Counter/Attacking Tactic Help

The style I want to create is a attacking/counter style, whereby we remain tight at the back but apply a little pressure, not stand off completely, and then when we win the ball back I want my one midfielder and my 3 man attack to work with fluidity, speed and creativity. I am managing Sporting Lisbon and chose this style because it most suits the players at the club. I am struggling to put my ideas into the tactics creator. I have read a lot about tactics, but I have no faith what I have created will match my desired style.

Tactic:

5920522c75a0a_ScreenShot2017-05-20at15_26_10.thumb.png.b22c0a94708b5299f93ef0635716f7e2.png5920522e0f67f_ScreenShot2017-05-20at15_26_26.thumb.png.68170e5947943b0e324bd54405e5abbd.png

There are a few problems I notice, but I am unsure how to resolve them:

Firstly, Bas Dost can only play Poacher really, he is not a very developed striker yet he is by far the best at the club. I don't feel like playing wingers around a poacher will help, as he is the only real goalscoring option and it's always good to have more. Also, a poacher doesn't very well compliment counter attacking systems, I'd rather my striker track back and help defend or at least put pressure on opposition defenders. He lacks to ability to do this. My first idea was to have the wingers as Inside Forwards, but I think this will compromise my system as it relies on my wingers tracking back and helping defend. I am unsure what to do here.

Secondly, I was unsure whether to play on attack or counter. I feel that on attack my players will be more inclined to put a bit more pressure on the ball and play with a bit more creativity and ambition. I feel that counter would be playing it too safe. I am okay with playing with risk as we are one of the better teams in the league.

Thirdly, in terms of team instructions (this links with the first point), I was unsure whether to use early crosses. I feel that if I am using a poacher this could be effective as he will always be up top ready for delivery, he is gifted in finishing and heading, and so maybe this could work. However, I think that only having one option for attack is dangerous.

Thanks in advance, any help will be appreciated.

3 hours ago, avfcmatthew said:

Firstly, Bas Dost can only play Poacher really, he is not a very developed striker yet he is by far the best at the club. I don't feel like playing wingers around a poacher will help, as he is the only real goalscoring option and it's always good to have more. Also, a poacher doesn't very well compliment counter attacking systems, I'd rather my striker track back and help defend or at least put pressure on opposition defenders. He lacks to ability to do this. My first idea was to have the wingers as Inside Forwards, but I think this will compromise my system as it relies on my wingers tracking back and helping defend. I am unsure what to do here.

Why would a IF defend less than a Winger?  The position and duty will decide there positioning, then its really down to the players attributes how well they defend (besides closing down instructions).

Consider moving Bas Dost wide as he can play a IF/RMD and allow you to play a supportive forward.

Secondly, I was unsure whether to play on attack or counter. I feel that on attack my players will be more inclined to put a bit more pressure on the ball and play with a bit more creativity and ambition. I feel that counter would be playing it too safe. I am okay with playing with risk as we are one of the better teams in the league.

Use the mentality required, they're all valid, none of them create a style, thats mostly down to your roles+duties, complimented by the other settings (if needed).

Thirdly, in terms of team instructions (this links with the first point), I was unsure whether to use early crosses. I feel that if I am using a poacher this could be effective as he will always be up top ready for delivery, he is gifted in finishing and heading, and so maybe this could work. However, I think that only having one option for attack is dangerous.

I'd use it selectively, if you see situations you want your wide players to cross but they do something else, then do it.  If there isn't situations where it would be the good option then might not want to force it.

Personally I don't like playmaker roles in CM spots in 4123 DM Wides when playing a vertical style.  A playmaker will look to collect the ball, drifting deeper, but I want them to use the AMC space behind my ST.  I'd rather have a AML/AMR be a AP-A or use a playmaker in DMC.  You have a BPD so a playmaker in DMC might not be needed.

Archived