FM 2016 - keep getting FM'd

Hello guys.

I'm having lots of trouble with FM 16 since I purchased it a few days ago. I'm a long time cm/fm player, having played cm 01/02 when I was just a kid for quite a while, I spent most time playing FM 08 because that was the last FM I really enjoyed (it was not overwhelming in any way).

Anyways, long story short, I tried a bunch of different teams on FM 16 so far and boy am I getting wrecked and pissed. Like seriously, it's so hard to win a game, and even harder to keep a clean sheet, sometimes it seems like there's no way around conceding. It doesn't matter if I tweak the tactic to perfection, if I download a tactic that is tested and should work from somewhere or something else, it just does not seem to work in a long run. I had a control and possesion tactic downloaded from somewhere and I've used it because I was curious, I had like 65% possesion almost every game with my Arsenal squad, like 15 shots on goal, and can't seem to score a bloody goal but at the very same time my team receives a goal from nothing. It's really harsh when the team am playing against has like 30% possesion, 3 shots out of which 2 they manage to score and I lose. I was playing with top notch teams, and one or two games we actually play really well, then same team, same tactic, terrible opposition and we get wrecked. Then 2 - 3 draws in a row with amazing dominance from my team that we somehow failed to utilize. 

Some of you may say it's tactic (what else could it be right), but I was playing around testing alot of different things and approaches and it is so full of flaws and does not seem to work in a long run. Was curious about the possibility that it could just be me, so I went to holiday on multiple high rated teams I managed and gave my assistant manager the freedom to manage as he feels is the best, and when I came back, let's say after 2 months, it's still  like a win - draw - draw - lose - lose - draw - win - lose - lose, you get the impression. So even if you manage to avoid getting fired, after 20 games in the league you're looking at let's say 6 - 7 losses, and most likely 5 - 6 draws, and that would not even be that horrible. I was like, maybe it is my lack of konwledge in tactics, so as I already said, I used downloaded tactics that are supposed t be good but to no avail. I always ensure my training is in check, top notch staff (number 1 in all areas) etc etc. Sometimes I have a decent lead of say 2 - 0 and then I concede 2 or God forbid 3 goals in the span of 20 mins.

I must admit that so far it has been a tough road for me. :)  Just dropping my 2 cents. I know I'll get better with time, it just amuses me how ineffective I am, like I've never played, heck like I've never heard of FM in my life, so dope haha.

Any advices? Cheers.

On 23/04/2017 at 23:28, Croatian Sensation said:

Hello guys.

I'm having lots of trouble with FM 16 since I purchased it a few days ago. I'm a long time cm/fm player, having played cm 01/02 when I was just a kid for quite a while, I spent most time playing FM 08 because that was the last FM I really enjoyed (it was not overwhelming in any way).

Anyways, long story short, I tried a bunch of different teams on FM 16 so far and boy am I getting wrecked and pissed. Like seriously, it's so hard to win a game, and even harder to keep a clean sheet, sometimes it seems like there's no way around conceding. It doesn't matter if I tweak the tactic to perfection, if I download a tactic that is tested and should work from somewhere or something else, it just does not seem to work in a long run. I had a control and possesion tactic downloaded from somewhere and I've used it because I was curious, I had like 65% possesion almost every game with my Arsenal squad, like 15 shots on goal, and can't seem to score a bloody goal but at the very same time my team receives a goal from nothing. It's really harsh when the team am playing against has like 30% possesion, 3 shots out of which 2 they manage to score and I lose. I was playing with top notch teams, and one or two games we actually play really well, then same team, same tactic, terrible opposition and we get wrecked. Then 2 - 3 draws in a row with amazing dominance from my team that we somehow failed to utilize. 

Some of you may say it's tactic (what else could it be right), but I was playing around testing alot of different things and approaches and it is so full of flaws and does not seem to work in a long run. Was curious about the possibility that it could just be me, so I went to holiday on multiple high rated teams I managed and gave my assistant manager the freedom to manage as he feels is the best, and when I came back, let's say after 2 months, it's still  like a win - draw - draw - lose - lose - draw - win - lose - lose, you get the impression. So even if you manage to avoid getting fired, after 20 games in the league you're looking at let's say 6 - 7 losses, and most likely 5 - 6 draws, and that would not even be that horrible. I was like, maybe it is my lack of konwledge in tactics, so as I already said, I used downloaded tactics that are supposed t be good but to no avail. I always ensure my training is in check, top notch staff (number 1 in all areas) etc etc. Sometimes I have a decent lead of say 2 - 0 and then I concede 2 or God forbid 3 goals in the span of 20 mins.

I must admit that so far it has been a tough road for me. :)  Just dropping my 2 cents. I know I'll get better with time, it just amuses me how ineffective I am, like I've never played, heck like I've never heard of FM in my life, so dope haha.

Any advices? Cheers.

Don't rely too much on downloaded tatics, devise your own based on the players you have at your disposal , also look at your opponents, how are they playing, paying particular attention to your scouts reports, this should at least get you a few wins while you are getting used to your teams strengths and weakness.

^ WHS. Downloads are oft geared towards "statistically" dominance by exploiting match engine defensive weaknesses (which ARE an issue). They also oft have at best a threadbare defensive cover, so any short period the opposition still gets the ball, they are immediately through on goal. No AI manager ever plays that extreme. They don't give a hoot about possession on the occasion, as giving the ball to the opponent can open space (you can win back to back promotions on this with the worst possession numbers, and speaking about which, did Ranieri ever bother about that with Leicester). It's like that crapshoot from somebody who has taken lessons from Charles Reep, the misguided soul who fifty years ago found that goals were scored about every 9th shot, so figured that only if you bring in the volumes, the goals will come. When his principles were installed at the FA, that poisoned the wells of English football for decades. And whilst it is true that it is too easy to dominate possession and shot counts on FM, getting superior shots that see a semi regularly conversion isn't necessarily. In particular when that one-trick pony download fails as the AI opponent drops deep, its used formation plugs the hole targeted and it manages to hang on in there to never concede the 0-1.

In other words, getting FM'ed is that match where your forward won't hit a cow's butt from actually decent attempts off play, whilst on the other end of the pitch the AI that sat 6 guys behind the ball on defend duty all match never gifting your team attacking space scores from the marking bug off an attacking-throw-in, it's only attempt at goal all match. **** happens. That's getting FM'ed. Regularly dropping big amounts of points in matches where you had most of the attempts isn't getting FM'ed. It's getting exposed for lack of football knowledge, how to translate it into the game or both of them. Whilst the game lacks feedback, and it is arguably (too) easy to amass shots in particular from set piece play statistically, the core issue is, will always be, and has always been, tactical. It can be solved. It's done in the tactics forum, not here. Downloading won't solve it, as that isn't managing, no matter how successful your download of choice is overall. Everybody who's ever said this was your tactics on this front was true all along either way, 100% guaranteed!

Archived