Franky's PASS & MOVE Tactic for FM 17 (17.3.1) Totally plug & play!!..... RESURRECTED!!!

I HAD REMOVED THIS TACTIC PREVIOUSLY BUT NOW FEEL IT'S READY TO ROLL AGAIN :)

The tactic is based upon my HUSTLER tactic. The main differences being that there is less wing play and more slick passing in the final third to create goal scoring opportunities. It is also completely plug and play, whereas HUSTLER requires you to make changes according to match situation so PASS & MOVE is for the lazy players out there :)

FORMATION

PASS_MOVE_formation.jpg

PLAYERS REQUIRED (same as my HUSTLER tactic)

Wing Backs – These guys will get forward to provide the wide option and also to stretch the defence that helps create space for the attackers through the middle. Decent crossing ability is a must. High stamina and work rate will also increase their effectiveness.

PPM to set (in order of importance)......... 1) gets forward whenever possible......... 2) hugs line.

Training focus - crossing.

Centre Backs - There's a regular centre back in both DCR and DCL positions. One should be quick so he can recover in case an attacker breaks the offside trap.

PPM to set......... 1) runs with ball rarely......... 2) plays short simple passes (if passing ability is poor).

NOTE: The default setting is 'Central Defender' but you need to change that to 'Ball Playing Defender' for any centre back who is better in that role. It's okay two have two BPD's if need be.

CM – Sits in front of the back four and sweeps up a lot the opposition clearances, thus putting out fires before they start. His ability to win the ball in the middle of the park allows the the front 3 plus both BBMs and wing backs to operate in a highly attacking manner. Also offers a passing option as he's always unmarked. When it's played to him, he's on the lookout to play it forward and get the attack going again. Needs to have a reasonably high work rate as he'll be doing a lot of closing down so a hard working player with decent passing/vision like Schneiderlin would be perfect.

PPM to set......... 1) stays back at all times........ 2) tries first time shots.

Training focus - 'passing' if less than 13, otherwise 'long shots'.

NOTE: You can also use a ball winning midfielder or central midfielder if your centre mid has less than 8/10 in the green 'role suitability' circle. However, only make the switch if he's at least 2/10 better in the other role. If used as a BWM, when he picks up a booking, switch him back to the default CM role and set him to 'ease off tackles'.

Box to Box Midfielder x 2 (right and left) - They play a triple role. Firstly providing defensive cover on the flank in front of their wing back, ensuring the opposition's wide man doesn't get an easy ride. Secondly, getting forward to score and assist and thirdly, making decoy runs to take a defender out of the game, thus freeing up space for a team mate. Will work relentlessly to help the team win the ball back so a high work rate is very important. From an attacking perspective, they'll be getting into goalscoring positions so good finishing and composure will also be helpful. Decent long shot ability for your BBM on the right will net your team many bonus goals throughout the course of a season.

PPM to set......... 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) gets forward whenever possible. If long shot attribute of 13+ then 'shoots from distance' and 'shoots with power' then 'tries first time shots'.

Training focus - finishing or composure, whichever is less.

NOTE: The better long shooter of the two BBMs should be on the RIGHT as set-pieces are designed to create long shot opportunities for him. If long shooting is fairly similar then the one with the best finishing/composure on the right as he will have more goalscoring opportunities. Again, if your BBMs have less than 8/10 in the green 'role suitability' circle, you can use them as BWMs or CMs if they are at least 2/10 better in either of those roles. Just make sure to retain the 'get further forward' player instruction.

Shadow Striker – Will support the strikers and get on the end of attacking plays so needs decent finishing and composure. Will also help if he has good passing and vision as he'll then play lots of through balls for the CF.

Training focus - finishing, composure or 'off the ball', whichever is less.

PPM to set for fast player........ 1) gets into opposition area...... 2) plays one-twos.

NOTE: If your SS has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle then you can use him as an Enganche or Attacking Midfielder (attack) if he is at least 2/10 better in either of those roles.

Deep Lying Forward – Playing a dual role of creating chances for others and scoring himself, he must be a creative striker. Creativity (passing and vision) will mean many chances created for others. He'll be sitting fairly deep and will look to play in primarily his strike partner but also the Shadow Striker. This is a key feature of the tactic so if he lacks creativity, you'll be missing out big time.

PPM to set......... 1) if good passing and vision then 'tries killer balls often'...... 2) comes deep to get ball.

Training focus - passing.

NOTE: If your DLF has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle for the DLF role, you can use him as a False 9 or Complete Forward-support if he is at least 2/10 better in that role.

Complete Forward - The main goalscorer of the team. Aside from decent finishing, composure and 'off the ball' ability required for all strikers, must be quick as he'll be played through on goal by those behind him and his pace will allow him to get free of his marker.

Training focus - finishing, composure or 'off the ball', whichever is less.

PPM to set......... 1) likes to try to beat offside trap...... 2) knocks ball past opponent (if he is quick)........ 3) places shots........ 4) plays one-twos

NOTE: If your CF has less than 8/10 in the green suitability circle, you can use him as an Advanced Forward, Trequartista, Poacher, or DLF-attack (in that order of priority) if he is at least 2/10 better in any of those roles.

TACTIC USAGE

PASS & MOVE is completely plug and play, meaning you don't make any changes other than remove the 'tackle harder' player instruction from a player as soon as he gets booked in order to minimize the chances of a second yellow. Front three are set to this by default. The only time you ever need to make any other change is detailed below..........

IMPORTANT: When you are ahead, there are a few teams that will stick three strikers up front in the STC, STCL and STCR positions. You'll be extremely vulnerable from attacking throw-ins when this happens as you'll be outnumbered on the counter. To safeguard against this, you need to change your set piece instructions by setting BOTH wing backs to stay back at throw-ins.

OPPOSITION INSTRUCTIONS, TEAM TALKS AND GENERAL TRAINING

Personally, I don't use any opposition instructions and leave team talks and general training to the assistant manager as I'm a minimalist kinda guy :) If you feel like you should lumber yourself with these duties, then you're obviously not as lazy as I am :D

MOULDING THE PLAYERS TO FIT THE TACTIC (VERY IMPORTANT)

The tactic is permanently set to ATTACKING mentality so your players will be itching to shoot at every opportunity but if they don't have decent long shot or finishing ability then they will be extremely wasteful, possibly rendering the tactic ineffective. Therefore, the following 3 pieces of advice are absolutely vital and will dictate how effective the tactic is for your team.........

1) Every player that has less than 13 (in the top division) for long shots should be trained to 'refrain from taking long shots'. For the strikers and AMC, this is a priority as they're most prone to wasting good passing opportunities by taking ridiculous shots from distance....... this PPM will help to minimize that.

2) ALL players with a finishing attribute of less than 12 (in the top division) should be trained to 'looks for pass rather than attempting to score'. Again, this is in order to minimize the amount of wasted efforts on goal. They will still take shots at goal but only from decent scoring opportunities.

3) For each division down, lower the number by 1 but only to a minimum of 10 for both long shots and finishing so..........

PREMIER LEAGUE - every player that has less than 12 for long shots (except CF, DLF and SS, see note below) and 12 for finishing.

CHAMPIONSHIP - 12 for long shots and 11 for finishing.

LEAGUE ONE - 11 for long shots and 10 for finishing.

LEAGUE TWO AND BELOW - 10 for long shots and 10 for finishing.

NOTE: The three attackers (CF, DLF and SS) will regularly receive the ball in advanced positions with no passing option ahead of them and due to the team's attacking mentality, they will instinctively want to shoot on sight so for them, the long shot rule must be stricter by 10% or 2/20. Their long shot filters are...... PL - less than 14, CH - less than 14, L1 - less than 13, L2 and below - less than 12. 

Very important: 'Refrains from taking long shots' and 'looks for pass rather than attempting to score' should be the very first PPMs you train all players that fall within the above mentioned filters with the exception of wing backs, who's first priority should be 'gets forward whenever possible', irrespective of their long shot/finishing ability.

ACHIEVING DEFENSIVE SOLIDITY (VERY IMPORTANT)

You have three attackers up top, defensively helping out very little in your own half. They stay high up the pitch majority of the time so your team is able to hit the opposition on the counter, which means you will score bucket loads of goals and that's why HUSTLER is so effective. While that's all good and well from an attacking perspective, it can leave you defensively short of numbers and with many other tactics adopting a one up top approach with nine outfield players helping out defensively, HUSTLER only has seven, thus putting a lot of physical stress on five of the seven. That's your three midfielders and both wing backs. The centre backs hold their position for obvious reasons but the three mids and both wbs have to compensate for the lack of defensive bodies by running around like madmen, marking/tackling and closing opponents down to minimize the amount of space they have to exploit, thus limiting the chances they can create. For this reason it's absolutely imperative that these five players are workhorses and also defensively sound. Even one of these guys not having the correct attributes can destabilize the tactic defensively and mean your team will leak goals. For this reason, make sure to adhere to the following rule that applies to both BBMs, CM and both WBs..........

All five MUST have an absolute minimum of 13 (in the top division) for 'work rate' and a combined minimum of 22 for marking/tackling. There are other attributes that come into play but these three are the ones you need to make sure are not compromised.

Apply the following filters for the relevant divisions..........

PREMIER LEAGUE - work rate - minimum 13.......................... marking/tackling - minimum combined total of 22

CHAMPIONSHIP - work rate - minimum 13............................ marking/tackling - minimum combined total of 21

LEAGUE ONE - work rate - minimum 12................................. marking/tackling - minimum combined total of 20

LEAGUE TWO AND BELOW - work rate - minimum 12......... marking/tackling - minimum combined total of 19

Please note: The above mentioned numbers are the absolute minimum requirements. The higher the numbers, the more effective the player(s) will be at helping your team achieve defensive solidity and as already mentioned, even one of the five players not fulfilling the above criteria can mean the tactic will become like a pack of cards that collapses due to one card falling out of place.

Also, I haven't just picked the above numbers at random, rather it's down to experience. I had a perfectly functioning team where the five relevant players fulfilled the minimum requirements, then replaced two of them with players who were overall superior but fell below the minimum requirements for just marking and tackling....... we started conceding goals like there's no tomorrow and it became a case of trying to outscore the opposition with defensive solidity flushed down the toilet!!...... it's really not what you want and to avoid it happening to your team, make sure your 5 players fulfill the minimum requirements for marking, tackling and work rate.

FURTHER INFORMATION/ADVICE

Leave ALL set-piece takers to the AI. It usually makes the best decision.

As soon as a player picks up a booking, manually remove his 'tackle harder' player instruction in order to lower the risk of a second yellow. Front 3 are set to this by default.

For your best free-kick takers, set their PPM to 'tries long range free kicks' as the default setting is to float the ball into the box, even when there's a clear scoring opportunity with a direct shot. Once this PPM is acquired, they won't waste such opportunities.

Any player with a 'passing' and 'vision' combined total of 28+ in the top division, set his PPM to 'tries killer balls often' and 'tries long range passes'. Once acquired, these guys will more often look to play the ball over the top for one of the attackers to run onto.

If you get a red card, remove one of the strikers and resit the other one directly in front of the SS. Also, lower the team mentality to 'contain' if the priority is to avoid conceding. 

This is optional but will help. If your best long shooter has 'shoots from distance' as one of his PPMs, set him to 'lurk outside area' from attacking corners so just switch him with the BBM (right) who is in that position by default.

FINAL WORD

The tactic is pretty much complete, although your feedback could help tweak it further........ thanks as always.

Franky's PASS & MOVE Tactic v1.1b for FM 17 (17.3.1) plug & play!!_6E5C30A2-6871-4C99-86F2-0ABC58B48AA4.fmf

The tactic held up again in Vanarama National. Predicted relegation and have made the playoffs and have the chance to retain the FA Trophy.

Even almost beat Hull in the FA Cup. I dominated the game and hit the woodwork several times, before they nicked an 84th minute winner having been totally outplayed :)

• 3 weeks later...

Was in a mid-season slump with my Novara side in Serie A so I changed to this tactic and in the first 3 games have defeated Inter, Juve and Sassuolo all 2-0.  The game vs Sassuolo saw my team make 709 passes - have never seen that many passes in a game before.  Liking the tactic so far.

Hi Franky,

I'm at cross purposes with your tactics. I've started the Marauder set thinking that they are the most up to date ones but now see a Hustler one from last January being brought forward. Which is the latest tactic please?

Also, I've asked about a 4-3-3 narrow tactic before I saw it posted so please ignore that post. I think I'll also have a go using the narrow 4-3-3 set. Many thanks.

18 minutes ago, Finknottle said:

Hi Franky,

I'm at cross purposes with your tactics. I've started the Marauder set thinking that they are the most up to date ones but now see a Hustler one from last January being brought forward. Which is the latest tactic please?

Also, I've asked about a 4-3-3 narrow tactic before I saw it posted so please ignore that post. I think I'll also have a go using the narrow 4-3-3 set. Many thanks.

The MARAUDER tactic requires wing backs, whereas HUSTLER makes do with regular full backs. If you can get hold of wing backs that have at least 7/10 suitability for the role then I suggest you go with MARAUDER. Whatever you do though, use the following opposition instructions..... STC/STCR/STCL, AMR/AML, MR/ML, WBR/WBL - close down - always.

Also, whenever the opposition play with a DMC (or two DMCs), make sure to remove the 'exploit the middle' team instruction, otherwise you'll keep running into a brick wall.

3 hours ago, Roger said:

Was in a mid-season slump with my Novara side in Serie A so I changed to this tactic and in the first 3 games have defeated Inter, Juve and Sassuolo all 2-0.  The game vs Sassuolo saw my team make 709 passes - have never seen that many passes in a game before.  Liking the tactic so far.

Yup, lots of one touch passing and moving in the final third, which is what the tactic is all about.

2 hours ago, Franky. said:

The MARAUDER tactic requires wing backs, whereas HUSTLER makes do with regular full backs. If you can get hold of wing backs that have at least 7/10 suitability for the role then I suggest you go with MARAUDER. Whatever you do though, use the following opposition instructions..... STC/STCR/STCL, AMR/AML, MR/ML, WBR/WBL - close down - always.

Also, whenever the opposition play with a DMC (or two DMCs), make sure to remove the 'exploit the middle' team instruction, otherwise you'll keep running into a brick wall.

I'm sorry Franky but I seem to have not been very clear. With the Hustler v3 Standard and the Pass and Move tactics which is deemed to be the default tactic. You say that when pre match favourite at home or neutral pitch or odds on favourite away - use the default tactic. All other matches use the Hustler v3 Standard tactic.

I'm assuming that the Pass and Move tactic is the default one but I'm betting that I've got it all wrong. AGAIN!!!

5 hours ago, Finknottle said:

I'm sorry Franky but I seem to have not been very clear. With the Hustler v3 Standard and the Pass and Move tactics which is deemed to be the default tactic. You say that when pre match favourite at home or neutral pitch or odds on favourite away - use the default tactic. All other matches use the Hustler v3 Standard tactic.

I'm assuming that the Pass and Move tactic is the default one but I'm betting that I've got it all wrong. AGAIN!!!

No , i think he said that :

1) With Hustler v3 ,you start the default (which is attacking) when pre match favourite at home , otherwise you select shorter passing and when you ''see'' the opponent uses an attacking formation you change the wing backs roles from attack to support , he removed the standard version

2)the pass and move tactic is only plug and play (it already has shorter passing and wing backs on support)

Personally I find the MARAUDER COUNTER the most stable of all

Archived