I am currently playing a Manchester City save and I am struggling a little. Tactically, I find FM17 (and FM16) more difficult than previously. I have had injury issues, but I still don't think thats the problem. I have won my first 5 games in a row, but honestly through a lot of luck - we've played small teams and been fortunate in terms of opposition red cards & penalties etc. just about scraping the win. I am not confident going into a tough run of games, I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to how I can improve my tactic.

I opted to aim for a fast, attacking strategy whereby we remain solid at the back but when we win the ball back we do so with urgency and exploit some space the opposition leave at the back. I am certain on the formation I want to play as I have set up my squad around this, so I think the only changes I could make would be in terms of team instructions/player roles. Any help is appreciated.

58d2566fe7ac5_ScreenShot2017-03-22at10_43_24.thumb.png.e2321b002b40248568607fe70bc405a8.png58d256723f44f_ScreenShot2017-03-22at10_43_39.thumb.png.9be1b0dd53567bdbca56114b26937856.png

I would say that some of your instructions and roles are a bit contradictory with each other and with your intended philosophy.

Attacking already gives you a high tempo now you've got it turned up to the max. But then you've also got Work Ball into Box on. What that might mean is that your players play it forward with extreme urgency, and then as soon as they get near the box they slow it down and probe for an opening. I don't know if that's what you're intending, or if that's even what your players are doing. Perhaps you put WBIB on because there were a lot of rushed chances, but that itself may have been a symptom of the ultra-high tempo. Sometimes this sort of combo does work in FM, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

You also have more closing down which is great, and works for a defend-from-the-front perspective. But then you have Jesus as a Trequartisa, who offers nothing in the way of pressing. I would change him to an Advanced Forward. I might also switch one of the flanks to IF-S/WB-A to offer some more variety in attack.

In summary I might try:

1. Take off Work Ball into Box, and drop the tempo one level.

2. Change your striker to an AF, and one flank to IF-S/WB-A.

Archived