[FM17] We didn't underestimate them, they were just a lot better than we thought.

Cougar2010

So far I've only had one save on FM17 & it recently crashed & burned due to an issue with the Dutch Cup on saves started on older builds.

New save then and its going to be a straight forward journeyman.

Save Specs

Game: FM17

Leagues Loaded: All leagues (playable)

Database Size: Small

Start Date: Holiday'd until 1st May 2017

Starting Team: Unemployed

The Manager

Name: Alex Dewitt

Nationality: English

Coaching Badges: None

Past Playing Experience: Sunday League

Managerial Record

2017/18 - Wellington Phoenix (Australian A-League) - 8th (of 10) + FFA Cup 2nd Round

2018/19 - Wellington Phoenix (Australian A-League) - 2nd (of 10) + Finals Series Winners + FFA Cup Winners + A-League Manager of the Year

2019/20 - Wellington Phoenix (Australian A-League) - 1st (of 10) + Finals Series Semis + FFA Cup 1st Round + A-League Manager of the Year

May-Oct 2020 - Australia

Oct 2020/21 - Pogon (Polish Ekstraklasa) - 7th (of 16)

2021/22 - Pogon (Polish Ekstraklasa) - 10th (of 16) + FA Cup Runners Up

2022/23 - Pogon (Polish Ekstraklasa) - 5th (of 16)

2023/24 - Pogon (Polish Ekstraklasa) - ??

I shoved the style focus all the way across to the right which left me with one spare point in coaching which I stuck in GKs. This gave me five points to add on the right and I stuck them all in adaptability to help with getting foreign job offers.

g7RGy2r.png

Back in holiday mode as I set it to apply for all jobs and I don't have to wait long for the first interview offer. Its a surprising one from Wellington Phoenix FC (Australian Hyundai A-League) while a second soon follows from Deportivo Union La Calera SADP (Chilean First Division B).  Many other teams don't even give me an interview while Deportivo Union La Calera thank me for my time but Wellington Phoenix FC make me an offer. I didn't expect a job from a 2.5* rep professional club but I'm not complaining as I pack my bags for the long trip south.

rrHxsNO.png

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTFhil2.png

Team: Wellington Phoenix FC

League: Australian Hyundai A-League

Started: 16th May 2017

Contract: £4.1k per month until May 2018

League Structure

The A-League is the top football league in Australia containing 10 teams with no relegation. The teams play each other three times during the season with the top six qualifying for the Finals Series.

The 2016/17 season has just ended with Sydney FC topping the regular season league table by one point from Melbourne Victory. The Finals Series saw the top two again meet in the Grand Final where Sydney FC claimed a third title with an extra time win.

Cup Competitions

Just the one, the FFA Cup which is a straight knockout competition.

Sydney FC made another final this season but came up short as Perth Glory won on penalties to lift the trophy for the first time.

Club History

Wellington Phoenix FC were created by the New Zealand FA in 2007 to compete in the A-League after the New Zealand Knights had their licence revoked by the FFA. Success has been hard to come by with 4th their best finish in the regular season.

This season they finished adrift at the bottom as they finished 10th in the league with just 17 points (5 wins & 2 draws) but they did have a little success in the FFA Cup making the semi-finals.

Club Honours

None

Stadium & Facilities

The club play their home games at the 34,500 capacity all seater Westpac Stadium which is rented from the local council at a cost of £206k per year + 20% of gate receipts.

10PKWVx.png

Corporate Facilities: Adequate

Training Facilities: Average

Youth Facilities: Below Average

Junior Coaching: Basic

Youth Recruitment: Extensive

Affiliated Clubs

Feeder Club: Asia-Pacific Football Academy

Feeder Club: ECU Joondalup (Australian National League) – National, loan

Feeder Club: Tasman (New Zealand Premiership)

Feeder Club: Wellington Utd (New Zealand Central League) – Local, loan

Rivals

None

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Finances

Bad, possibly really bad. The bank is £2.2m in the red with the club chalking up a £2m loss over the last season.

No surprise that I haven't been given any transfer budget while the wage budget is £187k a month with current wages adding up to £182k a month.

They don't have any loans or any other outstanding debt though so its just a case of getting the bank more on an even keel.

Staff

The club seem somewhat understaffed while I release three more who are coming to the end of their contracts. Adverts placed to plug the gaps over the off-season.

Competition/Squad Rules

Urm, complicated and its going to take a little time to get to grips with but the basics are a 23 man squad with three having to be U21. Two have to be GKs, max of five foreigners, max of two designated players, max of one mature age rookie and a max squad salary of £128k a month (Some don't count towards salary cap). I'm helped by my PA:

jNGKT42.png

Squad

There are 50 players split over three squads (Senior, Reserves & Youth). There is nothing to be excited about in the reserves or youth teams so the focus is on the main squad and I can see why they have struggled this season.

Defence in particular looks weak while the only defensive minded MC is well past his best and leaving us in a couple of weeks. Further forward we don't look too bad but there are question marks over several players when it comes to performance. The strongest area is comfortably the more attacking side of midfield where three of our better players are backed up by two talented youngsters.

25yo Curacaoan international, Roly Bonevacia looks to be the star of the team and the player I'll be looking to build around while New Zealand internationals, 27yo Kosta Barbarouses & 30yo Michael McGlinchey will also play a big role. In defence 29yo Italian Marco Rossi is the standard the rest should be aiming for.

TxthwyB.png  pG551O1.png

cmCq3qg.png  rpVdPfO.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

Off-Season

Finances

Our finances took a turn for the better as some big chunks of income arrived as the season ticked over. This resulted in the loss for last season dropping to £825k and the bank in a much more healthy position with £687k sitting in it.

The budgets were also reviewed and I was given a transfer budget of £69k but my wage budget was reduced slightly to £179k a month.

Transfers Out

One loan player returned to his main club in Argentina while a 32yo DM & a 24yo ST had already been set to release before I joined. The DM was well past his best but I would have liked the chance to see what I could have got out of the 24yo ST.

The off-season ends up being relatively quiet with the only offers I have to field are loan offers for two younger players, Logan Rogerson (19yo New Zealand ST/AMRL) & James McGarry (19yo New Zealand ML/MC). With three useful U21 players needed in the squad I have no intention of letting them go and reject the offers.

In terms of transfers its no surprise that there is interest in my star players. Both Melbourne Victory & Sydney FC show major interest in Marco Rossi (29yo Italian DLC) & Roy Krishna (29yo Fijian ST, AMRL) while Brisbane Roar are looking at Michael McGlinchey (30yo NZ AMC/AML) & Roly Bonevacia (25yo Curacaoan MC). With no offers arriving on my desk though I don't have any difficult decisions to make.

Transfers In

The squad rules restrict me a lot with limited room in the wage budget while I have a gap for just one foreign player. As a minimum I'm looking for one defender (probably a DL although I could work with a DC), at least one defensive minded MC and a striker.

I keep the scouts busy and take a few players on trial but I'm struggling to find decent, affordable players to bring in.

In terms of strikers I have the option to sign a 37yo Tim Cahill who, aside from his pace looks like he could do a decent job for us but I opt to pass in favour of a more rounded option:

Matt Simon (31yo Australian ST) – Unattached

Spent most of his career with Central Coast Mariners before moving to Jeonnam (South Korean K-League) for £110k in 2012. It didn't work out and he returned to the Mariners a year later before switching to Sydney FC two years ago. A hard working physical player who I'm hoping will give us a platform to attack from in the opposition half.

Nrkzysh.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

2017/18 Season Preview

Australian A-League

The only surprise is that Central Coast Mariners are below us in the media prediction.

plh2hPT.png

Board Expectations

The board seem fairly reasonable:

Australian A-League – Avoid finishing bottom

Australian FFA Cup – Quarter Finals

Wellington Phoenix FC Squad

With our first cup game on the horizon the main squad currently contains 21 players and I'm looking to add a couple more over the next few weeks. In terms of squad registration we only have two U21 players (Need three) so one of my two signings will have to be U21 while our Brazilian MC (Finkler) has recently gained New Zealand nationality which leaves us with three foreign players (Max five allowed). We are well under the salary cap but unfortunately on the limit of the wage budget allowed. The main offenders here are our two DP players – Winger Barbarouses (£37k a month) & Finkler (£15k a month) compared to the rest who earn between £2.5k & £7.5k a month.

Goalkeepers

New Zealand international, Moss has been Wellington's number one for four years but my staff feel like his decline is about to fall off a cliff with a replacement needed by next summer at the latest. Backing him up is 26yo Lewis Italiano who has also been at the club for four years but backup looks to be about his limit.

Glen Moss (34yo New Zealand GK) – 30 Caps

Lewis Italiano (26yo Australian GK)

Fullbacks

We have two good options on the left in the shape of Rossi & New Zealand international, Doyle. The two options on the right aren't up to the same standard as another New Zealand international, Fenton will probably edge the starting spot ahead of Tratt. With Doyle, Rossi & Tratt also able to play centrally it gives me more options in the middle.

Marco Rossi (29yo Italian DLC) (Foreign)

Tom Doyle (25yo New Zealand DL) – 8 Caps

Louis Fenton (24yo New Zealand DR/MRC) – 8 Caps

Jacob Tratt (22yo Australian DR/DC)

Central Defence

You know you have a problem when your best DC is a 35yo with no pace. He might have been at the club for 10 years but Durante is well past his best and has already announced his retirement at the end of this season. The other main DCs are Ryan Lowry who joined last season on a free from our Australian affiliate club, ECU Joondalup & Dylan Fox who has been a backup since arriving three years ago. Both are a little short of quality though and I'm looking to bring in a starting DC before the transfer window closes.

Andrew Durante (35yo New Zealand DC) – 9 Caps

Ryan Lowry (23yo Australian DC)

Dylan Fox (23yo Australian DC)

Central Midfield

The strongest area of the squad, especially going forward. Curacaoan international, Bonevacia is the star and a natural playmaker but his versatility means we might have to use him in a more defensive role, thats if he stays with other teams taking a lot of interest in him. Finkler is one of our DP players but is proving to be something of a problem. He takes up a big chunk of the wage budget and the defensive side of his game is lacking while his physical attributes are declining. This leaves him limited to mainly an AP role although I've set him off retraining at ST to perhaps use as a DLF or F9. The third good midfielder is New Zealand international, McGlinchey. More of an attacking player who loves to run at the defence which has made him a fan favourite, natural in the middle but can also play down either flank. Backing them up are two good younger players who are on the fringe of the New Zealand squad. Ridenton is a well rounded, versatile midfielder while Rufer is more of an attacking playmaker.

Roly Bonevacia (25yo Curacaoan MC) (Foreign) – 14 Caps, 3 Goals

Guilherme Finkler (31yo Brazilian MC/AMRLC) (DP)

Michael McGlinchey (30yo New Zealand AMC/AMRL) – 47 Caps, 4 Goals

Matthew Ridenton (21yo New Zealand MC) – 2 Caps

Alex Rufer (21yo New Zealand MC/AMC, ST) – 4 Caps

Wingers

Pacy international Barbarouses patrols the right but he is on massive wages compared to the rest and I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go if we get a good offer. Cover is provided from other areas with McGlinchey probably first in line. The left is significantly weaker where squad player Parkhouse & talented youngster McGarry are the natural options but neither are really starters. Parkhouse could find himself cut if I can find a better option before the window closes.

Kosta Barbarouses (27yo New Zealand AMR/AML) (DP) – 45 Caps, 11 Goals

Adam Parkhouse (25yo Australian ML)

James McGarry (19yo New Zealand ML/MC)

Strikers

Up front New Zealand international & fan favourite, Smeltz used to be a star target man but at 35yo has been in decline for a while and I'm looking for new signing Simon to step into his shoes. The main foil is pacy Fijian, Krishna who is happy either playing out wide or off the last man. Finally the last player in the squad is another young New Zealand international – Rogerson. He is a bit more rounded than the other strikers and looks capable of providing cover in either a deeper or advanced role.

Shane Smeltz (35yo New Zealand ST) – 54 Caps, 24 Goals

Matt Simon (31yo Australian ST) – 2 Caps

Roy Krishna (29yo Fijian ST/AMRL) (Foreign) – 28 Caps, 12 Goals

Logan Rogerson (19yo New Zealand ST/AMRL) – 3 Caps

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

July/August 2017

FFA Cup (First Round)

The FFA Cup starts early, even before any friendlies and the bad news is we are away to another A-League side in the first round. Not exactly an ideal start and its made worse by two of our main MCs being out injured (McGlinchey & Finkler). I decide it will have to be 442 to start with until I can find a decent DM and I quickly learn the value of good strikers. Simon scores on his debut inbetween a brace from Krishna to get us off to a great start.

H86rXGj.png

***NEW SIGNING***

Good signings are a bit thin on the ground, especially for U21s. With just the one gap left in the squad for an over 21yo player I settle for a decent utility player who can play in defence or midfield:

Ben Kantarovski (25yo Australian DM/DC, MC) – Unattached

After coming through the Australian lower leagues he was quickly picked up by Newcastle Jets (A-League). 150 apps later they released him at the end of last season. He wasn't great last year and looks to be more of a jack of all trades than a starter but he gives us options and is a much needed DM.

Y0p7e1g.png

With a big gap until the second round of the cup we fit in a friendly:

cKozWkq.png

FFA Cup (Second Round)

Last 16 and it seems to be the way this season – Away, check, against another A-League side, check – Brisbane Roar this time. It gets worse when I learn eight players are away on international duty due to Oceania's World Cup qualifying. I get offered a postponement which is granted but the game is knocked back just 24 hours. Moss, Fenton, Doyle, McGarry, McGlinchey, Barbarouses & Bonevacia are all away while new signing Kantarovski is suspended as we are missing a big chunk of our first team. With so many missing its a predictable win for Brisbane although we never really gave ourselves a chance going two down early.

jVcSBEH.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

September 2017

Out of the cup means September is filled with friendlies as we prepare for the League. International duty interferes but it gives me a chance to look at some of the fringe players in the squad as well as tinker with tactics. Overall it goes well as we are unbeaten against New Zealand lower league sides without conceding a goal. More importantly though it has given me a good feel for the squad and the tactics. I've decided on a 4141 as our main tactic which will allow me to get more of our better players on the pitch. New signing Kantarovski is a natural DM and suited to sitting in front of the weakest area of the team while my other signing, Simon can play as a lone frontman. I've also learned that despite their lack of pace 36yo ST, Smeltz & 35yo DC, Durante are capable of doing a job for us albeit they haven't been tested against A-League sides yet. I've also set up a 442 & a 3232 (Wingbacks) to give us alternatives but as we are predicted to finish 9th I'll be aiming to keep it tight with the more defensive 4141.

Hwy8nV5.png

***YOUTH INTAKE***

Urm, yeah a little unexpected but we get an intake during the friendlies. Its not too bad and a few look better than the players currently in the youth team. Will any of them make the first team? remains to be seen but my AM picks out DC, Baravilala as the one to watch and he grabbed a brace in our last friendly.

cnuiQzm.png

7Gapff3.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

October 2017

C8DiI7P.png

I knew the friendlies were too good to be true as I land back down to earth with a bang, at this rate I won't make it until the end of the season.

In truth it probably wasn't as bad as it looks, we were missing eight players for the opening match through international call ups, injury & suspension but only just lost out to a late goal. Another late goal saw us lose to the Mariners but we really didn't play well before Kantarovski saw red for a two footed tackle in the first half of the Perth match. The month ended better though as we restricted Melbourne Victory to just one chance which clipped the post but couldn't find the net ourselves.  Overall the team seem to be settling into the tactic but its clearly going to be a long season.

Lk4A1nV.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

November 2017

eq4JMok.png

We picked up where we left off against the Victory as it turned out to be a long shot fest against Brisbane, at least until Rufer went off injured late on leaving us with ten for the final few minutes. An early goal against the Jets set us up for our first win of the season but another early goal against the Wanderers didn't have the same effect as they claimed a winner in injury time. We finished off with another 0-0 against Adelaide where we were arguably the better team but struggled to create a good chance.

Overall a much better month where we competed well in all four games and could easily have have had four wins with a little more luck.

Oaz7Do6.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

December 2017

7yuscN1.png

We start the month well against Sydney in a tight match where we missed the best chance before travelling to what must be the biggest pitch ever in Melbourne. Despite the acres of space both sides seem to struggle to get any sort of shots away but eventually City do with a goal in each half. McGlinchey pulls one back but we can't find an equaliser as we slip to defeat. Back at home we are again a little unlucky not to find a winner against the Mariners before we return to the massive pitch in Melbourne where the Victory score two goals in the last 20 mins. I have hopes of turning the corner on New Year's Eve as Perth are missing a few players but a first half goal sees us chasing the game and as we push for an equaliser we get caught on the break as morale hits rock bottom.

UO9WsnZ.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

January 2018

Transfer News

The window opens but I haven't got any real plans. The bank is £1.6m overdrawn, I have no transfer budget & we are just under the wage budget. There is space in the squad for one more U21 player if I can find a decent one for free otherwise there will be no action until I sell a player. Looking at the squad only two are attracting interest – Barnsley (English Premier Division) are showing minor interest in Bonevacia while Jeonbuk (Korean K-League) have been watching our highly paid winger Barbarouses.

Jeonbuk strike while the irons hot as they come in with an offer for Barbarouses. I don't think the fans will be happy if I sell but there are a lot of positives about the offer – We need the money, its a decent offer, it gets his massive wages off the bill, we can cover his position with the current squad and it will give me a chance to invest the money in the defence.

Kosta Barbarouses (27yo New Zealand AMR/AML) – Sold to Jeonbok (Korean K-League) for £775k (£1.1m)

Time at Wellington: 2 Seasons (2nd spell), Apps: 60, Goals: 4, Assists: 2

With a little money in the transfer budget and a gap in the squad for an over 21yo player its not rocket science as to what we need. I had already been scouting a New Zealand international DC to sign on a bosman and as he was currently stuck in the reserves his club agreed to let him go early for a small fee:

Michael Boxall (29yo New Zealand DC/DR) – Signed from SuperSport Utd (South African Premiership) for £3.5k

After passing through a few New Zealand clubs he got his break signing for Vancouver (MLS) in 2011. He didn't make it though returning to New Zealand with Wellington where he settled for a few years. Three years ago SuperSport Utd signed him on a free and now he has returned to strengthen our defence.

g1J2nzI.png

fX5jzHS.png

The New Year gets off to a great start as McGlinchey gives us an early lead against the Wanderers but they fight back to steal a win from a match where we were the better side. With the striker looking isolated a lot I decide to push the wingers further forward to offer more support and it works as we chalk up a win over Brisbane. It seems to go to the players heads though as they deliver a terrible performance against the Jets before a kick up the arse sees them respond against Melbourne City. We were twice behind to soft shots that Moss let past him before Krishna fired in what proved to be a deserved winner early in the second half.

T5aUoXW.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

February 2018

eyfNCRu.png

We start a decent but somewhat frustrating month away to Adelaide and although we picked up a point we had the better chances. More points are thrown away at home to Sydney as we again fail to find the net while at the other end our best defender Rossi is at fault for both of their goals. Away to the Mariners our good form continues in a tight match and we are finally rewarded deep into injury time when Simon connects with Fenton's cross. In high spirits we travel to Perth and batter them from pillar to post for 90 minutes with Rufer scoring late as we look for back to back wins but a loss of concentration at the back sees them steal a point as we headed into injury time.

We picked up five points and it could easily have been more but we just aren't taking our chances. I've lost count of the amount of open goals we missed this month (Three I think, two hit the woodwork) and its not doing us any favours. We are really struggling not to finish bottom and the board are starting to lose patience with me. With my contract up in the summer I'm thinking even if they do offer me a new one I might just move on, between the squad rules & the finances its really difficult to compete with the Aussie clubs and even if I did miraculously win the A-League Wellington wouldn't be allowed to compete in the ACL.

Q5TWzjK.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

March 2018

WyrKVTd.png

After our good performances complacency sets in a little against the Victory as they are the better team in the first half taking the lead. We improve after the break though and finish strongly with Ridenton coming off the bench to find the net albeit via about three deflections in a crowded box. Our good form continues as a brace from Simon sees us get the better of 10 man Wanderers in a close game before a solid counter attacking display despatches the Jets. Three wins in five sees us not just in sight of getting off the bottom but possibly a playoff place. The month ends in frustration though as a defensive Brisbane restrict us to an even 0-0.

In the last couple of months we seem to have gone from no-hopers to dangerous outsiders but we are running out of matches with just two to go.

kZmsC9e.png

6 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Shame the surge didn't come a month or two earlier.

Indeed.

You're right on the cusp, though. Not the side anyone wants to face. Who do you have to play in those two matches?

6 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Shame the surge didn't come a month or two earlier.

Yeah, pushing the wingers forward to make it a 41221 rather than 4141 is what made the difference.

Its actually quite weird because in my last save 41221 was far too open whereas this time it just seems to suit the team better, especially Krishna on the right.

6 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Indeed.

You're right on the cusp, though. Not the side anyone wants to face. Who do you have to play in those two matches?

Home to Adelaide then away to Melbourne City.

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

April 2018

Two matches to go and the first is home to Adelaide who have already qualified for the playoffs. They come to defend and there are few chances in the first half. A hopeful long ball into the channel sees Krishna break the deadlock from a narrow angle to give us the lead at the break. Adelaide respond in the second half and we are hanging on somewhat towards the end but hang on we do to move us up two places in the table.

Nq7mPXW.png

V0o95fQ.png

Last game of the regular season and we have an outside chance of making the playoffs if we beat Melbourne City on that massive ground. Better news though is that Brisbane are at home to the Wanderers which gives us good chance of not finishing bottom even if we lose.

An amazing start sees us two up inside five minutes through first Boxall when Melbourne City fail to clear a corner and then Krishna when McGlinchey plays him in. Our hopes of reaching the playoffs last precisely five minutes though before Fornaroli shows why he is the top goalscorer by some margin this season albeit with a bit of help from our defence. We try to get back in the match during the second half but Fitzgerald catches us on the break as we end the season in disappointing fashion.

Jo4Sfw8.png

On a positive note though the Jets lost while Brisbane & the Wanderers drew meaning we end the regular season in 8th.

PcDzNpg.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

2017/18 Season Summary

Hyundai A-League

After three poor seasons the Mariners claimed their 3rd Regular Season title from the Victory who finished runners-up for the second year in a row. Behind them it looked close for the playoff spots but in truth the bottom four were the bottom four for much of the season.

0PeKCd3.png

For the second year in a row the top two also met in the Grand Final with the league winners adding the Finals trophy to their cabinet. For the Mariners it was their second Final Series win.

G6wMRKC.png

FFA Cup

The Victory did claim a trophy this season though as they lifted their second FFA Cup narrowly beating the Jets in the Final.

LHdlMDJ.png

Club Review

Hyundai A-League - 8th

FFA Cup - 2nd Round

Well in the league we were predicted to finish 9th while the board expectation was to avoid finishing bottom. A good run after Xmas saw us lose just three times in the last thirteen matches and surely a better start would have seen us in the playoffs.

In the Cup we were really unlucky to draw another A-League side in both the first & second rounds. Although we dodged one bullet we couldn't dodge two which is a pity as we would have surely made the semis with a non A-league side waiting for us in the quarters. The board were a little disappointed as the aim was the quarters but they did understand.

Our finances are up & down constantly which makes it difficult to get a handle on how we are doing. With the season over I can see we made a profit of £484k last year but that included £635k that the board injected & around £700k which we got from selling Barbarouses. Without those we would be looking at a large loss of about £850k.

Squad Review

qMwRpPa.png  3yc8XUo.png

Goalkeepers

Glen Moss should have been our number one despite being in decline but between International duty & injuries he struggled for form early on. When he did get a run in the team he was disappointing with Italiano taking over as the regular starter after Xmas. Both have contracts ending this summer and I'm not sure if either will be here next season. Moss at 35yo is going downhill and we can probably do better than Italiano as a starter while using him as backup seems like a waste of an U21 squad place.

Glen Moss (35yo New Zealand GK) - 13 apps, 20 conceded, 4 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.65

Lewis Italiano (27yo Australian GK) – 16 apps, 14 conceded, 9 clean sheets, Ave Rating: 6.81

Fullbacks

With Rossi playing mostly in the middle it left Doyle as first choice on the left. The coaches rated him as our 2nd best defender behind Rossi which made his season somewhat disappointing, he did ok but I expected far more. On the right I expected Fenton to be the first choice and that proved to be the case as he had a steady season. This left Tratt playing backup and he did ok but he simply doesn't know if he should be a full back or central defender coming up short on both counts. With his contract up I'll be letting him go as the club look for better options.

Tom Doyle (25yo New Zealand DL/DC) – 26 apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.80

Louis Fenton (25yo New Zealand DR/MRC) – 23 (1) apps, 0 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.86

Jacob Tratt (23yo Australian DR/DC) – 7 (3) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.76

Central Defence

With the middle of defence looking weak I turned to Rossi to move infield from his more usual DL role and he didn't disappoint. Out of the others it was Fox that stepped up and staked a claim for a starting role alongside Rossi at least until Boxall joined in the January transfer window. The retiring Durante & Lowry both provided backup but both are on their way out of the club.

Marco Rossi (30yo Italian DLC) – 28 apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 7.05

Michael Boxall (29yo New Zealand DC/DR) – 11 apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 7.25

Dylan Fox (24yo Australian DC) – 14 (1) apps, 0 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.93

Andrew Durante (35yo New Zealand DC) – 4 apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.45

Ryan Lowry (24yo Australian DC) – 4 apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.28

Midfield

In the strongest area of the squad there was a lot of rotation but the fixture was Bonevacia as the main playmaker. I thought he had a solid season but looking back I can't help but think I didn't quite get the best out of him. The pick of the midfielders ended up being McGlinchey, especially when playing as the CM(a) but he also provided cover down both flanks. The third of the perceived star midfielders was DP, Finkler but I was concerned he was declining. That proved to be the case as he looked fairly average when given a chance and with his contract up he'll be another that gets released. On the more defensive side I picked up Kantarovski as the season began but a mix of suspensions, a red card and injury means he made a slow start. Once settled he was steady rather than impressive but then in the role he played thats not uncommon. Backing them up were two younger players pushing for starting roles. 22yo Ridenton provided competent early cover for Kantarovski in his less favoured DM role while Rufer spent a lot of time on the bench but I did note he was much better in his natural MC position than up front as a DLF.

Roly Bonevacia (26yo Curacaoan MC/MR) – 26 apps, 0 goals, 3 assists, Ave Rating: 6.99

Michael McGlinchey (31yo New Zealand AMC/AMRL) – 19 (5) apps, 4 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 7.03

Guilherme Finkler (32yo Brazilian AMRC/AML) – 12 (7) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.77

Ben Kantarovski (26yo Australian DM/DC, MC) – 14 (3) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.80

Matthew Ridenton (22yo New Zealand MC/DM) – 15 (10) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.83

Alex Rufer (21yo New Zealand MC/MR, ST) – 7 (18) apps, 3 goals, 1 assist, Ave Rating: 6.76

Wingers

On the left Parkhouse was only expected to be a fringe player but he stepped up to be first choice and a solid member of the first team. Backing him up was youngster, McGarry but he didn't get many chances to impress. On the right after Barbarouses was sold Krishna was the natural replacement, especially once I pushed the wide players forward more. I got the feeling he was pushed off the ball a lot but he used his pace well to both provide & be a goal threat.

Adam Parkhouse (25yo Australian ML) – 23 (1) apps, 2 goals, 4 assists, Ave Rating: 6.91

James McGarry (20yo New Zealand MLC) – 2 (10) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.76

Roy Krishna (30yo Fijian AMRL, ST) – 19 (5) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, Ave Rating: 7.18

Forwards

My other signing at the start of the season was natural target man Matt Simon but he seemed to have an issue challenging for headers, in that he didn't try. A switch to a defensive forward role seemed to help after Xmas but overall the jury is still out. Retiring target man, Smeltz hung around in his final season but I turned to younger options as backup. Rufer spent some time up front along with 19yo Logan Rogerson. The coaches feel he has the talent but he didn't impress while his season was also broken up by several injuries.

Matt Simon (32yo Australian ST) – 19 (8) apps, 6 goals, 2 assists, Ave Rating: 6.82

Shane Smeltz (36yo New Zealand ST) – 0 (1) apps, 0 goals, 0 assists, Ave Rating: -

Logan Rogerson (19yo New Zealand ST/AMRL) – 8 (3) apps, 1 goal, 0 assists, Ave Rating: 6.49

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

2018/19 Pre-Season

Club News

Well the big news is the club offered me another one year deal with a 70% increase in wages. After finishing the season well and the likelihood that I wouldn't get a better offer elsewhere I feel like I owe Wellington another season with the aim of reaching the playoffs.

LIlwhne.png

Players Out

Just the one youth player had a contract expiring which left most of the leavers from the main squad. Two retired while I let four more go as I looked to strengthen.

Andrew Durante (35yo New Zealand DC) – Retired

Time at Wellington: 10 years, Apps: 232, Goals: 4, Assists: 2

Shane Smeltz (36yo New Zealand ST) – Retired

Time at Wellington: 4 years (2 spells), Apps: 63, Goals: 27, Assists: 2

Ryan Lowry (24yo Australian DC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Wellington: 2 years, Apps: 14, Goals: 0, Assists: 2

Jacob Tratt (23yo Australian DR/DC) – Released at end of contract

Time at Wellington: 2 years, Apps: 24, Goals: 1, Assists: 1

Guilherme Finkler (32yo Brazilian MRC/ML) - Released at end of contract

Time at Wellington: 2 years, Apps: 35, Goals: 0, Assists: 1

Glen Moss (35yo New Zealand GK) – Released at end of contract

Time at Wellington: 8 years (2 spells), Apps: 156

Around the time my two bosman signings arrive (see below) I realise I've cocked up massively. I thought I was allowed five foreign players but it turns out one of those five needs to be Asian which now means I have one too many foreign players and can't register them all. I can't get rid of the two new signings while Rossi is far too important to the defence which leaves Krishna & Bonevacia. As it turns out Bonevacia has turned down a new contract offer and has a number of clubs circling him with one year left so is the natural choice to go, especially as he is also the easiest to replace with a number of attacking MCs available. He isn't happy, the fans aren't happy, the board aren't happy and tbh neither am I but **** happens:

Roly Bonevacia (26yo Curacaoan MC/MR) – Sold to Barnsley (English Championship) for £675k

Time at Wellington: 4 years, Apps: 107, Goals: 13, Assists: 5

Players In

I have 16 players pencilled into the 23 man squad for next season meaning I have room for seven and the gaps are at GK, DL, DR, DC, DM, MR & ST. As for the squad rules both McGarry & Rogerson still count as U21s which means I need one more or else leave a space. In terms of foreign players we have three currently (Rossi, Krishna & Bonevacia) but the good news is both Bonevacia & Krishna are less than one year away from New Zealand nationality. This gives me two foreign spots open for this season and I'm keen to use them in the areas that would benefit us the most. With this in mind I focus on GK & ST.

The scouts have been working hard and I find a handful of good options but several either aren't interested or out of our price range in terms of fee or wages. From those left it comes down to two – A 30yo Irish keeper who is kicking his heels in the Watford reserves (English Premier Division) or a 30yo Croatian keeper who has played in New Zealand for the last couple of years. There isn't much between them but the Croatian keeper is perhaps the more rounded, has more first team experience, was impressive last season and already has a couple of years towards New Zealand nationality.

Silvio Rodic (30yo Croatian GK) – Signed from Eastern Suburbs (New Zealand Leagues) on a bosman

Started his career at Slaven Belupo (Croatian First League) and spent nine years there chalking up over 150 appearances for them. He then moved to Gornik Leczna (Polish Ekstraklasa) for £120k but it didn't work out and a couple of years ago he restarted his career with Eastern Suburbs where he is closing in on 100 appearances.

GbuYT6W.png

Moving onto the strikers most of my targets seem to be from the UK and have a range of ages & skills. The odd one out is an Argentine but after a lot of scouting he is looking like my preferred option. While the UK based strikers seem more focused in one area he is decent in the air, has some pace, excellent technical skills and good movement. His only real weakness is his lack of determination but I decide to take the risk with other Argentinian clubs starting to circle:

Fabricio Pedrozo (25yo Argentinian ST/AML) – Signed from San Lorenzo (Argentinian Premier Division) on a bosman

Came though the youth team of San Lorenzo but has spent much of his career out on loan at no less than five different clubs. With 41 goals in 140 first team appearances including 13 from 17 last season in the Bolivian Premier Division he also seems to have a good eye for goal.

zwUmH6N.png

Five gaps left but now I'm restricted to either New Zealand or Australian players and with little transfer budget I'm mainly looking at free transfers to add depth. I'm also seriously considering giving some of our youth players a chance as they'll likely only play a handful of matches per season. DC Koloni Baravilala was the pick of last year's youth intake while striker Sven IJzerman is possibly an even better long term option. At DR Danny Jones & Matthew Morgan could make the breakthrough as could Trieu Viet Dung in midfield.

DM is proving to be a problem with only three options and none of them decent. I consider just using Ridenton again as he performed fairly well covering for Kantarovski last year which means signing a MC. With the foreign player cock up I had already scouted a standout replacement and he soon signs up:

Cameron Howieson (23yo New Zealand AMC/AML, ST) – Unattached

Started his career at Burnley (English Championship) but didn't make the grade and was released. Short spells at St Mirren (Scottish Championship) & Team Wellington (New Zealand) followed before he settled at Auckland City (New Zealand). Last season was the first year he saw regular first team action and he impressed enough to earn a New Zealand callup. Not as good as Bonevacia but should fit nicely into our midfield either as the runner or the playmaker.

r4kfHsg.png

My next target is a winger and the pick of the options is an Aussie who my scouts list as lazy & selfish but he is also the type of player who can produce a bit of magic. Not ideal but he'll only be a squad player:

Nick Epifano (24yo Australian AMRL/AMC) – Signed from South Hobart (Amateur contract)

After coming through the youth team at FC Bulleen Lions (Australia) he bounced around a few Australian clubs including a season at Melbourne City (Never made an appearance). He eventually settled at South Melbourne (Australia) where he spent three seasons before moving to South Hobart (Australia) two years ago. Pace, flair & technique are his main skills and I hope he can fill in down either flank.

wgpS8ir.png

Defence is looking thin and my scouts have found a DR who is sticking out from the rest:

Joshua Brindell-South (25yo Australian DRL) – Signed from Green Gully (Australia) for £4k

Peninsula Power (Australia) were his first club but after a year at Moreton Bay Utd (Australia) he was actually picked up by Wellington Phoenix. He spent a couple of seasons here, making four appearances before being released. He bounced around three other New Zealand/Australian clubs before settling at Green Gully two years ago. He has been really impressive & matured well at Green Gully with the scouts only listing decisions as a weakness. On closer inspection thats partly due to him being strong everywhere else including having a resolute personality. Natural on both flanks but he is right footed and I'm expecting him to challenge Fenton for the starting role at DR.

LReHaF5.png

I've also promoted 17yo DC Baravilala from the youth team as a backup DC. He has good basics for the stopper role and should be able to fill in ok, thats if he gets a game. That leaves me with two gaps but I'm actually fairly happy with the squad. We have 21 players and many are quite versatile which gives us options. Technically the squad is missing a DL & a DM but Rossi & Brindell-South are able to cover for Doyle on the left while Ridenton & Fenton are capable of playing DM should Kantarovski get injured/suspended. With that in mind I didn't have any plans to sign anyone else but the scouts found someone I couldn't pass over:

Rhys Williams (30yo Australian DC, MC/DM) – Unattached

Started his career at our affiliate club, ECU Joondalup (Australia) but quickly moved to Middlesbrough (English Premier Division) where he has spent the bulk of his career. After losing his place a couple of years ago he returned to Australia with Perth Glory (A-League) but was recently released despite solid performances. With 14 caps for Australia he is an experienced International who adds something to both our defence & midfield. In practice he'll probably play a bit of both, in midfield he can play as the DLP or anchor man while in defence it would allow Rossi to move back out onto the left.

6xk2i84.png

On 26/03/2017 at 10:50, Cougar2010 said:

***YOUTH INTAKE***

16%20Youth%20Intake%202017.png

Interesting start and this is FAR from the worst intake I have seen. I know Kiwi names are often misleading because they will be 2nd or 3rd generation from just about anywhere, but it looks like you have a Viatnamese AMC and God only knows where Sven is from. Any cool 2nd Nationalities? 

Loving the rules by the way, (particularly the 21+ rookie thingy).

On 26/03/2017 at 23:04, ManUtd1 said:

Great place to start! Love that regen's name...quite the mouthful. Good luck.

Baravilala looks good, but look at Sven's surname, then the Vietnamese kid and last but not least we have not 1 but 2 Wortelboers. :lol:

Are they brothers by the way? I've never had brothers come through the intake never mind about twins!

7 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Interesting start and this is FAR from the worst intake I have seen. I know Kiwi names are often misleading because they will be 2nd or 3rd generation from just about anywhere, but it looks like you have a Viatnamese AMC and God only knows where Sven is from. Any cool 2nd Nationalities? 

Loving the rules by the way, (particularly the 21+ rookie thingy).

Yeah, not the worst I've ever had but I'm not holding out too much hope of any of them making it.

With the squad fairly poor (at least last season) those players need to really be 3.5/4* to make it and there is a lack of reserve/youth football to allow them to develop (Another problem with being a NZ team in an Australian league).

Five second nationalities - Mark Fermin (Phillipines), Barry Williams (USA), Trieu (Viet Nam), Sven (Dutch) & Baravilala (Fiji)

EDIT

No relatives either despite a few sharing surnames.

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

2018/19 Season Preview

Australian A-League

Despite being 8th last season and improving the squad the media aren't impressed.

M7qElDx.png

Board Expectations

The board are again reasonable:

Australian A-League – Avoid finishing bottom

Australian FFA Cup – Quarter Finals

Wellington Phoenix FC Squad

Aside from the **** up with the foreign player rule I'm really pleased with the transfers we've made. Overall I think the squad is stronger than last season, we made £675k off the Bonevacia sale while six players joined for a total of £4k. We also have a lot of versatility in the squad with many players able to cover other positions while I've also promoted two youth players to provide backup.

Goalkeepers

Italiano did a good job last season keeping out Moss but this season he might have a bigger challenge against new signing, Rodic.

Silvio Rodic (31yo Croatian GK) (Foreign)

Lewis Italiano (27yo Australian GK)

Fullbacks

Doyle was our main option on the left last season but this year he'll have to settle for less game time as I'll look to use Rossi more out wide. On the right new signing, Brindell-South will challenge Fenton for the starting role.

Marco Rossi (30yo Italian DLC) (Foreign)

Tom Doyle (26yo New Zealand DL/DC) – 13 Caps

Louis Fenton (25yo New Zealand DR/MRC) – 9 Caps

Joshua Brindell-South (25yo Australian DRL)

Central Defence

The middle of defence looking a lot better than this time last year. Boxall looks like being a fixture while both Rossi & Williams will get plenty of game time with either Rossi at DL & Williams in the middle or Rossi in the middle with Williams in front at DM. Fox is still here and offered competent backup last season but he might struggle for minutes this year while I'll also look to ease in 17yo Baravilala. We also have plenty of cover with both Kantarovski (DM) & Doyle (DL) also able to play in the middle.

Rhys Williams (30yo Australian DC, MC/DM) – 14 Caps

Michael Boxall (29yo New Zealand DC/DR) – 15 Caps

Dylan Fox (24yo Australian DC)

Koloni Baravilala (17yo New Zealand DC)

Central Midfield

Bonevacia & Finkler might have gone but its still looking a strong area for us. We also have a bit more steel in the middle as Williams joins Kantarovski as our main options at DM. This releases Ridenton to play further forward in his more natural position as he & Rufer will push McGlinchey & new signing, Howieson for the starting roles.

Ben Kantarovski (26yo Australian DM/DC, MC)

Cameron Howieson (23yo New Zealand AMC/MC, ML, ST) – 8 Caps

Michael McGlinchey (31yo New Zealand AMC/AMRL) – 54 Caps, 4 Goals

Matthew Ridenton (22yo New Zealand MC/DM) – 2 Caps

Alex Rufer (22yo New Zealand MC/MR, AMC, ST) – 4 Caps

Wingers

Parkhouse impressed on the left last year and he'll have to be at his best again this year. His main backup is again James McGarry but he will have to improve to earn a new deal. On the right Krishna stepped up when Barbarouses was sold and he'll be challenged by new signing, Epifano. There is also plenty of cover with Rufer, McGlinchey & Howieson (from midfield) + Rogerson ( from up front) all capable of moving out wide.

Roy Krishna (30yo Fijian AMRL, ST) (Foreign) – 35 Caps, 14 Goals

Nick Epifano (24yo Australian AMRL/AMC)

Adam Parkhouse (26yo Australian ML)

James McGarry (20yo New Zealand ML/MC)

Strikers

I'm expecting big things from new signing, Pedrozo after our struggles last year. Simon will drop to a squad option while the injury prone Rogerson will be hoping for improvement. I've also promoted talented youngster IJzerman with the intention of giving him a little gametime.

Fabricio Pedrozo (25yo Argentinian ST/AML) (Foreign)

Matt Simon (32yo Australian ST) – 2 Caps

Logan Rogerson (20yo New Zealand ST/AMRL) – 3 Caps

Sven IJzerman (17yo New Zealand ST)

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

August/September 2018 (Part 1)

FFA Cup (First Round)

Getting used to starting with the cup and this year we get a much more normal first round draw, away to Australian amateur side Mindil Aces. With the squad all massively lacking match fitness I put out a strong side with the aim of building it for the more difficult games that will likely follow. New signings Rodic, Williams & Pedrozo start while Brindell-South, Epifano & Howieson come off the bench in the second half. After a slow start its a comfortable win and we finally have a striker who knows how to score.

DOZUMcJ.png

We fit in a friendly but I'm not impressed as the squad players are poor for much of the match before getting their act together in the final stages.

TNpT2CJ.png

FFA Cup (Second Round)

40% chance of drawing another A-League side and we get one – Away to Melbourne City. We lost all three away matches on that massive pitch last season (two against City, one against Victory) while we are also missing Krishna who is away with Fiji. It takes Melbourne less than two minutes to take the lead and I quickly realise sitting back defending on a big pitch isn't the way to go. We press forward forcing them to play quicker and eventually create a chance with Pedrozo heading in an Epifano cross. It turns out to be our only shot of the first half as we ride our luck at the back. Overall Melbourne are much the better side creating several half chances but its goals that count and when Rossi plays a ball into the channel Parkhouse slots in. With the lead we look more dangerous on the break and McGlinchey misses a clear chance to seal the win but in the end it doesn't matter as we hold on.

uiXxOzG.png

***Youth Intake***

Don't think I'll ever get used to it being as the season gets underway but anyway. Not bad at all, some rubbish, some decent and two to be really excited about. The coaches' pick is pacy winger, Tom Stroud who has bags of potential but needs work in several areas. Personally though midfielder, Simon Granger stands out. He might not have as much potential but he is virtually good enough for the first team in a backup role already.

SA0tNjj.png

f80LR2S.pngFUhzELf.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

August/September 2018 (Part 2)

The friendlies continue as I build match fitness with a clinical brace from 17yo striker IJzerman one of the highlights.

1JI1ZhI.png

FFA Cup (Quarter Final)

Five A-League sides go into the hat along with three non A-League teams. We get drawn away to Brisbane Roar which is a repeat of last season's 2nd Round match. We lost then but were unbeaten in our three league games against them so I'm quietly confident. We make a poor start as Brisbane make all the early running but after some tweaks we work our way into the match. With two DMs Brisbane are tough to break down but that doesn't matter when McGlinchey fires a rocket in from 25 yards. That turns the tide of the match as we suddenly have an element of control and look to be cruising until midway through the second half when a low shot from a narrow angle surprises Rodic. The game is there to be won and after a quiet match its Krishna who stops a deep freekick from going out before turning to find the unmarked Rossi in the box.

BkKpRgN.png

We finish pre-season? with a couple of more friendlies:

vXLfBFv.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

October 2018

t64sDuf.png

As seems to be a thing for the first match of the season we have five away on International duty but for once it works in our favour as MV are missing nine. I've also worked out you can't sit back on the Melbourne pitch so we take the game to them early. Pedrozo confidently gives us the early lead and despite MV snatching a goal in the second half we go on to win comfortably.

I'm confident going into the Jets game but both teams are poor with the ref handing cards out like candy. A mistake by Williams gifts them the lead just after halftime before they are reduced to 10 and Pedrozo is carried off injured. Krishna comes off the bench to earn a point but its more a case of neither team deserved to win.

With the FFA Cup semi final days away I rest a couple of players while I give 20yo Rogerson a chance in place of the injured Pedrozo. It proves a good choice as he flicks on a wide freekick for Boxall to fire in just before the break but the Mariners respond in the second half with a deep freekick of their own. With all to play for we push for a winner but this time Rogerson is can only find the side netting from a narrow angle as we settle for a draw.

oWQsPaU.png

FFA Cup (Semi Final)

Pedrozo is our only injury going into the Semi Final which means Rogerson gets another start up front as we look to reach our first final. After an early chance for each side which are both saved it becomes something of a battle. Both teams lack quality in the final third but we make the breakthrough when a Rogerson shot from the edge of the box deflects in off Krishna in first half injury time. The second half continues in the same vein and we think we have it won but Perth find an equaliser on 91 minutes. With two tired teams extra time wasn't pretty with the most notable event being Rossi shown a second yellow reducing us to ten. With both sides preparing for penalties a deep, early cross from Parkhouse finds Krishna between defenders and he directs in to send us into the final.

5ChQgdw.png

10 hours ago, causeforconcern said:

As someone who has been fortunate/unfortunate to watch the Phoenix regularly this thread gets my approval. Nice to see you're signing a bunch of Kiwis too.

Yep, always like to have a core of players from the same nation as the club.

If you are watching them regularly you must know several of the players then, any of them standout as better or worse than RL?

10 minutes ago, Koetzer said:

Is Wellington still unavailable for any continental cups? Remember that was a disappointment for me some years ago when I thought about a career for them.

Yeah :(

Even if we do win something we can't play in Continental competition.

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

November 2018

fCSx8R0.png

With just three days between the Cup semi final and the Adelaide match I give the players a rest from training. Despite that some are still tired but the good news is Pedrozo is back from injury albeit short of match fitness. Adelaide prove difficult to break down as they set up defensively but they look the more dangerous in the final third. That proves to be the case in the second half as Baba heads in a cross to give them the lead and when Vercauteren fires in from 25 yards its game over.

Back to full strength against the Wanderers but it doesn't seem to help as they manage to score three unanswered despite not creating a single half chance while at the other end Pedrozo seems to have forgotten how to score after his injury layoff. Half the team get warned as we look to have hit a slump.

On the back of two poor defeats I'm not expecting much against Melbourne City while both sides are missing players due to International call ups. Long shots are the order of the day as it takes 65 minutes for either side to create anything that looks like a chance. When it does its Pedrozo getting in front of his marker to slot in a Parkhouse cross but our lead doesn't last long as a driven cross deflects off a defender, Rodic gets a hand to it before Fitzgerald taps in the rebound.

The third home match in a row sees us home to Sydney who have a new 4312 formation. Krishna is an early casualty as a collision sees each side having to make a sub. It works in our favour though as the stronger McGlinchey moves wide with Rufer coming on in the middle. A corner sees Boxall pushed over to earn a penalty which McGlinchey smashes in but we fail to capitalise on the few chances that follow. The lead is tenuous and a straight forward long ball sees Campbell hold off Williams before firing in a late equaliser.

Just two points from four matches wasn't what I was expecting after our good start and even worse our performances don't look up to scratch either.

lLp5wVX.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

December 2018

rDshGiR.png

With the Cup final days away we travel to Perth hoping to put our poor form behind us. With Epifano in poor form I stick with McGlinchey out wide and Rufer in the middle and it proves to be a good choice as he fires us into an early lead from the edge of the box. Pedrozo adds a second and we seem to be cruising until just before halftime when a deflected cross falls to Wilson to pull one back. We should have been out of sight in the second half but its a nervy finish as Perth push for an equaliser but Rufer settles it with a late deflected shot.

FFA Cup (FINAL)

Krishna & Brindell-South are injured while Rossi is suspended after his red card in the semis. This leaves the defence picking itself while Rufer's performance earns him a place with McGlinchey continuing on the wing. The Victory have the better of the early game but the fans see few shots. Out of nothing Boxall wins a soft penalty from a wide freekick but I'm not complaining as McGlinchey confidently slots in. Its much the same in the second half as neither team create anything of note. The fans only see ten shots in the whole match (Six for MV, four for us) but ours still go home happy as we lift the trophy. There is a downside though as we lose Pedrozo for 6-8 weeks with strained knee ligaments.

UhtarNt.png

TE7tGmv.png

Just three days later we meet MV again, this time at home in the league. Pedrozo is a big miss up front while Krishna is still injured. I stick with Rogerson up front despite him being very average so far this season and it pays off when he fires us into the lead just before the break. MV respond in the second half with Jones heading in a corner and a 1-1 draw pretty much sums up the match. We lose another big player to injury though as McGlinchey goes off with a twisted knee.

Brisbane at home next and Rogerson is starting to benefit from regular action up front as he looks good linking play. He also plays Parkhouse in for the first goal and Parkhouse soon makes it two when he heads in a Brindell-South cross. We are in third gear for the rest of the match as Brisbane only create one real chance midway through the second half which is dragged wide.

We make a poor start away to the Jets with maybe some complacency setting in. When we fail to clear a corner they take the lead but the team have a bit of backbone now and respond well with Epifano stepping past a defender to slot in his first competitive goal for Wellington. Our two DCs combine at a corner with Boxall heading back across goal for Rossi to nod in. Newcastle cause us a few more problems in the second half when they switch to 343 but as they push forward Howieson settles it late on.

YAK6Rta.png

18 hours ago, BoxToBox said:

Now things are looking up! A cup and keeping pace at the top, some turnaround!

10 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Seconded. Very nice turnaround!

Cheers guys, always nice to get a trophy under the belt and the league seems very close this season.

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

January 2019

Transfer Window

Well, urm, quiet.

No-one is interested in any of our players while I'm happy with the squad for the rest of this season. Potentially I could improve a couple of areas but I have very little wage budget left and no spare room in the squad.

a2u2h53.png

McGlinchey & Krishna have recovered from injury but we've lost Rhys Williams for around six weeks as he has been called up by Australia for their Asian Nations Cup campaign. We start the New Year with a confident win as Rogerson breaks the deadlock when he flicks a header over an advancing keeper before no less than three players are lining up to tap in Doyle's low cross early in the second half.

Adelaide next and they come to defend which leads to next to no chances for either side. They gift us a winner though when Krishna intercepts a backpass.

Kantarovski picked up a knock before the Wanderers match which left us without a natural DM so Ridenton filled in. Its another match of few chances with two corners giving the Wanderers a comfortable half time lead. McGlinchey pulls one back from a free kick while we come close to an equaliser from a corner but we slip to our first defeat since we last played the Wanderers in November.

Pedrozo returns from injury and we need him as I don't think we've played that well the last couple of matches. It continues against MC as they take the lead through a shot from outside the box but we improve after a kick up the arse during the break. Pedrozo slips Epifano through to equalise but they are quickly ahead again from another long shot although it did look like a foul on Boxall as he lost the ball. Subs improve us as we finish strongly and a late equaliser comes when Rufer flicks on an Epifano cross for Krishna to direct in.

Away to Sydney Krishna puts an early clear chance past the post before we are forced to defend for long periods. I switch to 3232 in the second half to try & counter their 4321 formation and we improve but its Sydney that take the lead with a nothing shot from the edge of the box. Krishna misses two more clear chances before a late break sees McGlinchey fire in a deserved equaliser.

pFORlhR.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

February 2019

rnjpmtU.png

After the last few games we play much better against Perth but it makes no difference. 60%+ possession, five chances, hit the woodwork twice and yet still lose to a 25 yard shot followed by a freekick from a similar distance.

Williams is back from Australia duty but it doesn't help as our win less streak extends to five. Brisbane take an early lead with a header from a narrow angle before Pedrozo equalises. Both sides try to win but the defences are in control.

Away to MV our performances are getting worse again as they take an early lead before Rodic deflects a low cross into his own net. They add a third on the break early in the second half before Pedrozo almost single handedly drags us back into the match. First scoring himself before setting one up for Rogerson. Just as we look like stealing a point though we shoot ourselves in the foot again when Doyle hacks down their striker for a late penalty.

Six games without a win means I change it up for the Jets match. I switch to 3232 which allows us a back three of Rossi, Boxall & Williams while also giving Pedrozo closer support up front. Pedrozo unfortunately picks up another injury but Rogerson steps up giving us the lead from 30 yards. The Jets switch to 343 in the second half but it does them no favours it leaves our wing backs space to raid into, especially Brindell-South who crosses for Rogerson to add the second which seals a much needed win.

x6HsL2p.png

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

March 2019

***Contract Offer***

With three months left on my current deal the board offer me a new one - 28% wage rise for two years. I don't know if I want to stay for two more years but no harm in signing and I can apply for jobs or resign if I want to move on.

nXavFJA.png

sfcyp7H.png

Pedrozo is just about fit from his knock last week and shows just how important to us he is as he scores the first before providing the second for Epifano. Parkhouse adds a third after the break before the Mariners grab a consolation. Its a big win with just six matches to go and puts us seven points clear of 7th place.

Wanderers seem to be a bit of a bogey team for us and it again proves to be the case. Rogerson gives us the lead when McGlinchey plays him through before the Wanderers replied from a corner. Overall we edged the game but can't complain about a draw.

Away to Adelaide they set up to attack with a 433 and we are on the backfoot for most of the match. They edge the game and take the lead midway through the second half before adding a late second on the break.

Sydney are top of the table and we are at a crossroads. Win and we are in the title race, lose and we get dragged back into fighting for a playoff place. A tight game sees just a couple of half chances for each side and with defences comfortable its no surprise it ends 0-0.

From one tough game to another as Melbourne City are 2nd and we have four away on International duty. We keep it tight and it pays off when Rogerson breaks down the right cutting the ball back for McGlinchey. I also take the opportunity to give IJzerman his debut up front and he contributes by playing Parkhouse in to wrap up a win which more or less guarantees us a place in the playoffs.

VCmOCgY.png

1 minute ago, withnail316 said:

Excellent season so far :thup:

Yeah, it was close but we picked up enough points to stay towards the top.

I can't see us catching Sydney so its just a case of preparing for the playoffs.

Australia (New Zealand)

Wellington Phoenix FC

Hyundai A-League

April/May 2019

***League News***

We've made the playoffs \o/

In the Saturday matches the Wanderers could only draw with the Jets while Melbourne City beat Brisbane meaning Sydney FC, Melbourne City, Wellington, Melbourne Victory & Newcastle Jets have all qualified for the playoffs. The last spot is still up for grabs while at the top Sydney have all but claimed the title needing just two points from their last two matches. We still stand a good chance of finishing second which would mean a bye through the first playoff round. I'm torn between playing a full strength team & giving some younger players a chance of some game time.

ihprIPF.png

I decide to rotate as we have qualified with Italiano given his first start this season in goal while both youngsters Baravilala & IJzerman also start. After making a good start I'm disappointed to be behind early from Perth's only shot of the first half. We are level before the break though when 17yo IJzerman marks his first start with a deflected effort from the edge of the box. While there was an element of luck about his first there is no doubt about his brace in the second half as he chalks up an impressive hattrick. Not sure I'm ready to use him as a lone striker just yet but he seems ready to play a role as does Baravilala in defence.

Last match of the regular season is home to bottom club, Brisbane. We are second in the league one point ahead of both Melbourne clubs but I'm not that bothered where we finish so Italiano, Baravilala & IJzerman all start again. We are again behind early as Brisbane start well but once the match settles possession swings our way. Just after the break IJzerman continues to impress heading us level before Rogerson comes off the bench to score a late winner from a narrow angle.

OeAoh0A.png

Hyundai A-League Finals Series

Elimination Round

Both matches go to extra time as Melbourne Victory need penalties to beat the Jets while the Wanderers create a bit of an upset by by dumping out Melbourne City in extra time. Sydney face Melbourne Victory in the semis while we host our bogey team this season, the Wanderers.

RBomVjZ.png

Semi Final

The biggest problem about having a bye is the players going two weeks without a match meaning a drop in match fitness. We are missing two players with Kantarovski suspended & Epifano injured while I have to decide whether to start the prolific IJzerman up front.

Match fitness is an issue and perhaps contributes to our first half performance where we look off the pace as we let in two soft goals from crosses. Its a big game though and we have a big player as Pedrozo drags us back into it before the break before pulling us level in the second half. With both sides looking for a winner its Krishna from the bench who breaks from a Wanderers corner and slots in to send us into the Final.

kw4ZFfQ.png

Semi Final

Sydney had most of the play but Melbourne got the better of them 2-1 to book their place in their third Grand Final in a row.

Grand Final

Well I never expected this at the beginning of the season.

Kantarovski is back from suspension but I'm missing two – Epifano is still injured while IJzerman has earned himself a call up to the New Zealand squad for the U20 World Cup.

Its a tight match where we dominate possession, especially down the right but Fenton struggles to get the ball into the box meaning we have a number of corners. The only real chance of the half comes just before half time when the ball is slipped through to Krishna but he sees his effort saved. The second half is more of the same with hardly any shots, never mind chances. There are a bunch of tired players as we head into extra time and I think we have it won when a long diagonal ball sees Pedrozo pull away from his marker, drilling in from the edge of the box. MV fight back though equalising from a corner to take it to penalties. I'm not confident as we have only a couple of decent takers but Pedrozo & Fenton confidently slot in while Rodic saves MV's second. Rogerson simply rolls the third down the middle letting the keeper jump out of the way before Rossi sees our fourth saved. I'm thinking we are heading for sudden death but Rodic saves MV's fifth leaving Parkhouse to fire in and claim our second trophy of the season.

qxMfzxE.png

Archived