Sports Interactive Community
gonzález

Upgrading Training Facilities

I'm not sure this is a bug so I've written it here.

I have, in 16 years of playing FM17 (game time) never had the option to ask for an improvement to my training facilities. I have upgraded my youth recruitment, youth acaedmy and expanded my stadium to the max, but still have 'poor' training facilities. It's getting to the point where I'm a big club now and really need something decent. Playing PL football and also Europa League, so it's really frustrating. 

Is there something I'm missing? Or could this be a bug? Or is it just my team (FC United) that won't allow it?

Thanks.

So you don't have the option when you visit the boardroom & request a meeting to discuss the options available?

Do you own a training facility? If you don't own your own training facilities (train at a local school as many non-league teams do) you won't be allowed to improve facilities as you don't own those facilities.

What does it say on club info screen? 

What are your finances like?

On saying that, it maybe a case that there isn't an option to buy a new training ground (not many clubs do this) or it could be that SI didn't think it was worth adding to the game when there's such a small % of clubs that would actually need this option.

As Tipps said, you have no facilities to upgrade.

But, you could be sharing a training facility with an affiliate. If not, ask for one to share training facilities with.

Never come across this but if they've actually omitted the feature it's pretty poor. What's the point in taking a tiny club to the top and being unable to do something simple like upgrade/buy a new training ground.

2 hours ago, wattzy said:

Never come across this but if they've actually omitted the feature it's pretty poor. What's the point in taking a tiny club to the top and being unable to do something simple like upgrade/buy a new training ground.

Depends entirely on the team, I would guess you were unlucky in your choice. I've taken Dartford to the Premier League and had no problems upgrading anything, unless it was down to an argument with the board. 

Could be a unique situation with FC United, but I can't say for sure.. 

On 21/03/2017 at 06:03, rinso said:

Depends entirely on the team, I would guess you were unlucky in your choice. I've taken Dartford to the Premier League and had no problems upgrading anything, unless it was down to an argument with the board. 

Could be a unique situation with FC United, but I can't say for sure.. 

I've done the same with Oxford City and no problems upgrading etc.. however I did build a new stadium and my old stadium has become the training ground. Have you tried building a new stadium see if this solves the problem?

I recently came across this issue as well and was searching google for answers when I came across this post. I had brought a lower league team to the premier league and had over £100m in the bank and still the board gave me no option to improve my stadium.

I realised the issue was I was sharing my training facilities with an affiliate so therefore could not upgrade them as I did not own them.

Cancel your affiliation. you will then have to wait till the end of the season when your link is officially terminated. You should then have the option in your board requests to upgrade your training facilities.

Wish I knew that a couple seasons ago. Gonna take ages to upgrade them to the standard i'm at now.

I'm managing FC United (only for two years and just reached League 2), and I upgraded the facilities the first year. My facilities are considered "Basic" (worse than below average?), and I still have the option to ask the board to upgrade them. In my game, I've never seen the opportunity to ask for increased scouting range although with promotion to the Football League, they upgraded me to the UK and Ireland without me asking. Perhaps different boards have different ideas? My possible bug is that my U18 and U23 teams didn't end up in a league although that was board-mandated for the U18s and manager-requested for the U23s. 

As an aside (if it's okay to do...not trying to derail the topic), any tips on taking FC United all the way to the PL? In spite of being in a big city, I'm concerned our small stadium will quickly catch up to us and that we won't be able to build a new one because the ground is just a few years old.

If your constantly getting 100% attendance for home games and going up the leagues getting a higher reputation (And more fans with it) I've found the board will normally plan a stadium expansion and add 5,000-10,000 extra seats to your current stadium. 

Tbh Ive never felt the stadium size has held me back getting into the PL, more just the quality of the training facilities and youth structure and of course finances.

As for tips I always exploit the free agent market (In july when clubs release their youth players its like xmas) and the loan system.

In LLM I tend to buy players with high bravery (key for winning 50/50s IMO), determination, work rate and teamwork (So basically hardworking players). Pace is also deadly. I feel with these attributes my teams always tend to overachieve. As the quality between clubs isn't that far apart below league 1 it shouldn't be to much of a challenge getting there. Getting out of the championship though is a mother****er as you'll probably find yourself with a team full of league 1 and 2 players going against teams recently removed from the premier league.

I can ask my board to upgrade but the keep refusing with the excuse they are good enough compared to other teams, got basic training facilities and are playing PL and CL football. Can't really find other PL teams with that bad facilities. At the same time they are find the youth recruitment and developing young players to be extremly important and I can get them to pretty much agree to anything when it comes to youth coaching and recruitment and so on but when I want facilities that actually would make it possible for the players to develop is is like hitting a brick wall with a sponge.

2 hours ago, mimland said:

I can ask my board to upgrade but the keep refusing with the excuse they are good enough compared to other teams, got basic training facilities and are playing PL and CL football. Can't really find other PL teams with that bad facilities. At the same time they are find the youth recruitment and developing young players to be extremly important and I can get them to pretty much agree to anything when it comes to youth coaching and recruitment and so on but when I want facilities that actually would make it possible for the players to develop is is like hitting a brick wall with a sponge.

Sounds like possibly a board philosophy issue. I'm assuming you have, but does asking for the training facilities so that your players can reach their potential bring any joy?

17 hours ago, Cuenca Guy said:

Sounds like possibly a board philosophy issue. I'm assuming you have, but does asking for the training facilities so that your players can reach their potential bring any joy?

Nope, been trying all the different options available and they are totally convinced our facilities are more than good enough for our level, no matter how I try to motivate it. One thing is for sure and it is not an financial issue as we got money and they are more than willing to do almost anything else.

smh. Thats really bad. Your chairman/owner must have a really low hidden attribute in something or other to flat out refuse to upgrade your training facilities no matter what you tell them. 

I think you've really got three options then:

1) When your due a new contract add upgrade facilities as one of your conditions to renewing it.

2) When your in a position of strength make an ultimatum, although this is extremely risky and probably a bad idea, Ive been fired doing this before in a previous FM even after winning the league.

3) Wait till your club gets taken over by a new chairman lool.

2 hours ago, kasualuser said:

3) Wait till your club gets taken over by a new chairman lool.

That's the good and the bad of managing FC United...you don't have to wait long for the new chairman. Our first season, there was an election in October, and we got a new chairman. Top of the league and the like didn't matter much. We got a little goodwill carryover but had to start again. Two years later, we'd won back-to-back league titles and were around the playoff positions in League 2 as the next election took place. Of course, they elected another chairman. Thankfully, the board expects me to get relegated, and we've pushed on to 2nd (only 11 games into the season), so I'm back up to Untouchable, but I don't know what the fans want. Unless the old chairman was noncommittal about me and the new one said I could manage at the club for life, I can't understand why they'd select a new chairman. Back-to-back promotions to the Football League? I'm voting not to change anything.

It seems like some emotional blackmail worked wonders, as the "after all I've done for the club..." got them to agree to the improvement after 25+ tries. Got a bit peeved when I saw the cost was just 400k as we are rich and have 70M in the bank and still got some CL money coming in. Not sure what the fuss was all about.