Forcing Play.

That defense is going to be leakier than the Mary Rose. You may outscore the opposition though.

Forcing the opposition inside relies on you having a player to force them inside with. You won't have any because your defenders will be shadowing your attackers. Think Alberto Moreno on both flanks. If you come up against a good counter attacking opponent then you'll be in real trouble.

Naturally your defence is leaking goals from the flanks, you just told the flanks to focus on attacking, and you play with a pushed up defensive line.  To make things worse, if they lose the ball while you try and work ball into box, you have left them the whole country to explore down the flanks. In fact your left  flank doesn't even believe in defending, everyone's attitude there is..."We have 2 defenders and a dm right? It's their job to defend, the rest of us .....Banzai, Into the breach we go...!!!!"

-  Change cm to a support duty, pick some support duties, decide who can do it with the right attributes,  watch a video or two on the internet or read about how others set up solid 4231s. 

I have done a 4231 video, its just one way of playing it, not suggesting you use the same settings, nor am I even hinting that its a good tactic, but I do try to make it defensively solid and still give attacking threat. There are so many variations of the 4231 that you don't even really need attacking duties in the final third...they will attack automatically...cos they are staring at a keeper who is shaking in his pants. So use the duties wisely to get players back to support your defence. At the moment you have more holes in your defence than Swiss cheese.

The only way you could make it worse, is if you told the FBs to go complete CWB(A)

The wings combinations do make sense and I think i'll adjust them to see how I'll fair.Now the reason why I set the central midfielder to attack what I read in a site called Football Manager guide 2017,He argues that the midfield needs to perform 4 tasks protecting the defence,win back possession,linking play and creating chances. Won't the cm with a support be less of a menace going forward, since this is a defensive triangle?

Depends how you want to look like on the ball, if you want to be a 4-2-3-1 then maybe you can give a more aggressive role to one of your CMs. The problem is that both fullbacks are going forward and are aggressive so you need to make sure there's enough cover for them. Two CBs and DM looking to do that, but is it enough?

Just now, nightwalker22 said:

Depends how you want to look like on the ball, if you want to be a 4-2-3-1 then maybe you can give a more aggressive role to one of your CMs. The problem is that both fullbacks are going forward and are aggressive so you need to make sure there's enough cover for them. Two CBs and DM looking to do that, but is it enough?

Take a look at this clip there is this manager is coaching little kids he insists on just having one holding midfielder and two defenders.

3 hours ago, kasebang said:

Take a look at this clip there is this manager is coaching little kids he insists on just having one holding midfielder and two defenders.

Its no wonder he's been coaching in countries like the UAE.

@Rashidi "In fact your left  flank doesn't even believe in defending": I think it resembles Bielsa's Atl Bilbao right side, with Iraola, De Marcos and Susaeta all pushing up. And, since I'm looking to try and replicate Bielsa's tactic that year, I was just curious, could it work?

It could but you need really good mentals at the back...when you play such a system you need to be absolutely good at spotting when things change. I have played 4231's with attacking wingbacks, but I always make sure I have at least 3 world class players staying back. And the two in the middle, they have to have the right kind of mentals to cover every blade of grass. The desire for most sides to day to switch to  4231 is understandable, its all about overloads, but at the risk of leaving yourself vulnerable, and the only way you can avoid that is by having superb mentals, and I don't mean 13-15, I am talking about 15 and higher.

The challenge with playing double attacking flanks is that you need to have players who can win the ball if it goes over the top, which I tell you will happen. And any system that plays with AMs or even a 424, or a 442 could rout you if your defenders are less than superb.

@FMWolf And don't forget with his Bilbao side of 2012, if I remember right, didnt use a 4231, his system looked like a 3313, or even a 523, at most he had 2 central mids. Artenetxe and Iraola reminded me of midfield shuttlers, they would drop as deep as wingbacks and support the 2 in midfield, with Martinez,  San Jose and Gurpegi forming a 3, and he had a MC in I can't remember his name now and Herrera as the AM, two wide players and 1 striker.

So it looked like a 3313 or a 523 in defence. The fact is he didn't use  out and out fullback attack patterns Artenetxe and Iraola from what I remember were expected to support the defensive group, which is why I recall people talking about his system as a 523. I am sure you can find a lot of written stuff about it.

People who insist that 4231s work with all out attacking patterns played on pushed up defensive lines or who advise others to do this, obviously play with superb teams. Give that to any average side and you will be exploited, esp if you are playing a Human vs Human match or against a half decent AI playing a 442.  

@Rashidi Yeah, he definitely also used the 3-4-3/5-2-3. But also the 4-3-3 (to be honest, I think this more of a 4-3-3 formation), basically this shape:

athletic-line-up-2404122.jpg

But I can see what you say, you'd definitely need some very good players to cover all the space left vacant by such an attacking side, even with Autenexte being more cautious than Iraola with his runs. And they also had that problem in real life, where their flanks were easly exploited, so I guess in FM it would be no different

Archived