[FM17] Africa Extended (release)

Africa Extended.

The premise behind this update is to provide a properly playable and competitive African continent. Whilst there are many available downloads where African leagues are made playable, one of the biggest downside from a realism point of view is that most of the league details, and the team rosters, etc. are not at all up-to-date in the database. This is not terribly surprising since Africa does not really feature in FM, so there is no real need to properly have the correct rosters and teams in each league except those that are playable, and for teams that are active in the first season in the African continental competitions. I personally find this to be one huge area which has never been properly exploited by the editing database (there was an effort to do this a few years back that never really came to fruition).

The aim of this project is therefore not just to provide active leagues in Africa, but to ensure that team details, managers, and rosters are as current as is possible. This not only will allow you to play a decent save within Africa, but make it as real as possible. To that end, I have spent a significant amount of time updating the database. This is going to be an ongoing project which I intend to update as frequently as possible (I do not have as much time to do this kind of thing as I used to have when I was younger). Ultimately I want to have all the major leagues in Africa playable, and maintain the database to keep it current. I plan to release an initial version with 5 playable nations in the near future, after some more significant testing to ensure that everything functions well. 

I will spend some words to describe how changes have been made, what sources have been used, and how players are generated. This kind of transparency should help people understand that although I aim for realism, the lack of significant detail on players makes this not entirely possible. It also demonstrates that I am happy to accept other credible sources of player information, and corrections for things I may have missed (I will create a thread in the Editor's Hideaway discussion forum aimed at this upon the first release of the database). 

Sources and Player Generation.

As mentioned above, sources for many competitions, particularly up-to-date player rosters are difficult to find. The main sources I have been using currently are footballdatabase.eu, and transfermarkt.de. I do not know really how often these are updated (they seem to be kept pretty current). Information on current league teams comes from soccerway.com. Rules for individual leagues, where possible, are taken from official documents from the relevant national football association. Where this is not available (or in a language I cannot read), I have used other sources mentioned above, plus wikipedia, to get the main details needed (start dates, transfer windows, foreign player rules, sorting rules, correct dates for cup rounds, etc.). This information is not always going to be correct, and if you have a good source for a particular league, please let me know. The one liberty I have taken is with reserve divisions, where I have mostly included under 21s and under 18s, just to add a bit of depth. I have also tried to keep finances balanced by adding TV money, which may not be always accurate. The financial balancing long term is something I am still analysing, so keep in mind for early releases it may not be perfect. Letting me know any oddities you find would be very useful.

Players have been added only when I can find their birth date. Without this information, I feel that there is no difference between a correctly named player of random age, and a FM generated player. This means often there are many players who may be missing from the sources given above. When generating a player, I have also decided not to let FM fix the CA and PA itself entirely. I did this because if you leave everything as 0, there is little control over the ability of a player, and I am assuming that if a player is good enough for the first team they are going to be around as good as the players around them in the squad. To this end I use a random number generator to generate CA and PA values for all new players. The CA random numbers are bounded by the current best and worst player in the squad already in the FM database. This ensures players are of the correct ability for their team (no super players much better than the rest, and no terrible players who will just be sold). This, of course, adds a random element to squads, but the average CA should not change massively using this method. For the PA, I use bounds of -5 (or -4 for poorer quality teams) and -7. These values were chosen by comparison to the values currently in the database, whilst not fixing all values so there will be some variability if you replay the database. This method provides the best method for creating players. Since I know little about the player other than position, I do not set any of their attributes, these will be distributed from the CA by FM. I hope this has adequately explained the methodology used here. 

It is also important to notice that there are often spelling differences between sources I use and the FM database. This can lead to missing players in the database, leading to duplicates, which can be hard to avoid. Also, every database update will make chances of duplicates more likely, so use the most up to date database to start a game. Letting me know any duplicates you find would be very useful (There will be a thread for this kind of thing upon release).

Current Status.

• Moroccan leagues have been updated with correct teams for 2016-2017 season
  • All Moroccan teams in the top division have up-to-date rosters, kits, and stadiums.
  • Moroccan leagues and cups created and playable.
  • Algerian leagues have been updated with correct teams for the 2016-2017 season.
  • All Algerian teams in top division have up-to-date rosters, kits, and stadiums.
  • Algerian leagues and cups created and playable
  • Tunisian leagues have been updated with correct teams for the 2016-2017 season.
  • All Tunisian teams in top division have up-to-date rosters, kits, and stadiums.
  • Tunisian leagues and cups created and playable.
  • Egyptian leagues have been updated with correct teams for the 2016-2017 season.
  • All Egyptian teams in top division have up-to-date rosters, kits, and stadiums.
  • Egyptian leagues and cups created and playable.
  • Ghanaian leagues have been updated with correct teams for the 2017 season.
  • All Ghanaian teams in top division have up-to-date rosters, kits, and stadiums.
  • Ghanaian leagues and cups created and playable

This set of changes are currently undergoing testing to ensure stability of the database, correct implementation of leagues, and financial stability.

• 13 clubs created
  • 14 competitions created
  • 43 stadiums created
  • 1672 players added to database.

Release Details.

Download file from the link below. Put the file in C:\Users\[your name]\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017\editor data\. When you run football manager select the file Africa Extended v2. This contains all the leagues within the same file.

Download link. https://tinyurl.com/y7b22wbu

Questions.

What other countries do you intend to include?

I intend to add most of the top African countries, especially those with teams regularly performing well in the African Champion's League. There is no fixed list for this yet.

Will you add country X for me?

I am happy to take requests, but I do not put timescales on them. It is a lot of work to do this kind of thing (and quite dull), so it takes time. 

Can I help?

The best way to help me would be to find errors in the changes I have made so far. Wrong teams, duplicate players, mistakes in competition rules, strange financial things. Also, if you find or know decent sources for particular leagues or teams, I am happy to receive them.

Edited by sporadicsmiles

8 minutes ago, van helmut said:

Bensebaini is not free (RENNES)

Thank you, I shall change it. The Algerian file is likely the most out of date, since it was finalised before even the January window. I also did not search for every player where they play (yet, although it would be a mammoth job that). 

There are some players at first look that are free.... but in reality not...

Okacha HAMZAOUI (Nacional)

Mourad BATNA (fus Rabat on loan to Emirates)

Khaled LEMMOUChia should be retired

etc

And some players with a loan but in the editor are free (instead to be in their team)

I have corrected all these ( for my game) if you wanna your files mod .... I send it to you

22 hours ago, van helmut said:

There are some players at first look that are free.... but in reality not...

Okacha HAMZAOUI (Nacional)

Mourad BATNA (fus Rabat on loan to Emirates)

Khaled LEMMOUChia should be retired

etc

And some players with a loan but in the editor are free (instead to be in their team)

I have corrected all these ( for my game) if you wanna your files mod .... I send it to you

That would be excellent, I would be happy to include your changes! The more realism, the better. It is often hard to find proper loan information, and I did not check players who may have moved abroad. Thanks for the help =)

• 1 month later...

Are you planning to add the African continental cups (for clubs and nations)? As far as I can see on Wikipedia there are lots of cups, some being continental , others being regional or even pan-Arabic.

Examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_of_African_Football#CAF_Competitions

It would be great to be able to win the national league, cup and super cup, followed by the African CL, The Arabic Champions League, the regional FA cup and the World Club Cup. ;)  

• 2 months later...
On 07/08/2017 at 19:27, Jorgen said:

Are you planning to add the African continental cups (for clubs and nations)? As far as I can see on Wikipedia there are lots of cups, some being continental , others being regional or even pan-Arabic.

Examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation_of_African_Football#CAF_Competitions

It would be great to be able to win the national league, cup and super cup, followed by the African CL, The Arabic Champions League, the regional FA cup and the World Club Cup. ;)  

Ultimately, I plan to expand this to include the Arabian peninsular anyway, since it shares a lot with North Africa. However right now I simply do not have the time to dedicate to the project. I have just moved countries and started a new job, so everything is very busy. I hope to be able to get back into it later in the year and provide some updates for FM18. 

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
В 22.04.2020 в 15:14, marco8624 сказал:

Buongiorno mi interesserebbe avere questo database ma i dadi che non è più disponibile potreste ricaricarlo? Grazie

В 19.06.2017 в 15:46, van helmut сказал:

Edited by DDA