[FM17] Having Some Fun With The Old Lady

davehibb

3-bintang-juventus.jpg

Now that I've got your attention... Welcome to my FM17 Juventus save! You guys knew that all along though, right?

Much like FM16, I've struggled to find a save that's stuck this year. None that I've really enjoyed and managed to get past the end of the first season with. I must have started literally 20 plus careers on FM17 so far and this Juve save, was one of the first. Some had been started with specific storylines in mind, others to try and explore the many great tactical creations and recreations that guys like @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! @LPQR and others have taken the time to share but i was back to scrolling down my saved games list last weekend and I clicked on Juve!

A few youtube videos later and a firm man crush developed for Dybala, with the save loaded up, I clicked continue on the day after the Champions League final in season 1.

I'll post a review of season 1 hopefully some time soon but here's a few goals and information for the save.

Game Details:

Original patch and database (large).
Top divisions of England, Germany, France and Spain loaded, as well as all playable Italian leagues.
I do have the in game editor and whilst I don't mess with CA/PA per se, I like to have it to tweak things if a certain player is vastly underrated or something but definitely no God Moding or using it for scouting (the 20 or so scouts on the books should be sufficient).

Save Goals:

- Juventus have a record 32 Serie A titles, so getting that 4th star on the shirt is a target. Or should we still wait until someone gets 2 stars Mr President? 
- As is the Coppa Italia. Juve again hold the record for titles here but it's only 11, so I want to treat the competition with respect.
- The Champions League is a priority. Being runners up 6 times and only winning the thing twice (and one of those through a Platini penalty for a foul that happened outside the area), is unacceptable, so we want to overhaul first Inter (3) and then Milan (7) in terms of Champions League titles.
- Keep Dybala at the club. Every save I start (and there's been a lot), see's him sold off to Real or PSG or Man Utd or somewhere. He stays and becomes a club Icon. Especially as he's just signed a contract extension irl.
- I also want to keep Buffon, Bonucci, Chiellini and Marchisio around until their playing days are done and bring through their future replacements.
- That said, I want to tone back the Juventus Gambit a little and trim down the reserve squad. I still want to use our extensive network to bring in foreign youngsters and some Italian ones too, but yeah, I don't want 60 or 70 guys out on loan, as seems to be the case at the moment.

The Manager:

44 year old Englishman (Me), with the relevant coaching badges and playing experience (Not me).

Quick overview of opening press conference: I'm here to win stuff and not learn Italian and it's important for me to look and feel comfortable in my Top Man suit (well, if it's good enough for Jamie Redknap...), given I'm now in the land of Armani and Versace.

juve_zpswlmaoxqy.jpg

It feels a little bit like a hipster save, with the buzz around Juve and Dybala the last few days and I'm feeling good enough about it to at least start a thread, so let's see how we get on... Having lost the likes of Vidal, Tevez and Pogba the last few seasons, can Juve hang onto it's little jewel Dybala and will the Old Lady of Calcio re-establish herself among the footballing elite.

Forza ragazzi! :) hate it when you get blown down by the community for starting a save with a big club. It's easy? Can be, but rewarding in it's own way - as a big Juve fan I always have a save or two with them in every FM edition and just go for developing all the Italian youth there is )

49 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Great intro! I promise to follow if you reverse course on their new badge... 

:ackter:

Best of luck!

Haha, I can't be arsed changing it mate but hopefully you'll stick around anyway. ;)

44 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Forza Juve!! As a Notts fan, it's difficult not to have a soft spot for the club (although the events of a decade ago leave a bad taste in the mouth.)

Best of luck.

Cheers mate. If it wasn't for County, Juve would probably still be wearing pink!

36 minutes ago, LPQR said:

Forza ragazzi! :) hate it when you get blown down by the community for starting a save with a big club. It's easy? Can be, but rewarding in it's own way - as a big Juve fan I always have a save or two with them in every FM edition and just go for developing all the Italian youth there is )

I thought I'd tag you in, being a Juve fan. ;)

Funnily enough, one of my most enjoyable saves in FM16 was PSG. Not because of the money (though that did allow me to purchase Griezmann and Pogba) but because I was managing Ibra. This is kinda the same with Dybala. And about it being easy... Yeah... More about that when I update season 1. ;)

31 minutes ago, Rikki220490 said:

Good luck my friend. Look forward to the updates from this :) FORZA JUVE

Cheers!

I know some people call it easy, and it generally is easier to be honest. But I think of it this way: if you take a small club over, once you get to the top it's very similar to being a team like Juve anyway. I know some people like the journey, but some people like the destination. I will be following this quite closely. Good luck!

Ever since the final against Milan in Champions League in '03 (we do not speak of the result) I've liked Juve a lot. Their new badge and some controversy doesn't change that, will be looking into what you accomplish! Good luck! :) 

3 hours ago, davehibb said:

- That said, I want to tone back the Juventus Gambit a little and trim down the reserve squad. I still want to use our extensive network to bring in foreign youngsters and some Italian ones too, but yeah, I don't want 60 or 70 guys out on loan, as seems to be the case at the moment.

That's the one thing I hate about starting up with an Italian side. Sooo many reserves, and about 90% of them junk! Of course Juve have some real gems get to work on.

Good luck with the 'aul wan.

17 hours ago, LUFCspeni said:

I know some people call it easy, and it generally is easier to be honest. But I think of it this way: if you take a small club over, once you get to the top it's very similar to being a team like Juve anyway. I know some people like the journey, but some people like the destination. I will be following this quite closely. Good luck!

16 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Ever since the final against Milan in Champions League in '03 (we do not speak of the result) I've liked Juve a lot. Their new badge and some controversy doesn't change that, will be looking into what you accomplish! Good luck! :) 

Thanks guys.

14 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

That's the one thing I hate about starting up with an Italian side. Sooo many reserves, and about 90% of them junk! Of course Juve have some real gems get to work on.

Good luck with the 'aul wan.

Yeah, trying to sort through them all at the end of season 1 was a pain. Freed a load, moved a handful on for cash and ended up loaning probably the last 20 back out, just to get them out of the way again. Though a handful did get promoted to the first team squad.

8 hours ago, Keano16 said:

Good luck, always nice to have some variety around!

Cheers mate.

Season 1 Review

I won’t bore you with the preseason friendlies but we did win the Supercoppa against Milan 1-0, through a 43rd minute own goal by Cristain Hadziosmanovic, to collect our first piece of silverware of the season.

Milan turned out to be our main challengers in the league and at the half way point of the season, they were just 4pts behind us in 2nd place, though by season’s end, you can see that they fell away quite a bit, or maybe we just went into an extra gear and we romped away with the title.

Serie%20A%20TIM_%20Overview%20Stages_zps

This was originally something of an experimental save. One where I tried different systems. Sometimes 3 at the back ala @LPQR and @Ö-zil to the Arsenal! And I also remember trying out a 4-1-4-1 before settling on a 4-3-1-2 of my own creation.

The transfers that we did make, were to accommodate these systems. A slightly buffed Yeray joining from Athletic, to bolster our centre back group and Saponara to give us depth at AMC, as most of these systems used one and we only really had Pjanic, as I preferred Dybala further forward.

Juventus%20F.C._%20%20Transfer%20History

On to the TIM Cup and we faced off against Milan in the final, breaking their hearts once more as we ran out narrow winners. Higuain getting the vital goal and thus securing the domestic double. A lot of Italian teams have treated the cup with disdain over the years but I want it to be an important title for us, even if the board aren’t that arsed.

Juventus%20F.C._%20%20Senior%20Fixtures-

The Champions League saw us safely navigate a group comprising of Dortmund, Shakthar and Plzen, before taking on Lyon in the 1st knockout round. They were despatched 5-1 on aggregate, as were their compatriots PSG, 4-1. An excellent 3-0 win in Paris, after a nervy 1-1 draw in Turin. Atletico were our opponents in the semi finals and two strong displays saw us win 2-1, home and away to set up a final against the German behemoth, Bayen Munich. We controlled much of the game and eventually took the lead in the 73rd minute through our little jewel, Dybala and Bonucci sealed the win with an injury time strike, to secure our 3rd Champions League title (equalling Inter) and the Treble at the first time of asking! Pizza cake! Get it..?

As you might expect, our players cleaned up at the various award presentations, of which there seems to be many in Italy, though with them all being in Italian, it’s a little difficult to know which ones are which. Perhaps I should learn the lingo after all?

Buffon, Chiellini, Bonucci, Pjanic, Dybala and Higuain were selected in the Serie A team of the season. Buffon winning keeper of the year and Chiellini defender… Pjanic midfielder of the year and Dybala, attacker. Dybala was top goalscorer, with 30 goals in 36 league games. Higuain coming 3rd with 22 in 31. Pjanic won foreign player of the year (I think).

As I can’t look back at the previous season’s player stats, I won’t bore you guys too much longer but I’m pretty sure that Dybala was our top assister with 10 and also tops with an average rating of 7.47 and 6 POMs. Buffon also kept 18 clean sheets in 37 games.

So, season 1 in the books. 4 trophies in the bag. Was it too easy? Or were we just too good? Either way it was fun and that’s the point.

I fired the save back up right after the Champions League final, so I’ll be able to offer a little more insight into our transfer dealings in the summer and the new(ish) system we’ll be using going forward.

The Story So Far:

Supercoppa x 1
Serie A x 1
TIM Cup x 1
Champions League x 1

Season 2 - Transfer Review

In addition to the 54 players we released and the 24 we sent out on loan, we actually did make some signings and sanctioned some outgoings too.  One in particular, I was a little miffed with.

Juventus%20F.C._%20%20Transfer%20History

The Ins:

Bentancur was a carry over form when I originally started the save. I'm guessing I signed him to play right midfield in a 3 at the back system but as we're firmly committed to our narrow 4-3-1-2 system, so he'll battle it out for a place in the middle.

Donnarumma doesn't need any introduction. The big man, Buffon wouldn't reconsider his retirement and Milan milked us for every penny they could get, so we went and broke the world record transfer fee for a goalkeeper, again...

Bakayoko was unsettled at Monaco and is just the type of energetic, all action type of midfielder we want in the middle of the park.

Our HoYD signed Romero. Again, he's well known in FM and hopefully we can develop him.

I couldn't pass on De Sciglio after Man City listed him in January. Berardi and Fekir were brought in to replace the outgoing Higuain (more in that in a moment),

Vlahovic was another HoYD signing. He likes him some centre forwards.

The Outs:

Zaza, Mandzukic and Cerri didn't fit into my plans... Originally... As I was going to go strikerless in season two but those plans were quickly scrapped but not before we shipped these guys out.

Asamoah, Neto (we brought in Costil in on a free) and later Coman were unneeded too and the other guys were reserves who I could actually get a fee for.

Higuain... The **** wanted to go play for someone who had 'better' players... Better than Dybala? Better than Bonucci? We've just won the treble FFS!!! Bollocks... Then, just after he'd upset everyone, he got injured so I couldn't move him on until January, which limited our options in bringing in replacements and thennnnn... Bonucci was upset that the team wasn't being strengthened...  Noooooooo!!!!

3 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

You could retrain Bentancur as a full/wingback.

It's something I considered but with us having Alves and then signing De Sciglio and also having Mattiello and not forgetting the impressive looking Lirola out on loan, he kinda became our DLP by default. :D

3 Games To Define A… Dynasty?

After a brief flirtation with a 4-3-3-0 strikerless system by @OneUnited, we reverted back to our tried and tested and successful 4-3-1-2. Well, @keysi interpretation of one anyway. I do love trying out and then adapting other people’s stuff.

We started the season with the Supercoppa and European Super Cup. The former against Milan and the latter against Inter, who defeated Man Utd 4-3 in the Euorpa League final. Italian football is apparently alive and well.

We despatched Milan 2-0, with goals from Dybala and Lemina but we got well and truly FM’d against Inter. We conceded an own goal inside the first minute and then we later missed a penalty which would have taken the game to extra time but it wasn’t to be and we went down 1-2.

Sticking with the cups, we navigated our way to the TIM Cup final, again to set up the first of ‘the 3’.

Onto the Champions League and once out of the groups we were magnificent against Dortmund and professional against CSKA, to set up something of a grudge match with Wenger and Arsenal.

Not content with unsettling Higuain, Wenger has been all over Dybala too, the slut. Wenger, not Dybala… Then again, Real, PSG and Man City have too. But unlike that dirtbag Higuain, the little jewel has kept his head down, donned his gladiator mask and got on with the job in hand, leading from the front as we lay just 3 games away from greatness. Oh and would you just look at the way we got past Arsenal in that second leg, after trailing 1-0 from the first.

‘It was a joy to behold… And those are the moments you live for… And all that!’

Onto the league… I haven’t included the scorers on this screenie, as it doesn’t show the little green dots and if you look closely enough, I think there’s 20 in a row in there somewhere. 😊

Annnnddd… If you look even closer, there isn’t a single red either. 😉

There's also a run where we conceded just 1 goal in 11 games too! :D

So, 1 game to be invincibles, 1 game to win another double and 1 game to win the treble and overtake Inter in terms of Champions League wins.

Happy days huh?

Well… Yes and no…

10 hours ago, OneUnited said:

Which results were obtained being strikerless?

Also, you can get green dots and scorers ;)

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 21.35.04.png

Damn! I'm gonna have to look into that! :p

I used it all through preseason, 7 games, the 2 super cups and the first 2 league games. We won every match, apart from the defeat to Inter in the Euro Super Cup. I had Dybala and Higuain as the SS's and Pjanic as the attacking pivot but whilst we were winning those games, I felt we struggled to break teams down, so I went back to a 4-3-1-2 shape.

I probably gave up on the system too soon and to be fair it's only thinking about it now, that I could have probably tweaked it. The main thing I disliked was our inability to break the lines with our SS's, but then again, I guess we'd be the favourites in every game and teams might be sitting deep.

It's still a system that I would like to revisit, though I do have a few tweaks in mind for the 4-3-1-2 for next season too. Including making My two outside MC's run wide with the ball. ;)

So... Why aren't things all sweetness and light with the Old Lady after that last update?

Dave%20Hibbert_%20%20Inbox-3_zpsoov8moim

Well... That happened during the win against Lazio. Our best player done for the season.

Then... In the week leading up to the Bari game...

Dave%20Hibbert_%20%20Inbox-4_zpscy5g6hhd

That happened, so we lose our best defender for the season too... And just for good measure...

Dave%20Hibbert_%20%20Inbox-5_zpshr5bwb56

Fortunately Alves has just returned from injury but all our other RB's are out on loan.

Just to give you an idea of how big a loss Dybala is in particular:

Paulo%20Dybala_%20Overview%20Profile_zps

Paulo%20Dybala_%20History%20Career%20Sta

Game 1

Away to 20th placed and already relegated Bari.

Just the home fans and the rest of Italy wanting us to slip up here. No pressure then…

Kick off!

15 – After an uneventful first quarter of an hour, Berardi plays in Fekir but his shot from just inside the area is pushed away. First real sight of goal for either team.

20 – CHANCE!!! Khedira with  header from Alves cross but straight at the keeper.

29 – GOOOOAAAALLLL!!!!

Juve%201%20Bari%200_zpsldcqvm8g.png

Fekir receives the ball outside the area with his back to goal, turning his man, he unleashes a thunderbolt into the far top corner of the net!

45 – Half time! We’re 1-0 up and controlling the game, without really being near our best.

52 – Pjanic shoots weakly at the keeper when well place.

55 – The keeper saves well from Berardi’s curler. It’s all Juve at the moment!

60 – Marchisio INJURED!!! A pulled hamstring! You’ve gotta be kidding me! He'll miss the two cup finals too, along with Dybala, Bonucci and De Sciglio.

69 – BERARDI!!! 2-0. Nice interplay between Alves and Fekir on the edge of the box. Alves whips in a low cross to the far post and Berardi make no mistake.

Juve%202%20Bari%200_zpszd6quiwe.png

The two players brought in with the money from the sale of Higuain in January have surely ensured that Juventus will finish the league campaign unbeaten!

73 – Donnarumma saves from Boye. The first time he’s really been called upon and Donnarumma makes a smart save.

90 + 2 – The final whistle blows. Juventus are Serie A’s INVINCIBLES!!! But at a price, as Marchisio joins the growing list of first team regulars that will be unavailable for the TIM Cup and Champions League finals.

I think that's the 2nd time Juve have gone unbeaten in Serie A. Someone might be able to correct me but I think Milan did it too but only the once?

Game 2

TIM Cup Final vs Roma at the Stadio Olimpico.

Can we do the double double?

Kick Off!

6 – CHANCE!!! Inches wide from Berardi, after a nice one-two with Fekir.

17 – GOAL! Berardi converts Sandro’s low cross from the left.

juve%201%20Roma%200_zps8fphyfgm.png

18 – Alisson with a smart save at his near post from Fekir’s shot.

32 – Great block from Rugani as Dzeko threatened.

41 – Wonderful save by Donnarumma, one on one with Dzeko. It’s all Roma as half time approaches.

Half time!

Juve were hanging on a bit there at the end. They’ll have to regroup for the second half.

47 – CLOSE!!! Bakayoko’s long range effort is just inches too high.

50 – CHANCE!!! Wonderful double save by Donnarumma from Nainngolan, following a scramble from a corner.

55 – Last ditch take by Jesus on Fekir saves Roma there.

57 – Donnarumma pushes away another effort from Nainngolan. It’s end to end now.

62 – Wasted chance there by Salah, he had men over but went for goal and dragged his shot horribly wide.

63 – SALAH!!! The Roma winger makes amends, firing past Donnarumma at the near post. Game on!

Juve%201%20Roma%201_zpsoodq2hht.png

84 – Pjaca on for the ineffectual Fekir is denied by Allisson at his near post.

90 – CHANCE!!!! Oh dear! Saponera blazes over an open goal from 12 yards after Allisson saves from Berardi. Are we headed for extra time?

90 + 2 – We’re headed for the extra period.

Kick Off!

95 – GOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!!!! Bakayokooooooo!!!! Lashes in from the edge of the area… NO WAIT!!! The flag is up! Pjaca was in an offside decision. Still 1-1.

100 – Dzeko nods wide from a narrow angle.

102 – CLOSE!!! Khedira’s shot is deflected inches wide.

105 – Still 1-1 but chances at both ends. Are we headed to penalties?

120 + 1 – UNBELIEVABLE SAVE! By Alisson from Pjanic’s free kick, diverting the ball onto the bar and then post before the defence clears.

Penalties!

Juve – Berardi – Scores! 1-0

Roma – Nainngolan – Scores! 1-1

Juve – Sandro – Skies it! – 1-1

Roma – De Rossi – SAVED! – 1-1

Juve – Khedira – Scores! 2-1

Roma – Dzeko – Scores! 2-2

Juve -Saponara – Scores! 3-2

Roma – Florenzi – SAVED! 3-2

Juve – Pjanic, with a chance to win it – SCORES!!!! Juventus win 4-2 on penalties!

Juventus do the double! The double double in my time here and the club’s 4th domestic double in a row. That must be some sort of record?

Game 3

Champions League Final at the NSC Olympiyskyi Stadiuam, Kiev, versus Antonio Conte’sBarcelona!

Can Juve get revenge for the defeat against Barca 3 years ago, whilst getting one over on their old boss? Without their best defender, midfielder and attacker..?

Here’s how the teams line up:

Barcelona%20v%20Juventus_%20Preview%20Li

Kick Off!

3 – MESSI!!! Hits the inside of the far post with an angled drive from the edge of the area. Barca broke at pace there and an early warning for Juve.

6 – MESSIIIIII!!!! The woodwork is kinder this time as Messi’s 30 yard free kick clips the underside of the bar and whistles into the back of the net. 1-0 Barcelona. Juventus have hardly had a sniff.

barca1%20juve%200_zpsic30ribp.png

7 – Fekir curls an effort wide.

30 – Half an hour gone and the game has settled down. Juventus are creeping back into it, without really threatening.

33 – GOAL!!! Berardi! Lemina breaks down the left and Berardi converts his low cross from close range! 1-1. A superb assist!

barca1%20juve%201_zpsgrwoq0t4.png

37 – PENALTY! Lemina plays in Berardi again and Umtiti scythes him down! No card for the Frenchman, he's a very lucky boy. Could easily have been a red... Up steps Pjanic… Ter Stegen guesses right but Pjanic puts it right in the corner. 2-1 Juve!

barca1%20juve%202_zpsn2fuktvk.png

42 – Lemina plays in Berardi again and again Umtiti brings him down. Just outside the area… What’s the referee going to do here? Just a warning! His lucky to still be on the pitch!

43 – Ter Stegen pushes Pjanic’s free kick onto the post, wonderful save.. and then smothers Berardi’s follow up, for good measure. All of a sudden, it’s all Juve!

45 + 1 – Half time. Juventus weren’t at the races early on but are good value for their lead. Can they hold on?

Kick off!

46 – Ter Stegen saves again from Berardi. He really should have scored.

62 – Fekir fires tamely at Ter Stegen from 18 yards. It’s not been one of his better games.

63 – Fekir then plays in Berardi… Ter Stegen’s outstretched leg deflects the shot away from a narrow angle. Juventus are definitely on top. Barcelona seem shell shocked after bossing the game early on.

66 – Gaps emerging at the back now as Barcelona push forward but Bakayoko, on for the injured Khedira, blazes over disappointingly.

69 – 2-2! Suarez! Barcelona picked Juventus apart right there!

barca2%20juve%202_zpsnicv86ci.png

70 – UNBELIEVABLE!!! 3-2… JUVENTUS!!! Fekir slides in Alex Sandro and his shot across the keeper finds the far corner! All of a sudden, Fekir is pulling the strings for Juventus. Barcelona fell asleep from the kickoff there.

barca2%20juve%203_zpsdllwycea.png

71 – Wonderful block by Bentancur from Sergio Roberto.

75 – Juventus start to drop deeper.

87 – Lemina fires straight at Ter Stegen from 12 yards. That could have clinched it!

88 – SUAREZZZZ!!! 3-3! Alba beats Alves again down the Barcelona's left and Suarez applies the finish from close range! Heartbreak for Juventus!

barca3%20juve%203_zpseybyqdlf.png

90 – Great save by Donnarumma to deny Messi.

90 + 3 -Extra Time! Amazing game. Messi could have snatched it there right at the death.

Kick Off!

90 - This game has swung one way and then the next. Will it go to penalties?

92 – Bakayoko! Wide…

104 – LEMINA!!!! 4-3 Juventus! Fekir breaks down the right and Lemina meets his cross with a powerful header! Juve’s best two players combining for what could be the winning goal!

barca3%20juve%204_zpsxp0dzsud.png

105 + 1 – Ter Stegen keeps Barca in it with a wonderful save from Fekir.

Half Time – Can Juve hang on?

108 – Fingertips from Donnarumma to deny Iniesta.

109 – Berardi fires over.

111– PJANIC! 5-3! That must seal it! Alves cuts back a cross from the right to pick out Pjanic’s run from deep and he smashes home!

barca3%20juve%205_zpsuynjxz7n.png

112 – Donnarumma with another full stretch save. This time from Sergio Roberto.

115 – Neymar! Wide… All Barcelona now, as Juve sit back.

120 + 1 -That’s it! The final whistle! Unbelievable game and unbelievable win for Juventus.

A second treble!

And without Bonucci Marchisio and Dybala against Conte's Barcelona. The group showed incredible character there.

2 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Amazing final! Plenty of goals.

Before the game, I wondered if Barca's 5 central defensive players would stifle our front 3 and whether MSN would terrorize our back 4 but in the end, I think it was our midfield that swung it in our favour.

Archived