Why can I not score?

Had this posted in general discussion but I'll ask here as well.

I'm playing in the Belgian third division and cannot score for love nor money. Using a formation that worked in England's League 1 and 2 including getting a bang average team promoted with a +38 goal difference. Basically, I know it works for goals.

In this new save (and saves I've started with Villa, Parma and Burnley), I can't score a goal. For example, in 35 games as those teams I've managed 8 goals. I mean, that's almost funny isn't it?

Here's what's annoying:

My number 1 striker is the best in the league by a mile. Yet given a chance anywhere in the box, he'll miss.

A lot of the time, the keeper will suddenly turn into De Gea/Derren Brown and go soaring across to the corner to save it despite the shot coming from 6 yards out and screaming into the top corner.

Sometimes he'll hit the post from 6 yards out when it seems impossible. 

Sometimes he shanks it out for a throw. 

This is true for all teams I have used with strikers like Kodjia for Villa. And the keepers in the Belgian third league are dreadful. So how is this happening?

Before anyone asks... yes I'm creating lots of clear cut chances and lots of shots in good areas in the box. Quite a few are from within 10 yards completely unmarked and they still miss.

Then to add insult to injury, despite having 70% possession, 25 shots, 14 on target, I'll concede a 90th minute counter attack goal where their right footed winger with absolutely no left foot finds himself with two defenders on him in the box and somehow fires a left footed shot into the corner of the goal. Yet my 5 star striker can't hit a barn door with a banjo.

While I accept that in football, a dominant team will sometimes lose to a team that has 1 shot, I refuse to accept that this happens like I've described time and time again. How do I fix this please?

Archived