Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Fatoslaf

Director of Football instructions

As I am from Holland, all we know and can do in football is to buy cheap and sell for a profit. I often find myself replicating this in FM; buying a cheap Colombian talent for 1 million Euro's, develop the player and then sell them once they're in their early 20's for a profit.

After some years I often have a lot of zeros in the bank while buying and selling a lot of players. Sometimes I foolishly let my Director of Football do the bidding and then when it's time to sell I see this message and I facepalm: "Club X gets 40% of Player Y's transfer fee".. 

I noticed that during a lot of my games Directors of Football pretty much automatically offer a 40% sell on clause for young talents. For instance, if a player is valued at 100k and the asking price is 200k-500k, they'll offer something like: 300k + 40% sell on clause. They even do this if you have 100M+ in the bank. The worst part is that often in the situation mentioned, you can offer 400k without the clause and they'll accept it as well.

Maybe it depends on the Director of Football you have at the club, but in any case I think it would be adding realism to the game if you can give extra instructions to your DoF. Some options I could think of are: "Never offer X clause" or "Maximum Sell on clause is 10%" or "Pay X% in cash".

Cheers!

Edited by Fatoslaf

Rather than a never rule that could see you missing out on a good deal how about a system where they send a message to say they cannot get a deal done that meets the set requirements but a deal can be done on x terms & give you the option to accept or decline?

Would hate to miss out on a player because a clause was 15% rather than 10%.

Sounds good as well, but in my experience I have never missed out on a good player like that. In the situation where such small differences matter, I would always bid myself.

The problem lies in the fact that DoF's automatically offer X% sell on clause, without first trying to do it without.. especially if you have a lot of money there's really no reason to offer such a clause imo.

My idea was based on the fact that if the DoF can't get a deal agreed you will probably never hear about it unless it was a player you specifically asked them target, my preference is to allow the DoF to look for & sign players so a mix of both ideas would be perfect.