Sports Interactive Community
LCFCEaves31

Anyone ever outstayed their welcome?

Bit random this, but was listening to another Arsenal and Arsene Wenger discussions on the radio and it got me thinking about that scenario and FM...
I ended up asking myself if I could think of a save where I ever outstayed my welcome, where my team were consistently under performing (and by that I mean not winning the league, as I am not sure finishing top 4 for however many years can be classed as under-performing, but I am not an Arsenal fan, so cannot really comment), but because of my history with the club, I stayed in the job... the board wouldn't sack me, fans still loved me etc.
The answer, I don't think I have. If I did a good job for 3 or 4 seasons, I found it less and less likely that I would end up having a bad season. I cannot imagine many FM experts on here ever experiencing anything like it either, but interested to know if anyone ever stuck around and had an Arsene Wenger type situation? Outstayed their welcome so to speak...?

I was in charge of Celtic on either FM09 or 11 (cannot quite remember), one of the longest saves I've ever had, and 1 season out of the 10 odd I had with them, I didn't win the league, Rangers become resurgent under Rafa Benitez (Really, you say...? Yes...) and beat me in both Derbies meaning they won it and I had not met expectations... however I kept my job and carried on for another couple of seasons. That's about as close as I've ever come to ruining a legacy I had built up or left from once being invincible, to the club not really being bothered I had left, but at the same time happy to stick by me...

The only time I've got to thinking I was at that stage was where I was in The Premier League & my transfer budget was zero at the start of a season, with no real reason for it, I was hitting the targets that were set for me & the clubs finances were fine & I just guessed it was their way of trying to force me out of the club.

I can't remember what year the game was or what year I was actually playing in but I ended up walking away from it.

I just wondered if people have experienced the sack way or the board breathing down their necks way to early if they've had an eify season after reaching almost legend status? I wondered how the game would react to a poor season even if you had reached Wenger type statue at that club?

I spent 13 seasons with Stalybridge getting nowhere in the Conference on an older FM so I probably did, the only thing that stopped this tour de force of mediocrity was the release of the next FM

10 hours ago, bennytee said:

I spent 13 seasons with Stalybridge getting nowhere in the Conference on an older FM so I probably did, the only thing that stopped this tour de force of mediocrity was the release of the next FM

How on earth did you remain so patient... 

3 hours ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

How on earth did you remain so patient... 

Focused on youth, saw blooding youngsters as success.  Plus you always think "maybe next season" 

Edited by bennytee

4 hours ago, bennytee said:

Focused on youth, saw blooding youngsters as success.  Plus you always think "maybe next season" 

True... I commend you on that, I became frustrated after 2 years in league 2!

I had a ~15 season game with St Johnstone, ended up dominating the SPL and reaching CL Quarter Finals, before randomly getting bored of the players and having a purge. Next season I was sitting about 8th for the majority of the season, before a decent January window helped me surge back up the table. The board never really questioned me though, the fact I was a legend by that point maybe helped.

Not so much outstayed my welcome but had 2 powerful stints.

FM13 save still going 30 seasons in.

Started at pompey in league 2 and built them up over around 15 years. Won everything and it became a bit stale. A couple of seasons finishing 3rd and not winning any cups. I decided a complete career change so resigned and took over a little team in Russia called FC Luch. Got promoted to the Prem and CSKA Moscow offered me the job. 2-3 years there and conquered Russia.

Everton had been relegated to the championship so I took them over and was there for 4-5 years. Got them into the prem and a solid top 4 team, won Fa cup but just couldn’t break the mould to win the prem.

My beloved pompey had slipped a bit and the job became available again. I went back to take them back to the top (again)

Season 2041 I won the prem and Champs league so felt I had done my job there again.

I resigned and am now at Hibs to try and break the Celtic/Rangers domination. In the 30 year save only celtic or rangers have won the SPL. Im currently in Feb in my 1st season at Hibs, 1 point behind Celtic.

Truly loving this save and will stay at Hibs for a few years or at least until I win the SPL.

Then will see where this journeyman career takes me.

Who knows, I could end up again at Pompey further down the line……

On 11/04/2017 at 12:33, L-Wiz said:

Not so much outstayed my welcome but had 2 powerful stints.

FM13 save still going 30 seasons in.

Started at pompey in league 2 and built them up over around 15 years. Won everything and it became a bit stale. A couple of seasons finishing 3rd and not winning any cups. I decided a complete career change so resigned and took over a little team in Russia called FC Luch. Got promoted to the Prem and CSKA Moscow offered me the job. 2-3 years there and conquered Russia.

Everton had been relegated to the championship so I took them over and was there for 4-5 years. Got them into the prem and a solid top 4 team, won Fa cup but just couldn’t break the mould to win the prem.

My beloved pompey had slipped a bit and the job became available again. I went back to take them back to the top (again)

Season 2041 I won the prem and Champs league so felt I had done my job there again.

I resigned and am now at Hibs to try and break the Celtic/Rangers domination. In the 30 year save only celtic or rangers have won the SPL. Im currently in Feb in my 1st season at Hibs, 1 point behind Celtic.

Truly loving this save and will stay at Hibs for a few years or at least until I win the SPL.

Then will see where this journeyman career takes me.

Who knows, I could end up again at Pompey further down the line……

Wow... FM13 save still going, well done. You not played a later version??