Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cruyffsheirs

Mario Mandzukic's Role At Juve

I've been watching Juventus in recent months and loving their play, In particular, I've loved Madzukic's new role on the left wing. I've been wondering how to best recreate his role.

Instead of the 352 they have become famous for, this has been Juve's 11 lately. 

juve4231.jpg

I have been using Mario in 2 different roles so far and haven't had the effect I've wanted yet.

5903ec8b1092f_ScreenShot2017-04-28at10_26_23PM.thumb.png.7790b4c869bfbf6c53a8fcc1864f1455.png

First as an inside forward told to hold the ball up and sit narrow. He has the positional sense I want but doesn't use his physicality to best opponents also his dribbling leaves much to be desired.

5903ed2d285fd_ScreenShot2017-04-28at10_32_11PM.thumb.png.6b5c8058b9cac846480b294399efb87e.png

The Second is, as a wide target man, told to sit narrow and to cross less often ( Mandzukic rarely crosses in games instead Alex Sandro provides the crosses from the left side). This uses his physicality, but I find he is often on the periphery of games and doesn't have much influence.

I'm interested to hear how you guys would approach deploying a player like Mandzukic in fm 17.

I remember reading @LPQR blog and from what I gather, he played him as a defensive forward but was still able to get him to move out to the left.

I'd say drop him back into midfield and make him a DW (s) w/ Get Further Forward, Sit Narrower, Cross Less Often PI

That way he uses what he does best....closing down people and getting some work in ala Kuyt

12 hours ago, kidthekid said:

I remember reading @LPQR blog and from what I gather, he played him as a defensive forward but was still able to get him to move out to the left.

7 hours ago, MarchColorDrink said:

How about trying him as a withdrawn target man as in this blogpost from Strikerless.com ? Byt perhaps puta him in the left Amc slot. That would likely see him more involved. 

I read both of the articles you 2 mentioned and tried them out in some friendlies. I love the attacking contribution that it the roles give, but both options leave the fullback with a lot of room and I find my team not being as defensively solid as I would like and that one would expect from Juventus.

if you are dropping him back to midfield as Jean0987654321 suggested, I think the defensive winger works well but correct me if I'm wrong, they are set to dribble more, and they do not get forward much, if that is the case, I will go with a wide midfielder and then you can tweak his role to close down more and tackle more.

what makes the role so unique is how Mandzukic interprets it, not how it's set out in FM. If you have a player with his insane levels of workrate, stamina, aggression and bravery you can probably try him out as both Defensive Forward and WM in a number of set-ups that would make him perform the duties he currently does at Juventus. 

also, Mandzukic playing as he does and being as effective as he is is a combination of the above plus how the general system offers balance through complementing player duties/movement. So key things here, which I end up repeating almost infinitely :)

1) if you want to mimic a player's role IRL in FM make sure the attributes of your chosen player match the qualities of the RL one

2) make sure the system within which you employ the role/player is designed to offer the necessary balance/support so that the player has a meaningful role in the system