Different Levels of Challenge

I find the financial amounts at the beginning of a new season can be make-or-break for smaller teams I have managed.

I currently manage a small club which has just been promoted to the Premier League, and I've saved the game twice;  at the 'end of the old season', and at the 'new season' point with a bank balance of $19.4m and a max weekly wage of $45k. By accident, I started from the old season point and arrived at a new season, but in a different financial position. Instead of $19.4m, I was restricted to just $44k with a max wage of $20k. So I tried the same thing again and again, arriving at new season bank balances of $9.94m, $9.97m, $10.2m (max wages of $25k) and  $19.7m (max wages of $45K).  I selected the same goal as manager of 'staying clear of the relegation zone' each time to properly gauge the differences.

I also noticed that the value of players differed according to how much was in my bank. A Sky Bet defender's value I was chasing wavered at $3.3m, $9.75m, $10m and $10.75m according to how much I had in my bank.  Also the possibility of signing him was permissible at his low value, yet not when he was higher valued. I noticed that other players would sign if I had more cash, yet wouldn't when I had a low bank balance. My cash amount seemed to affect the size of my club, and the quality of player I could attract, and cause present players to seek a club with bigger wages.

In reality, Managers would face these type of issues regularly, and this has been integrated so well into the game allowing to feel the frustrations of David Moyes and Sam Allardyce at poorer clubs today. But is it possible in future, to allow us amateur managers the option of whether we would like a game-play of say; easy-medium-hard-professional etc .... where extreme measures of change are more regulated at the lower end, and more unpredictable at the higher end. I find it quite discouraging when your team is doing well and the game itself introduces something random and sudden which halts your plans such as a long losing streak, multiple injuries, financial restrictions, players unrest or clubs raiding your best players. Making varying levels for these types of direct influences could provide differing challenges for those at different levels of interest or expertise.

Archived