Tactics Help Request

I've been playing my Spurs save for a few seasons, and things have generally gone well (largely due to things I've learned from reading other threads around here). However, my reputation seems to have reached a point where most teams will just sit back all game, and I'm having trouble creating decent chances. 

The 4123 approach I use relies on the WBs overlapping the IFs, with the DLF hopefully providing some space for the IFs to move into. The CMs provide runs from deep, with the DLP starting moves and recycling possession. Most of these things still happen, but they don't seem to work as well as they used to. PIs: WBs - Stay Wider, More Risky Passes; BBM - Get Forward; CM - Roam, More Risky Passes; IFs - Sit Narrower; DLF - Move into Channels, Roam.

The .pkm from my last game does have two goals, which has not really been typical of my recent performances. The play, however, has been what I've been seeing. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Tottenham Hotspur_  Overview.png

Tottenham v Nottm Forest 0, 194_fm.pkm

3 hours ago, ExiledRogue said:

Most of these things still happen, but they don't seem to work as well as they used to.

So what isn't working? In other words, what are your issues?

You're saying most teams are willing to sit back and defend against you, so this means they will be in their own half and compact. This means you will need to create space in front of their defense by playing in slower pace and by players being deeper. So you could try to drop tempo one or two notches and be more patient to draw your opponent out. 

You could also, for example, try Eriksen as a Advanced Playmaker (support). He will drop deeper and dictate play more instead of being a real scoring outlet, he's not scoring much at the moment anyways but will try to set things up for others when being a playmaker. 

Also, you already have a lot of runners at the moment with the IF's, BBM, CM (A), and the WB's. This means there won't be a lot of space around the box as everyone is trying to make runs into it. You could, for example, try switching the two WB's into FB's. They will be a bit more conservative and won't make the same amount of runs as the WB's, but this helps with recycling possession. If you would the take the role change for Eriksen, I would go for a FB (A) on the left and a FB (S) on the right. This way you will have enough players making runs around your playmaker. 

I think you have many players looking to exploit space and only one creating it (DLF). Also the CM on Attack duty might get in IF's way and vice-versa. Who is going to create in your team? The DLP will probably be a little too deep to come across with an unlocking pass. Maybe Alli? Try to use width more to stretch the opponent. Try to use more deep players in the build-up to make sure they are not operating in a congested area with many bodies.

High tempo will not help. You want to have fast transitions, but how are you going to do that if your opponent is not willing to attack you in decent numbers?

That's what I am thinking.

Thats quite similar to my current tactic, but I think you've gone a bit mad with the instructions, especially the PIs.

You've got 6 players making Forward Runs Often...  thats more than half your team focused on getting behind the opposition.  Who is left to play a simple recycling pass to or to pull opposition players out to create space for runners.  Are your WB's really the best players to play risky passes often when you have a DLP and BPD?  Couldn't they feed them the ball and keep things a bit simpler?   Your flanks will be wide open with all these players getting forward, especially your right side with the WB-S, IF-A and CM-A.  Get some depth and variation in there, its very extreme and one dimensional imo.

Roam from position I think is over used because its mis-understood, it's not a "find space" instruction, its just letting them move further from there position than normal to create overloads in other areas of the field.  Having no players in an area, doesn't create space for other players as the defenders in that area don't have anything do to so can track runners rather than having to make a decision on who to mark.  I think a DLF-S will create more space for others staying in his area and trying to get the CB's to step up to engage him.

Finally, for me my CM-A is a great creator and scorer in my time with no instructions.  He often plays through one of the front 3 or gets played through himself. I'm not sure he needs to roam, especially when the BBM will do that.  I really like the MCR/AMCR positions he takes up to either play a through ball or make a run, i'm not sure roaming will get him into more threatening positions.  With a IF-A on the same flank I think they will be trying make runs into the same areas though, I use a Winger-Attack who holds opponents FB's wider to create space for the CM-A.

Archived