Sports Interactive Community
BoxToBox

Fortuna Favors The Bold....

Fortuna Sittard, that is!

432px-Fortuna_Sittard_logo.svg.png

This seems like quite the interesting team, they have a history of having a good academy(though in game it's not great) and an eye for talent. They have good history having competed in the top flight, and won cups, but recent history hasn't been great and they've narrowly avoided having their license revoked. They've recently gotten out of some severe financial trouble too.

In game, they're expected to be mid table(media prediction of 10th), but start with a 3 point deduction, and the board just want to avoid relegation. They begin with average youth recruitment, and have a 12,500 cap stadium(actually, checking that, in game it's 10,300 for some reason), third largest in the 2nd division(the second has 12,600 cap). I also greatly enjoy their eye catching yellow and green kit.

So, low expectations, but a good prospect if things go well.

As for the save, I've no hard and fast rules in place. I'd like to develop their academy and return it to former glory, but I also have a mind to try and bring in a few Irishmen and Canadians. Of course everything is subject to change as the save rolls on, and I'm always open to suggestions.

Sittard itself is in the southernmost province, Limburg, has about 48k population, and looks quite the lovely spot.

d44a295905ca840f69a745305d02162a.jpg

d33c608b6b22db6fafe29b631a8a423b.jpg27363a82818e45aa76794e4eb5a2d48e.png

The club's key player is a winger/am on loan from Galatasaray,

c08361bf268eae386f17c90b870ff4cc.png

On almost 8k a week though, which is a whopping 27% of the clubs total wage bill, I may cancel the loan, I'm sure I could get a few decent loans for that kind of coin.

The hottest prospect, in a throwback to the heady days of their academy is a 16 year old already in, and good enough for the first team.

b52299e8f86e9dbae17cbebb582c5b52.png

He looks quite the prospect at that! On a youth contract, first job is to fix that, second is to see what we have available tutor wise.

e224da82618a57cada2d18d307383ce7.png

That's the rest of the squad. The injured lad has a concussion..... for the next 6 months. I presume this is something much worse, that SI don't like to mention in game, like guys that have cancer having a "virus" in game.

There are 10 more players split between the reserves, and u-19's, lots of high PA star ratings, but none look especially noteworthy.

0f26269daf31d828363722fc600ca2dc.png

b19ee3d64a73c594794db2e84e8e0ab4.png

This is the 5* guy, maybe he'll do well, I'm not expecting it, though.

Tactically, I have no real plans of a system or style of play, we currently have a really decent left wingback that looks perfect for bombing on and a few CB's that seem tidy for this level, so I wouldn't mind a wingerless or 3 at the back system to take advantage. Right back is a massive hole in the squad though, so we'll see what summer brings(transfers are off, but we can loan).

a078e466d07430bd0885d2b16ad30066.png

I tried to get an interesting mix of countries, and a few from each continent, I'd have gone for plenty more but I wanted to keep the speed good.

In my last save I ended up in Holland with Dordrecht for several years and I recognise a couple of names in your squad list:

Smeets was a squad player for a couple of seasons before I let him go but Okan Adil Kurt was a fixture in my midfield until he retired.

2 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

In my last save I ended up in Holland with Dordrecht for several years and I recognise a couple of names in your squad list:

Smeets was a squad player for a couple of seasons before I let him go but Okan Adil Kurt was a fixture in my midfield until he retired.

Okan Adil Kurt looks a useful holding mid at this level, I'm surprised he's currently on an amateur contract.

Just now, BoxToBox said:

Okan Adil Kurt looks a useful holding mid at this level, I'm surprised he's currently on an amateur contract.

I'm shocked he is on an amateur contract TBH but then he was around 27/28yo when I joined Dordrecht and he had been there around 5 years by then so they must have picked him up fairly quickly after the game starts.

He was my main DLP but I also used him as a BWM/AM/DM from time to time depending on who else played.

I'll certainly be fixing that quite quickly!

Holland is always a decent place to start! 

Wish I could run that many leagues, I have about 7 going and it's still only at half a star of performance...:mad:

Is there a particular reason for the Irish & Canadian prospects ?

I would have say good luck but you dont even need that.

17 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Holland is always a decent place to start! 

Wish I could run that many leagues, I have about 7 going and it's still only at half a star of performance...:mad:

My last laptop, I was lucky to get 4 countries and that'd be slow as. This one's quite the beast, though.

Just now, hessemte said:

Is there a particular reason for the Irish & Canadian prospects ?

I would have say good luck but you dont even need that.

Nothing especially strong/serious. Irish just because I am Irish and would like to have some, and perhaps help strengthen the national team. Canada, just due to their strong relationship.

You'll definitely have to take over Ireland at some point and try to win the World Cup.

I give it 5/6 years before you're winning the CL with a team full of Canadians! Interesting team though, looking forward to seeing where you take them.

Excellent choice. Decent stadium and fan base for a second tier side, too. Good luck, chief :thup:

18 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

You'll definitely have to take over Ireland at some point and try to win the World Cup.

I'll have to keep an eye out, I find it's very rare that the Irish job is open.

18 minutes ago, EvilDave said:

I give it 5/6 years before you're winning the CL with a team full of Canadians! Interesting team though, looking forward to seeing where you take them.

Cheers! :lol:

11 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Excellent choice. Decent stadium and fan base for a second tier side, too. Good luck, chief :thup:

Cheers! They have problems, but there's a lot to be excited about!

This looks good. 

3e467b10ead28d5c0f30ea421eacaef6.png

So, I took that 7k wage and stretched it until it squealed. To be fair though, a lot of the free transfers are on amateur contracts with the reserve team and some of the loans were later cancelled.

0d19169c4246c3b5c644db618306f065.png

Vergerolle is a useful CB who also has a decent personality to help get the club on the way to having a good overall personality.

991948b393241ca321716f654e61533d.png

Respen is a well rated hot prospect at VVV, but was on an amateur contract, so I enticed him to make the switch.

ff5d0b040cc3bb58b5940d2fceab2aa1.png

Emlisson is a well rounded forward and has started the season on fire, just called up to play for Iceland.

d573d2064a488172a55b17741e2bc7b4.png

Two seasons, no wages, yes please!

a1d3416622f9c4455d9a461606a50797.png

Swansea have given us this quality young right wingback on zero wages for the season. One of the best transfers of the window.

cd8284eed225545866afbb4496ce5539.png

N'Diaye should help us a lot, both in midfield and defence.

44435bfbb80517793edfe23bc6d1b8b1.png

The staff reckon N'Goyi is a "good Juplier player", but I believe he'd do a job for at least half the Eredivisie. The ex-PSG and Palermo man is a massive coup for us.

2334f9241a8feb282d81699e7b82d580.png

Olly McBurnie started his career at Bradford(and spent time on loan at Man Utd), so I had to check in when he showed up in the scouting list. Looks like a decent targetman, so he joins us for two seasons, and happily no wages. Swansea are spoiling us!

This though, this is the best transfer of all....

7db164fa71cc966b95c134e6e101ebd8.png

I didn't like the look of the HOYD, so had a quick look at what was available. A model professional being available was highly unlikely, an Irishman, even more so.... A model professional Irishman, that was truly surprising!

We were given a very soft start to our season, and took full advantage, picking up wins against Achilles '29, Telstar, Jong Ajax(a massive upset), FC Dordrecht and a draw against Almere City(who we should have beaten. Leaving us tied for first with SC Camburr, Jong PSV and FC Eindhoven on 10 points, despite starting at -3.

5 hours ago, Benjoe said:

This looks good. 

I certainly hope it is!

ae56ee46bdc60cc0f3ffeec4ff37d3a8.png

First notable scalp, not one of the better Eredivisie teams, but still a cracking result in the cup.

So, I had no idea about this period system the league works in(is it new, I've played with Almere in FM 14 and don't remember it at all....). Eight league games in, and we've been the best through the first period, sealing a playoff spot.

Seems a bit daft, we've only faced one side in the top half and already won a shot at promotion....

Another save, and the usual suspects flock in to follow

Ooh...this looks tasty. Looking forward to it! 

What tactics are you using this time around? Apologies if I missed that up above - long day...

Didn't really mention it much, more than that I fancied three at the back. In the end I plumped for a 5-2-1-2 WB shape, which I've used versions of in the past few FM's and is one I really like.

48a4e855e8b9aa60663ac951d8e8cd00.png

With hindsight, it's pretty much a more workmanlike, and far less dynamic version of the sort of thing Noikeee is doing in his journeyman save.

I was expecting solid but unspectacular, but it's turning out surprisingly well.

N'Goyi looks that type of player that scouts say is not good but he ends up producing. Personally, I can see him producing the goods even in the EPL or La Liga.

I absolutely love managing in Holland. I'm currently RKC Waalwijk and now beginning my 6th season with them having one the Eredivisie title the last 2 seasons. 

One player I signed in my first season (Jupiler League) was Ruben De Jager (striker) on loan from FC Twente. He was a goal machine for me in the Jupiler League with 25 goals in 34 games. I tried for ages to sign him once I got promoted but he instead joined SC Heerenveen. After a year of unsettling him etc I finally got him back for £300k.

Anyway, good luck with Fortuna! 

8 hours ago, kidthekid said:

N'Goyi looks that type of player that scouts say is not good but he ends up producing. Personally, I can see him producing the goods even in the EPL or La Liga.

He's been suspiciously good, not just winning the ball, but has been firing in the odd tidy through ball to set up attacks, and has the best pass completion rate in the team so far.

2 hours ago, ITFC_Blue said:

I absolutely love managing in Holland. I'm currently RKC Waalwijk and now beginning my 6th season with them having one the Eredivisie title the last 2 seasons. 

One player I signed in my first season (Jupiler League) was Ruben De Jager (striker) on loan from FC Twente. He was a goal machine for me in the Jupiler League with 25 goals in 34 games. I tried for ages to sign him once I got promoted but he instead joined SC Heerenveen. After a year of unsettling him etc I finally got him back for £300k.

Anyway, good luck with Fortuna! 

Cheers, sounds like you're have a great time with RKC, long may it continue.

11 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

So, I had no idea about this period system the league works in(is it new, I've played with Almere in FM 14 and don't remember it at all....). Eight league games in, and we've been the best through the first period, sealing a playoff spot.

Seems a bit daft, we've only faced one side in the top half and already won a shot at promotion....

So... you've already noticed the ridiculousness of the 2nd tier system, I was going to warn you about that...

9 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Didn't really mention it much, more than that I fancied three at the back. In the end I plumped for a 5-2-1-2 WB shape, which I've used versions of in the past few FM's and is one I really like.

With hindsight, it's pretty much a more workmanlike, and far less dynamic version of the sort of thing Noikeee is doing in his journeyman save.

I was expecting solid but unspectacular, but it's turning out surprisingly well.

... and I was going to mention that looked similar to something as well. :D

Good luck, seems like Holland is the place to be now. :cool:

4 minutes ago, noikeee said:

So... you've already noticed the ridiculousness of the 2nd tier system, I was going to warn you about that...

... and I was going to mention that looked similar to something as well. :D

Good luck, seems like Holland is the place to be now. :cool:

Cheers! It definitely seems to be where the action is lately! :D

That tactic looks pretty familiar for me too! :D Good luck, I'll be following!

14 minutes ago, mjaferrie said:

That tactic looks pretty familiar for me too! :D Good luck, I'll be following!

Cheers!

We've hit the halfway point and midseason break. Everything's looking rosy!

We've control of the league and a wee safety net ahead of Camburr, a double safety net since we're safe in the knowledge that we've sealed a playoff spot. The team that took the second playoff spot is RKC, as I'm sure @Deisler26 Waalwijk to know....

7652324709c8acadf462691b6c167513.png

The real fun though, is in the cup!

89b6fa8541a6d411329a7c2a03939d68.png

Three Eredivisie sides sent packing, and a hope draw against the team bottom of the Jupiler League. We should beat them(though we drew in the league) and the 500k for winning the QF would be very helpful.

1886f1e81f7423c9e25a2dfc9a29749e.png

This guy is the heart of it all, scoring for fun, 32, in decline, contract expiring...... I have no idea how I'll replace him.

Oss just played with this setup for 120 minutes, for penalties in the cup.

b286b76f507fd31b3d0e9c0753bb2fad.png

Then our keeper saved every single one of their penalties. :lol:

3 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

We've hit the halfway point and midseason break. Everything's looking rosy!

We've control of the league and a wee safety net ahead of Camburr, a double safety net since we're safe in the knowledge that we've sealed a playoff spot. The team that took the second playoff spot is RKC, as I'm sure @Deisler26 Waalwijk to know....

7652324709c8acadf462691b6c167513.png

The real fun though, is in the cup!

89b6fa8541a6d411329a7c2a03939d68.png

Three Eredivisie sides sent packing, and a hope draw against the team bottom of the Jupiler League. We should beat them(though we drew in the league) and the 500k for winning the QF would be very helpful.

1886f1e81f7423c9e25a2dfc9a29749e.png

This guy is the heart of it all, scoring for fun, 32, in decline, contract expiring...... I have no idea how I'll replace him.

Looks like he needs another year to me, even if you just keep him for back up next season. 

8 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

Looks like he needs another year to me, even if you just keep him for back up next season. 

That's what I'm hoping will happen, unless his demands are too much.

January was quite busy, but mostly with outgoing move.

6ff11526ff7bb1249f78edd121cbe3ad.png

You can see I kept picking up free transfers all season long, almost exclusively on amateur contracts to get a good look at them.

Outgoings in January were an effort to cut down the wage bill and unhappy players, I didn't need a particularly deep squad as we rarely play more than one game a week. On deadline day Sunderland came in for Respen, and eventually bid an amount I couldn't say to to, but after the deal was finalised he showed up on my loan list and they're paying his wages for the next 1.5 seasons.

The big incoming deal was this fellow.

6e92b939c6338d888354f0f02b6d8d47.png

He's good in all the areas you'd need, very versatile and has a great personality.

Youth intake day!

7c6dbed013fcb638f6085a7c3ca8748d.png

Well, the most of these guys look dreadful. Absolute rubbish. Fortuna-tely(groan...) the pick of the litter is a real prospect. I'll keep Housini Aarab for his Personality/Det combo too.

Interesting that our proximity to Belgium means  the most of our players are dual nationality.

4fbba22cbfcdc8e99311b0ffeb2862d1.png

I wasn't kidding, this guy has something about him! Some of his mental attributes aren't great, if we get his off the ball and composure up, we should have a quality young playmaker.

Great start to your Dutch adventure! Long may it continue 😉

7 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

tenor.gif

Nice pickup in Lenihan too, should be very good and if you need to sell you'll no doubt make a profit. 

7 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Great start to your Dutch adventure! Long may it continue 😉

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Keano16 said:

tenor.gif

Nice pickup in Lenihan too, should be very good and if you need to sell you'll no doubt make a profit. 

It's a slight shame he probably doesn't have much PA to grow into, he has a pretty ideal attribute balance for a wingback.

21 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Great thread so far. 

Cheers!

Good luck!!:brock:Duch 2nd division is a very special category...

14 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Serves them right!

3 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Good luck!!:brock:Duch 2nd division is a very special category...

Cheers!

58 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Serves them right!

I was terrified they were going to get rewarded for it, felt like one of those moments brewing.

We won the day after they proved to be inept at the penalties they played for, got another good draw in fellow Jupiler side FC Eindhoven, squeaked past them by the skin of our teeth and have cup final in our first season against Ajax.

When Sunderland snapped up Respen, I used the pumped up finances to get the board to upgrade the scouting network to global. Now, Jupiler teams aren't allowed to sign any non-EU players, but I knew promotion was on the cards, and wanted to start scouting around the world, in preparation, especially with the mix of countries available. There are plenty of teams that pump out cheap talent, and glorious academies like the FFA COE and United States Developmental Academy.
What I didn't expect was, when the league was sealed with still a few games to go, I was instantly allowed to arrange deals with anywhere....

73438708.jpg

498aece748188653fac17e1a14d2eaf1.png

Most are fliers on amateur contracts, but I'm only getting started....

Have you shipped cartons of grapefruit 'protein shakes' to their homes yet?

Edited by kidthekid

15 minutes ago, kidthekid said:

Have you shipped cartons of grapefruit 'protein shakes' to their homes yet?

Oh geez no, we can't afford grapefruit yet.

And the imitation stuff tastes like ***.

Cup Final Weekend!

The day before was dominated by Ajax's manager Peter Bosz and his scandalous ridiculing of Fortuna Sittard's chances of competing.

d0cf07dec6126fe0ab9c78213af66305.png

John Drake, smiled, nodded along when questioned, and said "sure, they outclass us, it is what it is and we'll try our best".

After the press conference though, he had Bosz' words printed off as large as was available and pasted it to the Fortuna locker-room wall. Later finding "It's on mother******!" scrawled across it.

Match Day.

Ajax line up in the classic Ajax(Barca, Dutch & Spanish too) 4-3-3. a young squad brimming with talent, strangely playing Daley Sinkgraven(very much an attacking/playmaking sort) at full back. Fortuna Sittard in comparison continue to line up in the 5-2-1-2 WB system they've utilized all season. Notably, their preferred 11 is available, as Drake controversially played an entire reserve side in his midweek fixture with RKC(who beat them 2-0).

b9e8238ae060936a08b8a018320b70f5.png4134e3bc35b12edc412326d34a6bf761.png

The first half an hour, is dreadful football for the neutral, as Ajax dominate the game in almost all aspects, but are unable to break Fortuna down. Fortuna actually enjoying more of the possession, an unusual situation for the team with their backs to the wall, caused by Ajax continually giving it back to them by taking shots on goal.

35 minutes in, Fortuna show that if you pin someone to the wall enough, they'll eventually lash out. RCB de Regt picking up the ball close to the half way line, spots Lenihan drifting into space behind Sinkgraven, launches the ball to him, who provides a cutback cross to N'Goyi. Ajax defence congregates on his position, and he sidefoots the ball across to Walsh free in the encroachment circle just outside the box. Walsh then smashes in a top goal from outside the box into the top corner, with pretty much Fortuna's first real foray forward they've taken the lead! 1-0 to Fortuna.

Ajax instantly switch to an aggressive 3-4-3. Surprisingly not letting the game play out to the ever nearing half.

2740e4aa090c397982e3fd5ffb1cd488.png

(ignore the names on this screenshot, was taken much later)

That's pretty much all that happened until half time. Drake tells his team to not get complacent, this is Ajax ffs. Bosz could heard to be tearing strips off his team from either locker-room.

Second half starts with Ajax fired up, and pushing hard for the equalizer, as pundits urge Drake to take off one of his front three to solidify his defence. He doesn't blink though, and continues to watch things play out from the touchline.

His lack of reaction perhaps costs him, 66 minutes in when Ajax win a free kick fairly centrally, 20 yards out. Ziyech curls an absolute masterpiece into the top corner, two keepers wouldn't have saved it! 1-1 all square.

Now Ajax are closing down more, trying to win every ball and press the advantage whilst Fortuna are still rattled. Bosz shouts his team on, more more. Drake is still unmoved, Ajax are leaving gaps in their exuberance, gaps Fortuna have exploited against bigger sides all season....

75 minutes in, Ajax give up a free, in an almost identical situation to Ziyech's wondergoal, up steps Walsh, and puts away an almost identical kick! 2-1 to Fortuna!

80 minutes in, Fortuna are caught out high up the pitch and the ball is cleared straight to Traore, who gives it to Neres, beats his defender and whips it into Traroe who has a tap in Perfect poachers goal, 2-2...... Linesman has his flag up, offside! That flag went up late! We'll have to look again while Traore argues with the linesman, looked onside to me...

He went a fraction too early, the linesman's assessment was perfect!

Ajax are still fighting, but without their earlier verve, the offside flag seems to have taken the wind from their sales.

85 minute in, Fortuna take full advantage, winning the ball in midfield, Ars passes it to Walsh down the centre, who sends it to Emilsson. Emilsson sends it wide to Lenihan, who whips a delicious cross past everyone to the far post, only for opposite wingback Askovski to pop up and lash home 3-1 to Fortuna! That's the backbreaker, Ajax look defeated, Bosz apoplectic, Drake still hasn't blinked as the game peters out, the ref offering a merciful one minute of extra time.

Post match, Bosz claims it was an utter fluke, and they'd have won nine times out of ten.

Drake says that's fine, he'll take his one in ten, enjoy the fluke, the cup, 2m prize money and we'll have fun in the Europa next season, cheers! Ars in an interview though, pointed out that pre-match Drake told them he expected no less than bringing the cup home.

724defd0667a94e39e8abb890c1d9110.png

Goals.

Great work! :applause:

8 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Billedresultat for stop sign gif

Sorry about that! :(

2 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Great work! :applause:

Cheers!

This is becoming a frustrating summer, I mean I've found *some* deals, but there's a lot less quality available than I expected, and a lot of the players who are willing, are unaffordable.

There's a centre back I want for example, but he'd cost about 5m, he's an 18 year old Argentine who's already Eredivisie quality, and doubtless world class potential wise. He'll join too.

The issue is, we have 890k to spend, I can pump this up to 2m if I chuck my entire 24k wage surplus. We also have a player sale ongoing for 1m, of which we'd get 700k added to the kitty. I can structure the deal that it'd cost 1.7m of the budget and they've accepted, that's with 3.5m over 48 months. So, the deal is doable. What concerns me though is, the clubs current balance is 3m, and is valued at 10m, so it'd be quite irresponsible to spend 5m on a single player, that the club would be paying off for years.

On the other hand, I do know we will enter the Europa at the group stage. That's another 2-2.5m in the bank in August.......

I'm confused, I'm not sure if I'm trying to talk myself out of this, or into it.....