Attacking and Defending Formations

DavidWise

Has having two separate formations during the same game, one for when the team is on the ball and one for when the team is off the ball been ever been considered? For example when the team is in possession of the ball the team shape moves to a 4-4-2 and when out of possession can shift to a 4-1-4-1. 

56 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

This used to be the way really old FM's were, nicknamed the "wibble wobble" or something.

More importantly FM still has it.

The old wibble, wobble way wasn't right because players would move between positions without any thought for what was happening around them which doesn't happen IRL.

@DavidWise

The formation + defensive instructions = your off the ball defensive shape while the attacking instructions you give shape your attacks.

It kinda was discussed here among other things:

Pointing out that there's barely if any team in the world that defends in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-3 DM Wide shape the way you would in FM. If you don't use those stratas, opting for a more conservative 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1, then you cannot use the roles in the AMR/L stratas anymore. And even if you try to reproduce those roles you don't get the exact same behaviour anyway. For example, usually WMs are tweaked with IF instructions to get a more conservative IFs. However, IFs do move diagonally inside Off The Ball while WMs move pretty much neutrally. If you have a player who has a "Cuts Inside" PPM it somewhat works, although I'm not exactly sure why you'd need to go through PPM and possibly position training to get a IF that at least falls back if not defends... or why you can't just tell your IF to fall back to form a 4-1-4-1, which is more, dare I say, realistic.

Anyway, while I would welcome the change due to the effect it has in a game like PES (Fluid Formation), I'm pretty sceptical about it happening anytime soon. I do think SI devs are indeed aware of it.

• 7 months later...

Archived