[FM17] If you think you're too small to make a difference you haven’t spent a night with a mosquito

Benjoe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Very glad to see this back up and running :D

There was water in that pic?

I'm ecstatic as well! :D Just need to find time to play some more...

Water is slang. Shhhhh... 

giphy.gif

I see Nelson is back to the African journey with an improved look and destination. "Mao Tstetung Stadium" is bizarre but I'm willing to overlook that by appreciating the natural beauty of the beaches. The water looks lovely indeed.

31 minutes ago, noikeee said:

giphy.gif

I see Nelson is back to the African journey with an improved look and destination. "Mao Tstetung Stadium" is bizarre but I'm willing to overlook that by appreciating the natural beauty of the beaches. The water looks lovely indeed.

Improved look? Nelson is livid and flattered at the same time.

Mao Tsetung... yeah. They'll soon draw comparising lines between Mao Zedong and Nelson Mandela Jr. Fitting? No?

Good to see you understanding the slang in use!

17 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Hakan is 60, he wouldn't know

That might be true, but he still needs to learn! Can't have him walking around my tread being inappropriate - we got Nelson for that already!

He that beats the drum for the mad man to dance is no better than the mad man himself

zanzibar_beaches.thumb.jpg.67bac6ead8d278ac56e183c29081b112.jpg

As Mumbu gathered the players on the training ground Nelson was busy practicing his "Very Important Leader March". Walking with his hands held behind his back, and with a rank back he marched a few steps forward before turning sharply 180 degrees and walking back again. On repeat. Forever. At least until Mumbu yelled and broke his focus.

"Boooooossssss!!! We're ready!" 

Nelson turned and looked at Mumbu's wide smile. The pale skin reflected the sun briefly blinding Nelson. Nelson tried to keep up his act of being an important leader figure. 

"I see you've turned up today expecting to just wander unto the pitch and train like you've always done. Well, not today. Today you are under my command, and you will be trained harder than you've ever been before."

The players were silent, a few scratched their heads and a single player, the oldest of the bunch yawned. He'd seen this before. New managers thinking they were the next Lamine Ndiaye, but failing to get results and then getting fired before the first half of the season had passed. 

They were training ahead of the first test match, a match against their U20's and Nelson had no idea how they would line up or what formation to use. His new assistant manager had given him a paper with a lot of different info about all the players. What good was this going to do? He needed to see them with the ball, see their movement, their dribbling skills. He wanted them to entertain him. 

791a3083685f7d8f184821f3d49035cf.png

As the players stepped unto the pitch Nelson roared, "IT'S TIME! LET ME SEE BLOOD!"

The players  turned their heads and were startled, The new assistant tried to calm the players down,"He's joking-"

"Shut up, ye? I'm in charge here. Blood, now."

He that beats the drum for the mad man to dance is no better than the mad man himself

Having watched the team training the first time Nelson was a tad bit disappointed. No blood. However, some skills were shown, and also some players had extravagant hairstyles and impressive moustaches. This was, of course, relevant too.

Nelson and Mumbu sat down after the training and talked about the players. They made a top 3 of best hairstyles / beards. The assistant manager came in wanting to help, but got pushed out of the room by Nelson who just repeated, "No, no no no no."

Honorable Mentions:

Mohammed Rashid                                     Mohammed Iddi                                  

cbf942b2e63aa1d07b4fba562e4a83a3.png 99ff89c6f603f68a6dd353cc187ea13e.png

Juma Kimath                                                    Amir Pazi                

5ada49864b46c6006d17574d6c0b96fb.png 76538dce70d069d18cc0e72a9dba49b4.png

Rashid's nice dreads didn't quite make it, Juma's flairful hair wasn't enough to impress and Pazi's intimidating 'stache deserved a place, but his balled head dragged him down. Mohammed Iddi, dubbed 'the Zanzibari Elvis Presley' who makes a bit of money performing as Elvis in beach bars, had too much of a baby face to be there but they liked the Elvis style. 

Top 3, hairstyles:

3rd and 2nd place went to a couple of guys who had identical styles which greatly amused Nelson and Mumbu, "How are defenders gonna know who is who ahahahHAHAHAhahaha"

Mohammed Kanoni                                            Ally Komba     

777a6ddd8b79e3aeacd23a074febc7fe.png 484fa086806a716bf6f92ceceb2d3da0.png

And in first place, drum roll please. *Drum roll ensues*

Mohammed Liuzio

6f26f9f2f3362e391f39175756c31781.png

Beautiful combination of hair which finely braided cornrows and a moustache combined with a small and precise patch on the chin. He had to be their number one. 

Also, Nelson quickly realized, that Mohammed would be the new "Dlamini" causing great confusion in the future. Surnames would be used this time around instead of first names. 

26 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Gotta love that two of the best players are 16 and 17 years old.

Well, the assman hasn't got a clue what he's doing so wouldn't trust his ratings too much. He is right some of the time though, I recon.

3e45819f74a444fb64d0a250b16caf5e.jpg

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Might as well put your squad list up on a wall and throw darts at it to pick your team!

How did you know the way Nelson and Mumbu picked squads!?

5 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

So the assistant that said he was the best in Zanzibar was basically bragging about his discipline

Or his 'Fitness' training schedule. I mean, it's anyone's guess with this guy. 

4 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

So what exactly is Mumbu's role. How does he make  a living, if he isn't employed by the club.

On 17/4/2017 at 16:55, Benjoe said:

After some tough negotiating Mumbu agreed to become Nelson’s personal assistant and follow him wherever he went. The price? 0.5% of the income from Nelson Mandela Jr-Merchandise sold at home game because that is going to be a moneymaker. Sure.

On 30/4/2017 at 15:08, Benjoe said:

Nelson had signed a contract which would actually pay him, and Mumbu got the occasional "0.5% of the income from Nelson Mandela Jr-Merchandise sold at home game" that was the original deal between the two partners. This happened far more often than what would considered sane behavior from even the worst Shopaholic. 

No. It isn't a lot. How does he survive? Well, this is an unsolved mystery. 

In other news, everybody hates Nelson.

a74c346b4c3852eb579082e52598d0f0.png

79007fec4b63c5a81897003373b79484.png

Oh and the tweet was prior to the friendly. :lol:

1 minute ago, kidthekid said:

My bad, I forgot about the 0.5% deal.

No worries, a lot has happened during the brief life of this save. :D  

Nelson wished Mumbu would forget, but he always asks about it after each home game.

8 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Blatant ageism on display, this...he's still young at heart! :lol:

You know how old Hakan is? 

No, how old is Hakan?!

Hakan is so old, Noah told him to get the **** out of his ark. 

Billedresultat for badum tss gif

f7dbae640656a11fb3471c9eb82c0261.png

Our (short) preseason is over, and soon the season starts!

The Zanzibari Muhammad Ali, Mohammad Mohamad ( :lol: ) will be important going forward I feel.

a65f58b858da5f0e6c4466cb6f96c19a.png

He is very similar to Vilakati who was immense for us at Mhlambanyatsi, maybe Mohammad here will be so too.

6 hours ago, Benjoe said:

1362d738330b4f665c9904e3c619db6b.png

I'm genuinely impressed, that we sold 65 season tickets for fans wanting to spend every second sunday at b4f10ab6c5379334168910e0205e9035.png...

It's Zanzibar. Wake up, head to the beach, get wasted and  sober up cool off with some Okapi football spectacle

4 hours ago, kidthekid said:

It's Zanzibar. Wake up, head to the beach, get wasted and  sober up cool off with some Okapi football spectacle

Our first league game was actually a friday at 19:30, perfect warm-up for getting wasted tbh. and then heading to the beach to look at the beautiful... water.

Also, the league debut has just been played, and I will post about it soon. 

A spider’s cobweb isn’t only its sleeping spring but also its food trap 

Mumbu neared his debut as a manager for Okapi. He wandered the training pitch as he laid out the strategy to be employed.

You four; defend!

You two; win the ball and pass it off!

You three; dribble and showboat, and run!

You; SCORE!

And so his tactic had been created. 

06a392ecadeb2580fc719996762f98f0.png

SS was taken after the game, Khalfan got injured (8-9 days) in the game.

With such extreme tactical preparation, how could anything go wrong in the league fixture?

As they arrived for the game, Nelson quickly noticed something new about Mumbu. It wasn't his pale skin. Despite being in a charter travel destination with nice beaches and a lot of sun his skin was still pale as snow. Nelson was always startled by this fact. But now Nelson realized. It was sunglasses. 

"Hey boss! You like my new sunglasses? They're called wayfarers - they're like the ones Beckham wears -" Nelson interrupted Mumbu.

"What the ****, Mumbu"

"I'm just trying to look cool, boss"

"But, why, Mumbu? Why try, You wouldn’t even look cool if you were standing in a freezer." 

And with those words Nelson walked past Mumbu and went straight to the locker room. 

Mumbu was still standing there. He didn't move a muscle. Clearly hurt from the unfairly harsh words by Nelson. This time. This time it was too much. Mumbu was ready for getting some revenge. He was plotting, and clinched his hand, and was about to execute his plan.

"You coming or what, Mumbu?!"

"Yeah Boss!"

A spider’s cobweb isn’t only its sleeping spring but also its food trap 

The game ended with a standing ovation from the 363 fans attending the game excluding 156 away fans effectively meaning there were 207 home fans.

Mumbu had forgotten his plan. He tried to remember it, but it was gone. Mumbu shrugged it off and went to the locker room to celebrate with the boys. Nelson's voice was roaring from the locker room.

"I'M THE KING OF THE WOOOOORLD!

e4befea22a9398d97363b431895d256d.png

Squad for 16/17

soccer_africa.jpg.a9c77066ea42ed1989e0fcaecc547f51.jpg

With the formation chosen to be 4-2-3-1 with ball winning midfielders and aggressive wingers we're ready to take over Zanzibar with storm.

a8f6c48bc1ddfc8f124b1760453d874a.png

Looking at the squad a lot of players have been waved goodbye since the first screenshot of the team. Just like at Mhlambanyatsi Rovers, I found, that a lot of the players in the first team squad were heavily lacking certain parts of their game but were dominant in others. An example would be this guy:

c133154aa9c0d0ae60834058ac894cc7.png

Or these guys:

a1ab048d32880e69486dc8aa1fa25015.png 315013931ee0a90f83d2e26201078006.png

They are very good - relatively speaking - in some areas, but hugely lacking - also relatively speaking - in other areas. I know, some might say, "But their pace is so important at this level" and yeah, it really is, I've seen that many times, but I don't want to build this squad solely built upon players who can run and nothing else. My striker and wingers are allowed to be this one-dimensional within this system, but the rest needs to be more well rounded. The players generated by default at first are nowhere near this spare a few really nice ones. I did, however, find some really talented grey players who didn't have a single double digit stat, but had a solid overall game.

bfa7914e75b4362797cf0c7fe97586b3.png a84d82145a96f32aeeb59a10edea3240.png

9361d3ab6f2c670b3932b3ef81d98638.png

The first two guys are my new midfielder duo, and Mao is my new AM. In other words, these three guys found in my u20 team as grey players are now my starting MC-MC-AMC trio. Jabu the defensive BWM, Kazimoto the supporting BWM, and Mao is then of course the attacking AM. Wether they also perform better in-game is hard to say, it's all dependent on many factors, but I like these overall solid guys far more than one-dimensional players - especially in midfield!

Looking at the squad in general:

c6e401df12764dc83b4b2cfc43b460f8.png

We've got the youngest squad at 18.73. We got a lot of potential it would seem and I think we got a well balanced squad with good cover. 

I won't show all players this time, just the starting 11 and some extra players.

Starting 11:

r1s9aqU.png

X91m1mb.png 54d4WVH.png

Wi2m5XE.png  ohMlLll.png

8AYvnOR.png mR1QJBA.png 

5LmubfR.png TW5QePY.png 1er9BdQ.png

u4cf38v.png

Extras:

x6fVe5F.png y5Wt4Hm.png

Impressive start. Looks like this is going to be a good season, although, you may have to tell the board to cancel the "play defensive football' philosophy.

Also, why is your under 20 team always better than the main team.

2 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Impressive start. Looks like this is going to be a good season, although, you may have to tell the board to cancel the "play defensive football' philosophy.

Also, why is your under 20 team always better than the main team.

Thanks man! Well, we'll see how it all goes. Nothing is certain with players at this level tbh.

Yeah about that.. I'm just all about depth you know.. or maybe my main teams are just ****. :lol:

1 hour ago, Keano16 said:

I'm expecting 6-0 every game now!

cac21024e7fc31537d32d6ebb54aef34.png

Sorry to disappoint, mate. :(

The fans hate it too.

9cb3f2729d21290a3fbacbb4e174044f.png

c591708e25eb46cbef783ade9d947ffc.png

I hope I get a chance to manage this team sometime, a8feff183bb7a72d309304f3df7e79c3.png - we all know Nelson's career will direct him there at some point.

18bb4d7dee7298a9883add9d88dd8f3d.jpg

I'm a bit confused about Zanzibar and nationalities. I thought Zanzibar was a part of Tanzania? It counts in-game as a separate nation? Does Nelson even know?

I definitely support managing the Tanzania Prisons side at some stage. :thup:

7 hours ago, noikeee said:

I'm a bit confused about Zanzibar and nationalities. I thought Zanzibar was a part of Tanzania? It counts in-game as a separate nation? Does Nelson even know?

I definitely support managing the Tanzania Prisons side at some stage. :thup:

I understand the confusion! As I've understood, it is an autonomous (or semi-autonomous) part of Tanzania. Why they have their own national team and league and so I don't know. It is listed as an autonomous area like Sicily, Sardinia and Hong Kong but wether they too have their own leagues and national teams I don't know. If I'm not even certain, Nelson hasn't got the slightest clue - but he wouldn't admit to that of course!

It is really bound to happen.

13 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

It is listed as an autonomous area like Sicily, Sardinia and Hong Kong but wether they too have their own leagues and national teams I don't know.

Siciily and Sardinia play in the Italian structure, Palermo and Cagliari being a big club from each, but Hong Kong does have it's own league and national team.

I had a chat with some of CAF's most powerful people, key top men, real insiders, you need to be a big deal to talk to them, and I got some exclusive information  did some online research and apparently Zanzibar was allowed to have its league and compete in African club competitions, but they were not allowed to do was to have a national team.

However, in March, CAF accepted them, (with the support of the Tanzanian federation) as a full member which means that their national team can now compete in CAF events such as African nations cup qualifiers etc

Whether FIFA has accepted them is unclear, but some African sports websites thinks that this is the case.

5 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Siciily and Sardinia play in the Italian structure, Palermo and Cagliari being a big club from each, but Hong Kong does have it's own league and national team.

Ahh yes, forgot about them both despite knowing it in both cases! :lol:

And cool about Hong Kong. 

1 minute ago, kidthekid said:

I just had a chat with some of CAF's most powerful people, top men, insiders and got some exclusive information  did some online research and apparently Zanzibar was allowed to have its league and compete in African club competitions, but they were not allowed to do was to have a national team.

However, in March, CAF accepted them, (with the support of the Tanzanian federation) as a full member which means that their national team can now compete in CAF events such as African nations cup qualifiers etc

Whether FIFA has accepted them is unclear, but some African sports websites thinks that this is the case.

Great source you have!

Thanks for answering your own original question better than I managed to! :D

Finally time to update a bit on the league performance! 

c49880e50ea7bf8c75039b4368358323.png

Ouch..

It has really been a horrible 2 months. 

20f5af5f821d36cf64e186231eb5df0f.png

This one hurt especially much. Away at the 1st placed team and we are actually looking great but can't score and keep conceding whenever they shoot. Just great.

fbf1f3bbd763c5f352477ea8c43b7a7d.png

We're sitting at 11th but on win could send us close to playoff at 4th. 

Tactically we're struggling to find something that works. This is the newest attempt but at some point I'll have to use some time to actually think of something long term. 

27daad342da4bf5c59c73379f9e2ad5b.png

1e4d40e2ff68331912aefc11ef315894.png

I have no cool name for it. I just call it "Not as **** as all the other attempt". Soon it'll probably change to "As **** as all the other attempts". Good times. At least we still got ze beaches.

27 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

A harsher start to life this time for Nelson.

Undoubtedly.

Also, Soka, our best performing player just moved to the 14th placed Malindi from the other Zanzibarian league. (There are two leagues in Zanzibar whose top 4 joins a championship playoff)

7210b9dac71700af61936d132f0720b6.png

So that's great.

Mumbu rushes into Nelson's office.

"Boss, BOSS!"

"What now, Mumbu."

"We set a record! We set a record, boss!"

Mumbu is standing with a huge smile as he hands Nelson the piece of paper who quickly crumbles it into a ball and throws it at Mumbu and sighs.

"Why did you do that? Shouldn't we celebrate?"

"Mumbu, you want me happy and celebrating? You want applause?"

Mumbu nods.

"Then leave the room. Now!"

e2450a99239a5fe1399ab3f204ea5670.png

In other news this years AFCON has been played and we have found a winner!

Following the Group stages we had some surprises and some expectations met as well. 

In Group A few would have expected both Mali and Gabon to qualify from the group ahead of Morocco and especially Egypt as they were good enough for at least a semi final. 

In Group B expectations were pretty much met. Cameroon and Ghana are strong nations expected to get far. 

In Group C Senegal and Algeria qualified leaving DR Congo just shy of 2nd. Congo have some solid players in Imbula, Bolasie, Bakambu, Tisserand etc. but they couldn't beat Senegal and Algeria who have good players too. 

In Group C we saw another big upset. Tunisia got ducked by Cape Verde and with the Ivory Coast just trampling through Tunisia got left out and Cape Verde went through!

4e763579f0a76983a7c3c1cf1f579bb2.png

In the Q-finals we saw Gabon drawn up against Cameroon which would be the end of their CAN experience this year. It was a close and intense battle but Cameroon could prepare themselves for the semi's after a 2-1 win. 

Senegal was meeting hugely surprising Cape Verde and despite having 26 shots (10 on target) they couldn't get a single past the Cape Verdean keeper. Not until penalty shootouts at least. 9 players had to shoot from either teams before Senegal could go through for the next round.

Mali and Ghana gave a real show for the fans with great play and great fight. In the end Ghana were the victors of a thrilling 3-2 quarter final. 

Algeria and Ivory Coast was the last quarter final, a match up worthy of a final. Or so it would seem on paper, but Algeria got dominated brutally by the Ivorian players. 4-1 would be the final score. 

818485bfd13592037986e8658f8124cc.png

In the semi's we'd see Cameroon against Senegal, and Ghana against Ivory Coast. Some good matches on paper.

However, despite getting the lead within the first 10 minutes Ghana could do little against the Ivory Coast as they fought their way back into it and ended up winning 3-1 and taking a spot in the final.

Cameroon and Senegal was a far more intense and close match. But once again the team that got the lead would go ahead and lose it all. Having gotten the lead after just 4 minutes Senegal looked good, but Cameroon weren't giving up and muscled a 2-1 win home.

d399e32991b9095856b65171234591d8.png

The fight for bronze medals would be between Senegal and Ghana, but it wasn't even close. Before it had really started it was over. Senegal scored 2 goals within the first 15 minutes and then it was on cruise control. 3-0 to Senegal. 

256fd83c0c8f4bf41a76304a71fa421f.png

Having won all matches prior to the final the Ivory Coast went confident into their final match of the tournament. Cameroon did, however, have other plans in mind. In a match dominated by Cameroon all 5 goals scored in the match got scored within the first 25 minutes of second half. It all ended with a 3-2 win for the Cameroonian internationals. What a way to end it all!

6bc6a3dda3c69ee7212b4f8aa8c460dc.jpg

4025ee3034baec43787a3f674470b5ae.png

c023fcc26281f86ce79e8801fdba4eb7.png

Seydou Doumbia (CIV) winning player of the tournament and Carlos Kameni (CMR) winning goalkeeper of the tournament. 

e0fb4d00cfe69b59babe3d1ea60d9eff.png

Why do I even bother

Nelson was sitting alone at the beach. Having lost the third game in a row, having not won in the last 7 games, having only won a single game in the last 11 matches... Not a good day or month or year. In 2017 he'd managed 6 games, 3 draws, 3 losses. He'd watched his team continuously create more chances than their opponents but still concede 2-3 goals on minor chances and then collapse. They couldn't score that much either. Despite Nelson's many attempts to get his players to refrain from all of their constant long shots they insisted on taking the long shot rather than playing the chance bigger and better.

Nelson was crushed. Even Mumbu didn't go near him this day. He knew, he'd probably make matters worse, however, on this particular day, Mumbu was all Nelson would've wished for. 

6c812e664e81495273aad9eb6841888a.png

42fac9ea1b45cd48b2b2c5cec182b78d.png

Archived