Sports Interactive Community

Hi,

I recently got the new MacBook Pro 15" 2017 and put a fresh install of MacOS on it and updated Sierra to the latest version.

Everything else installed correctly but when I installed FM17 through steam a problem has arisen.

When it has finished installing, there is no shortcut on the desktop, in launchpad or in the dock. When I click play in the steam library FM17 starts ok, and I was even able to select 'keep in dock' on the icon that appears. However, when I close FM17 and then try to open it again through the dock shortcut/icon, nothing happens so it is obviously not working properly. 

Please help me as on my old MacBook Pro I could open FM through the dock, desktop shortcut or even launchpad I think. When I select add desktop shortcut  in steam, it says this isn't possible as there is already a desktop shortcut but this isn't true.

Many thanks for any advice

As you've mentioned, you should be able to launch the game through Steam by pressing 'Play' on the game in the Library list. 

The shortcuts and launchpad etc are handled by the Steam install process (not us), there isn't anything we can do about that specifically if the alias shortcuts it creates do not work.

My concern is that the game hasn't installed correctly as previously I had the different shortcut options to launch so it seems strange that they are not available now. 

You play it on a Mac don't you Lucas? Could you tell me what options you have available to launch the game? And what options there should be? Why do you think the dock icon isn't working?

Thanks for the quick reply too, it's appreciated

As I explained, the shortcuts are installed by the Steam client. The way they should work is by launching Steam, and then the game. If they don't (and I've known that to be the case), thats an issue with Steam, not the game. 

Regardless, you should be able to launch the game from within Steam via selecting 'Play' on the game in the Library List. Thanks.

Ok thanks. Does the problem usually sort itself out do you know? Also, where is the location of the game application on a Mac? Just so I can see if it has at least installed correctly? Thanks

If the game runs by pressing play in Steam, then it has installed correctly. You've already confirmed that? The issue you are seeing with the shortcuts is an issue with Steam itself; a future client update may fix the issue. Going to the files on disk won't resolve any issue you're seeing. You will have to launch the game through Steam.

The location where you've installed any game depends on where you've set your Steam library and set the game to install when you downloaded it.  Right click the game in Steam > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files  - This will tell you where the games files are.

Yes that is true, but I just thought there could be an issue there somewhere as previously there were no issues when I installed the game and used the shortcuts. Sorry if that seems over the top but I have just spent an awful lot of money on this machine as I like Macs in general, but FM not running as it previously did has obviously concerned me. I get your point about it being a steam issue though so thank you for your help

On 2017-6-16 at 10:03, kevez27 said:

Yes that is true, but I just thought there could be an issue there somewhere as previously there were no issues when I installed the game and used the shortcuts. Sorry if that seems over the top but I have just spent an awful lot of money on this machine as I like Macs in general, but FM not running as it previously did has obviously concerned me. I get your point about it being a steam issue though so thank you for your help

As I said it's a Steam issue. As the Steam client gets updated, it may well be a bug with the client. 

On 2017-6-16 at 17:17, kevez27 said:

Can you change where the game is installed on a Mac? I can't see it in my applications folder?

If you go to the game in Steam > Properties > Local Files, you can select Move Install Folder. 

As I've said, I recommend that you run the game through Steam by selecting it in the Library and pressing Play. If it's not in your Applications folder then that suggests you didn't select creating a shortcut on installing the game.