Young Player Philosophy

Hello,
I posted this elsehwere, but got no answers (although I think I probably posted in the wrong thread...)

Anyway, I have a couple of questions about my current save and club (Cambridge) having the 'young player philosophy' and how I am being judged on it...

First, what age does the board class as 'young' ? Currently I have 0% on that philosophy even though I've got on average age one of the youngest squads in the league (23). I had 50% earlier on in the season, but have just realised I no longer have any starters under the age of 21.

Second, is it likely the board will ever allow me to change it in the future and what would I need to do before I ask them change it? I've asked once at the start of the season after gaining promotion, but they said no, the club relies on us producing young players apparently...

I usually find the young player philosophy kicks in when the season's done, they tend to judge you over the season with that but I'm sure you could try throw one or two U21's in your side if it's concerning you.

Secondly, the board will let you change your philosophies maybe after the first season, so when you sign your new contract try to remove it in the club's vision, if your unable to do that then keep pestering the board about philosophy changes during the season. They give in after a bit.

I've noticed that the philosophy's % bars can be a bit inaccurate sometimes but just keep with it, always sorts it's self out.

IIRC, it's 23, but as michaeltmurrayuk said, you'll see this when you're in the process of buying a player too.

Also, it's important to realise that it's not just simply buying young players or having a low average age. These young players need to be used in the First Team. That's the critical part of it.

Ok thanks for help and suggestions.

I did have as mentioned earlier, 50% at the start of the season, just strange it's dropped to 0% when if 23 is young I've got 2 players starting every week who are 22.

Hijacking this a little..

Is there any benefits of adding this as a philosophy when talking to the board!?

I always sign youngsters but haven't had that philosophy in any team I've managed. Should I do it or just keep going..?

6 minutes ago, Soninho said:

Is there any benefits of adding this as a philosophy when talking to the board!?

I always sign youngsters but haven't had that philosophy in any team I've managed. Should I do it or just keep going..?

I would really like to know this as well please, cause I sign and use many young players (1x19y old, 3x20y old, 2x21y old, 4x22y old) but haven't added it as a philosophy.
And after checking it, my board doesn't have a problem if I add this philosophy.

14 minutes ago, Soninho said:

I haven't tested it, but by having this philosophy, the board agree to anything youth development related (e.g. increase youth scouting, training facilities, youth level etc)

I've also had success asking for increase wage budget, the chairman said something along the lines of it "enabling us to keep hold of our young players" or similar. So I think it definitely has an impact

4 minutes ago, beardymouse said:

I haven't tested it, but by having this philosophy, the board agree to anything youth development related (e.g. increase youth scouting, training facilities, youth level etc)

I've also had success asking for increase wage budget, the chairman said something along the lines of it "enabling us to keep hold of our young players" or similar. So I think it definitely has an impact

This is great news! Really hope it implies to FM16 too though..!

After giving the board their "possesion based football" (that usually isn't my style), I hope they agree on my philosophy too..!

17 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

Ok thanks for help and suggestions.

I did have as mentioned earlier, 50% at the start of the season, just strange it's dropped to 0% when if 23 is young I've got 2 players starting every week who are 22.

What exactly is the philosophy? There are 2. Either you need to buy new young players to use as first teamers or you need to promote youngsters from the club's home-grown talent. So it could be that you're not doing this or the wrong one of the two, firstly.

Secondly, have you done either since the start of the season, ie brought new players in?

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

What exactly is the philosophy? There are 2. Either you need to buy new young players to use as first teamers or you need to promote youngsters from the club's home-grown talent. So it could be that you're not doing this or the wrong one of the two, firstly.

Secondly, have you done either since the start of the season, ie brought new players in?

I will have to check...

I have signed three players under 23 this season so far, one of which was for first team who got injured, and the others were 16 and 17 so are in the under 18's at the moment. 

14 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

12 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

I will have to check...

I have signed three players under 23 this season so far, one of which was for first team who got injured, and the others were 16 and 17 so are in the under 18's at the moment. 

I have just checked, and it is develop players using the clubs youth system... So that would be why! It is too hard to develop players through our system, unless I buy in 16-17 year olds to go into as they are pretty pants!

The other problem I'm having regarding youth... under 18's and under 22's leagues invitations get accepted, yet we never play any games... so I am having to constantly arrange friendlies for both. Why would that be? 

On 18/04/2017 at 19:49, beardymouse said:

Good to know.

15 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

I have just checked, and it is develop players using the clubs youth system... So that would be why! It is too hard to develop players through our system, unless I buy in 16-17 year olds to go into as they are pretty pants!

Yeah I always find this in the lower leagues, the youth players are just so much worse than those you could sign for free. You could try to upgrade the academy, but by the time it's producing League 2 standard players you'll be in the Championship! I think there's also quite a bit more flexibility in fans' minds as to what counts as developing "your own" young players IRL. Using Cambridge as the example since you're managing them and I support them:

• We've not had a youth team player properly break into the first team in ages. Luke Berry and Josh Coulson still play for us, but made their debuts in 2010 and 2007 respectively.
  • Liam Hughes also made his debut in 2010, but left last year.
  • Before that you probably have to go back to John Ruddy, who has obviously moved on a bit since then :D
  • Leon Davis has made 5 appearances so far this season, is on the verge of becoming a "regular".
  • Will Norris is regarded by most people as "one of our own", even though we actually signed him as a 19 year old. However, as a keeper, that seems younger. It definitely wouldn't count on FM.

Good luck, but personally I'd try to get the board to remove the philosophy.

1 hour ago, m_fenton said:

Yeah I always find this in the lower leagues, the youth players are just so much worse than those you could sign for free. You could try to upgrade the academy, but by the time it's producing League 2 standard players you'll be in the Championship! I think there's also quite a bit more flexibility in fans' minds as to what counts as developing "your own" young players IRL. Using Cambridge as the example since you're managing them and I support them:

• We've not had a youth team player properly break into the first team in ages. Luke Berry and Josh Coulson still play for us, but made their debuts in 2010 and 2007 respectively.
  • Liam Hughes also made his debut in 2010, but left last year.
  • Before that you probably have to go back to John Ruddy, who has obviously moved on a bit since then :D
  • Leon Davis has made 5 appearances so far this season, is on the verge of becoming a "regular".
  • Will Norris is regarded by most people as "one of our own", even though we actually signed him as a 19 year old. However, as a keeper, that seems younger. It definitely wouldn't count on FM.

Good luck, but personally I'd try to get the board to remove the philosophy.

Well luckily, the board have agreed to drop the 'produce youth players' to me being able to buy in younger players instead.

Joao Vigario my first from Portugal on a free from Guimaraes and 2 regens from Croatia and Wales respectively. Already this philosophy has now gone to 50%. Feeling much better about my board confidence now!

On Cambridge, most enjoyable save I have had since my Lecce days on FM15. Even started following their results IRL... Medy Elito, my new guilty pleasure! His stats are not great on FM17, but seems to come up with the goods on the left wing more often than not!

Glad to hear it, hopefully you'll be able to follow us in the play offs too (if we sneak in). Elito is a bit of a fans' favourite, even though he's not actually achieved anything of note yet. Goes missing for large chunks of games (or entire games, to be fair) but has the occasional blinder. Presumably you saw his 1 man show against Carlisle a while ago?

(Last of topic post mods...)

7 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

The other problem I'm having regarding youth... under 18's and under 22's leagues invitations get accepted, yet we never play any games... so I am having to constantly arrange friendlies for both. Why would that be? 

you may have opted out of that competition at the start of the season. pretty sure thats a question you get in fm16.

3 hours ago, m_fenton said:

Glad to hear it, hopefully you'll be able to follow us in the play offs too (if we sneak in). Elito is a bit of a fans' favourite, even though he's not actually achieved anything of note yet. Goes missing for large chunks of games (or entire games, to be fair) but has the occasional blinder. Presumably you saw his 1 man show against Carlisle a while ago?

(Last of topic post mods...)

Yes I did watch that! I was confused originally, thought FM had got something wrong, as he is a left winger, yet was taking penalties with his right foot... FM has him as 'Either' though! To be fair, he does go missing in some of my matches and I have found dropping him for a game seems to work...

Does Ikpeazu still feature much? I couldn't get much from him in my save on FM, so had to loan him out for the season for Eastleigh, but is too good for that league. I watched him play in the FA Cup against Leeds and although he was 'a bit raw' I liked him. 

1 hour ago, Carninho said:

you may have opted out of that competition at the start of the season. pretty sure thats a question you get in fm16.

I am sure the question was, 'Do you want to accept the invitation?' and each time I have said yes... I will have to check carefully at the start of next season...

14 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

Does Ikpeazu still feature much? I couldn't get much from him in my save on FM, so had to loan him out for the season for Eastleigh, but is too good for that league. I watched him play in the FA Cup against Leeds and although he was 'a bit raw' I liked him. 

Ikpeazu plays 100% of the time when fit, he was recently out for about 8 weeks though. We play a long ball game I've never quite managed to replicate in FM, relentlessly direct. It just about works with Ikpeazu to aim for, but falls apart terribly without him (Ben Williamson is probably a lot better in FM than real life this season). He's absolutely a fan's favourite, great to watch him in a proper battle with the centre backs.

On 21/04/2017 at 08:05, m_fenton said:

Ikpeazu plays 100% of the time when fit, he was recently out for about 8 weeks though. We play a long ball game I've never quite managed to replicate in FM, relentlessly direct. It just about works with Ikpeazu to aim for, but falls apart terribly without him (Ben Williamson is probably a lot better in FM than real life this season). He's absolutely a fan's favourite, great to watch him in a proper battle with the centre backs.

Ben Williamson is again a player on my save without great stats but lost without him! 

Best of luck for the rest of the season, il be following from now on!

Archived