Sports Interactive Community
DerKopite

Quick Q Re: the Advanced Playmaker

I need a myth-busting re: the Advanced Playmaker. 

Basically, I've always interpreted the difference between the Attack and Support AP as the latter being somebody who works within the spaces further up the pitch and quickly distributes it; whereas the attack AP will work with the same spaces, but will dribble out of that space a bit more in comparison.

Is that the case? I've shied away from using the role - going instead for a basic CM role customized - because I just can't quite grasp it. 

I'm afraid that you may be incorrect, especially the Attack duty interpretation.

An AP(s) will attempt to move into the hole without the ball when the team has possession, and then demands it while positioned in the hole. He receives the ball, which may then draw a defender out of position to close him down, which of course will open up some space for teammates to run into.

Whereas an AP(a) will demand the ball before moving into the hole, and then attempts to dribble with the ball into the hole to get a defender to move out of position to close him down which will then open up some space for teammates to run into.

Edited by harryleechinyeow
English is not my 1st language lol

1 minute ago, harryleechinyeow said:

I'm afraid that you may be incorrect, especially the Attack duty interpretation.

An AP(s) will attempt to move into the hole without the ball when the team has possession, and then demands it while positioned in the hole. He receives the ball, which may then attract a defender to move out of position to close him down, which of course will open up some space for teammates to run into.

Whereas an AP(a) will demand the ball before moving into the hole, and then attempts to dribble with the ball into the hole to get a defender to move out of position to close him down which will then open up some space for teammates to run into.

I don't think this is correct either. The movement and actions you describe would be entirely dependent on the player, his PPM's, the system he is playing in etc. You can't just limit the differences to those specific things. The effect of his chosen duty is also dependent on your team shape.

For me the main difference is that an AP on attack duty will be much more mobile as they look to create space to receive the ball while one on support will remain more static & rely on his teammates creating that space.

1) Start by looking at and comparing the default Player Instructions for the support and attack duties.  You can even hover each PI in game to see a tooltip.

2) The AP can play at either MC, AMC or AML/R and the default PIs differ for each position.  So the AP will behave slightly differently depending on where in your formation it's placed.

As above, depends where you play him, what team instructions, shape and mentality you use... but just as a comparative I certainly use AP Attack a lot, for mobility. AP s tends to be a static role and assister of the assist.. AP a dribbles more, makes more final through balls and more goals. Depends what you want from your AP and where he fits in the team. AP s if you have 2 or 3 players ahead of him ... AP a if you have 1 or 2.

6 hours ago, DerKopite said:

I need a myth-busting re: the Advanced Playmaker. 

Basically, I've always interpreted the difference between the Attack and Support AP as the latter being somebody who works within the spaces further up the pitch and quickly distributes it; whereas the attack AP will work with the same spaces, but will dribble out of that space a bit more in comparison.

Is that the case? I've shied away from using the role - going instead for a basic CM role customized - because I just can't quite grasp it. 

I suggest keeping it simple, like some of the others have suggested, take a look at the PIs that are locked into each role, you will notice two distinct differences. And like @Barside and @herne79 said, one is mobile and the other isn't as mobile. The difference between the two rests with the Hold up Position shout. Just imagine this, one plays like Coutinho and dribbles a lot trying to carve out chances for others and the other...well I can't really think of a player...but imagine another who tends to hold the ball up looking to make the passes, but he isn't inclined towards driving at them with some dribbling action.

17 hours ago, Craigus89 said:

I don't think this is correct either. The movement and actions you describe would be entirely dependent on the player, his PPM's, the system he is playing in etc. You can't just limit the differences to those specific things. The effect of his chosen duty is also dependent on your team shape.

Entirely true. I should've added 'in the case where u compare apple to apple, where the player does not hv any ppm, and that u r playing at standard mentality and flexible shape'. In other words, fundamentally, i think that is the difference between an AP(s) and an AP(a) deployed on the CM strata.

As for everyone saying abt the AP has differing PIs in default based on the strata which we put him, entirely true no doubt. But the OP did say that he'd rather use a customised CM role. So i assume he is referring to an AP on the CM strata. 

Edited by harryleechinyeow

Static APs... (basically DLPs who cant tackle or track back like a Makelele, Lucas in his heyday or debatably Xhaka)

i.e. Xavi, Pirlo, Alonso, Fabregas, Kroos, Veratti, Ozil

AP s are the guys who use intelligence to pick up great positions and receive the ball ... then pass and move again.

AP a are the more attacking flair players who receive it and try to make magic happen ... like a Trequarista but with more emphasis on vertical lines.