Good players who were rubbish is real life

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Farnerud is still good in FM08, his ability is around 140ish i believe.

Maxim Tsigasko anyone? :D

He was amazing wasn't he, bagged heaps of goals! So cheap as well, providing you had no work permit issues. I can't remember what CM version that was but he was (work permit permitting) my first signing.

Never heard a peep about him in real life though.

On FM08 there's Rolando Bianchi and Valeri Bojinov at Man. City. Class on the game, poop in real life.

Rolando Bianchi didn't seem to settle into English football but you can hardly say he was bad. And how on earth can you judge Valeri Bojinov when he's not played a game for City yet due to injury? Mark Hughes actually said how much he was looking forward to having Valeri play as he though he looked a very promising playing.

Neil Lennon :D

They were the best midfielders in the game in really old versions of CM.

Hun **** off

girogios samaras was unstoppable on my game.

As Above

Yeah, I never understood that, Lennon was as crap as a player gets IRL.

**** off

Robbie Keane in CM 3?

**** the man u

A couple of players I can think of are slightly opposite to this. Gaz McCleary and Sam Wood (in FM08 at Bromley) were utter crap in the game (when I bought Wood to Gillingham, he was rubbish and I loan-listed him), but have since made it into the FL and are first teamers at their clubs (McCleary at Notts Forest, Wood at Brentford).

you are right he did, but after dynamo kiev he didn't do much

he got old and retired soon after that. The way he explained it - Lobanovsky (DK coach at that time) refused to sell him and because there was a conflict between them, sent Leonenko to reserves. Eventually he left to play for a smaller club but that time his talent was wasted, he degenerated too much and was too old to get back to his previous form, so he just retired.

There was a young left winger at Derby County around about the same time that Tom Huddlestone was there... can't remember his name... but he was always absolutely awesome with assists coming left, right and centre but IRL he has never so much as made a blip on the map.

tonton mokouko?? am/fc from derby i think

plus the whole hacken crew from fm05 i think - dulee johnson, freddie lagymyr and i think there was a keeper - but they got kallstrom right:)

Christoffer Kalqvist?

Something like that.

A couple of players I can think of are slightly opposite to this. Gaz McCleary and Sam Wood (in FM08 at Bromley) were utter crap in the game (when I bought Wood to Gillingham, he was rubbish and I loan-listed him), but have since made it into the FL and are first teamers at their clubs (McCleary at Notts Forest, Wood at Brentford).

McCleary is quality, and will make it a long way once he gets used to Championship football.

Andrew Mainwaring was a must-buy in CM 01/02, I think. Made the transition to any level with ease, scoring prolifically along the way. My heart went out of my fantastic Stockport career when he broke his leg and it was clear he'd never be the same. Last sighted playing for Bridged IRL...

Jason Young was my crack striker during those happy days at Stranraer, in a later game I took him to Santa Clara in Portugal and made a Scottish international of him. Legend. In real life it seems he suffered a serious injury, wound up playing for Penicuik Athletic (exactly) and his now retired and sporting an impressive pot belly. What a waste...

Adu never lived up to the hype and isn't even all that good in the game now.

I think its a wee bit early to be making judgments on a 19 yr old player, I just thinks he needs a stable club and a manager who can bring out the obvious tallent in him.

Daniel Braaten was virtually unstoppable in CM03/04. He played in 2nd Norwegian league and you could bring him wherever and he would be the best player in the world. Had acceleration, pace, technique and dribbling 20. A one man show. Used to go through defenders. He was later to become not a bad player, but certainly not as good as in CM.

Got to agree Braaten was unstoppable in that game, irl what did he do, he signed for Bolton!

There was a young left winger at Derby County around about the same time that Tom Huddlestone was there... can't remember his name... but he was always absolutely awesome with assists coming left, right and centre but IRL he has never so much as made a blip on the map.

Are you talking about Lionel Morgan? He was brilliant for me one on one version, I think it was FM05. He go injured and retired very young though. Shame

Serge Makofo

Julian Hornuss

Fernando Cavenaghi

Good Managers who are rubbish in real life?

Stuart Pearce- was manager of England, Juve and now Italy manager

and is doing brilliantly with the england under 21s and assisting fabio capello with england in his, still very young managerial carreer

what about these CM legends:

Alessio Cerci

and to a lesser extend Tsigalko (the striker not the GK)

Ahhhhh these were the days :)

io vote for Maxim Tsgialko and a brasilian goalkeep, i don't remember the name.. maybe Pininho? something like it..

but..

Alessio Cerci is not rubbish :D

he was the best player in italian serie B last year, now he is on loan to atalanta from rome but now he's injuried

look this.. that's only one video.. you can find more.. http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=GWBN1HL3eX0

he's a good player, i think he will play for Rome from next year..

ah, i'm not an atalanta, pisa or rome fan. my opinion is neutral :D

I nominate the entire Spurs squad.

Had to laugh

What, Scottish player of the year and being linked with £10m moves to the premiership?

I thought Carlos Cuellar was player of the year.

Also If Rangers cant get £10M for Hutton or Cuellar and Hearts cant gte £10M for Gordon, what says Celtic will get £10M for McGiedy. In the last old firm game, Steve Davis and Kirk Broadfoot took the absoultle mikey out of him in the last old firm game.

Cuellar won the football writers award, McGeady the player's player and player's young player of the year awards.

I'm really not getting into an argument about how good he is, and he's one of these guys a lot of people just don't like (including plenty of Cetic fans), but it's just nonsense to say he's rubbish in real life, plenty of people obviously very highly rate him.

Cuellar won the football writers award, McGeady the player's player and player's young player of the year awards.

I'm really not getting into an argument about how good he is, and he's one of these guys a lot of people just don't like (including plenty of Cetic fans), but it's just nonsense to say he's rubbish in real life, plenty of people obviously very highly rate him.

he is not rubbish by any means, but he is incredibly over-rated in real life.

I think its a wee bit early to be making judgments on a 19 yr old player, I just thinks he needs a stable club and a manager who can bring out the obvious tallent in him.

True, but considering he was hyped from the age of 14 (??) it's safe to say we expected him to have shown at least a little of the galactico quality that was touted by now. It's five years down the line and he failed to impress in Portugal, so the signs aren't great.

Nope, Lennon was one of the worst players i've ever had the misfortune to watch live, an absolutely dreadful player.

agree with this, couldn't stand his permanately negative play. always went back the way, never played the ball forward

are you mad? McGeady is brilliant, and has the potential to be the best player scotland has produced in god knows how long.

yeah but to be fair that is not much of an achievement. Scotland produces ok players not world class players. McGeady is still far to inconsistent, he would never make it in england or spain etc. This is just my opinion though I am sure loads of people would disagree.

Archived