Help with my AC Milan

I made a topic a few days ago on General Discussions about how the new FM just became a lot harder to me, mainly because now I order to be successful at it I have account for things that I always overlooked in previous editions. Also while playing in Serie A I have to watch out for most of my opponents that will play with a lot of players on defence, which has made my actual time at Football Manager not the most cheerful I ever had. I got some replies saying that I should post my current tactic so I can have some advice on what's going wrong.

Formation and Roles (I also use Attacking/Structured and Attacking/Fluid sometimes)

20170510214642_1.thumb.jpg.3ce46ee14b53d7fcc44b9fe9664ab0b4.jpg

Team Instructions

20170510214657_1.thumb.jpg.3a6f509c4644b50105b7c57db5ca672d.jpg

Keeper, Centre Backs, Full Backs (each pair with the same instructions)

20170510215248_1.thumb.jpg.2d14d6e6169b056868ecbdd0b63c161e.jpg20170510215250_1.thumb.jpg.4aee45e17310298a612d38e990600d6e.jpg20170510215250_2.thumb.jpg.8d4e8e0d6d28b7e0bd033b381164f32a.jpg

Midfield Trio

20170510215254_1.thumb.jpg.bb577b99acc1a3381d79f4391f99402a.jpg20170510215256_1.thumb.jpg.34071c9f7818233e8f07dcfd3298659a.jpg20170510215257_1.thumb.jpg.b93d7f56cfb01b13176e21f7825ba4df.jpg

Attacking Trio

20170510215258_1.thumb.jpg.b0a224a5ff8c4300656abd6580fcbea9.jpg20170510215259_1.thumb.jpg.2a760a39a20e3a14aaee20ab84fd0a80.jpg

20170510215301_1.thumb.jpg.f9cb654a48ea7364c7e5a49dde21a315.jpg

I will also post some of my results that showcase the problems I having here

More shoots in the game, but pretty few on target

20170510220937_1.thumb.jpg.d1cbd8817e6eddd5696a5b0428d64ae7.jpg20170510220959_1.thumb.jpg.4cb2bc8189e33b03f6aee7e0e2d782d3.jpg20170510221009_1.thumb.jpg.9a30c3449daa767dc0b258685687895f.jpg20170510221020_1.thumb.jpg.ae1185e1c98eb42c16e3e3d9b53f8cc3.jpg

Got dominated in these, really lucky that I got a point from Torino, while Juve gave me no chance at my own turf and even Empoli got the upper hand against me there.20170510221038_1.thumb.jpg.70ce431c089a1bbdfbce6b2c37cd0860.jpg20170510221027_1.thumb.jpg.eb6a96e75e4670df914c3ed0d4d8cde1.jpg20170510220948_1.thumb.jpg.3b42fef9757b0bd3a4547135f5215230.jpg

All this when also trying to break formations like 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs, 3-2-3-2 and even a 3-4-2-1 with 2 DMs and 2 CMs from Bologna (always hated those guys!), while also dealing with some really bad luck (late penalties conceded, late penalties missed (damn you Carlos Bacca!), shots at the woodwork when looking for a result(Berlolacci has done it in the final minutes at 2 separate matches)) and the fact that I can't make my inside forwards perform (Alejandro Gomez and Bonnaventura have been hideous, Deulofeu has been alright as my winger but when shifted to inside forward he too doesn't perform).

I have been testing some alterations to roles and instructions on Fm Touch and this is the best I came up with, and as you guys can see, it's not very good.

Appreciate any help

Your central midfield is a bit static neither your AP or CM are going to drive at the defence which could be leaving your AF isolated.

Try changing your AP to attack and upping mentality to standard.

I would suggest:

Left-back: FB (or even WB) Attack

MCR: CM Attack

Mentality: Counter

With so many TIs and PIs it's hard to understand what works and what doesn't. A particular instruction may be perfect against a certain team/opponent/tactic, and suicidal against others... I would keep it simple and make the necessary changes during matches.

I would probably change your CM (S) to a BBM (S) and give the LB an attacking duty. Normally it works better using a support duty for your lone-forward as this player will drop a bit deeper to help set up attacks. Will also make it easier for midfielder to connect to him. Won't mean he wont score any goals, you could easily go for a complete forward (S) who does bits of everything really but is mainly a goal scoring role. 

With a defensive mentality, your defense will have more very direct passing and your forwards very short passing. As you've chosen to use the PI pass shorter on different roles. As you already are using a lower risk mentality and team shape, I wouldn't be inclined to restrict my players anymore as they will already be very defensive minded. 

There's supposed to be several ways to skin that cat, so you will get varying opinions on this (some of the following have been voiced). Away against Fiorentina should be reasonably tough first season, they're on the better home sides in Serie A in real football (and should have a good squad in general). Losing to those or dropping points away at Torino is no shame. Apart of that, you seem to have identified it the issue and are asking the right questions. My base recipe largely has been the same for stretching those defensive teams.

- General: Utilize the fully width of the pitch. Stretch it rather than making defenders covering a comparably small area
- General: Have one full back who consistently provides penetrating runs (wb/s, a or fb/a). As you have an IF anyway who cuts inside, on that side it seems ideal. That way play won't be channeled as much through the middle
- Specific to this: Untick "work ball into box". It reduces crosses. I'd personally much rather have players trying to unsettle massed defenses with any weapons available. Might be worthwile to check what type of forward/defense you're up against and tweak. Low crosses= no aerial advantage, float crosses vice versa etc.
- Specific to this: In this formation, put that lone forward on a support duty so he won't be as simply marked out of the game against deep defenses and always rush ahead so the play is channeled his way
- Good point by sirgorgio about all the player instructions, best to keep it simple and work from there, the roles already have instructions (it's easy to fall into the trap of tweaking every single player to his attributes, however, just because everybody is decent in taking long shots / dribbles doesn't mean encouraging all to do so would lead to coherent attacking play necessarily).

When taking the lead, AI may push up and it can get a bit easier to find space for better shots. The key is finding that opening goal though/taking the lead. Down the save this will become some easier with the better key attacking players you have. If you watch, guys like Hazard etc. completely like 6 dribbles per match on average plus alone. You're Milan, no less but also no more.

Thanks for the help guys. Right now I don't have time to play FM but I do have 2 more questions:

- I thought about changing my Inside Forward to attack and the winger to support, so basically switching their duties, as I would like my inside forward to be a goalscoring threat that rivals the main striker. What role/duty could work the best for my striker, to make sure he provides the proper support to the IF, but also without forgetting his goalscoring duties? I was thinking either a DLP(A) or a CF(S), but I'm not sure that either will work.

- Regarding centre midfielders, is there any difference between a Advanced Playmaker role (either support or attack) or a CM role (support or attack) that is given player instructions to behave like a playmaker (shoot less often, risky passes and all that) ? Because the tactical creator allows me to have a CM(S) that can have the same player instructions as a advanced playmaker, so I'm just wandering on how differently they will play and if there is any advantage/disadvantage on them.

I used a DF(S) as striker with hold up ball and move into channels PI when using a 4-4-3. DLF(S) makes him a pass 1st striker while CF has run with ball which make him lose the ball often if your team is not quick enough to support him.

AP attracts the ball. Your team will always look for him when passing the ball.

11 hours ago, Canalma said:

Thanks for the help guys. Right now I don't have time to play FM but I do have 2 more questions:

- I thought about changing my Inside Forward to attack and the winger to support, so basically switching their duties, as I would like my inside forward to be a goalscoring threat that rivals the main striker. What role/duty could work the best for my striker, to make sure he provides the proper support to the IF, but also without forgetting his goalscoring duties? I was thinking either a DLP(A) or a CF(S), but I'm not sure that either will work.

- Regarding centre midfielders, is there any difference between a Advanced Playmaker role (either support or attack) or a CM role (support or attack) that is given player instructions to behave like a playmaker (shoot less often, risky passes and all that) ? Because the tactical creator allows me to have a CM(S) that can have the same player instructions as a advanced playmaker, so I'm just wandering on how differently they will play and if there is any advantage/disadvantage on them.

You will need a striker who will create space for your IF! So probably a supporting role; CS (S), F9 (S), DLF (S) depending on your set-up

A playmaker will look to receive the ball as often as possible and your team will look for him as well. So the PI's might be the same, but the effect he has on the team and his movement will be different.

If there Is one thing I've learnt about the current FM is That pre-determined instructions and especially formations aren't always the way to go. I had 4 seasons with AC Milan at the start of the game It was clear I didn't have the players to play the defensive ways most seria sides adopt, so I went attacking. My 4-5-1 with one CAM and two CM's, one of my cm's was a BWM which worked tremendously I bought Gudelj from Ajax to play that role with the very able Kucka for back-up. Both wingers attacking whether they were inside forwards or just normal wingers and both full backs attacking at all times, It worked wonders I finished 2nd and went on to have a great save.

You have to close down more In this league sure I got a lot of bookings with this instruction especially my BWM but to penetrate these stubborn defences you've got to see as much ball as possible. I prevented short GK distribution and had either roam from poitions or run at defence usually both at the same times. They were my only 3/4 instructions and the only individual player instruction I had was shoot less often for my BWM If his long shots were poor (for some reason the player In this role In my formation always had around 10 long shots a game)  I'd add shoot less often that was It.

Archived