Media overhaul required...

Hardly revolutionary news bit I've just had three annoying news items in a row... 

1- "Richard Smallwood is celebrating his 275 appearance!" Oh yeah, the well known 'big 275' let's dust off the party hats... 

2- "Release Clause means Rotherham could lose Anderin - although nobody is interested in buying him." Fairly stupid to have a story about nobody being interested in one of your players, made extra stupid by the fact he's out for 10 months with ligament damage. Fairly certain nobody will be triggering that clause. 

3-"Rotherham recent form has seen some fans beginning to forget his sacking by Birmingham and back him to lead them to glory." I was sacked by Birmingham five years ago and since then have led Rotherham from League One to the Premier League and won manager of the year twice. But yeah this 5 game unbeaten run is really what's going to make them forget... 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, craigd84 said:

HAHA these are funny.

The media do need major work, whilst i LOVE the twitter bit it is weird when I read "Mauro Icardi wasn't THAT good" Yet he has just scored 5 and plays for YOUR team lol.

My favourite is when a player comes back from a broken leg or similar and one of your fans claims he 'just wanted some time off.' 

I love the one when you sign a new player and it asks something along the lines of "Do you think they can make a contribution to your team?". Uh, no. I bought them to be a failure and I have no faith in this player at all. This guy sucks, what was I thinking!

16 hours ago, OhhScottySinclair said:

That absolutely does my head in, Journalist demanding an answer on why you rested a 17 year old fringe player in the champions league group stage.

Or why I'm not playing a foreign player in a competition that is for domestic players only :s

21 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

Another classic is the pre match 'player x isn't in the team today, which is a surprise. What is your thinking?' 

Well he hasn't started the last four matches and we've won them all so... 

I hate this one the worst. Joke really.

The player has been sitting on the bench for the last two months as he is not in my plans atm, yet I have to lie to the press and say I am just resting him the whole time. The media and interaction system can cause psychological issues at how repetitive and silly it is

The media side of this game has been terrible ever since it was first introduced and, what really gets my goat is not dealing with them seems to effect your status within a club (I could be wrong as there has never been any official word from SI as to how this is effected).

8 hours ago, dking said:

The media side of this game has been terrible ever since it was first introduced and, what really gets my goat is not dealing with them seems to effect your status within a club (I could be wrong as there has never been any official word from SI as to how this is effected).

Terrible is an understatement. It is an area that since its inception a few years back, has not improved at all. Its become so repetitive its ridiculous. People will say leave it to the assistant. So what is the point of adding new features, but them hardly being used without becoming draining? SI needs to brush up on many areas of the game.

You're punished in game for having a poor media handling stat yet it's the really stale conferences that drive you to send the assistant anyway. I'm well aware that ress conferences are boring in real life but managers don't have the exact same questions posed with the exact same wording every week. The "feuds" and "war of words" rubbish do my head in too as every time I play a manager that I've supposedly fell out with the same line of questions re dredged up.

21 hours ago, dking said:

You can fail to get a job or even get sacked over a poor media handling rating so the notion of leaving it to your assistant if you do not like the way the feature is implemented is no longer viable for career save players.

13 hours ago, Preveza said:

Terrible is an understatement. It is an area that since its inception a few years back, has not improved at all. Its become so repetitive its ridiculous. People will say leave it to the assistant. So what is the point of adding new features, but them hardly being used without becoming draining? SI needs to brush up on many areas of the game.

This is why I'm fearful for the future of the social media feature & players interactions/happiness as they have been less than optimal on release.

Three version in & player interactions still feel a conversation between a pair of teenage boys (short answers, lacking nuance & too quick to anger) while media interactions just offer more question/answer sets without improvement in creating a believable narrative around events that happen in the gameworld.

SI are to be praised for trying these features but there needs to be a serious rethink in how they are implemented to have the interaction based features provide an interesting gameplay experience.

"Who do you think will win the league this season?"

"Chelsea"

"Antonio Conte has been optimistic about his team's chances of winning the league. How do you rate your chances now?"

"Since when was this about my chances? I'm Sunderland."

On 10/06/2017 at 05:31, qwerty22 said:

Or why I'm not playing a foreign player in a competition that is for domestic players only :s

On 10/06/2017 at 08:33, KingCanary said:

Another classic is the pre match 'player x isn't in the team today, which is a surprise. What is your thinking?' 

These are bugs, but they have not been logged in the bugs forums, and they haven't been seen in-house. It would really help this area of the game if people logged these contextually incorrect questions. We can't improve on this aspect of the game unless bugs are raised, so please log them as bugs when you see them.

3 minutes ago, Glenn Wakeford said:

These are bugs, but they have not been logged in the bugs forums, and they haven't been seen in-house. It would really help this area of the game if people logged these contextually incorrect questions. We can't improve on this aspect of the game unless bugs are raised, so please log them as bugs when you see them.

Will do Glenn. I also thought the one asking me about being worried about losing a player with a season ending injury might be a bug. 

Surprised the one about 'player x' being out of the team' as I get this one pretty often. 

2 hours ago, KingCanary said:

Will do Glenn. I also thought the one asking me about being worried about losing a player with a season ending injury might be a bug. 

Surprised the one about 'player x' being out of the team' as I get this one pretty often. 

Thanks. If you think a question is wrong or not considering something, please log it in the bugs forums - we'll always take a look at examples. There's a lot of code in FM, so things can go slightly wrong in very unique ways sometimes - if you have examples that reproduce from save games, we will always endeavour to sort these issues. What's frustrating for us is when people discuss many bugs, like in this thread, that have never been raised to us as issues!

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 08:33, KingCanary said:

Makes me laugh this one sometimes! Had a player (admittedly a first choice striker) injured for 6 weeks, so stuck him on the bench once he was back to full fitness (but lacking match sharpness and my other strikers were on fire) and the media were surprised I left him out. Erm..........

16 hours ago, mark1985 said:

Makes me laugh this one sometimes! Had a player (admittedly a first choice striker) injured for 6 weeks, so stuck him on the bench once he was back to full fitness (but lacking match sharpness and my other strikers were on fire) and the media were surprised I left him out. Erm..........

Aren't these ones questioned slightly differently though. I'm sure it says along the lines of "Player X isn't in the team today, is that due to his recent injury problems?"

3 hours ago, gunner86 said:

Aren't these ones questioned slightly differently though. I'm sure it says along the lines of "Player X isn't in the team today, is that due to his recent injury problems?"

I'm playing FM16 and off the top of my head, it just asks me why he wasn't selected. It's a pretty minor gripe over all though isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

I secured promotion with one game to go and in the pre-game press conference before the last game, journo asked

"What do you think your chances are of securing promotion to League One"

42 minutes ago, socceroos said:

I secured promotion with one game to go and in the pre-game press conference before the last game, journo asked

Hahaha :lol:

"Hey, you might do something stupid, like get a point deduction for some reason, that's why I have to ask you, will you behave yourself"?

2 hours ago, socceroos said:

Post this in the bugs forums. No point in having a laugh in this thread; we need these issues to be fixed for FM18. There are lots of questions and media stuff that are contextually wrong.

Just now, ilkork said:

Sure, but it gets funny after a while.
Thousands of mistakes...

And hey, I did my part.

I meant we need to all post them as bugs etc lol. Yeah most of them are hilarious. I mean, every week I get same questions about other teams in my league. I get that managers get these questions, but every week??? Beyond repetitive.

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 08:27, Barside said:

You can fail to get a job or even get sacked over a poor media handling rating so the notion of leaving it to your assistant if you do not like the way the feature is implemented is no longer viable for career save players.

I've never seen anyone get sacked for this. Got an example?

I never do press conferences, so I only answer questions that are randomly thrown at me. (Much like in real life really.)
The one that annoys me is when someone is interested in one of my players that I don't want to sell, and my only options is either to say something like "I have a lot of time for manager X, but player is not for sale". Or "I am not selling player, and least of all to manager X".

Most of the time the actual answer I would like to give is "I am not selling the player, and the manager in question has absolutely nothing to do with it. Seriously, I hadn't even heard his name before you brought it up, why the hell should it have any impact on me selling my best player?"

Or the always classic "Manager has blablabla, do you see the feud between you as over?" My honest answer "You have asked this question the last 15 times I have met this coach, and the answer is the same as the last 14. I didn't even know we had a feud before you brought it up. I am on the other hand starting to have a feud with you, because you are really annoying."

Just had a tycoon take over my club, gave me £90million to spend on transfers, more than doubled the wage budget to £2 million a week. My next press conference there's no mention of this instead I'm asked about 18th placed Roma sacking their manager and if so and so has made the right choice putting some player I know nothing about on the transfer list. Surely the press would be asking my opinion of the changes at my own club, what do I plan on doing with the money or things like that.

It does need an overhaul.

I was 4th in the Premier League, 5 games in hand (thanks World Club Cup) and the media were going on about me being under pressure for not leading the table. Chill out, I have FIVE games in hand, and I'm within touching distance of 1st. Seriously. =/

Then there's this gem; this was my run of fixtures that was particularly nasty:

Newcastle United (away) Won 2-1

Manchester City (Away) Drew 1-1

Napoli (away_) Won 2-1

Chelsea (home) Drew 1-1

Liverpool (Away) lose 2-4

Sparta Praha (home) won 5-1

Sunderland (away) Won 2-1

Red Bull (Away, dead rubber game) lose 2-3

The media were harassing me throughout that week on how 'poor' my form was and how I was under serious pressure. It was so pathetic that when the Sunderland match came about, they were saying I needed to win to relieve the pressure. Erm. No? That's SIX away games out of eight, with one being a dead rubber game and I lost one. Furthermore, they're top teams: City, Chelsea and Liverpool. And Newcastle (always overrated in the game) were troublesome and annoying. 

If that's a run of bad form, I dread to think what they'd call losing them all.

For what its worth, that was in November. We ended up winning the league by a country mile, cos games in hand meant we could pretty much chill throughout. But oh no, the media had to cry foul, which affected team talks (I could tell the players to stuff the media and prove them wrong), but it bothered me the most because players were starting to think the club was underperforming etc, when they absolutely weren't, because.... games in hand. =/

Frustrating! 

Let's be honest - it needed an overhaul when it was first introduced. But instead of making it better they added more items without making the handling of it any better. 

I just ignore the press conferences and any media items as that part of the game is extremely boring. 

I wish they would just phase it out. Media items could be picked up from team meetings, transfer gossip and other things without directly affecting anything else. 

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Let's be honest - it needed an overhaul when it was first introduced. But instead of making it better they added more items without making the handling of it any better. 

I just ignore the press conferences and any media items as that part of the game is extremely boring. 

I wish they would just phase it out. Media items could be picked up from team meetings, transfer gossip and other things without directly affecting anything else. 

Yeah I do agree. I don't agree that it should get phased out however. Is a huge part of the game, and needs serious improvements.

I agree that press conferences are part of a Football Managers career - however, it's a game. It's like that film BIG - where Tom Hanks questions the fun in playing with a building.

Let's be honest - as a game - it should concentrate on the matters of running a football team - not managing media - it's not Football Media Manager!

There still isn't an option to attend training drills, or have 5 aside games between long spells to keep fitness up (I know you can arrange a friendly). 

Instead - we get more and more media handling to deal with - and nothing to do with running a football club. 

I don't know why more club related duties aren't added. 

For instance - and not the same for everything

https://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2014/dec/16/day-in-the-life-bournemouth-manager-eddie-howe

Recovery times when matches are played on Wednesday evening - with a game coming up on Saturday! 

Review footage of training - give feedback to players (1 passing - great! 2 tackling - terrible! 3 shooting - impressive! etc)

Tactics board with the opposing players for the next match - staff could give indications if a player is up to being the opposite number etc. For instance, Man Utd might have a pacy winger, but you've put in 3 centre backs without much pace - and that would be alerted on the tactics board

Stats to influence tweaks to your tactics (like 525 crosses in the last season) might make you want to put a tall defender on the pitch

There's loads of things that can be added to the game to make it more like a football manager game - rather than a questions and answer circus with the press.

Archived