[FM 17 Sign-Up] Race to Win the World Cup - Youth Experiment - GAME THREAD

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty nice increase in the rankings, and we beat New Zealand again! Unfortunately, Masange just isn't getting better it seems :/ does he never play for his club? At least the others are improving! Also, any idea why Japu isn't in the squad? Injury? 

20 minutes ago, SoSolidSnake said:

That's a pretty nice increase in the rankings, and we beat New Zealand again! Unfortunately, Masange just isn't getting better it seems :/ does he never play for his club? At least the others are improving! Also, any idea why Japu isn't in the squad? Injury? 

JmhCQOe.jpg

It seems he's been playing enough, I think his club is just not good enough to help him develop.

Zoo0cei.jpg

This more or less confirms that sentiment.

MyCL7FO.jpg

He's had a recent injury but I don't know if happened recently enough to have him out of the most recent team.

Hong Kong progressing well nice

However, I realize that players that from Asia and maybe even from Africa seems struggled from finding a new club to their foreign countries, I am worrying that some of them may get retired due to long time of free agency.

@tastaiwan I would like to see what club(s) are interested to sing Chow Ka Wing to see whether the new team struggle exist in Hong Kong

3 hours ago, Koetzer said:

Guess I'm out of this, Kazakhstan seems cursed. Or maybe it's possible to boost another country with full squad instead?

Pick another country, and I'll even switch Krasikov and Taylor to that country as an added bonus. It's strange how Astana is the only club to produce players, and even so only one per year.

1 hour ago, tastaiwan said:

Pick another country, and I'll even switch Krasikov and Taylor to that country as an added bonus. It's strange how Astana is the only club to produce players, and even so only one per year.

I'd pick Liechtenstein, but afraid there will be same problems as there are only about 10 clubs in database. Are they producing newgens more regular? Or Faroe Islands if they don't.

4 hours ago, Koetzer said:

I'd pick Liechtenstein, but afraid there will be same problems as there are only about 10 clubs in database. Are they producing newgens more regular? Or Faroe Islands if they don't.

Even in the mega database from Classen/Claasen/(???)? I'll check on it.

2 hours ago, vossmaj said:

@tastaiwan Can you still Show the WC qualfying Group (in which we failed). I want to see the misery in ist full beauty...

Sure thing.

22 hours ago, tastaiwan said:

It seems he's been playing enough, I think his club is just not good enough to help him develop

This more or less confirms that sentiment.

He's been playing well too! He just needs a big move to a better club, but I imagine it's difficult for these sorts of players to get noticed. Oh well, I look forward to the next update, and hope that we keep getting better! 

2023 Competitions

Angola - Lost in Southern African Cup Qtr Final to Zambia

Bermuda

Cuba

Faroe Islands

Georgia

Guatemala - 3rd place in Central American Nations Cup - Lost to Mexico in Gold Cup Qtr Final

Hong Kong - Lost to South Korea in Asian Cup Qtr Final

Indonesia

Mauritius - 2nd place in Southern African Cup to Zambia - 1st place in Indian Ocean Games, defeated Comoros

Nepal

PNG

Singapore - Knocked out of Asian Cup Qtr Final by Australia

Somalia - Lost in 3rd place playoff in East Africa Cup to Rwanda

Turks and Caicos

T&T - 1st Place in Caribbean Championship Final, beat Jamaica - Knocked out in Gold Cup semi final by Mexico

Wales

Word of note, I'm going to start transitioning to showing you the best players on your team instead of the top potential players. As evidenced by Valentine Masange, sometimes the top potential players just don't develop into world-beaters while the lower expectation players flourish into monsters. You might still see a good high potential player in either your squad or in the top potential players list, if you want to take a look at him there's no problem in asking.

Top Players

Top Potential

Angola - Rank 22!!!

I wasn't sure if Angola could keep improving at this rate...the answer is a resounding yes!

Squad

Emilio Barbeitos

Armend Bello

Blessing Diogo

Wilson Goncalves

Very strong team, with the top players playing at the top level. Good stuff from Angola.

Bermuda - Rank 107

Squad

Kelrick Bannis

Sergio André Aguiar

Francisco Coppola

Blenn Watson

Another very strong showing from a nation, although the rank hides this fact.

Cuba - Rank 115

Squad

Ze Serrao

Yoslan Aguirre

Arnaldo Ameijeiras

Christian

You can immediately tell the step down from Angola and Bermuda's world-class level. Hopefully that continues to improve but Aguirre is very stubborn, he's been at Zagreb a long time.

Faroe Islands - Rank 131

Squad

Galym Krasikov

Paul Taylor

Kari Hansen

Eli Jarnskor

Don't worry, you have better players than this, but I'm focusing on the recent regens.

Georgia - Rank 71

Squad

Zurab Gabelaia

Nika Devdariani

Sergey Fomin

Romeo Khachidze

Club-wise on the same level as Cuba, probably just more depth in the team.

Guatemala - Rank 73

Squad

Cesar Garcia

Milton Rodas

Carlos Gonzalez

Lester Cabrera

Wow...Rodas and Garcia and absolute stars.

Hong Kong - Rank 87

Squad

Daniel Gadow

Jeroen Helsen

Paulista

Yeung Chun Hung

Probably one of the weaker countries because the great amount of good kids popping up here aren't being trained properly. Europe is too far...

Indonesia - Rank 99

Squad

Muhammad Syaranamual

Dedi Redian

Yoga Santoso

Hugo Imbiri

Another demonstration of the weakness of Asia.

Mauritius - Rank 106

Squad

Jean Madron

Fredrik Oldrup Jensen

Johan Gunesh

Aadilah Clarisse

Players are getting to Europe, but it's still clearly a detrimental factor, just like in Asia, when your fourth best player is still playing in Mauritius.

Nepal - Rank 142

Squad

Binod Pandey - Free Agent...

Bimal Gharti Magar

Santosh Gurung

Ramesh Basnet

Forget the rankings. Nepal is clearly the weakest team in this experiment. The potential is alright, there are good players just like there were in Hong Kong or Mauritius. But virtually no one is leaving the country, and the fourth best player is a 16 year old. Really worrying here.

PNG - Rank 145

Squad

Jerry Japu

Steven Spain

Valentine Masange

Kema Habuka

Two amazing players, and then it crashes. Hard. Jerry Japu now far surpasses the ability of Masange. Being in the middle east, I wonder if he gets really good wages and there's no club that can justify bringing in a player of his (lack of) quality for that much money.

Singapore - Rank 36

Squad

Rizal Aminuddin

Fadhil Daud

Sulaiman Faharuddin

Azwan Ismail

I really don't think Singapore's Rank 36 is justified. I think we don't have any really good players, we just have great depth of mediocre players. Either way, I don't know why we're up in 36th.

Somalia - Rank 125

Squad

Fuadi Amin Ali

Luke Booker

Deogratias Abdillahi

Mukhtar Ali

Two decent players...then crash. That's it.

Turks and Caicos - Rank 146

Squad

Carlos Burgueno

Fehmi Langliz

Stevens Glinton

Carlo Diamond

Honestly...it's really fascinating watching the effect of the betting rounds on Turks and Caicos. They won some amazing players, but there's no force behind them that could make them contenders. It'll be interesting to see what happens when those top two retire. At least Glinton is home-bred.

T&T - Rank 89

Squad

Lloyd Joseph

Brian Charles

Jamal Latapy

Levi Garcia

Still got Garcia up in that ranking, T&T is having troubles with youth development and export.

Wales - Rank 54

Squad

Gethin Goldston

Aaron Ramsey

Ben Woodburn

Gareth Bale

Where all the regens at?

Looking forward to seeing Angola break the top 10 one of these days! 22nd in the world is amazing, though Singapore aren't far behind.

I was wondering why Bermuda aren't processing to Gold Cup qualification or getting to the final round of World Cup qualifying, so I looked at the squads of Trinidad and Tobago and Guatemala (since they're the 2 CONCACAF teams that are outperforming Bermuda) and I noticed that they've a lot more squad depth.

9 minutes ago, Human said:

I was wondering why Bermuda aren't processing to Gold Cup qualification or getting to the final round of World Cup qualifying, so I looked at the squads of Trinidad and Tobago and Guatemala (since they're the 2 CONCACAF teams that are outperforming Bermuda) and I noticed that they've a lot more squad depth.

As in Bermuda has good players but not a lot of them?

Edit: This was in response to 2022's competitions hahaha. Accidentally posted before reading this last page of comments.

Somewhat surprising to me that Uruguay won, but hey! Good for them. Is Suarez still around the team at this point?

It's kinda disappointing that Indonesia finished runner up to Singapore (who are looking quite strong). We seem to have not really been in with a shot at any point over those two legs either. Bummer :( 

A draw against Australia and some big wins against other teams in the region is nothing to scoff at though!

Nice to see a full squad finally :D And some top potential youngsters who are wanted by other clubs (I guess Scandinavian or British?)

Sad that 'transfer preferences' feature in FM works like that, so players from 'obscure' countries like Somalia or Nepal actually have no chance to catch an interest from European clubs and develop there. Just wonder what will happen if remove all those preferences in editor, probably an idea for some future experiment.

I wonder what the causal link between quality and good clubs is? Are Japu and Spain my best players because they play for Münchengladbach and Panathinaikos (had to be the clubs with the longest names), or do they play for those clubs because they're the best players? And you could be right about Masange, although 4.5k p/w isn't that high really is it? I'd pick him up on my save! (If I knew his potential)

13 hours ago, tastaiwan said:

@Human I'm not sure what's causing this skill disparity but hopefully time will fix it.

I think it's probably because Bermuda has much lower population than Guatemala or Trinidad and Tobago. So, although Bermuda is now producing better players, it's not producing more players than it would have done previously.

2024 Competitions

Angola - CHAN 3rd Place - Southern African Cup Qtr Final

Bermuda

Cuba

Faroe Islands

Georgia

Guatemala

Hong Kong

Indonesia - SEA Championship Winner... :(

Mauritius - CHAN Runner-Up - Southern African Cup Runner-Up

Nepal - SAFF Championship Semi Final - AFC Solidarity Cup 4th Place

PNG

Singapore - SEA Championship Runner-Up :(

Somalia - East Africa Cup 3rd Place

T&C - Won every game, but no tournaments

T&T

Wales

Angola

Rank 30

Squad

Emilio Barbeitos

Armend Bello

Blessing Diogo

Wilson Goncalves

Bermuda

Rank 113

Squad

Kelrick Bannis

Francisco Coppola

Sergio Andre Aguiar

Milan Smith

Cuba

Rank 116

Squad

Ze Serrao

Yoslan Aguirre

Arnaldo Ameijeiras

Christian

Faroe Islands

Rank 135

Squad

Galym Krasikov

Paul Taylor

Sonni Nattestad

Gilli Rolantsson

Georgia

Rank 82

Squad

Zurab Gabelaia

Nika Devdariani

Sergey Fomin

Romeo Khachidze

Guatemala

Rank 34

Squad

Cesar Garcia

Milton Rodas

Lester Cabrera

Carlos Gonzalez

Hong Kong

Rank 50

Squad

Daniel Gadow

Paulista

Jeroen Helsen

Yeung Chun Hung

Indonesia

Rank 79

Squad

Muhammad Syaranamual

Yoga Santoso

Dedi Redian

Firman Prayitno

Mauritius

Rank 81

Squad

Jean Madron

Fredrik Oldrup Jensen

Johan Gunesh

Aadilah Clarisse

Nepal

Rank 145

Squad

Santosh Gurung

Prakash Sarkar

Ramesh Basnet

Bimal Gharti Magar

PNG

Rank 133

Squad

Jerry Japu

Steven Spain

Valentine Masange

Kema Habuka

Singapore

Rank 44

Squad

Rizal Aminuddin

Fadhil Daud

Sulaiman Faharuddin

Ismail Morshidi

Somalia

Rank 135

Squad

Fuadi Amin Ali

Luke Booker

Deogratias Abdillahi

Mukhtar Ali

T&C

Rank 117

Squad

Carlos Burgueno

Fehmi Langliz

Stevens Glinton

Carlo Diamond

T&T

Rank 59

Squad

Lloyd Joseph

Brian Charles

Jamal Latapy

Levi Garcia

Wales

Rank 64

Squad

Gethin Goldston

Mark Johnson

Ben Woodburn

Ben Davies

Top Players

Top Potential

A few incoming changes. Several team, admittedly not all, are reaching maturity and will several players will start being a world force. I think it's time to transition into the final phase of this experiment/sign-up, which is focusing on the big dog: the World Cup. The next update will be 2026. Featured will be World Cup performances, squads, players, and if a big award (Ballon d'Or, World Player of the Year) is won by a player, I will definitely post that. Additionally, I won't be putting the top players of the countries involved anymore. The players are becoming so good that it is time to compare them to the world's best. The top players and potential list will truly become a list of the world's best, and hopefully some of you find your players. The rate at which your countries improve will also increase fourfold (math), which is nice. It will take a long time to sim, but I think it's better for this experiment in the long run.

Woo, finally some silverware for the mighty Indonesia. Looks like a very good rivalry with Singapore for sure.

Do you think this big jump/update will be the last, or will you go to the 2030 WC eventually too if we don't have one of our teams winning the 2026 edition?

3 hours ago, GryphonFlick said:

Woo, finally some silverware for the mighty Indonesia. Looks like a very good rivalry with Singapore for sure.

Do you think this big jump/update will be the last, or will you go to the 2030 WC eventually too if we don't have one of our teams winning the 2026 edition?

No way this is the end, I want to see a few teams at the top. I'll do several World Cups, maybe 2050s or later.

It's so frustrating to see 2 players with over 190 potential, but not improving! At this rate the team is going to go stale because Japu and Spain are nearly at their peak, Masange just desperately needs to move to somewhere with better training facilities ASAP. Unfortunately I think PNG is just too out of the way for the big clubs to spot them (although a Japu made it to Germany). 

I can't envisage any of us winning the World Cup just yet, I'm still hoping to simply qualify.. 

Any chance of seeing World Cup qualifying groups any time soon?

1 hour ago, Joe. said:

I can't envisage any of us winning the World Cup just yet, I'm still hoping to simply qualify.. 

I agree but as tastaiwan wrote he would go through many WC to come... some day it might really happen.

Great step up for Guatemala winning every game and beating Costa Rica 3x.

1 hour ago, Human said:

So does this mean we aren't going to get to see how our teams preform in other competitions, only the World Cup?

I'll still look through past years to see past games and competitions. However, gauging the reaction, it seems most people like the year by year format. It doesn't matter to me, they take about equal time to do, but would everyone prefer to stay with one year intervals? With the length of this experiment, I wasn't sure if people wanted yearly updates which adds up to, what, 60 updates? Doesn't seem like anyone thinks it's a problem though.

Angola - Rank 41

Schedule

Squad

Emilio Barbeitos

Blessing Diogo

Armend Bello

Wilson Goncalves

Bermuda - Rank 99

Schedule

Squad

Kelrick Bannis

Francisco Coppola

Sergio André Aguiar

Milan Smith

Cuba - Rank 80

Schedule

Squad

Yoslan Aguirre

Ze Serrao

Arnaldo Ameijeiras

Artur Ventura

Faroe Islands - Rank 121

Schedule

Squad

Galym Krasikov

Paul Taylor

Kari Hansen

Sonni Nattestad

Georgia - Rank 65

Schedule

Squad

Zurab Gabelaia

Nika Devdariani

Sergey Fomin

Romeo Khachidze

Guatemala - Rank 42

Schedule

Squad

Cesar Garcia

Milton Rodas

Lester Cabrera

Mafre Rodas

Hong Kong - Rank 60

Schedule

Squad

Daniel Gadow

Paulista

Jeroen Helsen

Yeung Chun Hung

Indonesia - Rank 73

Schedule

Squad

Yoga Santoso

Muhammad Syaranamual

Dedi Redian

Firman Prayitno

Mauritius - Rank 98

Schedule

Squad

Jean Madron

Fredrik Oldrup Jensen

Johan Gunesh

Aadilah Clarisse

Nepal - Rank 138

Schedule

Squad

Santosh Gurung

Prakash Sarkar

Ramesh Basnet

Binod Limbu

PNG - Rank 124

Schedule

Squad

Jerry Japu

Steven Spain

Valentine Masange

Kema Habuka

Singapore - Rank 48

Schedule

Squad

Rizal Aminuddin

Fadhil Daud

Ismail Morshidi

Sulaiman Faharuddin

Somalia - Rank 152

Schedule

Squad

Fuadi Amin Ali

Luke Booker

Deogratias Abdillahi

Bishaaro Omar

Somalia is one hell of a depressing case, alongside Mauritius and Nepal. Bishaaro Omar has 198 PA, but chances are he won't reach it because he might not get out of the country. Very frustrating to watch all this occur.

T&C - Rank 141

Schedule

Squad

Carlos Burgueno

Stevens Glinton

Fehmi Langliz

Carlo Diamond

T&T - Rank 26

Out of nowhere, T&T are in the mix!

Schedule

Squad

Lloyd Joseph

Brian Charles

Andre John

Jamal Latapy

Wales - Rank 56

Schedule

Squad

Gethin Goldston

Mark Johnson

Ben Woodburn

Paul Redman

Top Players

The best player in the save goes to Przemyslaw Butenko, from Poland. Don't forget, I slightly improved Poland at the beginning of this save so that will have no doubt played a large role. Zurab Gabelaia of Georgia lands at #7 in the world, two spaces above Paul Pogba. Angola's Emilio Barbeitos also features in the list at #10. Clocking in at #15, Guatemala's Cesar Garcia also makes the list of the best in the world. At this point, Gianluigi Donnarumma is only 26, so this is no small feat.

Top Potential

Of the top 21 potential players in the world (two of top three are at Ajax, I'm feeling a Dutch Dynasty coming on...), we have players from Hong Kong, PNG, and Faroe Islands, as well as two players from both Indonesia and Cuba.

World Team of the Year

Cuba's Yoslan Aguirre and Daniel Gadow of Hong Kong both infiltrated the World Team of the Year. Gadow starts in the middle.

The Broadcaster's African Footballer of the Year Award goes to Angola's Emilio Barbeitos.

Gadow and Aminuddin place 2nd and 3rd respectively in the Asian Footballer of the Year.

North American Player of the Year gets a representative from Bermuda, Guatemala, and Cuba.

Jerry Japu and Steven Spain go 1 and 2 in Oceanic Player of the Year

World Rankings

In the top 36 teams, Trinidad and Tobago was the only team of the sixteen nations to pierce the best countries in the world. Hopefully they stay up for next year.

I'm also elated to announce that we will have four of our members participating in the 2026 World Cup, namely Angola and Singapore, who are competing in the same group, Guatemala, and Trinidad and Tobago. That a 25% qualification success rate! I wish all the teams luck in the coming year.

6f1JOMt.jpg

aTZCqYo.jpg

We were so close to qualifying, how could we lose 4-3 to Iran at home :( Glad to see Japu and Spain as the best players in Oceania haha! Hope we can get into the world cup next time, we just need another world class player, given that our high potential players refuse to develop! Hopefully Malus gets better, he looks like a new regen at 17 years old.

Archived