Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
VinnyChilds

FM16/17 - Windowed mode no longer works

As of today, windowed mode has stopped working for me on '16, I just get presented with a white screen. Same happens for Maximised Borderless Window.

If I delete %localappdata%\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2016\Cache and Preferences, the game loads properly as expected in fullscreen, but resetting to Windowed causes the white screen again. I then have to close via Task Manager and re-delete Cache and Preferences folders.  I've reinstalled FM16 and the behaviour persists.

I suspect this has happened since the 1703 'Creator Update' for Win 10 failed to install for some reason, borking my graphics in the process. I have rolled back to 1607 plus subsequent security updates, as well as a clean reinstall of my graphics drivers (card is an R9 280X), and everything is working fine again, but FM16 just won't run in windowed (though FM15 will - I don't have '17 though).

There's no crash dump file to include as the game doesn't crash, it just won't render.

Any ideas?

As an addendum, I just installed the '17 demo. Exactly the same thing happens - it works fine in fullscreen and then switching to windowed gives me a white screen.

Thanks for letting us know- it might be good and to help others if you could advise what you did to resolve this issue- thanks

15 hours ago, VinnyChilds said:

After spending hours fixing the what the Creator Update broke, it works again. Huzzah.

Hi Vinny, 

Thanks for letting us know. As FrazT mentioned above if you could advise what steps you followed to resolve the issue this would be appreciated.

James

Mainly I believe it was solved by doing the clean install of my graphics drivers (using DDU) and getting the latest AMD drivers from their page - Microsoft recommend updating your drivers to the latest version before updating to the CU but that didn't stop them from doing a stealth update with seemingly no driver version checking, and trying to apply the updated drivers over the rolled-back update didn't work.

I also reinstalled the DirectX and all Visual C++ redists just to be sure based on things I'd read but I can't say if that helped or not. Then I downloaded and ran the Windows Update Assistant and applied the CU again, and this time it worked, solving all graphical issues.

HTH

Edited by VinnyChilds