Play up Pompey!

dafuge

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portsmouth - Sky Bet Championship - 2019/20

After losing out in the playoffs last season, we were hopeful of challenging for promotion this season.

League Table - we narrowly missed out on the playoffs, it was runs of successive losses during the season that cost us badly.

EFL Cup - we were the losers in a thrilling match with Forest.

FA Cup - we took Premier League Watford to a replay, but lost out in extra time.

Squad - we have decent balance in the squad, but we lack any Premier league quality players.

Transfers - free transfers were used to replaced the enforced sales.

Finances - this is a big loss, promotion next season could be crucial.

Key Player Profiles:

Anastasios Donis - top scorer again, but not as impressive as last season.

Dominic Samuel - still our second best striker, despite some competition for his place.

Liam Kelly - the new signing looked great.

Carles Gil - another new signing, and our most valuable player.

Yaw Boateng - he's highly rated, but lacks goals.

Career Overview:

Season       League                Position     Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------
2016/17      EFL League Two        3rd          Promoted
2017/18      EFL League One        2nd          Promoted
2018/19      EFL Championship      6th          Playoff semi finalists
2019/20      EFL Championship      7th          
Next Season:

The money is running out, so I've got to hope that the current squad of players can somehow challenge for promotion next season.

Portsmouth - Sky Bet Championship - 2020/21

Last season was disappointing as we slipped back and missed out on the playoffs, this season I was hopeful of challenging for promotion again.

League Table - we were top the league for much of the first half of the season, but we ended up settling for the playoffs.

Playoff semi final leg 1 - we grabbed a vital late winner.

Playoff semi final leg 2 - we just about hung on despite a lot of late pressure.

Playoff final - it was a surprisingly easy win as we won promotion to the Premier League.

EFL Cup - we had a good run but got battered by Arsenal.

FA Cup - we threw away our lead against Palace.

Squad - we don't have a single Premier league quality player, so there's work to do.

Transfers - just a few backup players sold, we couldn't afford any signings.

Finances - I cashed in a transfer clause to balance the books.

Key Player Profiles:

Anastasios Donis - top scorer again, but the goals were shared around this season.

Yaw Boateng - he finally started scoring.

Maurice Litka - another good season for the winger.

Kenji Gorré - our most valuable player.

Tom Ross - he's improved nicely, could even be a starter next season.

Career Overview:

2020/21      EFL Championship      5th          Playoff winners
Next Season:

Survival is all I'm hoping for next season, I'll need a number of key signings to make that happen.

Nice to finally win in the playoffs, it came at an important time too since it looks like you were starting to run out of money. Most of the season's already been played from the look of it so I hope it's gone well, the important thing is that you can consolidate for a few seasons and rack up some TV money.

Kirby and Bradbrook look like nice prospects too, particularly Bradbrook since he's already got a fair amount of double-digit attributes in each category. How's his professionalism looking, if you can view that?

5 minutes ago, Stocke said:

Kirby and Bradbrook look like nice prospects too, particularly Bradbrook since he's already got a fair amount of double-digit attributes in each category. How's his professionalism looking, if you can view that?

I can't see that, but his personality of 'driven' sounds good.

Portsmouth - Premier League - 2021/22

After an unexpected promotion we were faced with the challenge of surviving in the top flight.

League Table - we stayed up, but our leaky defence cost us on far too may occasions.

EFL Cup - we had a brilliant (but fortunate) run playing the backup players, but our luck ran out in the semi finals.

FA Cup - it was a tough draw to play Man City away this early.

Squad - we have a number of decent players, but our squad depth is terrible with a large number of Championship quality players.

Transfers - I concentrated on bringing in young players, in the hope we would be stronger next season.

Finances - the TV money gave us a great profit, which should mean a lot of improvements to the facilities.

Key Player Profiles:

Yaw Boateng - top scorer, but he's not good enough for this level.

Federico De Angeli - a decent supporting striker, but he needs a better strike partner.

Juliano Lopez - a bargain at £1.2m.

Diego Silva - the big money signing is our most valuable player.

Adri Román - a great young defender.

Career Overview:

2021/22      Premier League        14th         
Next Season:

The squad is far too weak, but that might take me a few years to rectify. My priority for next season is getting a new striker capable of leading the line.

Good job surviving!

Kirby got a lot of time as well and did okay, I'd say. Bradbook (that name has a good ring to it) wasn't ready yet but he is still far ahead of his age.

Will be interesting to see if you can take a step further up the league table or if you stay in the bottom half.

Good Job surviving the Premier League.

First and Especially Second seasons are especially difficult to stay up........especially when there are 4-5 Super team.....you almost always lose to.........

and early Transfer +Wage Budgets often aren't enough to attract World Class players needed to compete for Title.

I'm sure you will survive though...........just a matter of time till your the Champion!

(I've read enough of your other careers)

Portsmouth - Premier League - 2022/23

Last season we survived, finishing in a respectable 14th position. Any improvement on that would be great for this season.

League Table - we finished two places better than last season, but our form at the end was a worry. Still, that was nothing compared to the six straight defeats we had in November/December. Perhaps the biggest story was at the top of the table, as Liverpool beat City on the final day, handing the title to United!

EFL Cup - it was a short run as our fringe players suffered a beating at West Brom.

FA Cup - despite going in to the final on terrible form with a number of injuries, we managed a smash and grab win to lift the cup! We were more than a bit lucky with the draws!

Squad - most of the players who won us promotion are gone now, but there's a few spots that need filling or improving.

Transfers - I spent big in the hope of pushing in to the top half. We didn't quite make it, but some of these players could be important next season.

Finances - the balance looks good, so I should be able to spend a bit of money next season.

Key Player Profiles:

Evgeny Smirnov - the new signing was our top scorer, but I'm hoping there's more to come from him.

Federico De Angeli - a decent striker, but one of the weak links in my team.

Juliano Lopez - one of my first signings in the Premier League, and still one of my best.

José Cruz - the January signing who could be vital next season.

Adri Román - it looks like Liverpool will try again to sign this key defender.

Career Overview:

2022/23      Premier League        12th         FA Cup winners
Next Season:

Playing in Europe next season came as a huge surprise, but we don't really have the squad to cope with it. I'm going to need a number of new players just to cope with the extra fixtures.

Just now, GryphonFlick said:

Dion Lis, what a player already.

Has he had any significant game time in the first team yet? Or are you holding him back for now?

I sold my backup right winger to use Lis as a second choice, then my star winger got injured for months!

Portsmouth - Premier League - 2023/24

Last season we lifted the FA Cup, so this season we had the challenge of dealing with the extra fixtures playing in Europe.

League Table - we finished 12th again, but a lot of the losses were due to bad injuries and prioritising cup games.

Community Shield - we lost out in the season opener.

EFL Cup - I wasn't too worried about losing early in this one.

FA Cup - we had another decent run, but were beaten by the better team.

Europa League - I started taking this seriously in the knockout stages, and the draws kept favouring us. We beat Feyenoord (who were really lucky to be there) easily in the final.

Squad - the youngsters got a decent number of games as we struggled with injuries and fixture congestion.

Transfers - four of these were key players for the first team.

Finances - we are doing well for money.

Key Player Profiles:

Tim Bradbrook - with Smirnov injured for 4 months, the youngster took his chance in the team.

Peter Alonso - the new supporting striker.

Diego Silva - he missed 4 months through injury, but still had a decent season.

Evgeny Smirnov - our most valuable player, despite having a season to forget.

Liam Kirby - he's our first choice AMC now.

Career Overview:

2023/24      Premier League        12th         Europa League winners
Next Season:

We are in the Champions League next season, but we are not at all ready. I need to sign a few new players to give us the squad depth to cope with the extra fixtures.

12 hours ago, oohlala111 said:

@dafuge Wow! From League 2 to Champions League in 8 seasons!! Congrats on winning the Europa- you said you weren't ready for the EL last time, could that be an omen? ;) 

We've taken such a weird route to get there though!

A load of easy draws in the FA Cup got us into the Europa League, then a load of easy draws (apart from maybe Roma) got us into the Champions League. My players are still happy with my aim of finishing in the top half!

10 hours ago, Keano16 said:

Well, that's impressive! Do you think you can compete again next year?

I still think that the bigger clubs will beat us, and we are bound to meet one sooner rather than later in the Champions League. An improvement on 12th would be nice though!

Portsmouth - Premier League - 2024/25

After two amazing cup victories in the last two years, we found ourselves playing Champions League football, but could we improve on our best league finish of 12th?

League Table - it was an improvement of one place, but Southampton overtaking us on the final day ruined our season.

UEFA Super Cup - we took a thumping in our season opener.

EFL Cup - despite fielding our backup players, we had a decent run.

FA Cup - again, our backup players gave us another good cup performance.

UEFA Champions League - we had a few great results, but too many poor ones to look like potential winners.

Squad - this squad is pretty great, but they just don't seem to be getting the results they are capable of.

Transfers - I probably made too many changes this season.

Finances - I might need to be a bit more careful next season without the Champions League money.

Key Player Profiles:

Evgeny Smirnov - top scorer again, but still struggles for form at times.

Nestoras Ktistopoulos - an amazing new signing.

Tim Bradbrook - a brilliant striker to have on the bench.

Reginaldo - a much needed solid defender.

Tiago - the new striker had his moments, but failed to make a major impact.

Career Overview:

2023/24      Premier League        12th         Europa League winners
2024/25      Premier League        11th         
Next Season:

I'm looking on the positive side of missing out on Europe, we should be able to concentrate on putting together a proper challenge in the league. I'm hopeful that we can finally break into the top half next season!

4 minutes ago, dafuge said:

I'm looking on the positive side of missing out on Europe, we should be able to concentrate on putting together a proper challenge in the league. I'm hopeful that we can finally break into the top half next season!

Don't you get into the Champions League because you won the Europa League?

1 minute ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Haha. I'm still on a mission to get you into a Youth only save. THAT will put the brakes on you a little. :lol:

I've tried it for parts of my saves over the years but I always end up getting really frustrated at having rubbish players and there's always one position I can't fill in my team!

5 minutes ago, Northernpilgrim said:

How are Plymouth Argyle getting on? Have we got out of League 2 yet? Can't quite believe we've done it IRL, probably won't fully sink in until I see the fixtures for next season :)

It took Plymouth a while to get out of League 2, but they went on to make the Championship for a couple of years (before getting relegated).

I never understand playing backups in the FA Cup. It's a good route into Europe for a club like yours, plus it's on Saturdays so it doesn't actually generate as much congestion as the Mickey Mouse cup.

11 minutes ago, Lenzar said:

I never understand playing backups in the FA Cup. It's a good route into Europe for a club like yours, plus it's on Saturdays so it doesn't actually generate as much congestion as the Mickey Mouse cup.

My backup players are pretty decent though, there's not much difference between them and my first team. I have 22 Premier League quality players, so I need to rotate them to give them all game time.

Archived