Russia Foreign Player Rule

I have an issue with Roman Eremenko who plays in the Russian league for CSKA Moscow. The league has a limit of 6 foreign players on the pitch at any one time. Eremenko was born in Moscow and therefore has Russian nationality but has played international football for Finland. For some reason the game is treating him as a foreign player. Is this because he has chosen to represent another country? I have tried to research this rule but have not been able to find any results. Is this a bug?

I have another player who has Russian as a 'second' nationality and he is not treated as foreign. I also have a player born outside of Russia who has gained citizenship after living there 5 years and has played for the Russian national team and is also not treated as foreign.

It must be because Eremenko has declared for another country. I've done a quick check through my first team and the foreign players that have already represented their (foreign) country are unable to attain Russian citizenship, but the foreign players that are uncapped have the days countdown.

I suppose this makes sense as the 6+5 rule was brought specifically to improve the pool available for the national team. It seems a little harsh though classing a Russian-born player as foreign because he represents another country.

Archived