struggling with spurs

so I'm managing tottenham and trying to create the best tactic i can according to the players' attributes, regardless of how they play IRL.

started with 4-1-2-3-1, switched to 4-2-3-1 which allowed us to score some goals but conceded even more, and now i'm playing 4-4-1-1, which I thought  would be balanced.

either way, the team is performing poorly in the league.

can you please help me to spot the problems in my tactic cause I'm about to cry out of frustration. this version of manager is so mean. FM 15 was so much easier.

Dembele has the PI of get further forward, and Lamela has More risky Passes and cut inside with ball.

thanks.

Untitled5.png

What is wrong specifically with this tactic?  Are you conceding? If so is there a particular way its typically happening?

It looks like your asking a lot of your front two, given roles that asks them to both create and score, trying risky things often.  Then your on a quite attacking mentality (control) so which expects even a CM-S to be quite attacking nevermind the attack duties.  Then your structured which will have less players involved in transitions, so players will get forward later once in the attacking phase but have your AM+ST already tried to force a shot by then?

Defensively both LB + RB will get forward, you've told the CM to get forward to so only the CM-D is covering the CBs.  That's a lot of space for 3 players to cover so i'm guessing you concede to counter attacks?

I don't score or create chances, concede to counter attacks and through balls even when I drop the D line, it's like Toby and Jan can't cover to save their lives.

at least we scored sometimes when I played 4-2-3-1 but teams who sit deep and counter destroyed us.

maybe I should change back to 4-1-2-2-1? Kane was so isolated I could hear him cry for help through the screen.

so many options dammit. I play with the spurs each year, no transfer budget allowed but this time I just can't nail it.

2 hours ago, markus_aurelius said:

I don't score or create chances, concede to counter attacks and through balls even when I drop the D line, it's like Toby and Jan can't cover to save their lives.

at least we scored sometimes when I played 4-2-3-1 but teams who sit deep and counter destroyed us.

maybe I should change back to 4-1-2-2-1? Kane was so isolated I could hear him cry for help through the screen.

so many options dammit. I play with the spurs each year, no transfer budget allowed but this time I just can't nail it.

Your expecting them to cover too much space regardless of d-line.  Both fullbacks are bombing forward with high risk (control mentality + attack duty) so both flanks need covering, plus space behind them and only the CM-D to shield them.  The WP-S and WM-A aren't going to be interested in covering for the fullbacks either.

I can't comment on if those other tactics are theoretically any better since we've not seen them.  Chopping and changing won't help you learn how FM works, you might stumble across a combination that works but will you know why it works?

I'd would:

1. Go with simpler roles for your ST + AM.  Keep Kane central in goal scoring positions occupying defenders and let others create.  Let Deli be more selective with his runs/passes, give other players time to get forward or allow him to recycle possession rather than taking risks so often without many options.
  2. Flexible team shape.  If you aren't sure about team shape just go with flexbile, its minor compared to roles/duties or team mentality.
  3. Make your RB a support duty.  He will still get forward but will only do so when its less risky than when he was attack duty.
  4. Lose the PI's on your CM-S.

19 hours ago, markus_aurelius said:

so I'm managing tottenham and trying to create the best tactic i can according to the players' attributes, regardless of how they play IRL.

started with 4-1-2-3-1, switched to 4-2-3-1 which allowed us to score some goals but conceded even more, and now i'm playing 4-4-1-1, which I thought  would be balanced.

either way, the team is performing poorly in the league.

can you please help me to spot the problems in my tactic cause I'm about to cry out of frustration. this version of manager is so mean. FM 15 was so much easier.

Dembele has the PI of get further forward, and Lamela has More risky Passes and cut inside with ball.

thanks.

Untitled5.png

I played a very similar setup  (trying to replicate the Gerrard-Torres and Mascherano-Alonso partnerships) and was experiencing some of the same problems as you.

You can have some brilliant movement with the WBa behind the WPMs and a runner from the CM-position (players overlaping on both sides of the WPM). The get further forward PI can upset the balance in midfield so you may want to consider dropping the PI. If you still feel you're lacking movement from deep, try changing to a BBM... To get an even more balanced tactic try changing your FBa to a WBs or even a FBs. The fullback will still get forward supporting your WMa.

I would also consider changing team shape to flexible to get more players involved in transitions.

I would advise you to drop play out of defence when playing control as your defenders will have pretty short passing instructions on this mentality. Further shortening can leave them with very limited passing options. This can lead to loss of possession...

13 hours ago, markus_aurelius said:

what do you mean by simpler roles? poacher and attacking midfielder? should I change Alli's role to support?

and thank you. 

Roles that don't ask the player to try so many risky things (dribbling, through balls, etc) so they can be more selective rather than trying them so often.  Even if a player has attributes to play a complete forward role, that doesn't mean you should have him trying to do all those things so often, sometimes allowing a player to be more selective when they try a risky move works better.

Pretty much any role that isn't a Complete Forward.  I would prefer Kane as a DLF compared to Poacher or AF if you want him on attack duty so he waits more often for support rather than driving forward (Kane won't really dribble past / out sprint opponents).  Alli as AM-S is a logical thing to try if your forward is on attack duty.

I'd potentially remove the PI "Cut Inside" from your WM-A, let him go wide/inside as he see's fit, it could help create room inside.  I'd also move the CM-D to MCL to cover the WB-A and play simple balls to the WP-S.  The FB-S + CM-S (with no PI) should be enough cover for the right flank.

I would expect in the attacking phase to see the DLF-A occupying the CB's, AM-S, CM-S and WP-S working around the box, with the CM+AM making runs past the ST occasionally.  The WB-A and WM-A providing width on each flank whilst the CM-D + FB-S keep some depth.  If the WM-A comes inside and its relatively safe the FB-S may get forward and provide width (especially if he has PPMs to do that).  Thats the theory anyway, hopefully is plays out that way and works :brock:

16 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

Just a question @summatsupeer, do you think a DLF-A could work as good as a DLF-S with a SS?

You would need to look at the wider tactic rather than just the combination of the two.  The SS is a risk taker who is very forward thinking being attack duty and told to get forward often, dribble more and try risky passes often.  You need to make sure players around him are able to support such forward thinking so he doesn't get isolated or isolate them.

well, I've made some adjustments, most notably playing Ericksen behind Kane,  and I think we are playing better now.  although we just lost 2-1 at home to Man United who uses the same 4-4-1-1, and that is painful.   

I also made another 2 tactics to give us some flexibility. hopefully they are all solid enough. 

Untitled7.png

Untitled6.png

Untitled9.png

Archived