Losing the will to play- dropped from 2nd to 15th in 3 months, nothing works....

After a long hiatus, I've finally started playing FM again. I started a new career with Bristol Rovers in league 2 (this is an older game so they haven't been promoted yet), and it was going really well. Just before the Christmas period, I was battling with a few other teams for the top 3 places, the morale was high, I was dominating almost every game (2/3 goal difference, 55+ possession), and the youth was developing nicely.

However, after Christmas, I've lost almost every game. I can understand losing to the bigger teams, but even the teams in the relegation zone are smashing me. I'm still getting a lot of possession, but the defence is just leaking goal after goal. It feel like a completely different save. I've tried swtiching formations, playing more defensive tactics instead of the control style I was on, and rotating the team, but nothing is working.

----------

Does anybody have any ideas? I was always predicted to be in a relegation battle, so I didn't expect to win the league, but to drop from 2nd at Christmas to 15th by April is driving me mad. 

Yes, go easy on yourself.  It's classic overachievement, feel good that you've not only finish higher than expected but also forced stronger teams to adapt to you.

Edit: The only practical advice I can think of is that if you did start to open up and play more expansive as a result of your success, stop as soon as you notice the results start to turn against you and start playing to your team stature rather than your performance.

Your low prediction was due to the game perceiving you have a weak squad.  But as you starting performing better and then kept performing better, the opposition managers (around the christmas mark it seems in your case) decided it wasn't just a flash in the pan and started being more cautious.  And either something about the way you play or more likely the quality you have in your squad isn't cut out to break down stronger teams that are less likely to take risks.

Put it this way, at the beginning of the season you were expecting a relegation battle, if someone offered you those points to finish 15th at the start of the season you'd have relaxed and taken them.  You just happen to have accrued the points you needed to survive very very quickly, it's a good thing.

It's frustrating I know.  But rather than take it as a loss, try to think of it as a win above your original expectations then it's really not so bad.

9 hours ago, borivoje213 said:

Yes, go easy on yourself.  It's classic overachievement, feel good that you've not only finish higher than expected but also forced stronger teams to adapt to you.

Thanks for your advice. I hadn't even slightly thought about opposition managers changing their style against me to reflect my team's success.

Archived