AI Manager Impact

TimmsSports

For me, FM needs to do a better job of how the AI manager impacts their team. This includes both tactical, training and off-the-field matters.

Let's look at Jose Mourinho and David Moyes at Man Utd. One of the most famous managers in the world, Mourinho's players love playing for him (for the most part). In real life, it is clear that this has enabled Man Utd to attract superior talent that before they hired Mourinho.  Moyes managed to attract Fellaini, Mourinho managed Pogba, Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan in his first Summer at the club. In game, if you put Moyes back in charge of Utd, the calibre of players Man Utd are able to attract does not change dramatically at all.

Another example, Pep Guardiola. His teams look to dominate possession of the ball with short passing and a high press. One key role in Pep's system, the single pivot who must be composed and technically able. In FM, Pep doesn't look to sign any such players, not does he attempt to develop any player into this role. When he moved to Bayern in real life, he made a concerted effort to try and find his perfect single pivot, trying Lahm, Hojberg and Thiago. At Liverpool, Klopp demands work rate and aggression from his players. Adam Lallana is a player who has grown into this role, running his socks off and is happy to get stuck in. Perhaps in FM, as a new manager looks to get his side playing a certain style of play, certain players will adapt to this style better than others which will be reflected in their attributes. Lallana's work rate, aggression and bravery has improved considerably since Klopp took over.

Another example could be a manager looking to new tactic after a poor run of form. (Conte at Chelsea).

There could even be news items about such stories. 'Mourinho Attracts Big Talent to Utd', 'Guardiola's search for his deep-lying playmaker continues!' 'Lallana grows into new role under Klopp!'

This would make a save immersive on a completely different level. Imagine the evolving world of rival managers, represented in FM.

For me, FM fails to implement the importance and effect a manager has on his team. Thoughts?

Almost all of the team in EPL using 4-2-3-1 based formation for years. In one of my save 16 of 20 teams using that formation in 1 year.And next year after that 17 teams using that formation. It just like there are no other formation in this world. It just seem that the AI manager lacks of creativity

I think it is better if there are evolution of tactical approach in football, the more willing to experiment from manager in their formation.  

Great OP. I have been saying this for years. The AI managers need to become much much smarter. Lots of teams feel like they play the same. EVERY defensive set piece setup from any team in the WORLD is the same. This simply is not good enough for a game meant to be a simulation of football. These areas of the game need to be worked on come FM18. No excuses. Every manager in the game 'feels' the same. From press conferences, to 'behind the scene' team talks, tactics etc. This needs a change. I suppose it is part of the below average AI squad management;

For example, a manager with a 16 and above level of motivation will give very effective team talks in the game; 

If I see the AI setting up the exact same way for every corner in FM18, I will be beyond disappointed.

On 04/06/2017 at 06:08, saintrainhard said:

Almost all of the team in EPL using 4-2-3-1 based formation for years. In one of my save 16 of 20 teams using that formation in 1 year.And next year after that 17 teams using that formation. It just like there are no other formation in this world. It just seem that the AI manager lacks of creativity

I think it is better if there are evolution of tactical approach in football, the more willing to experiment from manager in their formation.  

It's not the base formation that is the issue for me, its more just a distinct lack of variety on styles of play. You shouldn't really be abe to dominate the ball against managers like Guardiola.

On 04/06/2017 at 11:35, Preveza said:

Great OP. I have been saying this for years. The AI managers need to become much much smarter. Lots of teams feel like they play the same. EVERY defensive set piece setup from any team in the WORLD is the same. This simply is not good enough for a game meant to be a simulation of football. These areas of the game need to be worked on come FM18. No excuses. Every manager in the game 'feels' the same. From press conferences, to 'behind the scene' team talks, tactics etc. This needs a change. I suppose it is part of the below average AI squad management;

For example, a manager with a 16 and above level of motivation will give very effective team talks in the game; 

If I see the AI setting up the exact same way for every corner in FM18, I will be beyond disappointed.

Great idea! I have never seen an AI manager change up set pieces at all.

It should actually matter who the opposition manager is, I'm not sure it does at the moment. You should be able to gain a substantial advantage by knowing who the opposition manager is and how his team plays.

On 05/06/2017 at 14:42, jonnysullivan88 said:

Really like this idea! Definitely needs to be more involvement and interactive from the AI managers 

Also rivalries between AI Mangers would be an improvement 

Yes AI rivalries would also be fantastic! All these ideas would bring the game world to life.

• 5 months later...

Archived