Creating a Dutch/Ajax system

I'd  like to start by saying that I am by no means new to football manager. I had been playing it since CM93. However there has been a break for me and I am not particularly useful with the TC. 

I know there are a lot of knowledgable tacticians on this forum and I'm asking them for their help. I want to create a 433 system that plays reminiscent of Dutch/Ajax teams.

The key ideas of the teams play are as below:-

high pressure when the opposition is in possession. 

Everyone pressures the ball including the centre forward. If a winger goes wide to harass, the centre forward will move a little deeper and wider to provide some cover and a passing option if the winger wins the ball.

high pressing from the back line. Offside trap is usually used.

be careful that the centrebacks don't press up while the fullbacks lag back. This creates a space/"an inverted U" in which the opposition can play the ball onside behind the defense. 

Zonal system - rigid positioning in attack and defense

Players will not cut across each other. A player who moves a few metres to create a passing opportunity will be praised. A player who chases a ball 40 metres will be kicked off the team. 

This does mean the centre forward needs to participate in the build of phase of the attacking third of the field (read: plays with back to goal). Because of the formation rigidity, the physical exertion of players is directly linked to the position played. Wingers need the most stamina.

Good ball circulation - Short & Long passes with as much direct play as possible

There is not a lot of running around. Instead "players should be playing football" , ie passing and positioning. 

It is important that there are many passing options in attack. i.e. There should be passing triangles. Two of the forwards(wingers) stay wide to make full use of the field. The Centre forward will play with his back to goal in the build up of the attack to enable another passing option.

stretching the field play - attacking down both flanks or through the middle

Part of the philosophy is that in attack there is full use of the field. There is no preference which flank the ball goes down. Wingers tend to stay out wide and make penetrating runs and then cross the ball in. The idea behind this is to spread the opposition's defense. 

In defense the high pressure and pressing contracts the field of play making it diffcult for the opposition to circulate the ball.

Now, I don't have a full grasp on how to go about doing this, so everyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Southern Buddie

17 hours ago, Rakatics said:

I think it isn't really helpful to just post a link to another thread where a system is described which is a bit different than what the topicstarter was talking about, especially the formation and playing roles will differ in a 433 vs 343

My guesses

high pressure when the opposition is in possession. Everyone pressures the ball including the centre forward. If a winger goes wide to harass, the centre forward will move a little deeper and wider to provide some cover and a passing option if the winger wins the ball.

Close down much more PI for wingers, attackers, AMC, supporting midfield players.

Move into channels PI for Striker

high pressing from the back line. Offside trap is usually used.

Offside Trap TI.

Higher Line TI

be careful that the centrebacks don't press up while the fullbacks lag back. This creates a space/"an inverted U" in which the opposition can play the ball onside behind the defense. 

CB Hold Position PI

Zonal system - rigid positioning in attack and defense

Close Down Much Less TI. Close down Less PI for defenders and DLP.

Players will not cut across each other. A player who moves a few metres to create a passing opportunity will be praised. A player who chases a ball 40 metres will be kicked off the team.

Do not 'Pass into Space'

This does mean the centre forward needs to participate in the build of phase of the attacking third of the field (read: plays with back to goal). Because of the formation rigidity, the physical exertion of players is directly linked to the position played. Wingers need the most stamina.

-

Good ball circulation - Short & Long passes with as much direct play as possible

Mixed Passes TI.

Be more expressive TI

There is not a lot of running around. Instead "players should be playing football" , ie passing and positioning. 

Dribble Less TI

It is important that there are many passing options in attack. i.e. There should be passing triangles. Two of the forwards(wingers) stay wide to make full use of the field. The Centre forward will play with his back to goal in the build up of the attack to enable another passing option.

Cf = False9

Move into channels TI's

Wingers - Stay Wide when in possession PI

stretching the field play - attacking down both flanks or through the middle

Wingers will stay wide because of 'Stay Wide when in possession PI'

Balanced or Fairly Narrow TI to play in the middle

Part of the philosophy is that in attack there is full use of the field. There is no preference which flank the ball goes down. Wingers tend to stay out wide and make penetrating runs and then cross the ball in. The idea behind this is to spread the opposition's defense. 

Wide Width TI. Wingers have Attack duties.

In defense the high pressure and pressing contracts the field of play making it diffcult for the opposition to circulate the ball.

Close down much more PI for wingers, attackers, AMC, supporting midfield players.

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, Southern Buddie said:

Bump

After nine months the bump should be gone, should it not?

Joking aside, the Ajax 433 is one of the most discussed on the forums. Instead of relying on the impaired forum search facility, cut and paste this into the Google search bar:

ajax 433 site:community.sigames.com

Settle down for hours of reading. And notwithstanding Mr VV Bal op de Lat's rather dismissive post above, do read that linked thread, if you haven't already done so. You'll find that, not only did arise directly from experience with an Ajax-like 433, it also links to Ozil's experience with the 433 itself, which he employed with Ajax, Barca and others. It's one of the most instructive threads on the forum. A bit of scrolling through this sub-forum will also bring up a long thread about the 4123, and several others. Since May last year, I'm surprised you haven't been there, done this, and got the t-shirt!

Archived