myself further
  • I'll talk through my thought process about why I've set up my tactic as I have - it would be great to have some feedback.

Formation

• Most of the teams seem to play 4-4-1-1. Initially I was tempted to go 4-1-4-1 to negate opposition AMC but having had trouble getting support to lone strikers in the past I've opted to match most of the opposition I face. So 4-4-1-1 it is.
  • I also have plenty of fullbacks and wingers whilst having few strikers. So it seems to fit my squad too.

Roles and Duties 

20170621174727_1.jpg

Striker - Defensive Forward - Defend

• He has great strength and balance so as a lone striker it is his job to hold up the ball.
  • I chose defend as I want him to be close to the AMC and not to have to pass long distances -  defend duty has 'hold position'
  • I discounted Deep lying forward as his first touch, passing, decisions and vision are average and this has more risky passes.
  • He has great finishing, pace and acceleration so Advanced forward was an option but I felt as a lone forward I needed someone to wait for support to arrive

AMC - Shadow striker - Attack

• If my centre forward isn't scoring goals, who is? Well this guy hopefully
  • He has decent off the ball, finishing, composure and first touch. He can dribble and pass a bit too.
  • I'm concerned he has low aggression though, and may not burst a lung to get in the box. As i'm depending on him to score!
  • I could have gone attacking midfielder - attack but shadow striker seems to have a higher mentality and this guy must get forward.

ML - Wide Playmaker - Support

• If my Striker is holding it up, and my AMC is my scorer, who is going to play in the AMC? This guy hopefully.
  • My most creative player with great vision, passing, decisions first touch etc.
  • My concern is he should be more central to play through balls but he has terrible balance and bravery so I don't want him being out muscled in the middle. Hopefully he will have more time and space out wide

CM - Central Midfielder - Support - Risky passes added

• This guy needs to be able to defend and he does have good work rate, determination, tackling, teamwork etc.
  • However he also has excellent passing, vision, decisions
  • Given this I was tempted to make him a Deep Lying Playmaker but I was unsure if having two playmakers on the same strata was illogical?
  • So instead I decided to give him more risky passes

CM - Central Midfielder - Defend

• This guy has decent work rate, determination, tackling, teamwork so he is just there to break up play

MR - Winger - Support

• I felt I needed a bit of width since the wide playmaker on the other side will be narrow/coming inside

DR/DL - Fullbacks - both on support

• I may be being too negative here. My thinking was they should just be there to recycle possession but can I afford an attack duty - I don't know.

Any feedback appreciated :) 

I think your a bit conservative on the flanks, personally I would give the right winger and the left fullback attack duties:

- I would want the right winger to the attack if the attack comes over the other flank as with just an forward and AMC there aren't that many passing options up front.

- I would want the left back to overlap the wide playmaker to give the playmaker another forward passing option and also get some crosses in from the byline on the left side now and then to make attacks a bit less predictable for your opponent.

@Leccy I play a 442 with a RPM and a DLP(S) side by side, and there are no issues. What you need to understand is what each role brings to your side. You can use 11 support duties in your team and the system will still work. The key here lies in understanding the differences between the duties, and how these impact how your team moves with and without the ball. If you do understand this then you will know that a system with a lot of support duties requires several things to exist to function well. 

Since you have plenty of support duties, the "Get Forward" instruction becomes a choice each player makes during transitions. Whether they take part in transitions or not depends on how you control certain areas of the pitch. If your example, your team has moved to secure midfield, you could see your midfielders start to make off the ball runs.  For this to work well, you'd be depending a lot on attributes like decisions, anticipation, off the ball, work rate, determination. If these are in short supply you will struggle. If the Winger has great off the ball and acceleration then when the ball goes to the CMs and you have control of midfield, he will do an off the ball run. How aggressively he does that becomes a function of his mentality and whether you have the pass into space shout active. The shout encourages players to play more risky through balls into space, this in turn forces players to attack those spaces. Its a risky shout as it can also lead to loss of possession, but you have so many players on support it almost becomes a non issue. There are many people who have found success with tactics that don't feature a single attacking duty, so I wouldn't do a radical change to your system.

What I would do is to change some of the PIs to encourage more vertical movement from some players and horizontal movements from others. This will encourage your fullbacks a bit more, the large number of support duties, ensures cohesion and close support during transitions.  For example, you could tell the WP to sit narrower and cut inside, you could. also tell the winger to do the same if you wanted. 

Looking at your tactic and your results, I get the impression you have a decent grasp of the risk/reward conundrum that I usually allude to in my videos, so trying some little things may not be such a bad idea when you consider one last thing. The number of support duties you have may also allow your tactic to play on any mentality/shape combination. The only thing I would do is to convert one of the FB(S) to an FB(D) if I went attacking/very fluid.

Archived